Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Levitate posted:

The Kelty Cosmic Down 20 has generally been considered a good low cost down bag. It's not actually going to be comfortable down to 20 degrees but mid 30's might be a comfortable range depending on how warm you sleep. It's pretty cheap, pretty light...main thing really is just that it's not going to be as warm as a real good expensive bag, but if you don't need it to handle below freezing temps it should be good

Seconded. I have this bag and love it, but it only sleeps comfortably until you get to the lowers 30s. I've used it down to 19 degrees before (not a fun night), and just this past weekend used it down to 28 (still didn't sleep great from 3am-5am).

Why haven't I gotten a lower rated bag yet???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Are those cra(e)pe myrtles?

They have the most beautiful bark and I have no idea why we butcher them as landscape plants.

They're snow gums, I think. Beautiful tree

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Thanks for all of those who gave me tips a few months ago about Glacier. Thankfully with your feedback and some rescheduling I was able to secure a 4 night itinerary for the Nyack Creek loop in September! Super excited to go. Plan on doing the loop in 3-4 days and then spending the rest of the week doing some shorter out and back day hikes. Any recommendations on fun lodges or hotels in the area?

Serranos Mexican in east glacier was quite good. Dancing Bears Inn also had a very knowledgeable owner / manager and was totally adequate as a hotel. Don't have much to recommend in that respect on the west side. Granted I went in May when it was not really in season. Have fun!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

REI's big sale is this weekend, with some pretty good deals and that 20% off coupon (even better at REI Garage), but, look everywhere because places like Backcountry are matching or beating them on tons of stuff.

I just bought a Helium II for 25% off and free two-day shipping on backcountry.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I have a $100 REI gift card from signing up for their credit card. Good time to use it I guess.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Anybody here use ActiveJunky? I haven't done the shopping rewards thing before but I thought I would try it out with all the mountaineering gear I need to buy.

I also have noticed that nearly every retailer is having a sale right now. The crampons that I want to buy are 20% off everywhere I look.

ronaldreagan
Mar 25, 2005

Verman posted:

Anybody here use ActiveJunky? I haven't done the shopping rewards thing before but I thought I would try it out with all the mountaineering gear I need to buy.

I use them for most of my Cabela's purchases, haven't had any issues. Since the payouts are quarterly, I usually forget about them by the time I get paid though.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Verman posted:

I also have noticed that nearly every retailer is having a sale right now. The crampons that I want to buy are 20% off everywhere I look.

It's the REI anniversary sale at the moment and most other outdoor retailers go on sale during REI sales to match.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
"Memorial Day Sales"

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Anyone have recommendations for a light weight jacket for when it's hot out but still raining?

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

REI's big sale is this weekend, with some pretty good deals and that 20% off coupon (even better at REI Garage), but, look everywhere because places like Backcountry are matching or beating them on tons of stuff.

I just bought a Helium II for 25% off and free two-day shipping on backcountry.

Thanks for the heads up, I was waiting for the REI sale to get that jacket.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Any thoughts on the REI quarter dome 2 for $260, or from backcountry: the MSR Hubba Hubba for $320, Kelty TN2 for $200, or the Marmot Tungsten UL 2 for $240?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Splinter posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a light weight jacket for when it's hot out but still raining?

The Precip is good for under $100, but anything that keeps rain out is gonna make you sweat like a pig. My bro will take an umbrella on easy trails and as silly as it looks, it seems to work great for him.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'm in Gatlinburg. It's everything I imagined.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

My boots are giving me blisters on the back of my heels, because the fabric has worn off. Are there some kinda foam pads I can put in there so I don't have to buy new boots? I couldn't find the right thing at REI wen I looked.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

My boots are giving me blisters on the back of my heels, because the fabric has worn off. Are there some kinda foam pads I can put in there so I don't have to buy new boots? I couldn't find the right thing at REI wen I looked.
Duct tape. (You could put some thick moleskin under it if you really need cushion)

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Depending how much room you have you could just use a an ankle sock wrapped around the back of your heel. But I'm also curious if there's a better solution.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
Ask at a shoe repair place?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

ihop posted:

Any thoughts on the REI quarter dome 2 for $260, or from backcountry: the MSR Hubba Hubba for $320, Kelty TN2 for $200, or the Marmot Tungsten UL 2 for $240?

