Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Scorpion 3-2 posted:

I haven't played Minecraft in over 5 years.
What are the currently popular mod packs? Back then I always enjoyed the packs that had pretty much every mod possible like Never stop toasting but I'd also be up for a more focused experience as long as I can gently caress up the landscape with giant machines and gather countless resources that I'm never going to need.

Lots of servers are still running the old mod packs, http://www.apocgaming.org are running Tekkit Classic up to 1.11 Vanilla including stuff like Agrarian skies, Voltz, Tekkit Main, Attack of the B-Team, Hexxit and AG2.

jac gaming has galacticraft, voltz and their own version of pixelmon, and fossiltech.

so search around and see what takes your fancy, Most server are using packs from Technic launcher or FTB / Twitch client

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Random Encounter posted:

I'm running a locally hosted server for myself and a few friends. Mobs move in discreet bursts instead of smoothly moving from block to block. Players both local and remote lag behind on their location inputs by a fraction of a second, an example is trying to enter a pressure plated activated door, showing they pass through it, only to have them standing back in the door square with the door closed in their face. TPS is 20, avg tick rate never gets above 10 unless someone does something extreme.

I've tried hosting the server on a different computer on my home network, but it has the same behavior for myself, as I was hoping it might have been due to resource issues.

This is for 1.7.10, not listed are Baubles-1.7.10-1.0.1.10.jar and CodeChickenLib-1.7.10-1.1.3.138-universal.jar on a machine with 8 gb of memory, 2.6 gb taken up by the client and so far no more then 1 gb by the server. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Type "/forge tps". If overworld tps is listed to be less than 20, you have a lag problem.

Then install Opis and run it, it will help you track down the source of the lag.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Random Encounter posted:

I'm running a locally hosted server for myself and a few friends. Mobs move in discreet bursts instead of smoothly moving from block to block. Players both local and remote lag behind on their location inputs by a fraction of a second, an example is trying to enter a pressure plated activated door, showing they pass through it, only to have them standing back in the door square with the door closed in their face. TPS is 20, avg tick rate never gets above 10 unless someone does something extreme.

I've tried hosting the server on a different computer on my home network, but it has the same behavior for myself, as I was hoping it might have been due to resource issues.

This is for 1.7.10, not listed are Baubles-1.7.10-1.0.1.10.jar and CodeChickenLib-1.7.10-1.1.3.138-universal.jar on a machine with 8 gb of memory, 2.6 gb taken up by the client and so far no more then 1 gb by the server. Does anyone have any suggestions?

How much memory did you assign to the Minecraft server instance? I usually give 3-4G for a modded server. It may be garbage collection (GC) sweeps causing those pauses, which happens too often if you have too little RAM, but also has a detrimental effect if you give too much RAM.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Scorpion 3-2 posted:

I haven't played Minecraft in over 5 years.
What are the currently popular mod packs? Back then I always enjoyed the packs that had pretty much every mod possible like Never stop toasting but I'd also be up for a more focused experience as long as I can gently caress up the landscape with giant machines and gather countless resources that I'm never going to need.

For Goon popular ones, there's Grimdark and Disaster Piece Theatre: Act 3, both running Minecraft 1.10.2 and both providing a server. Less popular and with no public server provided are NST Frostburn for Minecraft 1.10.2 and NST Exploration for Minecraft 1.11.2.

There are some non-goon ones also posted in this thread and talked about extensively the last week (Curse of the Titans, Project Ozone 2, and a few others I'm forgetting).

The arguably _easiest_ way to get modded Minecraft is to use the Curse (merged with Twitch) application and browse Minecraft modpacks by popularity or genre (e.g. sci-fi), or easily create your own.

Scorpion 3-2
Apr 2, 2011
Thanks for the suggestions I think I'll give NST Frostburn a go the others sound a bit too hardcore and I don't play online.

