Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

comedyblissoption posted:

is it bad that the manga thread isn't clearly named for anime watchers

What are you talking about? It has a MANGA icon right next to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Schwarzwald posted:

Maybe he's legitimately hoping to fulfill his father's wish of using it's power to free his people.
Seems potentially likely. Every good story makes the villain sympathetic or understandable by the end in some way.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Watching the episode again I'm wishing they did more with Bertholdt in the end. I mean he had his cool "gently caress all yall" moment when he nuked the scouts but other than that, he's more of an observer when in human form; Reiner obv. takes command of most things, and beyond him it's Monkey Trouble. I guess it's to add to the irony that the biggest baddest cover art titan just so happens to be the of the shyest nondescript characters in the show.

Still, seeing the utter dread and hesitation crawl over his face when Reiner starts blabbing, I felt for the guy a little, especially when Reiner said they were only kids and such. Oh and the expression he had mid-transformation where it looks like the colossal titan is crying, fuuuck, someone posted that I think right?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
You did realize you posted in the manga thread, right?

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Do yall not watch the anime?

I'm up to date with the manga so I didn't really want to participate in the anime thread convo.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
This is basically just the spoiler friendly thread. There's been a lot of both manga and anime discussion.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

HoneyBoy posted:

Watching the episode again I'm wishing they did more with Bertholdt in the end. I mean he had his cool "gently caress all yall" moment when he nuked the scouts but other than that, he's more of an observer when in human form; Reiner obv. takes command of most things, and beyond him it's Monkey Trouble. I guess it's to add to the irony that the biggest baddest cover art titan just so happens to be the of the shyest nondescript characters in the show.

Still, seeing the utter dread and hesitation crawl over his face when Reiner starts blabbing, I felt for the guy a little, especially when Reiner said they were only kids and such. Oh and the expression he had mid-transformation where it looks like the colossal titan is crying, fuuuck, someone posted that I think right?

Agreed, I think Bertolt deserved a bigger last hurrah than what he got. He was an intriguing character because he was the iconic antagonist of the series but we only got a few glimpses of his character before he got eaten by Armin. The fact that the Colossal Titan turned out to be a perpetually sweating, pitiful milquetoast was such a great story beat because, despite that, he never stopped being a threat. After all, he stayed true to the mission rather than "go native" like Reiner and, for the brief period in Shiganshima where he finally finds his resolve, he becomes so dangerous that he goes toe to toe with Mikasa, trashes Eren's titan, and temporarily breaks Armin's brain. It's not every day you see a villain overcome his fear and gain an anime power up from self actualization but drat is it cool to see. It's just too bad that nothing Bertolt did really stuck other than killing the Survey Corps red shirts. Armin's survival especially made Bertolt's defeat feel unearned.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah I really liked how he was ridiculously strong once he got his resolve. Anyway it seems like shifters inherit the memories of their predecessors so maybe we'll see some more Bert in Armin.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
More stuff like this?

Crying titans are creepy

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

HoneyBoy posted:

Do yall not watch the anime?

I'm up to date with the manga so I didn't really want to participate in the anime thread convo.

I was just not sure, didn't want you to get spoiled accidentally!

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Could I have a link to the point in this thread where the basement's contents were revealed? Just caught up on the manga after stopping during the political drama arc and sheesh

e. NVM Found Chapter 86, the beginning of the Grisha infodump, on page 277.

net cafe scandal fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 12, 2017

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

quote not edit

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Do you think bertholdt was partly chosen as the colossal titan because your own physical features determine the power of the transformation and he was tall? If so, armin is gonna be a tiny colossal titan.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Do you think bertholdt was partly chosen as the colossal titan because your own physical features determine the power of the transformation and he was tall? If so, armin is gonna be a tiny colossal titan.