I can only speak for the Quarter Dome and the Kelty TN2. I own an older version quarterdome and have used a TN2 on a trip with a friend. I think the Quarter Dome is one of, if not the best, bang for your buck tents you can buy. The kelty is fine but a bit heavy and I didnt prefer it to the Quarter Dome. The Quarter Dome is light enough that I've packed it on solo trips to use. Standard disclaimer about tent sizes apply, its a 2 person tent so long as you are very comfortable with that second person. For a one man it's a great size, has the two vestibules to store gear. I've used it enough that I can set it up in about 5 minutes now. It holds up pretty well too, in the 5+ years I've had mine the only repair I've had to make is sewing in a screen patch for a hole my dumb dog clawed.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I can only speak for the Quarter Dome and the Kelty TN2. I own an older version quarterdome and have used a TN2 on a trip with a friend. I think the Quarter Dome is one of, if not the best, bang for your buck tents you can buy. The kelty is fine but a bit heavy and I didnt prefer it to the Quarter Dome. The Quarter Dome is light enough that I've packed it on solo trips to use. Standard disclaimer about tent sizes apply, its a 2 person tent so long as you are very comfortable with that second person. For a one man it's a great size, has the two vestibules to store gear. I've used it enough that I can set it up in about 5 minutes now. It holds up pretty well too, in the 5+ years I've had mine the only repair I've had to make is sewing in a screen patch for a hole my dumb dog clawed.

Yeah I'm really stuck between the QD2 and the MSR. I'd be primarily using the tent solo or with a dog. I'm​ okay with packing a 2 person tent for the extra space and comfort. I like the price and extra few inches of headspace in the QD, but I like the square floorspace of the MSR in case I do manage to drag someone with me, plus its overwhelming popularity.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

This was one of the larger of these tree things(not sure what they are) that I've seen.

Also I went on a walking holiday to Ireland recently and it's got some amazing countryside.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I've used a quarter dome with a big sleeping partner and a dog, and it was tight, but with gear in the vestibules it's doable. I like my quarter dome. Got it on sale and it's served me well.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Alan_Shore posted:

I was worried about you, but glad to hear you made the climb in the Smokies. I hate I missed you. I'm currently in Oklahoma and will be at the Grand Canyon tomorrow. Good luck!

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

bongwizzard posted:

As for day packs, I am in love with the Osprey Talon 11. It's big and can comfortably carry 2 liter bottles of water, first aid/emergency kit a good amount of snacks/lunch, and a single light layer, all without feeling too full. I have use one of my warm weather day pack for the past 2/3 years, and absolutely love it. This past fall I bought the 22 L version of the pack for winter use, as I tend to start the day fully layered then end up finishing most hikes in just a T-shirt with a shell over it. The 22 L has an adjustable frame length while the 11 does not, which is great if you like to fuss around with that.

Dangerllama posted:

As for a day pack, I really like the Talon 22. It's big enough for longer days, but light weight enough that you can also just throw a water bottle, jacket, first aid kit, and go.

Flambeau posted:

I got a $30 daypack with 2-litre reservoir from Academy Sports that works great for simple day trips. I use it every weekend. It's not ultralight or high-tech, just holds stuff on your back all day. Biggest drawback is that the outer pocket looks like it's detachable but actually isn't. Also one of the straps came off after about 6 months but "I" sewed it back on and haven't had any more issues.

Verman posted:

Personally, a good daypack for my needs should be able to hold enough water, food, extra layers (rain, insulation or both), and a small first aid kit and whatever else I find necessary for a standard day hike ranging from 4-15 miles (anywhere from 3-12 hours). My current daypack is a Mountain Hardwear Cima Alta 25 which has been discontinued. I've been debating picking up a slightly larger, more structured backpack like an osprey for day hikes but I have yet to hit a point where I thought I needed something more. I have a Gregory 50L if I need something bigger.