Maybe I should play vanilla Minecraft first there's bound to be a million changes that I missed but playing moded Minecraft is 50% play 50% reading Wikis and watching tutorials anyways.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Something like agrarian skies 2 or project ozone 2 might be good to learn since they have massive quest books. It's helped me get started with modded Minecraft. Also grimdark on the goon server is great and everyone on there is helpful. And it's not a balls hard mod pack at all which is nice.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

CrazyTolradi posted:

There's a version called HWYLA that's been forked from WAILA and being developed actively still. Latest update was in April this year.

I'll give this a try since it works with all WAIlA addons. Thanks.
I also noticed that the bottom part of a rose bush is labeled rose bush while the top is labeled sunflower. :D

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Scorpion 3-2 posted:

Thanks for the suggestions I think I'll give NST Frostburn a go the others sound a bit too hardcore and I don't play online.

Maybe I should play vanilla Minecraft first there's bound to be a million changes that I missed but playing moded Minecraft is 50% play 50% reading Wikis and watching tutorials anyways.

Well you can still try my old precious Baby's First Space Race if you just want to skim through what's new and what work as of 1.7.10. The oregen and quest rewards are very generous so you can focus on the mods.

It looks like 1.10.2 has reached a point where I could try to move the pack forward, but I'm having a hard time ingesting those changes myself. It seems like right at the time that Vanilla added recharge times to strikes that everybody decided we needed monsters with tons of hitpoints and no knockback. I'm assuming there are some hidden gems for combat in the early game to help with this but I'm just not finding them. I guess they just want people to run away a lot.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Mage combat > Ranged combat > melee combat is the unfortunate way that Minecraft is.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Sage Grimm posted:

Mage combat > Ranged combat > melee combat is the unfortunate way that Minecraft is.
If we're talking about mage combat, then is there a decent 4-slot spell in AM2 for ranged combat? I cheated in a lightning spell that was basically projectile + 5 lightnings and I couldn't even cast it. I cheated up to level 20 and found I still couldn't knock out an 80 HP GoG mob before I ran out of mana. So I was hoping to find something simpler that could still dish it out.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

If we're talking about mage combat, then is there a decent 4-slot spell in AM2 for ranged combat? I cheated in a lightning spell that was basically projectile + 5 lightnings and I couldn't even cast it. I cheated up to level 20 and found I still couldn't knock out an 80 HP GoG mob before I ran out of mana. So I was hoping to find something simpler that could still dish it out.

Adding more "lightning" does not add more damage. The things that affect spell damage is damage type, your magic level, the +damage modifer (up to 3), if you have an arcane book or not (arcane guardian), what the enemy is weak against (only applies to some mobs), and things that straight up add damage to your attack (potions of strength, wolfpelt bracers from some thaumcraft addon, etc)

If you want simple, the best way is projectile -> AoE or Zone -> damage -> tangle.

Zone will apply spells to a 3x3 area inside of it once a second for 3 seconds (so 3 applications), and tangle applies a powerful slow for a few seconds.

Also don't forget to have armor (doesn't have to be ars magica armor) with imbuned effects from the inbunement enchanter (burn-out reduction, mana regeneration) for easier time casting spells.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Be careful with AOE tangles, it's real easy to murder yourself with them. In Banished you get one as a quest reward and, I swear, more of my deaths were self-kill by tangle than anything else.

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
If your Minecraft server is lagging it's probably not a RAM issue. I think one thing a lot of people do not know is just how bad Minecraft is coded, it does not utilize multiple cores (every modern CPU) so soon as the game has to keep track of more than a few entities or god forbid has to generate the world, you're going to experience slowdowns, and usually this has nothing to do with how much RAM you have. 4gb is about enough for ANY modpack up to about ~200 mods especially if you're connecting to a server. Singleplayer might need a little more past the 200 mod point, but even then 6gb is the most you should have to allocate. It occurred to me the other day when I was reading notch tweet about livestreaming Factorio, a game arguably inspired by modded Minecraft, that not only does notch not play modded Minecraft he'd rather play a 2d top down version of modded Minecraft. in all these years, no one got around to adding multi-thread support to really open up the possibilities of what you can do with mods.