Maybe it's the other way around. The user takes on some characteristics of their titan.

forhorglingrads
Aug 14, 2003

We didn't see that with Eren. Eren had an Eren looking Titan, then when he ate Grisha, his titan look changed quite a bit. Though he does have two titan powers within him.

forhorglingrads fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 14, 2017

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Perhaps the host's subconscious affects how a titan will look, and Armin really, really wants to be tall.
A colossal colossal titan.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Not Keyser Soze posted:

I haven't watched many anime after having read the manga first (or so extensively), is it typical for shows derived from manga for the openings to have so many spoilers crammed in them? I was just watching the ones from the first season and they will have all the Shifters constantly appearing together in shots or juxtaposed in really obvious ways. This season's opening has a quick shot of a bunch of titans dragging down another Titan which seems to obviously be the Coordinate ability.

The Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei anime had spoilers for the manga's big twist ending that was years away from happening.

So, yeah, some do.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 14, 2017

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Happy Mother's Day! Two-in-one special!

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Terper posted:

Happy Mother's Day! Two-in-one special!

That was quite the twist.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
It was so easy for it to just not happen too, like it just so happens to be Grisha's wife because it adds another layer of edgy irony lol

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

HoneyBoy posted:

It was so easy for it to just not happen too, like it just so happens to be Grisha's wife because it adds another layer of edgy irony lol

I think she was actually looking for Grisha.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

AtheistMantis posted:

I think she was actually looking for Grisha.

Holy poo poo what if Deviant type titans are ones chasing after family

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I think it's that there are as many types of mindless titan as there are types of titan shifter. Deviants are a result of the fact that Marley has primarily used a single strand of titan serum, and so titans made from an other strands behave in a manner against the norm.

It's already been outright stated that titans made from Zeke's spinal fluid have the traits of being functional in moonlight and being partly subservient to Zeke. Presumably most other mindless titans put on Paradise Island were made from the spinal fluid of a different type of shifter.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

I think it's that there are as many types of mindless titan as there are types of titan shifter. Deviants are a result of the fact that Marley has primarily used a single strand of titan serum, and so titans made from an other strands behave in a manner against the norm.

It's already been outright stated that titans made from Zeke's spinal fluid have the traits of being functional in moonlight and being partly subservient to Zeke. Presumably most other mindless titans put on Paradise Island were made from the spinal fluid of a different type of shifter.

yea but it was also said that nobody's ever done that before, so presumably what zeke does is because he's a descendant of the royal family. controlling the mindless titans is their shtick after all, so it's plausible his limited control comes from being one of the special titans but not the coordinator

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Looking at the enemy is great and all, but I really want to see Paradis Island.

I imagine they have been on total war footing for 4 years and have been unmolested, beyond those delicious destroyer nugget of technology that was so helpfully sent to them.

Let's see, what can a destroyer provide technology wise?

-Botes. Real seagoing vessels, not that flat bottom river ferries they have.
-Advanced metallurgy. While destroyers don't have much armor, that armor joining and steel composition can be researched.
-Combustion engines. Coal, oil, gas and diesel I would suspect. What nation has a ton of gas?
- Better artillery. Not huge mind you, but rifling, shells, better distance etc.
- blasting caps.
- Radio, possibly. (They may just use flag and light signalling though)
- Better handheld weaponry from Marlian Marines (I am assuming you have marines on an expedition like this).
- Military intelligence. A lot of those sailors were taken prisoner.

That's just from the ships. They also have the entire island now, plus population controls have been lifted.

Frankly the Marlians are going into this underestimating what kind of fight Paradis is going to put up. In addition you have a large population that will be sympathetic or may uprise? The captive Eldians don't revolt because they are utterly outmatched and can't go to a foreign power for aid.

Finally, Marley just came out of a massive war. They have war exhaustion. Paradis is ready and eager.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
This is just speculation, but what if we never get back to Paradise at all? Maybe the Marleyans will get all set to launch an expedition to send Zeke and pals over, only to have the colossal titan show up at their harbor.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
What kind of damage would result if the colossal titan attacked while being half submerged in water? Would he last longer? Would he be able to cover a larger area in steam?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Donkringel posted:

That's just from the ships. They also have the entire island now, plus population controls have been lifted.