I like the size (25 Liters) seems perfect for a day hike. I've brought it with on backpacking trips for side trips and summit attempts, multiple day hikes, snowshoeing etc. I even hauled my dog, although this was when he was only a few months old and couldn't finish our 5 mile hike.

I appreciate the daypack advice! I am looking at Osprey packs or anything with a suspended mesh panel. I'll check out what's available at REI soon, but I think I might get the Osprey Stratos because I really like the "anti-gravity" suspension on my large (65L) Osprey pack for keeping my back cool and weight distributed, even if adds some ounces over the Talon. I figure on an average hike I'm carrying two extra layers, 10 essentials including 3+ liters of water, lunch and snacks, plus whatever stuff I want for the day. And I've always got trekking poles hiking here, so I'm less concerned about extra pack weight.

edit Actually I can't even figure out the difference between the Stratos and the Talon, besides how you load them? Maybe I'm overthinking this

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 21, 2017

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I appreciate the daypack advice! I am looking at Osprey packs or anything with a suspended mesh panel. I'll check out what's available at REI soon, but I think I might get the Osprey Stratos because I really like the "anti-gravity" suspension on my large (65L) Osprey pack for keeping my back cool and weight distributed, even if adds some ounces over the Talon. I figure on an average hike I'm carrying two extra layers, 10 essentials including 3+ liters of water, lunch and snacks, plus whatever stuff I want for the day. And I've always got trekking poles hiking here, so I'm less concerned about extra pack weight.

Pack weight on a day pack? Crazy talk. Get the comfy one.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Has anyone got any suggestions for double sleeping bags and sleeping mats/pads? Preferably the more lightweight side since my girlfriend and I want to use them for more hiking camping rather than car camping purposes. I've had a quick look around some sites but there aren't a lot of reviews or info about double ones really.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

pointsofdata posted:

This was one of the larger of these tree things(not sure what they are) that I've seen.

Also I went on a walking holiday to Ireland recently and it's got some amazing countryside.

That's called a burl. They're usually formed as result of some type of trauma (fungus, insect, etc) some can be quite expensive (depending on the whorl) but most sell for $2-3/lb.

:science:

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

Aphex- posted:

Has anyone got any suggestions for double sleeping bags and sleeping mats/pads? Preferably the more lightweight side since my girlfriend and I want to use them for more hiking camping rather than car camping purposes. I've had a quick look around some sites but there aren't a lot of reviews or info about double ones really.

Buy regular sleeping bags. For many models, the men's and women's versions have zippers on opposite sides so you can zip them together to make one big bag.

That way, you can join your bags on a trip, find out how terrible that idea is, and you aren't stuck with a heavy bulky useless piece of gear.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Aphex- posted:

Try checking over in in the backpacking and camping gear thread!

Although some manufacturers do make sleeping bags that can be zipped together, I think the last thing you'd want to be doing with your smelly partner is spooning after a long day or two, which is why you don't see this a lot. Big afnes makes a big creek double bag, but if you wanted to go alone you'd have to buy a whole new bag so it doesn't make sense to buy a double bag thinking you'll always be backpacking together, at least in my world

Thermarest does make a neoair dream mattress that's big enough for two people, but also crazy heavy and like five hundred bucks. You'd probably be best served seeing some velcro straps to two foam pads to hold them together or something like that.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Electoral Surgery posted:

Buy regular sleeping bags. For many models, the men's and women's versions have zippers on opposite sides so you can zip them together to make one big bag.
I live to regret the day I made this observation. Never have I felt so hot and cold at the same time while sleeping. Whenever you or partner moves cold air gets sucked into the bag.