On the topic of modpacks, there isn't a more complete collection of everything good available on 1.10.2 than grimdark, period, full stop. so unless you're into quests, are running a five year old laptop, are the type that likes creative mode, or you like missing out on content there's literally no reason to be playing anything else right now, especially since there's a high powered dedicated server available for it that will even help your five year old laptop run it.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I like to tell myself my 5Ghz 2500k is much better for these older games than a 2017 2.3 ghz 10 core cpu.

Sometimes I even believe it. :shobon:

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
I'm p sure an overclocked i7 5ghz is like the best you're gonna get for processing java cubes

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I've found serious lag improvement in single player with some of the java 8 runtime options for garbage collection. I'm at work and on mobile right now, but I'll post them when I get home.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Ak Gara posted:

I like to tell myself my 5Ghz 2500k is much better for these older games than a 2017 2.3 ghz 10 core cpu.

Sometimes I even believe it. :shobon:

That is extremely correct, the former will be better for the majority of normal computing tasks. Super parallelism is only utilized properly in serious number crunching tasks like rendering or CFD etc.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Black Pants posted:

They haven't been made yet.

Ah thanks. I lost about a hour to trouble shooting the "missing" quests". :saddowns:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

SugarAddict posted:

Adding more "lightning" does not add more damage. The things that affect spell damage is damage type, your magic level, the +damage modifer (up to 3), if you have an arcane book or not (arcane guardian), what the enemy is weak against (only applies to some mobs), and things that straight up add damage to your attack (potions of strength, wolfpelt bracers from some thaumcraft addon, etc)

If you want simple, the best way is projectile -> AoE or Zone -> damage -> tangle.

Zone will apply spells to a 3x3 area inside of it once a second for 3 seconds (so 3 applications), and tangle applies a powerful slow for a few seconds.

Also don't forget to have armor (doesn't have to be ars magica armor) with imbuned effects from the inbunement enchanter (burn-out reduction, mana regeneration) for easier time casting spells.

Well I haven't gotten to radius, entangle, damage, or zone. It's nice to at least know tossing a ton more lightnings on it won't do any good. It looks like it only knocks off 10HP or so on stuff that has 80HP, which is honestly better than most weapons in the early game, but I only get about three shots before I have a long recharge. So rewinding even further--is there anything I can do to boost up before I've, say, gotten up a really good mining operation?

Back in my Hexxit days, my favorite thing to do was make a legia bow, take it over to the special enchantment table, and put flame on it. Then I had a big flaming shotgun. TBH that might have been a little OP because I didn't really bother with anything else after that, but it was the kind of thing I needed for soloing.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Well I haven't gotten to radius, entangle, damage, or zone. It's nice to at least know tossing a ton more lightnings on it won't do any good. It looks like it only knocks off 10HP or so on stuff that has 80HP, which is honestly better than most weapons in the early game, but I only get about three shots before I have a long recharge. So rewinding even further--is there anything I can do to boost up before I've, say, gotten up a really good mining operation?

If you want absolute easiest way to murder everything, you want a projectile "mark" spell and a projectile "recall" spell. Create a deathpit with spikes or whatever, shoot the "mark" location into the place you want mobs to be teleported to, then whenever you see a mob, shoot it with the projectile "recall" spell, this will teleport the mob to where you marked. And since it is an unescapable deathpit, you really don't need to worry too much about the mob's hp, only if it can escape or not.

I don't remember how this would work if the chunk the marked area is in is unloaded.

If you are running out of mana after 3 shots, I would just suggest you space out your shots more and/or imbuning your armor with 2 burnout reduction and 2 mana regeneration. The more you cast spells the higher your burnout is, which increases the mana cost of your spells, or use a cheaper damage type. Lighting does the most damage, but is also the most expensive, magic does the least damage, but is the least expensive.

But if you have the magic levels and the materials you could go for the silver skills and just turbomurder your way.

