Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ok I'm on my first playthrough, I'm at the Snow Fortress with the butterflies and as my first PS4 experience I think this is one of the coolest games I've ever played.

All the bosses are cool, I like Kodama Hunting (to a point), and I'm really enjoying the very 3.5 D&D feeling of the Equipment. I'm a shinobi, wearing this awesome monkey mask that the Nue dropped, and I basically just use everything, even the Axe, although it's the hardest one to use. I like Guardian Spirits but I wish they happened more often.

How far am I into the game? Is there a big difficulty spike coming up? I'm a Platinum games vet and I've always stalled out on Dark Souls because I feel like combat was too samey for it being the entire game basically. Nioh has me all over the place and I'm already planning to swap over to full Omnyo mage for NG+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Bust Rodd posted:

Ok I'm on my first playthrough, I'm at the Snow Fortress with the butterflies and as my first PS4 experience I think this is one of the coolest games I've ever played.

All the bosses are cool, I like Kodama Hunting (to a point), and I'm really enjoying the very 3.5 D&D feeling of the Equipment. I'm a shinobi, wearing this awesome monkey mask that the Nue dropped, and I basically just use everything, even the Axe, although it's the hardest one to use. I like Guardian Spirits but I wish they happened more often.

How far am I into the game? Is there a big difficulty spike coming up? I'm a Platinum games vet and I've always stalled out on Dark Souls because I feel like combat was too samey for it being the entire game basically. Nioh has me all over the place and I'm already planning to swap over to full Omnyo mage for NG+.

You have a fair bit more to get through buddy (half the main game at least). I've gone back to Bloodborne and I think I am enjoying it more because of Nioh. I'm a hyper aggressive idiot thanks to Team Ninja reminding me that balls to the wall speed is a joy, while wrapping it in a package that roughly translates across to a From game.

There isn't a big difficulty spike in NG, in fact you are probably through the most difficult parts given you have some skills and levels now. The DLC along with Way of the Strong and Demon on the other hand will test you and your gear rating. There are also challenge missions once you beat the game (boss/samurai rushes essentially) that will make you tear your loving hair out, but also make you feel like an absolute beast when you get through them.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The snow mission boss is probably one of the hardest ones. I feel like the difficulty was downhill after that.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
OK dumb question. I have the Nioh Alpha saved in my library. Does it do anything without also having the Beta? or can I not access that DLC with having completed both?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
What are you talking about?

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
An Alpha save gives you the Gold Nioh Armor, Beta gives you Sanada set. They don't affect anything else

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Bust Rodd posted:

OK dumb question. I have the Nioh Alpha saved in my library. Does it do anything without also having the Beta? or can I not access that DLC with having completed both?

You are waaaaaaay past the time any sort of alpha or beta are relevant. You need to be playing the normal, purchased game now.

KingShiro posted:

An Alpha save gives you the Gold Nioh Armor

Everyone gets the gold nioh armor.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I just looked it up, it was a helmet that you can still get in the full game that they gave you if you had beaten the alpha/beta/final trial. nvm

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So there's a roughly translated interview with Nioh's director on Reddit. Fairly standard development stuff, but there's a few gems in there:

quote:

- At first they thought of a world with dark theme so female character was not needed but after consideration that 90% player of this game are male. Sexy Fuku was summoned.

quote:

- They worried about how much the people outside japan will perceive Youkai. There are something cute, something grotesque, horrifying. Director: "Is there anyone had a first look at Nurikabe and said, WTF is this" lol

:allears:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I was going through the enemy models in the memory viewer thing and only then noticed that the umbrella enemies are actually legs standing on giant wooden platform sandals. That was pretty WTF :) That and seeing that the summoning guitars are actually alive and just using a corpse to play themselves were really neat touches.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
So I'm still in my original game, no NG+ or anything, and I just joined a game in co-op where the host was one-shotting everything and had the Ginchiyo skin... was that just someone already to the end-game farming an old level for something?

Can you even get to the point where you're practically one-shotting everything in NG vs NG+/etc? (or does the NG+ stuff work differently in Nioh?)

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You can get to that point very easily. Way of the Demon equipment scales very quickly making the old content very redundant, and certain builds can even make WOTD content redundant (I can now complete Restless Spirits in less than thirty seconds...).

That player was probably just doing Random Encounters through the Torii gate. At the moment there's no difficulty filtering so they'll get plopped into any game where a cup's being offered.

Takes No Damage posted:

I was going through the enemy models in the memory viewer thing and only then noticed that the umbrella enemies are actually legs standing on giant wooden platform sandals. That was pretty WTF :) That and seeing that the summoning guitars are actually alive and just using a corpse to play themselves were really neat touches.

I've mentioned it before but the :saddowns: some Yokai pull when you smash their horns is hilarious. There's a ton of great little touches in the animations and monster design; as much as I hate loving WHEELMONKS, the way they bounce and struggle against their hair bindings is fantastically well done.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

poptart_fairy posted:

That player was probably just doing Random Encounters through the Torii gate. At the moment there's no difficulty filtering so they'll get plopped into any game where a cup's being offered.

I wasn't the one offering the cup, I was the one being a visitor.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh, hmm. Maybe they were just trying to farm certain monster items, or going for revenants, or something. Got me there. :v:

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

poptart_fairy posted:

Oh I meant to ask about this; does that work the other way as well? If I were to try that to find a co-op game, would it potentially drop me into a NG+ or higher game?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
At the rate my PvP matches are going, it would take me less time to wait for the clan fights to finish to get the skin I want then to actually keep playing PvP. :geno:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Magus42 posted:

Oh I meant to ask about this; does that work the other way as well? If I were to try that to find a co-op game, would it potentially drop me into a NG+ or higher game?

