Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Also Dinesh is the Pakistani Denzel, so some handsome folks make it in CS!

Oh man he is gonna get destroyed for snitchin on Mia :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Few pages back, but this is clearly a dog in heat (aka a hot dog), which is technically correct (the best type of correct) :colbert:

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Pls don't assume my dogs gender

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
This show continues to be hilarious, but I would like the plot turns to settle down just a little bit. I really like the parts of the earlier seasons where they were actually working on building something. Season 3 and 4 so far it seems like every episode is just "everything is turned upside down!"

Richard leaves Pied Piper and Dinesh becomes CEO of the newly branded PiperChat
Dinesh tanks PiperChat and hands it off to Gavin Belson
Gavin *gets fired from Hooli*
Richard goes to Gavin and gets him to partner for the PiperNet or whatever
Gavin Leaves.

In as many episodes. At this rate I expect the next episode to start with Gavin walking into the house and directing a team of movers installing workinstations and Richard is like "What the gently caress Gavin, I thought you left to find yourself"
"I did. I mean I found myself. I was a garage all along. I bought this house."

Also I was hoping that Dinesh being CEO would give him a chance to stop being a huge piece of poo poo, but I guess that's never gonna happen.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Pharmaskittle posted:

Yeah that was the first time in the show where they went far enough to make me really think Richard is a piece of poo poo. Maybe they're assuming their audience is at least as intelligent as me (not a high bar) and figuring everyone will get that Richard's little nerd speech was deeply uncool even though it didn't bite him in the rear end five minutes later.

It DID bite him in the rear end five minutes later. Blood Boy told Gavin he was quitting to write a tell-all book because that was the only career move he had left, thanks to Richard, which led to Gavin's leaving.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Snak posted:

This show continues to be hilarious, but I would like the plot turns to settle down just a little bit. I really like the parts of the earlier seasons where they were actually working on building something. Season 3 and 4 so far it seems like every episode is just "everything is turned upside down!"

Richard leaves Pied Piper and Dinesh becomes CEO of the newly branded PiperChat
Dinesh tanks PiperChat and hands it off to Gavin Belson
Gavin *gets fired from Hooli*
Richard goes to Gavin and gets him to partner for the PiperNet or whatever
Gavin Leaves.

In as many episodes. At this rate I expect the next episode to start with Gavin walking into the house and directing a team of movers installing workinstations and Richard is like "What the gently caress Gavin, I thought you left to find yourself"
"I did. I mean I found myself. I was a garage all along. I bought this house."

Also I was hoping that Dinesh being CEO would give him a chance to stop being a huge piece of poo poo, but I guess that's never gonna happen.

Yeah, this is starting to drive me a little nuts too. I've said it before, but I really wish they'd just let them run a company for a season or two, there's plenty of material there without having everything collapse every other episode.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Richard has managed to act progressively more and more childish as the show has gone on. It would bother me, except that it's doing a good job of showing how someone like S1 Richard turns into Gavin Belson.

edit: ^ Yeah. Part of what sucked me in initially was that it was a good comedy and also a solid drama. The drama part is basically completely gone because every single thing is just reversed by completely random events. I'm not saying I want it to be a serious show, but it's not possible, as a viewer, to invest in the outcome of anything anymore. It use to be when they scraped by and secured funding I was like "phew, they did it!" and now it's like, "who cares? some random poo poo is gonna gently caress it up right away".

Snak fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 22, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

My favorite part of the episode was when I remembered that blood transfusions for theoretical youth is something that is actually real. loving Silicon Valley.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't think that a single thing in this show is made up.

Like, obviously the algorithm is, and the actual events aren't really realistic, but all the stuff they talk about is actually real poo poo.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

My favorite part of the episode was when I remembered that blood transfusions for theoretical youth is something that is actually real. loving Silicon Valley.

Haha, I knew Peter Thiel was doing it, but loving of course there's a startup for it.