Luckily she hasn't bugged me about putting the bags together since we got silk liners.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
There is no one on earth I have ever loved enough to share a sleeping bag with.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Haha good points on the sleeping bag sharing thing. Before I bite the bullet on a possible wasted bit of kit I will try out zipping two up together and then see how she likes spending a night hot and cold and very smelly. That's probably the best idea. We both love hiking and camping already so it's not a matter of persuading one of us to try it out but yeah, neither of us have shared a bag before.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Try checking over in in the backpacking and camping gear thread!

Although some manufacturers do make sleeping bags that can be zipped together, I think the last thing you'd want to be doing with your smelly partner is spooning after a long day or two, which is why you don't see this a lot. Big afnes makes a big creek double bag, but if you wanted to go alone you'd have to buy a whole new bag so it doesn't make sense to buy a double bag thinking you'll always be backpacking together, at least in my world

Thermarest does make a neoair dream mattress that's big enough for two people, but also crazy heavy and like five hundred bucks. You'd probably be best served seeing some velcro straps to two foam pads to hold them together or something like that.

Good shout with the backpacking gear thread, I totally forgot that was a thing now. I might have to go with velcroing two pads pads together because while I have just found a pretty good double mattress option, it's crazy expensive which I suppose is standard for something both good and light.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Alan_Shore posted:

I'm sorry.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

SeaborneClink posted:

That's called a burl. They're usually formed as result of some type of trauma (fungus, insect, etc) some can be quite expensive (depending on the whorl) but most sell for $2-3/lb.

:science:

That's cool. at first I thought they were squishy, then i touched one.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

bongwizzard posted:

Like even in an emergency situation, I think I would insist on sleeping in shifts. I can only just barely accept sleeping in one by myself.

I had to post again, I am so upset about the idea.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

bongwizzard posted:

Nobody is ever getting into my fart palace :colbert:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

If you saw a guy in an alley puking and convulsing during Trail Days that was me. So dehydrated I couldn't keep water down and had to go to the ER to get an IV drip. Next day was food poisoning and making GBS threads my brains out. Damascus tried its best to kill me.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop

What do you have against car shows and putt putt golf?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

George H.W. oval office posted:

If you saw a guy in an alley puking and convulsing during Trail Days that was me. So dehydrated I couldn't keep water down and had to go to the ER to get an IV drip. Next day was food poisoning and making GBS threads my brains out. Damascus tried its best to kill me.

drat.... that sucks :(

Was it the food poisoning that dehydrated you? Did you ever figure out where you picked it up from?

This certainly makes me feel vindicated for bringing immodium in my first aid kit...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Went hiking yesterday to Melakwa lake near Snoqualmie pass in Washington.

The trail and surrounding area was entirely snow covered, the temps peaked in the mid 70's and guess who forgot to bring sunscreen ... this guy. My face is tanned, my neck and ears are burned a bit and I've got some raccoon eyes from my sunglasses. We had to cross a river which was flowing pretty quickly due to the high temps causing the area to melt. Luckily it wasn't more than ankle to calf deep and my gaiters kept most of the water out. A quick change to dry socks and we were on our way.

We hiked through completely exposed slushy snow fields which were melting in the sun, snowshoes weren't of much use. It was crazy how much heat the snow was reflecting up. We kept getting cool breezes followed by really warm breezes. Overall it was a beautiful day. Luckily we brought ice axes because they proved to be the most used piece of gear the entire hike. Lots of steep snow and even some areas to safely glissade.

We got to the lake and hung out for an hour or so just listening to absolute silence. We only saw 2 people the entire day.

On our way back, we somehow got off trail and got cliffed out on several attempts to come down. We backtracked quite a bit and eventually picked up the trail again. We had missed it by 20 feet.

When we got back to the river, it was apparent the 70+ degrees pounding the snow fields all day had made a difference. It was now moving much quicker at the place we crossed earlier in the morning. The water was nearly 6-12" higher, when stepped in, the water was above my knee. It was really difficult to cross. I shuffled my feet across the bottom, leaning into the current and at one point I fell forward and hyperextended my thumb when I went to brace against a rock. I didn't even notice how cold the water was.

Fun stuff.