Only if you've completed the mission before on that difficulty.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Played coop with my friend last night and a Kappa dropped +11 Odachi with Enemy Attacking and Enemy Electrified dmg ups, Lightning element and innate Weaken Melee.

Put that thing to good use right away. Also found my first Yasakani Magatama.

A fine Nioh to you

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 23, 2017

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'm currently doing a lot of Gourd farming to grab another Amrita gain Yasakani. At level 360 though I suspect I'll hit level 400 before I earn that bonus experience. :v:

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

poptart_fairy posted:

Only if you've completed the mission before on that difficulty.

Ah, good. Thanks.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Purple number status effect is ki damage right?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

So it is the summer and I finally have some time. Is this a thing I should buy? I've played all of the souls games though a number of times, and have enjoyed them immensely. In general, I liked the giant weapons full of giantness, like the great club, pizza cutter, and ledo's. So a lot of two handing tree trunks, really. I can be flexible there though. Would this be a thing I would enjoy? My Bloodborne machine is pretty dusty, not having been turned on for ages.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 24, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Filthy Monkey posted:

So it is the summer and I finally have some time. Is this a thing I should buy? I've played all of the souls games though a number of times, and have enjoyed them immensely. In general, I liked the giant weapons full of giantness from souls games. Lots of two handing tree trunks. I can be flexible there though. Would this be a thing I would enjoy? My Bloodborne machine is pretty dusty, not having been turned on for ages.

If you do invest, get the expansion. It gives you the other gigantic doomweapon, the odachi, to go with the axe.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

poptart_fairy posted:

I'm currently doing a lot of Gourd farming to grab another Amrita gain Yasakani. At level 360 though I suspect I'll hit level 400 before I earn that bonus experience. :v:

How do you farm that poo poo? Do some way of the demon then go farm it, or do you have a build I don't use?

I haven't started Demon because I went back to Bloodborne, which is a loving easy game once you've spent a shitload of time on Nioh and have tuned up your reaction times to superhuman levels.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Alteisen posted:

Purple number status effect is ki damage right?

I'm pretty sure you are talking about Earth damage.

Ki damage is not presented by numbers.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

WaltherFeng posted:

I'm pretty sure you are talking about Earth damage.

Ki damage is not presented by numbers.

Right earth damage, it affects Ki?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Alteisen posted:

Right earth damage, it affects Ki?

If you stick earth they will burn double ki. Works nicely with the ki regen reducing talisman.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Finding about the Torii gate random encounter has been amazing.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Co-operative is fun, isn't it? :v:

JBP posted:

How do you farm that poo poo? Do some way of the demon then go farm it, or do you have a build I don't use?

Well, this this is my Marobashi farm and the Return of the Gourd goes similar - just instead of using amrita buffs I have Shadowround Talisman instead. :haw:

It's a shuriken/kunai build so it's quite cheesy really. I have 22% Thrown Damage x 2 on four bits of equipment, 22% Thrown Damage on an accessory and my fifth piece of armour, and another lump of 18% kunai/shuriken damage on the gloves. 25% Killing Strike bonus. Basically it's a case of twatting the basic skeletons with throwing weapons or my kusa/swords, and using groundfire trap to eliminate the revenants. When Oda springs in I hit him with weakness and burn him down, then kite the Obsidian Samurai around.

3x Kingo with the Atagi.
2x Master Swordsman, with the swords.

I'll chuck together proper details later.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Is there any info inside of the game about which elements interact with which?

I'm trying to not look up anything and only read from inside the game but I can't find anything about "wind is good vs fire but weak to earth" or anything like that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

I'm trying to not look up anything and only read from inside the game but I can't find anything about "wind is good vs fire but weak to earth" or anything like that.

The best way to check is to look at character and yokai profiles in the Amrita Memories. Those list elemental strengths and weaknesses for those enemies. I think you need to switch pages with R2 or something.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

I think

The only way to know for sure is to check Amrita memories > Yokai illustrations

There's no definitive elemental cycle. Just some repeating pattens but an enemy with obvious element might not be weak to anything at all (Or vice versa an enemy with no obvious element is weak to multiple)

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

poptart_fairy posted:

Co-operative is fun, isn't it? :v:

Very much so, but previously I had to go from mission to mission hitting square and hope I found someone, which meant a lot of downtime occasionally x.x

SMP
May 5, 2009

Stumbled into the Giant Centipede boss and beat him first try. I feel like a god.

I'm like 18 levels past the suggested level :ssh:

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

SMP posted:

Stumbled into the Giant Centipede boss and beat him first try. I feel like a god.

the centipede also wasn't all that difficult of a fight to be honest.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I had trouble with the Centipede until I figured out the trick and got the timing down (he has a little head-fake before he does his real crush attack, as I recall)

SMP
May 5, 2009

I kited him around one pillar over and over. Just block one attack then hide behind the pillar while he shoots something. He has a massive window where you can attack him afterwards.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

SMP posted:

It's an easy boss fight

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Magus42 posted:

Very much so, but previously I had to go from mission to mission hitting square and hope I found someone, which meant a lot of downtime occasionally x.x

Ahaha, oh man that sucks. I do like to act as a Visitor for the twilight missions (you can get about 6k glory for beating them) but otherwise yeah, Random is the way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:
I'l tell you what is pissing my off though, the bridge fight with the giant axe dude. gently caress him (i'm probably just really bad though)