Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Is there anything that's particularly good snack/treat that would be good to bring to work and share? I've already done cosmos popcorn, those chocolate caramel pretzel things, and the deli cookies...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

FCKGW posted:

I never get gas at Costco because the lines are ridiculously long and I'm only saving like 8 cents over my local arco

I save nearly thirty cents on average and usually don't have to wait more than two minutes depending on the day.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

FCKGW posted:

I never get gas at Costco because the lines are ridiculously long and I'm only saving like 8 cents over my local arco

Well, look at it this way. Let's say you're paying on average $2.29 (price around here atm) per week for gas with a 15 gallon tank. Yes gas prices change but if you're saving $0.08 on average then it doesn't matter. Obviously this isn't a scientific study so we're just making this simple.

So, $2.29 for 15 gallons every week. For one year, 52 weeks, you're paying about $1786.20. if you go to Costco you're paying $2.21 per gallon. After a year you would have paid $1723.80.

That's a savings of $63.12. That's about the same cost as a Costco membership. And that doesn't include using the credit card.

Again, Costco pays for itself. :grin:

edit: this is in ideal conditions so the line thing would be a problem. I've only had to wait once before and that was about a minute. But all locations are different of course.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 22, 2017

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Are all costco gas stations on the opposite end of the parking lot?

Keeps you safe from having to deal with that mess and the mess that is driving around near the entrance simultaneously, so I'm going to assume they planned it that way.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Do you guys like artichoke hearts? You can get 64oz of them for $6.95.

Costco is cool and good.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Anyone else's Costco carry game hens? Mine doesn't anymore, and that was the main reason we signed up.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Is there anything that's particularly good snack/treat that would be good to bring to work and share? I've already done cosmos popcorn, those chocolate caramel pretzel things, and the deli cookies...

Get one of those things of massive greek olives stuffed with jalapeno and garlic, delicious but everyone will have awful breath.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

VideoTapir posted:

Anyone else's Costco carry game hens? Mine doesn't anymore, and that was the main reason we signed up.

the rotisserie chickens are down for pretty much anything

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Croatoan posted:

Do you guys like artichoke hearts? You can get 64oz of them for $6.95.

Costco is cool and good.

I just bought two ridiculously huge glass jars of marinated artichoke hearts for something like $10, when a tiny jar at Publix is closer to $3.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I just bought two ridiculously huge glass jars of marinated artichoke hearts for something like $10, when a tiny jar at Publix is closer to $3.

That's the one. they switched it from 1 64oz jar to 2 32oz jars wrapped together. Might have gone up to $10 but still god drat thats a good deal. I eat them on salads or chicken over the course of like 3 -4 months.

I also buy their roaster chicken two packs for like $7-8 depending on the weight.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Coming here after a blood test fast so... ordered too much. Help.

Edit: I am a monster who ate it.

Dely Apple fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 22, 2017

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

FCKGW posted:

I'd save 8 cents filling up at Costco if I only bought 3/4 of a gallon of gas.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dely Apple posted:

Coming here after a blood test fast so... ordered too much. Help.

Edit: I am a monster who ate it.

Sup blood test Costco visit buddy.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

I think I'm going to die. Can they compost me here?

H5 buddy :toot:

Dely Apple fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 22, 2017

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
I've been in Costco for like an hour and a half just chillin waiting for my 4 new tires ($70 off the set till the end of the month)

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Stopping by Costco in a couple of hours for a cheap optometrist appointment and a polish dog. And some drat allergy pills.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

My Costco doesn't have the new burgers or brats, but they did have the $1.50 1/4 lb all beef dog. Which I am eating right now.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Peachfart posted:

My Costco doesn't have the new burgers or brats, but they did have the $1.50 1/4 lb all beef dog. Which I am eating right now.

Did it have a soda +refillls?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I'd save 8 cents filling up at Costco if I only bought 3/4 of a gallon of gas.

i mean 8 cents per gallon, so around $1.50 for a tank.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Well, look at it this way. Let's say you're paying on average $2.29 (price around here atm) per week for gas with a 15 gallon tank. Yes gas prices change but if you're saving $0.08 on average then it doesn't matter. Obviously this isn't a scientific study so we're just making this simple.

So, $2.29 for 15 gallons every week. For one year, 52 weeks, you're paying about $1786.20. if you go to Costco you're paying $2.21 per gallon. After a year you would have paid $1723.80.

That's a savings of $63.12. That's about the same cost as a Costco membership. And that doesn't include using the credit card.

Again, Costco pays for itself. :grin:

edit: this is in ideal conditions so the line thing would be a problem. I've only had to wait once before and that was about a minute. But all locations are different of course.

Still not worth waiting in line for 10 minutes twice a week to fill up my tank.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

ok i see what looks like 2 apple, 2 cherry and 1 cheese leaving the one in the lower left a mystery. fig? chocolate?

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost
I went to Costco today, this is what I got:

Pineapple
Box of Condoms
Astral Glide

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Haverchuck posted:

ok i see what looks like 2 apple, 2 cherry and 1 cheese leaving the one in the lower left a mystery. fig? chocolate?

thats clearly raspberry, look at the little seeds

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd
I picked up some sweet men's colored jeans at the 'sco the other day. Decent brand (Buffalo), and fit very well. I got numerous compliments at work (from other men, but its still nice to be noticed) :)

PBUC

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug

Salty Josh posted:

Pineapple
Box of Condoms
Astral Glide

Nice celestial gently caress lube pickup. I assume you got the size that comes (lol) with a free hand pump?

