Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/JoshHalliday/st...plosion-england

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

GaussianCopula posted:

Journalists doing journalist things and tracking down sources seems like nothing to complain about.

Ah yes that all too reliable source of facts, "a family member of a bombing victim who wasn't even there at the time"

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

ITV Granada are running a live feed on Facebook of the Arndale Centre, with a rolling comment feed of course.

Jesus loving Christ.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Oberleutnant posted:

The funniest thing I can tell you is that Rhodes spent most of the 2nd Boer War besieged in Kimberley, throwing a constant fit about it. There are a bunch of telegrams to the Brit government whining about how if they don't send an army to relieve him personally and immediately he and his company (ie de Beers) are going to unilaterally open negotiations with the Boers.

There's also an unpublished report by the government's official military historian of the time, who credits Rhodes with single-handedly almost losing that war, because the commander on the ground (Redvers Buller) was ordered to split his forces to rescue Rhodes, which resulted in some serious disasters and setbacks from engagements with the Boers. This resulted in a major panic, and the entirety of the British isles was emptied of troops as every available soldier was sent to South Africa, and there was some serious handwringing about the possibility of invasion by a continental power. For years afterwards there was a long-running debate inParliament, the press, and public, about the advisability of instituting mandatory universal conscription and military training for all school-children over the age of 10.

And all because Cecil Rhodes threw a paddy about being stuck in Kimberley.

Wonderful. What a cock.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

GaussianCopula posted:

Journalists doing journalist things and tracking down sources seems like nothing to complain about.

gently caress off Nazi, of course you can't understand basic human decency. Though we all knew that already after your response to the refugees dying in the Med.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Oberleutnant posted:

the entirety of the British isles was emptied of troops as every available soldier was sent to South Africa
Sending 350,000 troops to be pasted by a few thousand farmers seems to be one of the defining features of the late European empires.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

From the "Too Soon" department:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/866919401467125760

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

The second Boer war and the Jameson raid pretty much ruined Rhodes reputation in Britain, he wasn't best liked by the time of his death

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

"Your suffering is worth more than Stockholm but less than Paris"

Jesus loving christ what a bunch of assholes.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Oberleutnant posted:

And all because Cecil Rhodes threw a paddy about being stuck in Kimberley.

please, no.

Interesting as hell posting otherwise, though

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

josh04 posted:

The "brand" is different in that one "brand" now has elected MPs in parliament. The comparison only remotely holds because our press are willing to jeopardise peace in northern island by rewriting history to make Corbyn, who is a borderline pacifist, look worse.

Sinn Féin had MPs before the Good Friday agreement (though obviously they never take their seats) funny how those talking about rewriting of history have such a poor understanding of it. I'd have more respect for Corbyn if he was at least honest about his historic support for the IRA. Still he's done the same thing about EU membership since he became leader so at least he's consistent in telling people what he thinks they want to hear.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PezlFNTGWv4

I know we've all seen it before but it's no less relevant.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

AP posted:

Sinn Féin had MPs before the Good Friday agreement (though obviously they never take their seats) funny how those talking about rewriting of history have such a poor understanding of it. I'd have more respect for Corbyn if he was at least honest about his historic support for the IRA. Still he's done the same thing about EU membership since he became leader so at least he's consistent in telling people what he thinks they want to hear.

I mean, great? The point is that sympathy for republicanism is in no way even remotely similar to sympathy for ISIS as a position for a UK politician to take.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Miftan posted:

"Your suffering is worth more than Stockholm but less than Paris"

Jesus loving christ what a bunch of assholes.
I'm pretty sure it's saying "more people died in Manchester than in Stockholm, but fewer than in one of the Paris attacks"?

Context is a good thing, especially with the terrisms

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Eh? I was using it in the sense of tantrum, squinny, wobbly. I'm assuming that word is only incidentally or accidentally the same as the other use of that word.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

josh04 posted:

I mean, great? The point is that sympathy for republicanism is in no way even remotely similar to sympathy for ISIS as a position for a UK politician to take.

No the point was in the original post you quoted "It's a bit late to be complaining all that doesn't look that great to the electorate".

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Missing a pretty major terrorist attack this

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oberleutnant posted:

Eh? I was using it in the sense of tantrum, squinny, wobbly. I'm assuming that word is only incidentally or accidentally the same as the other use of that word.

Apparently its likely etymology is from a suggestion of an Irishman's disposition to getting upset easily.

See definition 2: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/paddy

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

AP posted:

No the point was in the original post you quoted "It's a bit late to be complaining all that doesn't look that great to the electorate".

Who is "complaining all that doesn't look that great to the electorate"? The issue is gonna be May & UKIP taking a hard right turn in the wake of this in a naked attempt to politicise people's fear.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Jose posted:

Which one ? I don't like confusing my islamisms

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

Apparently its likely etymology is from a suggestion of an Irishman's disposition to getting upset easily.

See definition 2: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/paddy

Yikes!
Seriously I apologies for my thoughtlessness, and for any offence I caused anybody. It wasn't intentional.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Jose posted:

'White right-wing killers aren't terrorists' is maybe the third rule of reporting major violent incidents.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

MikeCrotch posted:

Who is "complaining all that doesn't look that great to the electorate"? The issue is gonna be May & UKIP taking a hard right turn in the wake of this in a naked attempt to politicise people's fear.

If you click quoted posts it takes you back to the post in question, it's easier to follow what was said that way.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Jose posted:

Jo Cox? Or that Norwegian fucker?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Oberleutnant posted:

Jo Cox? Or that Norwegian fucker?

Yeah, I assumed Breivik. Who would be the second-largest on that map.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Oberleutnant posted:

Yikes!
Seriously I apologies for my thoughtlessness, and for any offence I caused anybody. It wasn't intentional.

That's cool man. Usually when I push back against anti-Irish racism ITT people like pissflaps go off on tangents about the Empire, so it's nice to see a reasonable response! It's one of those ones like "gypped" that not everyone automatically associates with racism, but we're all learning​ all the time

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Yeah, I assumed Breivik. Who would be the second-largest on that map.

It only covers attacks since 2015.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

It only covers attacks since 2015.

Then why doesn't it show when your colleague shot our MP in the street?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Whites can't be terrorists, they're just mentally ill

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

WeAreTheRomans posted:

That's cool man. Usually when I push back against anti-Irish racism ITT people like pissflaps go off on tangents about the Empire, so it's nice to see a reasonable response! It's one of those ones like "gypped" that not everyone automatically associates with racism, but we're all learning​ all the time

This is a lie. You're a liar. We have never discussed anything of the sort.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Well, guess who has owned up to last night. It wasn't GCHQ, either.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
According to Reuters, Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the attack.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Pochoclo posted:

This is the UK we're talking about. Ireland is positively brimming with terrorists depending on which Brit you ask.

I just woke up and learned of this. My sympathy goes out to all the victims.

I don't follow UK politics that closely but this occurring just as I've been reading all the talk about the upcoming election is...disquieting.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Pochoclo posted:

This doesn't work in the U.K. The country is extremely used to the idea of terrorists with white faces.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
Arndale Centre arrestee:

Ed: *allegedly*

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Pissflaps posted:

This is a lie. You're a liar. We have never discussed anything of the sort.

ok

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/Butsay_/status/...r%3D845%23pti16

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Is that an 'ok I'm sorry I lied about you'?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I get that this is a massive story that people want to hear about, and I don't want to sound callous or dismissive or anything of the sort. But to briefly return to the earlier discussion about the media's relationship to these attacks:
This:

doesn't seem healthy somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It's not just 'the media' though - people want to read that stuff that's why it's the most read.

• Locked thread