Firestorm, blizzard, and starstrike are the 3 silver skill damage ones, the best one is firestorm, the cheapest is starstrike.

Starstrike does 10-20 damage in an AoE but it takes a few seconds for it to land from space.
Firestorm does fire damage that ignores damage frame invulnerability and doesn't destroy items (I think).

I haven't played minecraft for 6 months so I'm a bit out of date with my knowledge.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Thinking of hopping onto the Grimdark server but what's the quickest way to sort out keybinds for all these modpacks?
I like to play with a typical FPS control scheme with C as sneak, shift for sprint, B for bags is a bit more unique but there's like 7 different mods that want to use those keys and most of the others are already in use. How do you know what it's safe to rebind without having to rebind 20 other things?

The addon Controlling is a great start as it shows you which keys are unbound but I've still just taken 20 minutes to go over everything and I'm certain something useful is going to be bound wrong. I mean why does Dark Steel Armour have it's own jump key that's unbound by default? I've left it that way but it's still confusing when looking to try out a new pack.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
CoTT keeps coming up with bullshit that makes me want to stop playing it. Monsters tunneled through 20 blocks of mountain to get into my base and to secure it I'd now have to essentially strip mine the mountain and replace it with reinforced stone or coat the mountain with reinforced stone. Neither are practical before the next night fall.

e: I need to play something else to learn how to use the machines from the various mods, the CoTT quests give 0 guidance further than "build thing". I tried to power a pressing/rolling machine from IC2 and it exploded, destroying the machine.

Carcer fucked around with this message at 10:58 on May 23, 2017

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Carcer posted:

CoTT keeps coming up with bullshit that makes me want to stop playing it. Monsters tunneled through 20 blocks of mountain to get into my base and to secure it I'd now have to essentially strip mine the mountain and replace it with reinforced stone or coat the mountain with reinforced stone. Neither are practical before the next night fall.

e: I need to play something else to learn how to use the machines from the various mods, the CoTT quests give 0 guidance further than "build thing". I tried to power a pressing/rolling machine from IC2 and it exploded, destroying the machine.

Only zombies can tunnel?

wrap a zombie flesh with 8 ingots of iron. Do that 6 times, then do the 6 of them 5? more times, Youll need a few bones and something else that is easy to get, and make the zombie charm.

Zombies will no longer acknowledge your existence, even if you're whaling on them with your fists. So no more tunneling.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Verizian posted:

Thinking of hopping onto the Grimdark server but what's the quickest way to sort out keybinds for all these modpacks?
I like to play with a typical FPS control scheme with C as sneak, shift for sprint, B for bags is a bit more unique but there's like 7 different mods that want to use those keys and most of the others are already in use. How do you know what it's safe to rebind without having to rebind 20 other things?

The addon Controlling is a great start as it shows you which keys are unbound but I've still just taken 20 minutes to go over everything and I'm certain something useful is going to be bound wrong. I mean why does Dark Steel Armour have it's own jump key that's unbound by default? I've left it that way but it's still confusing when looking to try out a new pack.

Unbind everything except for the movement keys and stuff that uses the F# keys, bind keys as you need them.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Is project ozone 2 a good modpack to learn the tech mods?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Carcer posted:

lol

Baby's First Space Race is the only pack I'd ever recommend for learning how to play tech mods for someone who doesn't know anything about them and needs to be told both what to make and how to use them. Project Ozone 2 is a 'skyblock' pack and as such is meant to challenge people who already should know the basics of what they're doing. Also the recipes tend to be changed up a lot and the mechanics of things rebalanced.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
I'm trying to set up OpenComputers to control an active extreme reactor in FTB Beyond, using the brgc program. I've managed to get the computer to interface with the reactor and turbine without issue, but the program documentation says that it can also connect to my draconic energy storage. Problem is, I don't know how to connect the computer system to the orb. I've tried connecting to the pylon but the program doesn't recognise it.

edit: I'm using the adapter.

MaliciousOnion fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 23, 2017

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Carcer posted:

Yes, in so much as it forces you to use every tech mod. You are going to learn from Wikis and online videos either way.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It really doesn't though in many cases. The quest book wants to you to touch on the various mods but it isn't going out of its way to tell you why you're building this or how useful it will be. And it gates questlines fairly arbitrarily so you sometimes end up using something you're familiar with well before you have any quests surrounding it; probably the biggest being Applied Energistics as that's my centralized crafting/storage for weeks now and no quest has been unlocked for it.

Still would recommend Rocko's Baby's First Space Race.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

craft of the titans has gotten a bit better now that I got a surface base started and surrounded by reinforced stone. also having xray turned off is good too, i still get surrounded by monsters and poo poo but its not as ridiculous. playing on the grimdark cott server as well.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
RIP Thaumcraft

Azanor posted:

It is with a heavy heart that I need to let you guys know that I will be shutting down this Patreon soon. I have already paused it so no one will be charged for the next billing cycle. I will be keeping the dropbox folder open so the Master tier patrons will retain their access.
Between work and family I have been unable to work on Thaumcraft even a fraction as much as I have been able to in the past. I have recently decided to continue my studies after-hours which means what little time I had left will disappear for the next couple of years. The studies will be mostly to further my career, but the good news is that I am going to sneak in some gaming related courses in there. I am hoping to return to modding eventually, or maybe even publish a game of my own.
I will continue to maintain Baubles – it is small enough that keeping it running doesn’t occupy much time. Thaumcraft is a different beast however. I will try and work on TC 6 whenever I get the chance, but I cannot promise when it will be done or even if it ever will be done.
Sorry guys

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Threep posted:

RIP Thaumcraft

Well, someone can just pick up work on it thanks to Open Sou..oh

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

gently caress. I was waiting for thaumcraft for 1.10 too. Too bad he won't release his code

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Sage Grimm posted:

It really doesn't though in many cases. The quest book wants to you to touch on the various mods but it isn't going out of its way to tell you why you're building this or how useful it will be. And it gates questlines fairly arbitrarily so you sometimes end up using something you're familiar with well before you have any quests surrounding it; probably the biggest being Applied Energistics as that's my centralized crafting/storage for weeks now and no quest has been unlocked for it.
It also bounces around way too much since it has so many mods you wind up with a lot of "before you can do this with mod X you have to do this with mod Y" situations.

PO2 was actually what got me started on my one-per-category modpack, because PO2 felt way to complicated with five mods all doing more or less the same thing.

Threep posted:

RIP Thaumcraft
Looks like McJty's interested in helping Azanor finish it up over on the FTB reddit, so hopefully that'll happen.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
McJty is a saint.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Toadsmash posted:

McJty is a saint.

He's started expanding RFTools Dimensions again

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Threep posted:

RIP Thaumcraft

What a fool. Why deactivate the free money faucet? Just stop working on Thaumcraft and let it die on its own naturally. To this day Eloraam is still getting $112 per month for "developing Red Power" :v:
https://www.patreon.com/Eloraam

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Rutibex posted:

What a fool. Why deactivate the free money faucet? Just stop working on Thaumcraft and let it die on its own naturally. To this day Eloraam is still getting $112 per month for "developing Red Power" :v:

Is he, though? If I remember correctly the way Patreon works is that you have to make a "content post" of some sort to actually collect for the month. It looks like his last post was back in October.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
That's a real shame, I always liked Thaumcraft. I really hope it ends up open source at some point, now that the patreon's not running anymore. No idea how realistic that hope is though, I don't follow Modding Drama so I don't really know what any of the personalities involved are like.

Rutibex posted:

Yes, well to his credit at least Azanor isn't doing THIS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Well, I suppose that partially solves the issue of doing magic tutorials in a future BFSR. I was terrified to touch Thaumcraft because it's complete different each release. As you all can see, I'm having enough struggles trying to get the groove of Ars Magica 2.