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Two Costco stories today. Went there and got a dozen of those gigantic muffins (blueberry and apple crumb) which apparently was rung up as a watermelon and saved me almost $2 upon checking my receipt just now. Among other things I also got a loving 10 lb bag of Krusteaz buttermilk pancake mix (just add water!) for $5.99. That's enough to make 280 pancakes. Even if we only use a couple pounds, that's still cheaper than buying a couple tiny boxes at Meijer. Oh poo poo, that best by date (in 2019) is my wife's 40 birthday. I wonder if I should dare tell her that... signs point to no!

My other story is making some stir fry with the individually frozen chicken breasts and stir fry veggies. I actually gave in and ate a couple mushrooms (decided they were gross when I was little and have avoided eating one for almost 37 years) and they weren't gross! Praise be to Costco! Still not planning on eating raw ones though.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Do it seems that Costco will detain and call the cops on anyone who doesn't show receipt at the exit. Don't ask how I know.

maniacripper posted:

If a retail employee ever put their hands on me unprovoked I would.....

Seems like the much smarter (and less dangerous) thing to do would simply be to follow them out to their car, note the model of car and license plate, then call the cops. If the cops will give details on who the owner is, just revoke their membership. There may even be databases on the internet that let you look that stuff up. Problem solved.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Anton Chigurh posted:

Seems like the much smarter (and less dangerous) thing to do would simply be to follow them out to their car, note the model of car and license plate, then call the cops. If the cops will give details on who the owner is, just revoke their membership. There may even be databases on the internet that let you look that stuff up. Problem solved.

costco has no right to detain you or call the police if you walk out of their store, at best the can revoke your membership. if a retail employee puts their hands on you and physically attempts to stop you from leaving you have grounds to sue them for assault.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Rutibex posted:

costco has no right to detain you or call the police if you walk out of their store, at best the can revoke your membership. if a retail employee puts their hands on you and physically attempts to stop you from leaving you have grounds to sue them for assault.

Pretty sure they can call the police on you for whatever reason they want, but you may be right that they can't detain you. Does that include all shoplifting? I know most companies have polices about employees intervening in robbery attempts and such, some have even been fire after the fact for doing so, but seems like they would have some right about letting you just walk out with anything you choose.

This was many years ago, but when my sister was a teenager, she and a friend tried shoplifting from a department store and were caught and detained. Are you saying they couldn't do that now?

Sorry for the derail, praise be unto Costco!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Anton Chigurh posted:

Pretty sure they can call the police on you for whatever reason they want, but you may be right that they can't detain you. Does that include all shoplifting? I know most companies have polices about employees intervening in robbery attempts and such, some have even been fire after the fact for doing so, but seems like they would have some right about letting you just walk out with anything you choose.

This was many years ago, but when my sister was a teenager, she and a friend tried shoplifting from a department store and were caught and detained. Are you saying they couldn't do that now?

Sorry for the derail, praise be unto Costco!

true they can call the cops for whatever reason, but that doesnt mean they will come or do anything about it. store employees can stop you if you are seen shoplifting, but they can't detain you for not complying with a receipt check.

though this can get fun! if they attempt to detain you for shoplifting, and you have not in fact shoplifted anything than it is assault. this comes from the mouth of a law professor. he recommended not complying with security if you have not actually shoplifted anything and they attempt to stop you, because you will get a very nice monetary settlement out of anything they do to you.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I don't know why I just wasted so much time reading case law about this but with Membership stores you agree to their receipt checks so they can detain you with probable cause and since you are violating the agreement that's probable cause. Yay America

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

ate a polish dog :cool:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Salty Josh posted:

Pineapple
Box of Condoms
Astral Glide

This guy fucks.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I don't know why I just wasted so much time reading case law about this but with Membership stores you agree to their receipt checks so they can detain you with probable cause and since you are violating the agreement that's probable cause. Yay America

I mean I'd love to see the study and know this is true but something in my gut tells me that Costco clerks aren't allowed to detain people and that the only people who can detain anyone legally in these situations is the cops, but I don't really know poo poo about law

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Teikanmi posted:

I mean I'd love to see the study and know this is true but something in my gut tells me that Costco clerks aren't allowed to detain people and that the only people who can detain anyone legally in these situations is the cops, but I don't really know poo poo about law

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shopkeeper%27s_privilege

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014
my costco story: used to buy E off of one of the demo girls until she started ripping me off

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Out of Band II posted:

my costco story: used to buy E off of one of the demo girls until she started ripping me off

Ripping you off? She's NOT Costco material.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Teikanmi posted:

Although you have the right to detain someone (technically falls under citizen's arrest; anyone, including a shopper could do it), I can assure you that a place like Costco would not let its employees place themselves in danger over merchandise.

If someone wants to leave, you can ask that they remain there, but entering into any physical altercation is extremely dangerous, as you don't know the subject's motive/mental state/whether they're armed, etc.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Have you guys just never heard of loss prevention officers who job is to stop and detain people?

At my last retail job they had handcuffs and everything.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

The Internet loves to scream about how retail slaves can't even TOUCH you, yet that's not true at all and the 'stco manager I spoke to told me they've had to hold people for police to arrive a few times now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

The Internet loves to scream about how retail slaves can't even TOUCH you, yet that's not true at all and the 'stco manager I spoke to told me they've had to hold people for police to arrive a few times now.

Yeah whoever though that is crazy, in most places they can straight up kill you and it's your fault.