I wonder how long until it's a "gig economy" app.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

VagueRant posted:

Thought Richard's little rant about CS being the exclusive domain of nerdy loner outcasts was a bit...miserable and nasty and Big Bang Theory-esque for this show. Just seemed more mean-spirited than I expected, rather than the show's typical cynicism.

A great way of putting it.

Even their original reaction to Bryce felt pretty out-of-place, since his point that they should at least look at the other option before dismissing it wasn't objectively bad at all. For Richard to triumphantly discover that he didn't have a CS degree and that Gavin shouldn't respect his ideas felt pretty tone deaf, even without the 'domain of the ugly nerds' speech.

I laughed out loud at the parabiosis reference though. For the record, Gavin is actually right about it having really promising (mouse) evidence, although human studies are just getting started.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

VagueRant posted:

Thought Richard's little rant about CS being the exclusive domain of nerdy loner outcasts was a bit...miserable and nasty and Big Bang Theory-esque for this show. Just seemed more mean-spirited than I expected, rather than the show's typical cynicism.
I don't give a poo poo if it's mean-spirited as long as it's funny, which that episode was.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, I don't think we're supposed to agree with what Richard says. I think it's been pretty deliberate that we're seeing Richard learn the wrong lessons from his limited success. And we know for a fact from his Tabs/Spaces fanaticism that he's a really snobbish dick about some things for no other reason than personal bias.

And even Richard's immediate "of course you can come work for me, Dinesh" feels odd. LIke, yeah, it makes sense, but Dinesh was a huge dick to him after he recommended Dinesh be CEO. Then literally 10 seconds after finding out that Dinesh ratted out his girfriend to the FBI just to get out of a relationship with her, he hires him. Like, I find all the characters of this show wildly entertaining, but if one character has proven time and time again that they are incompetant and you shouldn't trust or work with them, it's Dinesh.

He hosed up the DBAN that was supposed to nuke Pied Piper, he's a serial liar to try to sleep with women, he both publically admitted to "stealing" HooliChat and failed to protect his own product with due diligence. And he bailed on SeeFood as soon as he didn't like it. He's not a person than can plan ahead or own up to his mistakes, and his capabilities are questionable at best. But sure, of course he is hired.

Like, I'm not saying that Richard shouldn't hire him, I'm just saying that Richard is obviously not being objective in most of his decisions.

Richard really needs to take better advantage of his most useful and powerful asset: Jared.Jared is hopelessly devoted to Richard, loyal to a fault, and has more business knowledge than everyone else in the show put together. Richard is dismissive of him for the same reason he's dismissive of Blood Boy: He sees him an outsider. When Richard left PiperChat, the fact that he didn't beg Jared to come with him showed how clueless he is about the whole situation. Jared would have come with him in an instant and helped him navigate the whole situation.

Also the funniest part of last episode was when, after getting the transfusion, Gavin called Jared by his real name, Donald.

Also,

What the gently caress are they doing with Monica? Awhile back, there was a really solid hook for her to be fired by Laurie and then be hired by PiperChat, which would be the perfect reason for her to be more involved in the story. But instead she's just been kind of putsing around these deadend side plots that don't go anywhere. In the first season, they did a good job of showing her as a struggling professional, and giving her agency in the story. Now she doesn't do anything and she's just including in a plot that happens around her. Hopefully the new developement that happened this episode gives her something to do.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Richard, like every tech entrepreneur before him, is a person with extreme self-entitlement issues and has pretty much been so since S1.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Snak posted:

What the gently caress are they doing with Monica? Awhile back, there was a really solid hook for her to be fired by Laurie and then be hired by PiperChat, which would be the perfect reason for her to be more involved in the story. But instead she's just been kind of putsing around these deadend side plots that don't go anywhere. In the first season, they did a good job of showing her as a struggling professional, and giving her agency in the story. Now she doesn't do anything and she's just including in a plot that happens around her. Hopefully the new developement that happened this episode gives her something to do.

Yeah, I think that is the direction they are going with getting her out of the dog house with Laurie. She will have more independence and trust from Laurie now so she is going to decide to make up for the funding Gavin would have provided to Pied Piper. She sinks or swims with that decision (Laurie won't let even her best friend get away with too much) so she will be more involved with the main plot.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I just think it's dumb that they set up her coming to work for Pied Piper and then ditched it to do nothing with her instead.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Laurie expressing emotion is scary.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Loved how the only problem with the blood boy's pot habit was the high cholesterol from all the munchies food, not the pot itself. :allears:

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Phenotype posted:

It DID bite him in the rear end five minutes later. Blood Boy told Gavin he was quitting to write a tell-all book because that was the only career move he had left, thanks to Richard, which led to Gavin's leaving.

I guess, but I took Gavin being out of the picture and giving up the patent, even if he took his money with him, as a net positive.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Jian Yang posts here apparently

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'm literally drinking milk right now whilst day crew posting because I needed something to drink with a burrito and the pop machine here is broken. I just watered down some of the companies free half n half lol.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
The old-style KOME patch/sticker in the background of the garage scene was a nice touch. Always great to see them reference something in the Bay Area that isn't tech-related.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KOME?wprov=sfla1

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Echo Chamber posted:

"Monica, I am a human being. Like you. Like... this."

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
Gavin berating Richard for being mean to "the little people" was fantastic, since it shows not only now lacking of self-awareness he is, but how similar he and Richard really are.

Was I the only one who thought Gavin blew his brains out after he yelled "gently caress you God!" followed by something smashing into the window?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I'm about 95% positive Jian Yang called it "a half half" implying he thinks it's a cocktail and now that's part of my headcanon.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Echo Chamber posted:

Don't you get emotional around your best friend?

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Nas must have a really good blood boy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wArxEk0Rxhc

The new version that was at the end credits
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3neinqcjNEA

gohmak fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 23, 2017

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Jin Yiang is probably the father of both Laurie's and Monica's babies

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

What was the deal with the final scene? They looked dismayed when they got Gavin's picture. What was on it?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Some of Richard's scribblings about his new internet, they were dismayed because it's a weird, dumb parting gift

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

TheAngryDrunk posted:

What was the deal with the final scene? They looked dismayed when they got Gavin's picture. What was on it?

That is what Richard used as a whiteboard when explaining the idea to Gavin.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
What was Erlich's earthquake weed?

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Loved how the only problem with the blood boy's pot habit was the high cholesterol from all the munchies food, not the pot itself. :allears:

Pot might effect your lungs, but doesn't really effect your blood.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
I really loved the brief glimpses we got of the dynamic between Gavin and Gilfoyle, wish we could've got more before Gavin gets sidelined

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna miss Gavin, he's been a really entertaining part of the show since the beginning.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Is Gavin really gone? He was one of my favorite characters. I was actually kinda looking forward to his face turn.

bvlah
Aug 21, 2003
A stupid typo
Goldfoyle and Jared's outburst toward the blood Boy were my favorite parts

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

drainpipe posted:

Is Gavin really gone? He was one of my favorite characters. I was actually kinda looking forward to his face turn.

I'm guessing they wanted to give him a send off in case they never use his character again, but it sure looks like he's out of the picture for now.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Snak posted:

I'm gonna miss Gavin, he's been a really entertaining part of the show since the beginning.

This. His exit was funny, but I really hope we see him again, him and Richard are amazing together.

Went trawling the IMDB credits for the rest of the season, looks like we'll at least see the Hooli board again, they're pretty good too.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 23, 2017

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I imagine he'll come back at a time/in a way that fucks Richard somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

drainpipe posted:

He's going to spend an entire year flying back and forth between China, J-Hole, and Palo Alto. HE HAS TO BE SURE!

• Locked thread