I'm not sure a bunch of ten year olds are going to make a huge difference in war

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Schwarzwald posted:

This is just speculation, but what if we never get back to Paradise at all? Maybe the Marleyans will get all set to launch an expedition to send Zeke and pals over, only to have the colossal titan show up at their harbor.

There's a theory going around that Eren, Armin, and the rest of Paradis crew have already infiltrated Marley and are going to launch an attack very soon... like next chapter soon. There's a strange panel in the latest chapter where someone who looks suspiciously like Eren as we last saw him is seen from behind watching Reiner and the other junior Eldians. Although the person is wearing an Eldian badge, he's wearing it on the wrong arm.

Perhaps the reason we've spent the last few chapters developing the characters in Marley is to capture their horror when the Attack Titan and the Colossal Titan suddenly attack, in a reversal of the beginning of the series.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I hadn't noticed that!

The manga has consistently focused on the people being attacked rather than the people attacking, so the fact that we're now following this new group of people is enough to make me suspicious that the old crew is now on the aggressive.

Now that you've pointed out those panels, I'm all but convinced.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it'd be a pretty cool turnaround to have the people of marley attacked in the same way as they've been assaulting other places, specifically the island where most of this has taken place

wonder if they did anything with annie in the time since we last saw them. is she still a crystal? if not, is she still in the dungeon? if they found any more of the titan making stuff, they could even have fed her to someone else

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Oh man, I was kinda thinking how interesting it would be to flip the story like that, with Marley being subtly invaded by Paradis and it might be true!? Sweet.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

In It For The Tank posted:

There's a theory going around that Eren, Armin, and the rest of Paradis crew have already infiltrated Marley and are going to launch an attack very soon... like next chapter soon. There's a strange panel in the latest chapter where someone who looks suspiciously like Eren as we last saw him is seen from behind watching Reiner and the other junior Eldians. Although the person is wearing an Eldian badge, he's wearing it on the wrong arm.

Perhaps the reason we've spent the last few chapters developing the characters in Marley is to capture their horror when the Attack Titan and the Colossal Titan suddenly attack, in a reversal of the beginning of the series.

Oda does it again

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I get the impression Marley would be kinda boned if the Eldians managed to attack in a way that quickly defeated some/all of their own titans, since (as others have mentioned) Marley is probably uniquely poorly equipped to face Titans itself. Right now Marley still has an advantage Titan-wise (Beast + Armor + Jaw + Mule vs. Colossal + Attack + maybe Female), but that could turn around if just one or two of those opposing titans were defeated (not to mention the fact that if they attack a city/the capital when the titans aren't there they wouldn't do any good).

There's one thing that makes me unsure about that guy in the picture being Eren, though; aren't Reiner (etc) in the recently captured Middle Eastern Union city right now? It seems like it would make more sense to infiltrate the Marleyan capital or something. Also, I imagine that Marley must have some sort of Nazi-quality identification/paperwork system set up, which would make it tough to just slip in and imitate a (captive) Eldian.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ytlaya posted:

Also, I imagine that Marley must have some sort of Nazi-quality identification/paperwork system set up, which would make it tough to just slip in and imitate a (captive) Eldian.

They can fly over any checkpoints with 3d gear.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Eren may have figured out how to use the Coordinate after 4 years, so Marley having more titan shifters may not matter at all.

He doesn't even necessarily have to have the power to control titan shifters. He could just control Chekov's wall titans.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Eren may have figured out how to use the Coordinate after 4 years, so Marley having more titan shifters may not matter at all.

a saddle for christa shouldn't need that long to make

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

A boat smacks into a weird boulder. The boulder grows bigger and reveals itself to be the head of the colossal titan. Everyone in the boat panics. Further off in the distance, there's dozens more weird boulders.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

A boat smacks into a weird boulder. The boulder grows bigger and reveals itself to be the head of the colossal titan. Everyone in the boat panics. Further off in the distance, there's dozens more weird boulders.

That sounds like a chapter of Jojo's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Schwarzwald posted:

That sounds like a chapter of Jojo's.

「THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS」