Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

WHEN YOU STARE INTO THE ABYSS: 09/16/2030, 17:45

♪ BGM: Evil and Nightmares

--Natsuhiko couldn't help but scream as he returned to reality. Mashiro called out to him in surprise.

I-I don't know!
I don't know either, but... Ms. Tachibana spoke to us in the middle of Senses Sympathy...!
What do you mean!? Did you finish the malice erasure!?
N-no, we didn't...
We don't know what happened, either...

In confusion, they looked at Kazami... who then spoke in a chilling voice.

...That was too careless of you two. You should've known that diving into someone's mind means exposing your own. Thanks to your mistake, I now have the answer I've been looking for.
Th-the answer you've been looking for...!?
The reason why that girl-- the one you people call 'Subject N'-- died here. The answer was in your memories. That child... has been trapped inside this facility for a long time, hasn't she?
!?

Natsuhiko was shocked. How did Kazami know that!?

(I thought Ms. Tachibana was unable to use BC--!)

As soon as he thought that, a certain thought rose up from the back of Natsuhiko's mind.

Ah...!

Kazami -was- unable to use BC. In the past. Because her aptitude was low. Aptitude was genetic, meaning it normally did not change.

(But there's just one circumstance that can overturn that rule!)

'The conditions inside this facility today make aptitude increase possible'...!

Everyone gasped at that statement.

Ms. Tachibana, don't tell me...
...you've awoken to BC!?
I have. And just now, you've taught me how to use all of it, Tenkawa.

Kazami gave that reply with a smile. A beautiful, yet somehow sinister smile-- one that sent shivers down the spines of all who beheld it.

B-but still, regardless of how high your aptitude rose... how could you learn Senses Sympathy in such a short time!?
This girl here taught me.
...!

Kazami looked to the empty air beside her as she answered. The phantom Subject N was probably standing right there in her eyes.

And by reading your memory, I learned everything. The cause behind the entire incident and that girl's death... So it was Watase after all. And Mr. Ukita as well.

Kazami's clouded eyes were tinged with the glint of murderous intent.

Ms. Tachibana! Don't move!

But the very next moment-- a tremendous, brain-shaking voice echoed through the room.

Gghh!!

Everybody but Kazami screamed at the sound of that voice. Even Ena cowered and held her head as she struggled to keep her gun trained on Kazami. That voice was the same technique Natsuhiko had used in self-defense against Watase to stop him in his tracks--

(Brain damage through high-output telepathy!?)

By the time Natsuhiko grasped what had happened, Kazami grabbed Ena's body,

and hurled her away.

Aahh!

Ena's back slammed into the ground and bounced. Then, in what seemed like the blink of an eye, Kazami picked up Ena's gun. She then gazed at the others as they groaned in pain from their headaches.

(Th-this is terrible...! Ms. Tachibana awoke to BC while infected with malice! It's highly possible that connecting my mind to hers will just end with her infecting me with the malice instead...!)

Natsuhiko came to the realization of just how absurdly dangerous Kazami was. Extraordinary BC ability. A thoroughly tempered rescue worker physique. And a gun. There was no way for them to win. But Kazami spoke to them.

I won't kill any of you.
Huh...?
My goal lies elsewhere. And it has nothing to do with any of you. I won't harm you so long as you don't get in my way. Please, protect those girls who are precious to you.
...!?

Kazami slipped by Natsuhiko in his confusion-- --and left the surveillance room.

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

Just then, Mashiro spoke up to break them all away from their numb state.

Wh... what was that!? What was that just now!? What does she mean, 'my goal lies elsewhere'!?

Natsuhiko wracked his numbed brain to think. She said she wouldn't kill them, which meant--

She's really going to try and kill Watase!?
B-but remember what Lieutenant Tachibana just said? 'The cause behind the entire incident... was Watase after all. And Mr. Ukita as well! She said that like she was putting the blame on Mr. Ukita too, didn't she!?
Now that you mention it...!

But it seemed like her objective had changed. However, it didn't seem likely that she'd go out of her way to kill Ukita to protect the honor of his name, too.

(The main thing Watase and Mr. Ukita have in common is that they're both members of Q! Does Ms. Tachibana have a reason to hate Q!?) No, wait... she also said... That Watase and Mr. Ukita were behind the cause of that girl's death.
R-right...
If you connect the dots-- that means Ms. Tachibana's trying to avenge Subject N!?
B-but why!? How is she related to that Subject N girl!?

When asked that question, Natsuhiko--

Ah...

--finally realized something.

A quivering voice leaked from Natsuhiko's lips.

S-so that's what it was...!?
Huh?
...I get it now... I've figured out Subject N's true identity. She wasn't a child born in LABO at all...!

--Natsuhiko fell into despair at the sheer cruelty of the truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Darkness: 09/16/2030, 17:45

♪ BGM: Close to the Truth

Watase's group was faced with a different type of despair.

We can't... disarm the bomb...!

Watase's exhausted voice reverberated through the room. Watase and the others had taken on the tetryl bomb all by themselves. They'd managed to remove the digital protection and open the cover in just eight mere minutes. But Jun then groaned.

This thing... is no normal detonator!

It was a far trickier devil than Watase and the others had imagined. It was a detonator built with a nested structure where the fuse was covered with gunpowder that was surrounded by yet another fuse. Even the slightest mistake in the disarming procedure would set off a chain explosion.

I-is there nothing we can do?
...I don't think we'd be able to do anything even if we had more time. It's completely out of our hands unless we were to use an X-ray or something to see its inner workings while disarming it.
We don't have enough equipment... No, I'm not sure we could disarm this sucker even if we were fully equipped...
Regardless, we still must take a chance and--
It's too dangerous! Even the tiniest screw up'll blow us all sky high! We can't gamble on a risk like that!

Salyu bitterly gritted her teeth.

...We have no choice. Let's go back to Natsuhiko and the others for now and come up with a plan.
...Yeah.

Watase thought to himself as he waited for it to arrive.

(So we can't disarm the bomb. However... There is just one way left for everyone to survive.)

--No, that 'one way' wasn't technically a correct way. In fact, it was clearly the wrong way. For it was something Watase couldn't do.

(But if it comes down to it, I'll do it...)

Watase looked over everyone's faces as he thought that.

(Old man, Moribe, Salyu... I think the old man would agree with me, but...)

Watase suddenly noticed something just then. Jun had been staring at Subject N's room the whole time.

...What's up? You still worried about the bomb?
Ah, no... That's not it... What's bugging me is that room itself.
Huh?

Come to think of it, Jun had been surprised at first when she went into Subject N's room.

What about it troubles you?
I've seen that place long ago.

Jun stared firmly at Watase's face.

...Don't you remember it, Captain?
Remember what?
The room you found me and Nagisa in during that incident. We were in Nagisa's room when it happened. Subject N's room is like an exact copy of that place.
W... what...!?
Hey, what do you think that means?

Watase finally realized it at that moment. A quivering voice leaked from his lips.

I-it can't be...! Everyone thought she died nine years ago... but you're saying that in reality, Subject N is actually... Kazami's sister Nagisa!?

Jun silently nodded.

Wh-what!? Impossible! There is no way that could--
No, it's totally plausible!

--Yuuri had been confined in LABO nine years ago after they passed her off as ''dead'' to her family. So it wouldn't be all that strange if they used the same trick to confine Nagisa.

...So this Nagisa girl was a Communicator?
Probably... I mean, she was about to start school at Rokumei Academy...
No way...!

The elevator doors opened in synch with Watase's cry. Startled, he and the others got on it. Jun continued murmuring on their way up.

She said 'Nagisa' when she first saw that girl lying dead in front of the cargo lift. She was right in front of me and I didn't even realize it was her...!

Her voice echoed sorrowfully through the dim elevator.

(Th-then I... I caused Nagisa's death through my own terrorist plot!?)

He felt harrowing regret filling him.

(Kazami thought her sister was dead all these years, and today she was finally able to reunite with her... Only for Nagisa to die then and there! If Kazami ever realized that--!!)

Right when his train of thought reached that point, the elevator arrived in Area N. --A light shined upon the team. A shadow stood in the midst of that white darkness.

Ah...!

Watase looked at that shadow with wide eyes.

♪ BGM: Approaching Death

Standing there was none other than Kazami.

I've been expecting you, Watase. Mr. Ukita...!

Tears welled up in her eyes when she said that--

She pulled the trigger.

Automatic PA: Now shifting to uninterruptible power system. All power supplies, barring that to the control room, Area Zero, the WX particle amplifier, and all lifelines, will be cut.

The facility was then sealed in darkness. Four shadows fumbled their way through that darkness. --There were only thirty minutes left until the lockdown lifted. Nine convictions blended in the dark--

Ladies and gentlemen, we're in the home stretch. Everything is coming to a head: The bomb is due to go off in 30 minutes. Kazami is still under the influence of the malice of Subject N, and she's become a world-class Communicator thanks to the WX amplifier, Natsuhiko's memories, and some coaching from Subject N, and she's hell-bent on killing Watase and Ukita. poo poo has gotten even more real than before.

Now, the next chapter will actually feature some decisions that you get to make, and they will have direct impact on the ending we will get. But before we start rushing towards the ending, I'd like to take a step back and give you the full picture - what the altered memories really looked like in full, what would have happened had we not decided to read the full version of everybody's memories, and so on. There's no minor content branches left beyond here - every branch will either be a bad end branch, or an actual ending branch. Therefore, this is a good place to go back and clean up Route Double, and so that's what we'll be doing next.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
There's only ever been one picture of Nagisa's room that I recall (that, and people already guessed the connection beforehand), so it's really easy to skip over.

Taking a look through the altered memories in full is quite an interesting experience, as you get to see exactly where their thoughts became twisted and the direction it took as a result.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
BC doesn't actually help you much in the dark, right? You can flail around with your brain, but you've got no idea what you're pointing it at?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Glazius posted:

BC doesn't actually help you much in the dark, right? You can flail around with your brain, but you've got no idea what you're pointing it at?

Actually, BC would be a massive help in the dark in so far that telepathy works without seeing the person you're trying to target, so Kazami could try to pull the "incapacitate everybody through high-power telepathy" trick again. She couldn't use Senses Sympathy due to not being able to touch the others, but she could use either telepathy or maybe empathy (to find out where they're trying to run so she can catch them there).

However, Kazami's main problem is going to be being caught off guard by the power outage and losing track of them, since she's in rage mode right now and not making the most rational decisions. Our intrepid bomb disposal unit might have just gotten a very lucky break.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

BC mainly works in that you identify the person's mental wave pattern and target it, but untargeted telepathy would also work. Senses Sympathy likely requires range too close to use.

At least targeted gun usage is a lot less likely.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Prologue & Epilogue: 09/16/2030, 16:09

So, time to find out all the different ways we could have hosed up in Route Double. The first part where we avoided some bad ends was here, during ONCE AGAIN. Watase's got his malice-filled memories back, and he's not happy. Natsuhiko thinks he's got the solution to the problem - deleting Watase's memories once more. Back when we went through this, cooler heads prevailed and Natsuhiko went for fixing Watase's memories instead of erasing them. But what if he did decide to go with his original plan?

(No way!? Is it even possible to repair those memories while exposed to that malice!?)

But Natsuhiko felt like the truth would slip further away from him if he did erase Watase's memories again. Watase kept drawing closer. No time to hesitate! Natsuhiko--

To destroy them.

(He'll kill both me and Yuuri if I try to be picky about which memories to destroy! I'll have to destroy all of them again! It's the only way!)

(Please! Just-- shatter!)

And with that wish--

Gah... agh...!

--all of those scenes burst apart and vanished into darkness.

----
------

His consciousness was in an endless darkness. A world where everything was closed off. Sight, hearing, touch, smell, taste... he'd been disconnected from all his senses. It didn't feel like there was a world around for him to experience at all.

???: (Where am I...?)

He didn't know. His head was a total blank.

???: (What is this...?)

All he could sense was a feeling of loss.

???: (What's... going on...?)

It felt like he was lacking anything definitive.

???: (How did this happen?)

Once he desperately searched for the cause-- He thought he heard someone calling for him.

----------

The man opened his eyes as if that voice were compelling him to.

♪ BGM: Psychological Warfare

Right in front of him-- --were an unfamiliar boy and girl, both looking at his face with concern.

...Who... Who... are you guys...?
!?

The girl gasped at that question. It was like he'd said something completely unbelievable.

Hikorin! Captain Kasasagi's memories... Don't tell me you...!?
...I didn't have a choice. I did it to protect you...
No way... That's too cruel, Hikorin...
But what was I supposed to do!? Sure, I feel bad for him, but there was really no other way...!

The man looked at the two in confusion. The girl was hanging her head with a sad look on her face, while a bitter expression adorned the boy's. He couldn't tell what they were arguing about. This ''Captain Kasasagi'' they were talking about probably referred to him.

(Wait, huh...? I'm... huh? Who...) Who am I!?

When the man realized he couldn't remember anything, he instinctively raised his voice at the children. But they did not answer.

...Anyway, Watase's memories were being manipulated by that Subject N girl... It seems she amplified the malice in his heart to an extreme degree. Perhaps everyone else has succumbed to the same malice as Watase...
You mean like Ms. Jun and Ms. Tachibana?
Yeah, probably. It'll be dangerous... but we have to do something about everyone's malice.

The children continued their incomprehensible conversation without paying any heed to the man. The only thing he could vaguely understand was that something strange was going on... The man repeated his questions as many others ran through his brain.

H-hey, tell me! Who are you guys? Who am I!?
Well...
Where are we!? What the hell is going on!? Please! Tell me!

Those questions rendered them silent. The boy then seemed to resolve himself and spoke to the man.

...Wait here.
Huh? Wh-what do you mean...?
It's dangerous outside! Don't leave this place!
...!

The man was overwhelmed by the boy's intensity and nodded on instinct. When he did, the boy turned to the girl and spoke.

Let's go, Yuuri.
R-right...

After that exchange, the two of them walked up to a metal door that appeared to be the exit. The girl then pressed a panel next to that door several times-- And they tottered out of the room.

...The man waited quietly in the room for a while afterwards. But neither of them came back.

(What's going on...? Where did they go?)

With anxiety taking hold of him, the man tried to leave the room. --But for some reason, there was a wall right outside the door blocking his path.

Wha... what the hell is this?

He banged on the wall, but it didn't budge at all.

(What's going on...? How did those kids get past this?)

He reluctantly returned to the room.

(First things first, I gotta do something about that wall...)

He looked around the room to see if there were any tools to break the wall down--

(Wait, that's right. That girl was fiddling around with this panel before she left the room. Is that the key to opening that door?)

The man tried tapping the panel. But the random combination of numbers he put in was only met by the sound of a buzzer. The wall showed no signs of opening. --After many failed attempts, the man finally gave up.

Dammit, so just typing blindly isn't gonna work... Then I guess I don't have a choice but to do what they said.

The man decided to quietly wait for the kids' return. All the while struggling against the anxiety of not knowing who he was. ...However... No matter how long he waited, they never returned. He'd already been locked in the room for quite a while. Something must have happened. Or maybe it was still happening.

They're taking way too long... I wonder if they're okay...

The man checked his watch. The time was ''6:17 PM''.

(Huh? Something about this time rings a...)

At that moment--

A thunderous roar suddenly rose up from beneath him.

(!? Wh-what's happening!?)

The sound and shockwaves rapidly grew in intensity. Just as he was preparing to flee, the door in front of him burst inward.

The flames of an explosion surged into the room.

(Why are there fla--...)

The man was completely incinerated before he could even finish that thought.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

DON'T WANT TO BE ALONE AT THE END OF THE WORLD: 09/16/2030, 16:09

Now, that was one way we could gently caress up on this decision, but there's another one. If we end up not favoring anybody, Natsuhiko has a bit of a problem making a decision.

(No way!? Is it even possible to repair those memories while exposed to that malice!?)

But Natsuhiko felt like the truth would slip further away from him if he did erase Watase's memories again. Watase kept drawing closer. No time to hesitate! Natsuhiko--

--couldn't come to a conclusion. In that moment of hesitation, Watase stole the gun from Natsuhiko.

Ahh! (He's gonna shoot!)

Fresh blood danced in the air to the sound of a dry whistle.

But nothing happened to Natsuhiko's body. --For Yuuri had promptly dived in front of him.

Aah...

♪ BGM: Abyss

A gasp seeped from Natsuhiko's lips as Yuuri's body crumbled to the floor.

Y... Yuuri!

Natsuhiko lifted her in his arms. His hands them came into contact with something warm and sticky:

Hiko... rin...

Yuuri spoke with a fading voice.

Hikorin... I'm sorry...

Yuuri... Yuuri...!?

Natsuhiko shook her body. But there was no response. He could feel life slipping away from her body. --Yuuri was dead. Natsuhiko screamed once he realized that fact.

Natsuhiko gave into emotion and grabbed at Watase. But Watase's hand was still wrapped around his gun.

The gun spouted fire once more-- but this time, the bullet hit Natsuhiko.

Ghh...!

He felt an intense impact in his stomach. His legs lost strength and he nearly collapsed.

Wa... ta... se...!
...It hurts, doesn't it? That's Wataru's pain.

Natsuhiko focused his mind as he heard that cold voice.

(... I'll use Senses Sympathy once more... I'll blow all of his memories away...!)

Natsuhiko withstood the intense pain and tried to invoke that ability, but then--

Feel Wataru's pain in hell! You drat Communicators!

Watase shouted with rage as he pulled the trigger.

An intense shock ran through Natsuhiko's left chest. But he withstood the pain regardless.

But even so, Natsuhiko stood firm.

----!!

With a voiceless shout, Natsuhiko used the last of his ability.

(I'll destroy all of the memories that compose Watase's mind!)
Ghh!?

He heard Watase's pained voice. But Natsuhiko still did not let up.

(I'll destroy every last memory in your mind! I won't leave even the smallest one behind!)
Gah, ah, aah...!!

Watase's agonized voice continued. But Natsuhiko still did not let up.

(I'll burn your brain into dust! Burn in hell, Watase!)
Agghghghgh... gh-ghah! Ggggghhhh! Gh... hh... nn.

In one moment, Natsuhiko heard that feeble voice-- And the next, he heard Watase collapse.

(I... I did it...)

But at that moment, Natsuhiko's body reached its limit as well. He slowly collapsed on the spot.

(Is... is this as far as I go...?)

There was nothing more that Natsuhiko could do.

(I'm sorry, Yuuri... In the end, I couldn't protect you...)

Natsuhiko's mind was full of regret. But at that moment, he thought he felt Yuuri grasp his hand back.

(Yuuri...)

And hand in hand, their short lives came to a close.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

I like that the first one doesn't beat around the bush, it's just

Stay here, I can go save everyone on my own.
He couldn't.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Explosions posted:

I like that the first one doesn't beat around the bush, it's just

Stay here, I can go save everyone on my own.
He couldn't.

Well, they might be able to do Ukita's, but certainly not malice-Jun. Best Buddy Engine Cutter would put an end to that.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Program: 07/07/2028: 16:31

So first off, we've passed over Watase's RAM segment, and the reason I did that is because we've already seen the unaltered versions of those scenes when we originally went through Watase's memories, in ''Dies Irae'' and ''Falsche Welt, dir trau ich nicht''. So we're just going to move on from that.

Now, there's one decision we can make here in Partner. Natsuhiko is considering wiping Watase's memory again in order to keep him from taking away Yuuri. We got him to disregard that plan by favoring Watase, but what if we didn't?

--Then there was a way to put a stop to him. Indeed. There was something Natsuhiko could do.

(... If I just erase Watase's memory one more time... If I turn him back into an ''amnesiac rescue worker unaware that he's really a terrorist''--!)

--But on the other hand-- His mind hazed with the question of ''is this really okay?''

The game asks us again if we're really sure we want to do what we're doing, and we do.

The damage from the erasures had accumulated, leaving Watase's brain at what might be its limit. So if Natsuhiko erased his memories one more time-- it could quite possibly be fatal.

(But that's... the only way I can save Yuuri...)

He could think of no other method. So at the end of his inner conflict, he was able to justify his conclusion.

(... It's okay. It's okay... I'm sure Watase's brain can withstand just one more erasure. Besides, it'd be for the best for Watase's sake as well... Because at heart, he's not a terrorist, but a rescue worker...!)

And he was the same way before he had learned the truth behind his family's death and joined Q for revenge.

(So, once everything's over... I'll erase Watase's memory as a terrorist, returning him to how he was ''originally''.)

And Watase will finally be free from all wicked intentions. Natsuhiko decided to believe his plan was the right thing to do.

(... Besides, Watase might change his mind before we get out of LABO. It's a low possibility, but... let's just hope for the best.)

And with that in mind, Natsuhiko called out to Watase.

...Why so quiet? Can't accept that I'll be taking Yuuri with me?

And with that, the chapter proceeds as it did in our playthrough. This decision doesn't have any immediate impact, but it will prevent us from getting the best ending. So we made the right choice back then. Moving on...

The actual main diversion we're getting to here is the decision to mind probe Ukita more intensely or not, made during ''NINE YEARS WORTH OF CONVERSATION''. We decided to dive deep into his memory, but what if we didn't?

Everyone's lives hung on Natsuhiko's shoulders. He could never be too careful with malice erasure in this situation. But just how detailed of a check should he run? Should he look through Ukita's memories in detail, or only the bare minimum...?

(I want to keep it to the bare minimum...)

Indeed. This wasn't the time to preoccupy himself with unnecessary worries. Natsuhiko decided to prioritize escape over anything else.

...Okay. Let's dive into Mr. Ukita's memory then...!

As Natsuhiko held his breath in anxiety, Yuuri gently grasped his hand.

Hikorin, I'm here for you...

Natsuhiko nodded at her words, walked up to Ukita-- --and activated Senses Sympathy.

He saw scenes leading up to when Ukita had committed the terrorist attack appear and disappear.

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 3

So what we're getting here is an abridged version of the chapters we saw when we decided to go in for a deep mind probe with Ukita.

He had been nothing more than a diligent researcher of LABO up until that point--

Specifically, he learned that there was at least one ''test subject'' confined in ''Area Zero'', a third basement level that normal researchers weren't allowed into.

(Impossible... does this mean that LABO is conducting human experimentation underground...!?)

Ukita didn't want to believe that the workplace he was so attached to was secretly doing that kind of thing behind closed doors. But the more he investigated, the more his doubts grew-- Then he finally obtained some undeniable proof. It was in the form of a document regarding the fire that had happened in LABO years ago.

(There's no doubt about it... they're keeping Communicators locked away in LABO...!)

And it wasn't just one of them. ''Subject N'' and ''Subject Y-II'' were most likely the names of the people they'd confined.

He too worked at LABO. Not only had he not known anything, he could have been helping with the human experimentation all those years without ever realizing it. Guilt and rage swirled within him-- And soon transformed into a sense of justice.

(... I have to save them. I must rescue the test subjects...!)

He knew it would probably be nigh-impossible. He was nothing more than a single researcher.

(And besides, LABO would never forgive me for that... There's a possibility that they'll erase me if I try to bring these secrets to light.)

In fact, it appeared there had been a researcher who tried to save a test subject before Ukita-- But he died under suspicious circumstances afterwards.

(Will I meet the same fate...? ...No! That doesn't matter! I still have to do it!)

Ukita was probably the only one in the city at that moment who wished to free the test subjects. If he were the only one who could act, then inaction was a sin. Ukita turned around and glared at LABO's gargantuan shadow.

(... I'll do it. I'll save those test subjects... from this prison.)

Ukita's fight began from that day onwards.

He knew he couldn't take them on by himself, so he looked for help. But neither the police nor the media looked viable. It was when Ukita had thought he was at a dead end that he was contacted by none other than-- --''Q'', the largest domestic anti-BC terrorist organization. They had a grudge against LABO, and their interests matched up with Ukita's. Ukita felt quite uneasy about joining a terrorist organization, but he reluctantly decided to accept their help.

The two of them swore to fight against LABO together.

...I'll help you out as much as I'm needed to.
...I am grateful beyond words to hear that.

Ukita then gave a firm handshake to his newfound comrade.

And on September 16, they finally put their plan into motion.

♪ BGM: Looming Crisis

--Ukita detonated bombs disguised as fire extinguishers, which caused fires and summoned the rescue squad-- Then he and Watase's group took advantage of the pandemonium to rescue the test subjects. Everything was going according to plan, thanks to the careful set-up they put into it. ...Yes, everything was supposed to have gone as planned. Or at least it had been until Watase's group returned from Area Zero. --There were supposed to be two test subjects, but the group had only taken ''Subject N'' with them. ''Subject Y-II'' had been nowhere to be seen. A minor setback, but nothing that couldn't be fixed. ...The -real- problem was that Watase's group had killed the high ranked researchers down in Area Zero...!

You told me there'd be no casualties, remember!?
N-no... it was an accident.
An accident!? Are you saying those two died in an accident!?

Ukita then tried to grab Watase, but then--

!

A shock ran through the back of his head. Watase had hit him there with the butt of his gun.

Wh... y...?

Ukita's heart was filled with the bitter thought that he had been betrayed.

It's too late... for us to turn back.

He felt he could make out Watase saying that as his consciousness faded. --Ukita woke up a little while later. It wasn't long after that when he reunited with Watase--

Utterly confused, Ukita asked Watase what was going on, and he only had this to say:

The truth is, it looks like I hit my head really hard a little while back... and thanks to that, I can barely remember anything...
Barely remember anything... Are you serious!?

Ukita was suspicious. He didn't know why Watase would say something like that. Perhaps he was lying to hide his involvement in the terrorist plot from the others.

(... At any rate, Captain Kasasagi is dangerous...! I must protect the test subjects...!)

He didn't know what they looked like. But it was possible that this ''Yuuri'' girl who was accompanying Watase was in fact ''Subject Y-II''.

(Don't let your guard down... The plan is still underway. Even if Captain Kasasagi has betrayed me, I swear... I will save them all.)

(... So Mr. Ukita was acting this whole time to protect us. And at the same time, he kept his guard up high because he didn't know Watase's true intentions...!)

At any rate, those appeared to be Ukita's ''motive'' and ''intentions''.

(Then what happened after this...?)

Only to smell a floral scent drifting in from somewhere.

(! The floral scent...! This is it! Mr. Ukita's memories were distorted after this point!)

Natsuhiko's consciousness tensed up at that moment. Yuuri's voice echoed in his head.

{Hikorin! Look for that floral scent in the memories past this part!}
(Yeah!)
{Then try to remember what happened after this point. Remember how Mr. Ukita felt... His memories should be repaired to their proper form depending on your feelings. Once you've done that, you can return him back to normal.}

Natsuhiko fortified his determination and began memory access once again. His search criterion was-- ''floral-scented memories''.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Debug: A: 09/16/2030, 10:11 - N-ified

Alright, now it's time to see what Subject N did to Ukita's memories in full. We'll just skip straight to the Senses input for these.

So this time around, we're just going to leave our Senses low and see what happens.

Perhaps Watase, Dojima, and Hiyama had prepared a different escape route, or perhaps they had been planning to escape when the lockdown lifted at 6:16 PM?

(In the first place, is it really just a coincidence that the jackhammer broke!? Or did someone break it intentionally!?)

Huh?
The hell if I know. Anyway, why're you freaking out so much, old man? We're feeling down here because we lost one of our squadmates. And yet your response is to choke me? What the hell's your problem?
N-no, I just...
Well, whatever. Anyway, get your hands off me.

Intimidated, Ukita unconsciously let go of Watase.

Oh brother... but things sure took a somber turn, that's for sure.
Yes, I never thought Dojima would...

Watase took his attention off Ukita and began talking with the others about the bodies. Ukita stood behind them-- and felt the core of his body shudder.

(H-he... he just showed his true colors for a moment there...!)

Ukita himself had almost slipped up back there, but he had a feeling Watase's sudden shift in attitude was nothing to take lightly. ...He quickly grew scared of him. No, now that he thought about it, he had been afraid of him from the beginning. Watase had the muscles and body of a beast. One punch from him and Ukita's scrawny body wouldn't stand a chance.

(The only one who could have done that... is Captain Kasasagi, right?)

His doubts grew stronger. Ukita decided to hide his fear as he continued with the search for the time being...

(S-something's... definitely strange about that memory. Dammit, so I need to put in more positive feelings for Watase or it won't work?)

And back at the RAM screen, we can see that the scene hasn't turned red, so the game is once again telling us that we didn't do it right.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Debug: B: 09/16/2030, 11:17 - N-ified

There was no pretension whatsoever in Watase's reply.

(Impossible... could his amnesia actually be for real?)

He asked Watase to be safe.

Are you sure you don't remember anything? Such as why you went down to the basement, or the names of the people you were trying to save?

Really...?

Just as Ukita said that-- Watase chuckled.

What's with that question, old man?
Huh?
It feels like you're testing me or something... Is there something you want to say?
!!

There was something sinister hidden in Watase's smile.

Are you saying that you're doubting my amnesia? You are, aren't you? You think this is all a lie I cooked up?
N-no, I would never...
Dumbass. No way in hell it's a lie. What would I even have to gain from lying like that? Use that big brain of yours and actually think. You're a scientist, aren't you?
Ugh, khh...
No answer? Then-- That would mean you're doubting me for no adequate reason, right?

Watase slowly walked up to Ukita. Ukita instinctively stepped back. But he soon bumped into something and couldn't retreat any further.

...Hey, didn't you learn anything in school? 'Doubting others is a bad thing'. Remember that one? Y'know, seeing that doubtful look of yours all the drat time is pissing me off a bit, you hear?
No, you've got it all wrong! I'm just...
You're just...?
I... I'm just worried about you.

Ukita said that as a submissive smile rose to his face. When he did, Watase gave him a broad smile.

Ha! I see, I see. So you were worried about me, huh!?
P-precisely.
Well, that's good. I wasn't sure what I was going to do if you'd been doubting me. I mean, the only one who could have killed a buff guy like Dojima with their bare hands would be someone like me, right?
Ugh...
But that's impossible. I mean, I can't remember anything, so I don't have a motive to kill him at all. Ain't that right, old man?
Y-yes...
Good, glad we're on the same page. Then let's get to starting up that sprinkler system, stat. Okay then, lead the way.

Watase said that in his normal voice.

U-understood. It's this way.

Ukita's feet shuddered with fear as he started walking. --The way Watase had been pressuring him-- Suddenly reminded him of a delinquent from his class in middle school. A boy who always seemed cheerful and nice, but was totally unpredictable when something made him snap. Just now, he'd felt the exact same kind of paralyzing fear that he did from those many times that boy picked fights with him.

(Amnesia or not... Captain Kasasagi really does have a dangerous side to him. What is he after...?)

Doubts and fear grew stronger in Ukita's head.

(But... I should avoid defying Captain Kasasagi for now... and focus on finding Hiyama first. He's probably still with Subject N.)

--But Watase never showed any signs of odd behavior after that.

But when they made it to B2 of Area 4's outer ring--

Wha... i-is that true...!?

That sudden announcement left Ukita confused.

(No... maybe it still was Hiyama. Perhaps he killed the three of them but got injured in the process, then got caught in the fire afterwards...?)

The more he thought about it, the less it made sense. Regardless, there was no way Ukita was giving up on his search for Subject N and Natsuhiko and his friends.

(What the hell was that!? It made Watase look like some street punk! Doesn't look like I'll be able to fix this memory unless I put in more positive feelings for Watase!)

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Debug: C: 09/16/2030, 11:47 - N-ified

Now, this is kind of interesting, because we have two ways to change this scene. First off...

...we're going to set Ukita's Sense of Ena very low.

Stop it, Ms. Tsubakiyama! What do you think you're doing!?
Well, um... there were all these machines I'd never seen before, so I just got curious...
Just get away from that computer right now. I'm telling you this for your own safety.

You will be in danger if you do otherwise.

When he said that-- a bewitching smile suddenly rose to Ena's face.

Oh, so that's why...? You really are worried about me, aren't you?

Just then, Watase and the others came in.

Hey, what's going on?
Hell if I know. Mr. Ukita here got pissed off all of a sudden when I started fiddling around with these computers.
Mr. Ukita, could you explain the meaning of your actions?
Yeah, I wanna know too! There's no harm in just touching a computer, right?
No, it's a major problem. They conduct research related to national policy here. It'd be best to not recklessly go looking for information in this place.
Oh come on, is this really the time be saying that? This is an emergency here. A do or die situation.
Regardless... the things contained from Area 5 onwards are about as top secret as you can possibly get. Even if we can make it out of here in one piece, I strongly suggest that you do -not- tell anyone on the outside about what you saw here. The consequences for doing so could prove unexpectedly dire...

Ukita was being truly honest in not wanting normal citizens to see LABO's top secret information. However--

I see... so you're trying to threaten us, is that it? Man, talk about suspicious.
What...?
Well, yeah. I heard the PA announcement earlier. They'd confirmed on the surface roll-call that all staff members had evacuated. So why are you still down here? Isn't that strange?
In that case, aren't you just as suspicious as I am? What is a Rokumei Academy professor doing in a place like this to begin with?
Stop right there. That's enough, you guys. This isn't the time to be fighting, is it?
Hmph. Fine, okay.

The argument had ceased for now. But feelings of dislike towards Ena were most certainly taking root in Ukita's heart...

(... It looks like his memory about Prof. Tsubakiyama was rewritten. It'd probably be best to increase his positive feelings for her at this point. But how much is the right amount...?)

So that wasn't right. Now, let's try something else...

...so what if we set Ukita's Sense of Ena very high?

Stop it, Ms. Tsubakiyama! What do you think you're doing!?
Well, um... there were all these machines I'd never seen before, so I just got curious...
Just get away from that computer right now. I'm telling you this for your own safety.

They conduct research related to national policy here. It'd be best to not recklessly go looking for information in this place. You will be in danger if you do otherwise.

When he said that-- a bewitching smile suddenly rose to Ena's face.

♪ BGM: Achiever / Theme of Ena

Oh, so that's why...? You really are worried about me, aren't you?
Huh? O-oh, well, yes...
You don't look all that reliable, but you've got some surprisingly good parts about you.

Ena said that, then drew up close to Ukita.

Wh-what are you doing?
Oh, nothing really. Just thinking about how nice you are...
N... nice?
Well you know, being in this type of situation makes me want a man I can rely on, see? But Captain Kasasagi's a bit scary, so...

True, Watase was like that, but--

The thing is, I like serious men more than insensitive guys like him.

Ena then touched Ukita's arm. An electrical current ran through Ukita's body at that moment.

I-is this really the time to be talking about this!? And besides, Moribe is here too, you know--
Oh my, looks like that little girl's gone off somewhere.
Huh? Ah...

Jun had left the room without him even noticing it.

Now that the kids are gone... Why don't we have a little chat?
'A little chat'...?
We'll need teamwork to get out of here alive, yes? But I've been thinking that we're lacking in intimacy. So... you see what I'm getting at? I'd like to take the chance to get more intimate with you.
Th-that's--

But before Ukita could finish, the door behind him suddenly opened up.

!!

He turned around in surprise to see Jun, Watase, and the others standing there. Jun had probably called them over. Watase was glaring at Ukita.

...What the hell are you guys doing?

Ena immediately separated herself from Ukita at that moment and spoke.

Hell if I know. Mr. Ukita here got pissed off all of a sudden when I started fiddling around with these computers. Then he grabbed me by the arm and started lecturing me.
Wha...!?

Ukita felt a moment's astonishment run through him when he heard Ena's lie-- but then Kazami cut in.

Mr. Ukita, could you explain the meaning of your actions?
A-ah, no... I was just telling her to be careful not to look at any top secret information. The things contained from Area 5 onwards are about as top secret as you can possibly get. Even if we can make it out of here in one piece, I strongly suggest that you do -not- tell anyone on the outside about what you saw here. The consequences for doing so could prove unexpectedly dire...

While he was giving his explanations, a pool of doubt welled up within Ukita.

(What was she trying to achieve by talking that way to me earlier...!?)

Ena was totally calm at the moment, the complete opposite of the way she'd acted just minutes ago. As if she'd forgotten all about that.

(... Does she seduce men so she can try to get them to do her bidding?)

Now that he looked over her carefully, Ena was quite a beautiful and glamorous woman. Perhaps she used her own body as bait to lure ordinary men--

(But why did she try to seduce me...!?)

--However, in the end, Ukita never got a step closer to answering that question...

(It's not that I don't get where you're coming from, Mr. Ukita... but I doubt Prof. Tsubakiyama is that kind of person. ...That said, looks like repairing this one's gonna be a little tricky. I should probably readjust his feelings for Teach to a more natural level...)

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 22, 2017

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hahahaha goddamnit Natsuhiko

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Ether: 09/16/2030, 12:15

So now I've gone back and fixed Ukita's memories proper, but we still didn't get a full overview of his memories. How will this change the scene with Subject N? Let's find out.

Tips posted:

TIP: Ether
Category: Nonfiction

Short for ethernet. Refers to the worldwide standard computer networking technologies used for local area networks (LANs).

The ''ether'' in ethernet comes from an old concept in physics also spelled as aether. Aether was a particle presumed to fill all space and act as a medium for the transmission of light. However, Einstein established the special theory of relativity without the use of aether, and today the concept of aether has become obsolete. Aether was said to fill the atmosphere, yet be invisible to the eye. Something that existed, yet did not exist.

Something that did not exist, yet existed. The concept of Aether particles was similar to the concept of BC particles which drift through the air and are loaded with human emotions like malice. Aether is treated like the 17th century concept of phlogiston, a proposed chemical element said to control combustion. The existence of such substances has been denied over the course of scientific history.

...at the memory right before Ukita had been infected with Subject N's malice.

{Be careful, Hikorin. I'm sure N's just up ahead...}
Yeah, I got it. I'll be careful this time to make sure she doesn't corrode me like she did back when I encountered her in Watase's memory.

Natsuhiko pulled himself together and looked into Ukita's memories.

(I knew it... this is where Mr. Ukita was infected with malice.)

But something felt off. ...It was too quiet.

(Huh!? But weren't the others with him at the time!?)

No, that wasn't all that was odd. Natsuhiko had ''looked around'' of his own accord. Which meant--

(This isn't Mr. Ukita's memory! It's just like with Watase--!)

A voice then filled the air.

???: It would appear that you have realized that this is no ordinary memory, no?

Natsuhiko gasped and watched in surprise as Subject N's body slowly stood up.

No, that is incorrect. I am not Subject N. On the other hand, nor am I Keiji Ukita proper.

She was talking much differently that the ''spirit'' of Subject N that Natsuhiko had encountered in Watase's head. Much like how that spirit's speech and personality had been strongly influenced by Watase, this one had most likely been influenced by Ukita. Thinking to himself, Natsuhiko responded to her.

So if you're not Subject N or Mr. Ukita-- then who are you?
Hmph, looks like the apple fell far from the tree. Then allow me to enlighten you on my viewpoint. Would you happen to know what a 'null value' is? It's an expression used in programming languages and database entry. It refers to a state where no data has been input, or an empty character string with a length of zero.
...?
You don't understand? Then allow me to put it in layman's terms. Null values are something like '''' that exist within a program. These '''' possess no information in the world of information. But those null values do certainly exist. I'm much like those null values. I am 'nowhere', but I do indeed exist inside Ukita's brain. But I'm a meaningless entity who only exists there.

It appeared Subject N was trying to say that there was no need to erase her because she was meaningless. But Natsuhiko wasn't fooled by her words.

Don't lie, Subject N! If you're a meaningless entity, then why did Ukita's personality change!?
Oh, so you say his personality changed? Would you be talking about -this- Ukita, then?

The scene in front of them changed the moment Subject N said that.

...Go ahead and laugh. I know it's fragile justice. But it's my choice. If killing you means it'll put an end to all of this, then I'll do what I must. Even if it means staining my hands in sin for the first and last time in my life...! (If I don't, Captain Kasasagi will kill both Subject Y-II and Natsuhiko...!)

Did Ukita's personality really change? I just want to keep you and Subject Y-II safe from Captain Kasasagi through whatever means necessary. Are those not Keiji Ukita's actual feelings?

Subject N's words did indeed nearly sound true. But Natsuhiko denied them.

...No. Despite all that, Mr. Ukita never wanted to kill anyone. Never. You're not some meaningless '''' either. You're 'malice' incarnate. You really are Subject N. Plain and simple.
Hahah, I see... Then what will you do? Erase me? For I am not Ukita, but rather a different being known as Subject N?
Yeah... because Mr. Ukita will never go back to normal if I don't...
I see... So you'll erase me knowing that I'm not a meaningless entity... Well, whatever... if you're so sure of your own sense of justice, then do it.
No... maybe I'm the one who's wrong. But I'm sorry... I'm going to erase you, Subject N...

Whether Subject N was a meaningless existence or not was a question not even Natsuhiko had an answer for. But regardless, he had to bring Ukita back to normal. So in order to do that--

So basically, there was a bit of a change, but all things considered, no real difference - Subject N is confronted and erased. What you don't know is that not going in for the full mind probe with everybody leads to not being able to get the best ending. But next, we'll look at the more interesting option - not fixing Ukita's memories and still confronting Subject N.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

The standout here has to be the N-ified "Debug: C" with a high sense of Ena.

Ara ara, is that some AD in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?
(Geez, I know Ena is a total babe, Ukita, but she's not that blatant.)

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
This is gonna be unpopular, but I can sorta get behind Miyoko being an absent mom in exchange for the opportunity to save communicators from dying an early death, including her son. The short life span thing has come up since early on and I was really expecting Ukita to end up being a secret Type-S because he looks old but is still fairly young.

Miyoko didn't do NOTHING wrong, but I still think she's a net positive, especially since LABO doesn't exactly frown on permanent severance packages. :colbert:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Right, it's an explanation for her actions, but it's not that good of a justification. Especially since she plays the 'absentee parent working to save everyone including their kid and has domestic troubles because of being such an absentee parent' trope to a T.

That's the real problem with her. She hasn't done anything outside of that mold.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
I think that every problem with Miyoko can be summarized as 'in hindsight, she didn't do enough'. She didn't do enough to make Natsuhiko trust her enough that he would tell her about the terrorist attack, she didn't do enough to try and ease Natsuhiko out of his Yuuri delusions (not that I'll hold that against her), she didn't do enough to ensure Nagisa remained sane and Salyu remain empathetic and she didn't do enough to stop LABO going down the path it did. But all this is apparent because hindsight is 20/20.
No one could have known that S-ranks can become murder bombs, so when one did, the idea of keeping them secure and top secret seemed like a great idea until it wasn't.
Getting Yuuri to try and help Natsuhiko out of his angst coma (not really a coma, but whatever) was a great idea until Yuuri got cold feet and botched it.
Holding her to blame for Nagisa and Salyu seems disingenuous given the hostile work environment for someone who barely toed the company line like her (and what would happen if she stopped entirely), she really was doing the best she could in the circumstances that she'd gradually created for herself.
Staying at work to give hope and happiness to people who really would not have any otherwise, and to try and give Nat a life expectancy greater than 25, was a (not great, but alright) idea, until Natsuhiko finally got into his teen rebel, I-know-better-than-you-Mum phase and had someone on his side badass enough to make it that far (that she assigned to protect Natsuhiko no less).
But the thing is, she didn't know that any of that could happen (except Nagisa and Salyu, but again, not much she could do). Why would the co-workers she knew and trusted fall so low? Why would Yuuri cause herself and Natsuhiko such pain? Why would Natsuhiko, after such a long period of cynicism and detachment, come upon a terrorist plot and throw himself into it with such passion? Why would Salyu go along with such a crazy idea?

TL;DR Hindsight is a bitch. And I'm sure Miyoko sees that bitch's reflection every time she looks into Natsuhiko's eyes (or Yuuri's or Salyu's or...).

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Fatal Error: 09/16/2030, 12:15

Now, that's what happens when you don't get the full picture on Ukita. But now it's time for my favorite part of the game - Subject N owning Natsuhiko. What happens when we actually don't fix Ukita's memories?

...at the memory right before Ukita had been infected with Subject N's malice.

{Be careful, Hikorin. I'm sure N's just up ahead...}
Yeah, I got it. I'll be careful this time to make sure she doesn't corrode me like she did back when I encountered her in Watase's memory.

Natsuhiko pulled himself together and looked into Ukita's memories.

Ukita stood a bit away from the girl, paralyzed with shock. His mind went blank at the tragic sight of the girl he wanted to save, reduced to a lifeless body.

I... I'll run a vitals check on her...

Kazami ran up to Subject N and wrapped her Vital Checker around the girl's arm.

Status all red... Her pupils have dilated... Moribe, help me out. I'm going to perform CPR.
R-right.

The two rescue workers then laid Subject N on the floor right away and began performing CPR. 15 compressions. 2 rescue breaths. 15 compressions. 2 rescue breaths. But the light did not return to Subject N's eyes.

...It's hopeless.

Ukita muttered.

She's already dead...

--Indeed. Subject N was dead. Anyone could clearly see that. Yet the rescue workers did not give up. 15 compressions. 2 rescue breaths. 15 compressions. 2 rescue breaths. Ukita called out to them one more time.

You guys couldn't save her...

And then--

...And neither could I.

Color rapidly faded from Ukita's world the moment he accepted that fact.

(That's right... I couldn't save her... I'm sorry... I'm so sorry... I'm so sorry... I'm so sorry... It's my fault... I killed you... If I hadn't deluded myself with thoughts of saving you...)

(D-did I... mess up!? Did I not repair his memories enough!?)

But Natsuhiko continued to view the memory, having no way of confirming his failure.

The upcoming dialogue is all just marked as ''Ukita'' saying it. I tried my best to separate the two internal voices here - Ukita's not as nice as Watase, who had the malice voice as thoughts and his regular voice as speech.

(No-- at the end of the day, is that really true? Was it really your fault she died?)
(... What do you mean? If it wasn't my fault, then who else could it have been?)
(Are you listening to yourself? Don't you see the suspicious people right there with you?)
(...?)

(But aren't Dojima and Hiyama already dead?)
(Precisely. That would mean Captain Kasasagi is the one who conspired to ruin everything.)
(...! But he has amnesia...)
(Even if he did get amnesia, he could have killed Subject N before that happened, right?)
(... I see... and there's one other suspicious person, isn't there?)

(That's right... both Captain Kasasagi and Ena Tsubakiyama are suspicious.)
(And there's one other person... Yes, the one who's looking at me right now--)

Just then-- Natsuhiko's consciousness was wrapped up in an intense floral scent.

When he came to his senses, he was outside LABO.

W-where am I...?

When he finished muttering that-- a voice called out from behind.

???: This is both when and where the seeds of justice first bloomed within me.
!

Subject N...!
No, that is incorrect. I am not Subject N. On the other hand, nor am I Keiji Ukita proper.

She was talking much differently that the ''spirit'' of Subject N that Natsuhiko had encountered in Watase's head. Much like how that spirit's speech and personality had been strongly influenced by Watase, this one had most likely been influenced by Ukita. Natsuhiko talked back to her as he thought that.

Then what are you? Malice incarnate?
Malice incarnate? Now that's a fine thing to say... And here I thought I had your sympathy.
Wha-- you think I sympathize with you!?
Don't deny it. You should have come to understand several things from watching Ukita's memories. Like his justice, and how he risked his life to save the test subjects. But what was his reward for his efforts? ...Right, it was the death of the girl he wanted to save. But how did it end up that way? ...Right, it was a traitor's doing. Then who was that traitor? Who was it that betrayed my desire for there to not be any victims?

Captain Kasasagi betrayed Ukita. So I gave Ukita a little nudge, and then he decided to kill him. All in accordance with our justice.
H... how the hell is that justice...!?

Natsuhiko glared at her in defiance of the proclamation she had just turned at him.

You just possessed Mr. Ukita's mind and used his sense of justice as bait to foster malice in him! Isn't that right!?
Malice, hmm? What malice might you be referring to? We-- Ukita and I just wanted to save the test subjects. That's all. Captain Kasasagi must be eliminated for that purpose. Without his termination, the other test subject... 'Subject Y-II', that is-- will most likely never escape.
...!

She was right-- if he kept leaving Watase to his own devices, he'd eventually take Yuuri away.

(I can't accept that! But...!)

You feel guilty about the idea, don't you?
...Yeah.
I understand the sentiment. However-- consider what is truly precious to you. Caring for Captain Kasasagi essentially equates to ignoring Subject Y-II. Are you all right with that?

Natsuhiko's worries grew stronger with that question.

(Yet... if I still care about Watase after all that... Wouldn't that equate to betraying Yuuri...!?)

But he didn't know what. Subject N pressed on.

...There are times where one must harden one's heart to protect the people one holds dear. Both Ukita and I share in that thought-- but what about you?
I... I...!
Answer me. What is it that you want to do?
I--!

But right before Natsuhiko could answer that question, Yuuri's voice echoed in his head.

Y-Yuuri...!

Natsuhiko then turned his questions to her.

...Why not? She hit the nail right on the head, don't you think...?
{Huh...!?}
As things stand now, you won't be free even if you escape LABO, right? Watase will take you away and bring you to Q... You'll probably be faced with all sorts of danger when that happens. What's more, you can't go home either, naturally. So let me ask you again: are you really okay with that?
{...}
...Of course you're not. You want to be free and go home with me, right?
{... Yes.}
I'll do whatever it takes to make that happen. I'll do anything for you. So-- please don't stop me from what I'm about to do. Okay...?

When she heard that, Yuuri-- Finally answered after a long silence.

{... You're... right... You're right, Hikorin. I've been wrong this whole time... I thought I would be okay with whatever misery I faced so long as everyone else was happy... But... that was all a total lie... I've actually wanted to be just as happy as anyone else all these years. Yet I...!}
It's okay, I understand. So to protect your happiness-- I'm going to fight Watase. Just like Mr. Ukita did.
{... Thank you, Hikorin.}

...Subject N... I'm sorry. You're exactly right.
I see... So you finally understand?

She smiled happily after she said that.

Then return to the real world. You're the one with a body, so it's your job to take care of the 'problem'.
Yeah...
I'm counting on you. Carry out your justice.

Natsuhiko cut off his Senses Sympathy link to Ukita.

Watase was staring at Natsuhiko and Yuuri with a firm expression on his face. It had already been over three minutes since the two of them had begun repairing Ukita's memories. But neither of them showed any signs of waking up.

(Are they okay...?)

Watase grew more and more nervous the more he watched the two of them standing there like statues, not budging an inch. But at that moment--

The three of them woke up at the same time as if it were a synchronized routine.

...I-is it over?

Watase asked Natsuhiko that question. But the boy didn't answer. He just stared hard at Watase's face.

H-hey... something wrong?

Yuuri then spoke up in a faint voice shortly afterwards.

...I'm sorry, Captain Kasasagi. When it comes down to it, I just don't want to go with you.
Wh-what!?
Sorry, Captain Kasasagi. I won't hand Yuuri over to you. That's the way it is.
...! N-Natsuhiko... what's the meaning of this!?

He trembled as he asked his question. When he did, Natsuhiko stood up and grabbed Watase by the wrist.

A shiver ran down Watase's spine at that moment. He noticed that everyone else's eyes were filled with a sinister light.

I-it can't be... Have you guys all been infected by malice!?
Disappear, Watase. For good this time.
S-STOOOOOP!!

But right as he shouted that--

--all the memories that molded Watase's personality were annihilated.

♪ BGM: Static ♫

Natsuhiko, Yuuri, and Ukita all looked down on the now-unconscious Watase. Natsuhiko quietly snatched the gun out of Watase's pocket a few seconds later. He then aimed straight for Watase's head--

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Well, that was interesting. I'm not sure if it's just that thy didn't put in the work, or something, but I like Natsuhiko's face. Everyone else, when they're on malice, has an evil face that loses it's impact after the first time due to it's exaggeration, but Natsuhiko's smirk just works.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

OddHaberdasher posted:

Well, that was interesting. I'm not sure if it's just that thy didn't put in the work, or something, but I like Natsuhiko's face. Everyone else, when they're on malice, has an evil face that loses it's impact after the first time due to it's exaggeration, but Natsuhiko's smirk just works.

I don't really recall ever seeing that expression on his face anywhere else in the VN, for what that's worth. I'm pretty sure that is his malice-expression.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I really wish I found a way to dig into the game files and get all the images out of it just so I could see all the different sprites and see if there actually is a malice face for Yuuri, for instance. That, and so I could get a shot of Watase that included the top of his head.

Seriously - because I'm creatively bankrupt, I've been going through the Shadowrun games with custom portraits primarily based on characters from this game (I think I posted a shot of the mage ''N'' in this thread at some point). I wanted to make the close combat character Watase, but going through all the screenshots I took, I couldn't find a single one that included his head in full, they all cut off at the top because he's so god drat big compared to everybody else. I just ended up going with Salyu instead.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

TheMcD posted:

Seriously - because I'm creatively bankrupt, I've been going through the Shadowrun games with custom portraits primarily based on characters from this game (I think I posted a shot of the mage ''N'' in this thread at some point). I wanted to make the close combat character Watase, but going through all the screenshots I took, I couldn't find a single one that included his head in full, they all cut off at the top because he's so god drat big compared to everybody else. I just ended up going with Salyu instead.

His head being cut off can be a sign that he's a giant. Give him those bonuses of towering over every other character!

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

TheMcD posted:

I really wish I found a way to dig into the game files and get all the images out of it just so I could see all the different sprites and see if there actually is a malice face for Yuuri, for instance. That, and so I could get a shot of Watase that included the top of his head.

I did a quick search and found an unpacker that'll work for Root Double. I'm currently running it and should be able to provide anything you want soon if you don't want to go through the effort of installing all the relevant dependencies and compiling the tool.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

Cyouni posted:

I don't really recall ever seeing that expression on his face anywhere else in the VN, for what that's worth. I'm pretty sure that is his malice-expression.

What I mean is, every one else has got pinprick eyes, inexplicable shadows and (in Watase's case) a pose for their malice face, whereas Natsuhiko has a perfectly normal face except for the fact that the smirk does not sit rightly on his face. Natsuhiko is not a smirker. That just clicks with me.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That was a fantastic bad end, goddamn.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Cyouni posted:

I did a quick search and found an unpacker that'll work for Root Double. I'm currently running it and should be able to provide anything you want soon if you don't want to go through the effort of installing all the relevant dependencies and compiling the tool.

I think I actually worked it out myself. I actually had that unpacker before, but I think I just forgot to use the correct command line parameter. At least right now, I'm getting a folder filled with PNG files, and I have WAV files for the sound, which I think I can work with. I'll need to fumble around a bit with the .WAVLOOP files to create some decent loops that I can use to make a copy of the OST for myself, but nothing major.

Man, I really should have figured this out earlier. I could have used a file to make a dialogue image for maliced Watase, but it's too late (read: I'm too lazy) to go back and fix it now. And it has all the CGs in it too, which makes creating those gallery posts a lot easier. This is great.

This is me right now:

SSNeoman posted:

That was a fantastic bad end, goddamn.

Yeah, endings like that are the reason why Subject N is my favorite character in the game.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Born to Run: 03/30/2021, 11:43

So that was the different things we could see surrounding Ukita's RAM segment. Now, it's time to move on to Jun's. What happens when we decide we don't want to give Jun a deep mind probe?

(Just how much in detail should I look...? I get the feeling it'd be best if I didn't trespass too far in, but...)

Natsuhiko pondered. Did he want a detailed understanding of Jun's deepest depths or not? A detailed understanding would probably be conducive to more accurate memory repair, but still--

(... No, this isn't the time to be taking detours. There's still the matter with Prof. Tsubakiyama to deal with, anyway...)

Natsuhiko decided to prioritize finishing memory repair as quickly as possible.

...Jun, please don't move.
Huh? What're you trying to pull?
It'll all be over soon...!

As Jun's body stiffened, Natsuhiko and Yuuri stepped up to her. And activated Senses Sympathy.

He saw scenes comprising Jun's entire life appear and disappear. --Everything had changed one day nine years ago--

♪ BGM: Loyalist / Theme of Tachibana

Oh, I know, how 'bout we play house?

Nagisa, who was five years younger than Jun, was like a little sister to her. Not long after they started playing, Kazami walked over.

Jun. I'm so sorry you had to watch over Nagisa for me.
Oh, Kazami. Nah, it's cool, I was having fun too.

--Kazami had yet to become a rescue worker at the time. She was just a calm and kind older sister who worked at a flower shop.

The three of them got along extremely well... almost like Jun was one of their sisters too. Though she wasn't related to them in any way, they were still closer than family. She wished they could all stay that way forever--

♪ BGM: Memento Mori

One day, when Jun went over to Kazami and Nagisa's apartment to visit--

Kazami was still at work at the time, so only Jun and Nagisa were caught up in the accident.

But Nagisa had suffered a serious head injury as a result of the accident, and passed away...

Buddhist Priest: there are no forms and no feelings, conceptions, impulses and no consciousness: there is no eye, ear, nose, tongue, body or mind; there is no form, sound, smell, taste, touch or idea--...

On the day of Nagisa's funeral-- Jun just stood there in a daze as she listened to the priest chant his sutras.

(Nagisa's... dead... The tears... just won't come...)

She still couldn't believe that Nagisa had died. But Kazami's sorrow was far greater than Jun's.

Nagisa...

Kazami was staring at Nagisa's casket with empty eyes. Naturally, Nagisa didn't respond. Jun felt her heart wrench as she watched Kazami... --Nagisa's death changed Kazami and Jun's lives forever. Kazami cursed her own powerlessness for failing to save her sister-- And so to atone for that, she quit her job at the flower shop and worked to become a rescue worker. She probably wished to save others' lives in place of the deceased sister she felt she had failed to save. Jun understood how Kazami felt, but it still worried her.

(Sis has this slightly fragile side to her... I've gotta watch over her.)

It wasn't long before Jun acted on those feelings, following in Kazami's footsteps by becoming a rescue worker as well.

She then easily completed several dispatches, waiting for the opportunity to truly shine. It wasn't long before that opportunity came knocking. --September 16, early morning.

♪ BGM: Looming Crisis

''Explosions of unknown origin have occurred in the 6th Laboratory of Atomic and Biological Organization.'' And with that ominous report-- the curtain rose on the longest day of Jun's life.

Captain! All members of Team A present and accounted for!
Excellent. Listen up, people! Countless people are trapped in this lab as we speak! And due to the nature of this facility, this will be no ordinary dispatch. We don't know what will happen here, nor what unforeseen circumstances await us.

Jun gulped behind her faceplate.

(Unforeseen circumstances...!)

Radiation exposure, radiation damage, and death-- those phrases all clouded her head.

(If our cold as ever Captain is the one saying this... then this dispatch must really be serious.)

Jun braced herself as she thought that-- But unforeseen problems far beyond her wildest dreams kept happening one after another.

--Despite that, the two rescue workers combined their efforts to look for survivors and an escape route. But they weren't able to find either. And just as they were about to finish searching Areas 2 and 1--

Is that the Captain!?

They found Watase lying in a hallway in Area 1. The three rescue workers then began their long and arduous battle through the facility...

A floral scent suddenly wafted in from somewhere.

(The floral scent...! The memories after this point were tampered with!)
{Ms. Jun should go back to normal if you repair those memories!}
(Yeah!)

Natsuhiko agreed, resuming memory access. His search criterion was-- ''floral-scented memories''.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

The Dark Side of the Moon: A: 09/16/2030, 09:30 - N-ified

So now, let's see what Subject N did to Jun's memories by doing the opposite of the right thing on the Senses inputs.

It's true that -we- can't destroy it with our equipment-- but the workers on the surface should have explosives with them. So it's only a matter of time before that bulkhead is destroyed and reinforcements come. So please try to understand for now.
...I see, then I guess there's nothing you can do about it.

The woman let out an exasperated sigh.

Huh?
How about being a little more thankful we saved you?
Oh my, whatever do you mean? Isn't saving lives what we pay you people for? It's only a given that you're supposed to save people on the job.

Jun was speechless. There were many who thanked them for their efforts. But for rescue workers, that gratitude was the greatest reward they received for their hard and arduous work.

(Maybe I am being a bit full of myself for expecting a reward... But she's going too far!)

Jun was hurt by the woman's thoughtless words-- and also felt extremely resentful towards them.

(... Was Prof. Tsubakiyama always this nasty from Jun's perspective? I guess I have to increase her positive feelings towards Prof. Tsubakiyama or it won't work...)

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

The Dark Side of the Moon: B: 09/16/2030, 09:54 - N-ified

Yet someone disrupted that teamwork.

And that someone was none other than Ena. Jun had called the search to a halt when she'd spotted smoke filling the outer ring, only to get another earful from Ena.

You're a civilian! What right do you have to get so high-and-mighty!?
I may be a civilian, but you're just a rookie, right? That's not much better.
Not much better? Don't give me that bullshit! Do you know how hard I had to work just to join Sirius!? A woman like you would never understand just how drat difficult it is to pass the rescue worker exam!
Of course I wouldn't. Or rather, I don't want to. After all, I could never understand the feelings of a woman trying to do a man's job.
Huh...?
If you were a man, then at least I wouldn't be bumping heads with you so much, you know. But you're telling me I have to entrust my life to a woman, and a rookie rescue worker at that, in this kind of situation...? Things sure aren't looking up. Why's a woman like you even trying to be a rescue worker?
...!

Jun heard her heart pound violently at those words. Ever since Nagisa's death, Jun had dedicated herself solely to being a rescue worker, not once looking back on her decision. And she had finally achieved that dream after impressing her peers with all the hard training and work she had endured.

(Now that she mentions it... maybe it wasn't exactly what you'd call a healthy way of living... But still...)

Unpleasant emotions welled up in her chest. But right as she was about to say all of what was on her mind--

Moribe, what's all this commotion about!?

Watase, Kazami, and Yuuri came running over. --Thanks to that, she avoided getting into a rather decisive quarrel with Ena-- But a silent resentment for Ena began to wrap its way around Jun's mind.

(It feels like Jun's confidence took a bit of a blow there... I have to adjust her feelings to put things back to the way they were!)

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

The Dark Side of the Moon: C: 09/16/2030, 10:13 - N-ified

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 1

...But we can't relax.

Watase glanced at his Procyon and said that.

Look, it's '3090 mSv' right now... Seems like it won't be long until it passes the first danger standard of '4000 mSv'.
I hope Mr. Tenkawa and the others have some AD, but...!

Oh yeah, that's right, you said you were acquainted with those high schoolers, right?
Yeah, though we only talked, like, twice or so...
So they're basically strangers then.
But that doesn't mean I'm not worried about them.
I see... that's probably because you're not that much older than they are. You're nice, Moribe.
Huh...? Wh-what are you talking about? It's only natural for a rescue worker.
But it's still pretty impressive. You're amazing. Hell of a lot more capable than I am.
Y-you think so...?
Of course. Maybe this isn't something a superior should be saying, but--

♪ BGM: Foolishness

WHA...!? Sorry, Captain! What'd you just say!?
Huh? Uh, I said I like people like you, that's all...
You 'light' me?
I said -like-! How many times you gonna make me say it!?

Jun's heart felt like it jumped out of her chest. She did her best to conceal that and talked back to Watase.

Ha, hahah, boy, it sure is nice to see even you can make a joke every now and then.
I'm not kidding. I'm totally serious.
Huh...?
I'm not just talking about your personality and skills. I like your face too. Same goes for your foul mouth. And your small chest. I like everything about you, basically.
Wha... what the hell are you even saying, Captain!?
Hmm? Did I say something weird? You're cute. I'm sure I could've said that better if we weren't in this situation, though.
J-just stop it, please!

Jun was getting a little scared.

Ena was also like a statue. Yuuri was dead. Ukita had vanished. Her surroundings also looked somewhat distorted. Watase looked at Jun and spoke with a smile.

Don't be scared, Jun. I guess you're not used to anyone coming on to you so bluntly, huh? But you can't shut me out. It's useless. I can see right through you. You act so rough because you're trying to hide the complex you keep hidden beneath that skin, right?
Aah, aah...
That part of you is so cute. I want to tame you. I'll start by tearing off that uniform of yours right now--

When Jun screamed that-- Her distorted surroundings returned to normal.

!?

When Jun came to her senses, everyone was staring at her dumbfoundedly.

H~hey, what was that about? Why'd you just scream 'stop' like that out of nowhere?
Did someone say anything strange?
Ah, n-no... it's nothing. Sorry, what were we talking about?
The AD, remember? I can't believe you were spacing out when we were having such a serious discussion... You sure you're okay?
A-ahahah, sorry guys. It's nothing.

Though Jun did her best to smooth things over-- Her heart was pounding like a jackhammer.

(Wh-what the everloving hell was that...? Was I daydreaming...? Did I start spacing out 'cause I'm so tired...? No, there's no way the Captain would ever come on to me that way, not even in a dream... No way, it can't be... Was that my deepest desire...!?)

Jun forced herself to switch trains of thought at that point.

(No, no! Hell no! Not in a million years! I can't let myself get hung up over some messed up dream! I'm here to save lives. That's all I should be focusing on for now...!)

(... Uh... I... I've got nothing... This whole thing's been altered so much that I'm not really sure where I should even begin repairing. Er, if I remember correctly, what actually happened... was that Jun apologized to Watase, and then made up with Prof. Tsubakiyama-- So should I try to adjust her emotions by taking that into account...?)

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I've got some more chapters ready to post, but I think I'll just let that last scene sink in a bit.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
drat, N! That was just messed up. Oh, huh. Wonder why N went rather easy on altering Jun's memories.

(Nagisaaaaaaa)

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I love that Natsuhiko managed to gently caress up the memory even worse than N did.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

The Dark Side of the Moon: D: 09/16/2030, 11:31 - N-ified

I know. But you have to hold your head high. You discarded your womanhood when you joined Sirius. Remember that.
But... Sis...!

Jun said that in a frail voice like that of a normal girl.

(Why is everyone around me dying...!?)

Hang in there, Jun.
Huh...?

Before she even realized what was happening, Watase had wrapped his arms around her. That completely unexpected embrace left Jun at a loss for words.

C-Captain, what're you doing!?
Don't worry about that. Just listen to me. I know it must be hard for you to have lost two squadmates. I don't even have memories, and it's hard on me too. I know you're scared. No matter what, you're still a girl. And you might think I'm being harsh when I say this, but... Now's not the time to cry.
...!
Do that and you could lose your life too. I don't want any more of that... I'll be damned if I lost you too. So hold yourself together.
B-but...

Watase then whispered into Jun's ear.

Please, Jun. You could be in danger here too if you don't pull yourself together.
Huh?

Ah...!
Tachibana will probably just shoot the idea down again if we talk about it in front of her... But there could very well be a killer wandering around this facility. If we don't protect ourselves from that son of a bitch, we'll be next...!
G... got it!

Jun replied with as much courage as she could muster. Watase then answered her in a kind voice.

There, that's a good girl.
B-but if we ever come across the killer... what're we gonna do then?
That'll depend on the situation... but I'll probably knock him the hell out.
But you're a rescue worker... Are you really gonna resort to violence...?
You dummy, we don't have the luxury to worry about that. We're up against a killer here, you know? If I have to use force to protect all of you, then I won't hesitate to do so.
I see... so it's to protect us all...
But that's a man's job. If you ever come across the guy, run.
...Okay.

Watase then let go of Jun. She then thought to herself while feeling the lingering sensation of his whispers in her ears and the warmth of his arms.

(I dunno if that killer is still here in this facility... But if I ever find them-- then do I have to fight to protect everyone...!?)

--Her job as a rescue worker was to protect lives. Perhaps she needed to get her hands dirty to accomplish that job. After all, two of her squadmates had already been killed.

(... No, I shouldn't think about that yet. Not until I'm sure that there's actually a killer here...)

Jun then changed tracks to thinking about something else-- But a pitch black will had begun to manifest in the depths of her heart.

(... Kind of a subtle alteration this time around. Should I adjust things so her feelings are more in tune with those of a rescue worker...?)

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Bohemian Rhapsody: 09/16/2030, 12:15

Now, what happens when we confront Subject N with only a partial knowledge of Jun's memories?

and finally, when she watched them force open the gate to the cargo lift with a crane.

(Yes, this is it... this is where that memory is...!)

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 2

Yeah, we're counting on you.
Yep, just leave it to me--

Jun went through the opening in high spirits. But on the other side of the gate--

...all they'd found there was the unidentified body of a girl.

(This is when Jun was infected with malice...! Then shouldn't that girl be showing up any second now!? A remnant of Subject N's spirit must be here!)

Natsuhiko spoke to the corpse.

Now come on out... I'll erase your malice from Jun!

When Natsuhiko shouted that--

???: --You come to kill me?

Subject N answered.

(...!)

Natsuhiko looked back at her, then replied.

...No, not to kill. I'm just repairing these memories back to their original state.
Wrong. What you're doing sure as hell ain't repairing, bro. And what the hell do you mean by their 'original state' anyway? Aren't you just deluding yourself to believe that? You're just distorting these memories and rebuilding them as you see fit... If that's your idea of repairing, then that's hilarious.
...Well, maybe it's exactly as you say. But if I leave you alone, people will really die. I'm not talking about this mental world here. I mean the real world. I can't just let that slide. Not a chance.
But my body is long dead. And you erased the traces of myself that I left in Jun's memories. You're annihilating me. No matter how you try to sugarcoat it, in the end, it's still murder.
Jun just can't be herself as long as you're still in her mind.
Oh? You talk as if I'm some sort of evil spirit. Are you saying I'm possessing Jun?
It's not exactly what you'd call possession... But you used BC on Jun. BC isn't just the power to convey words and memories to others-- but 'feelings' too. Things that can't be expressed in words, memories that can't be imagined-- and your vast malice. All of those feelings are now in Jun's brain as information energy... And once she took them in, Jun ceased to be her normal self.
'Jun's normal self? The hell is that? What do you know about Jun?
I know her. I grew connected to Jun through her and Watase's memories. Jun is normally cheerful, strong, and full of a sense of justice... I have to bring her back to normal.

Natsuhiko stared at Subject N and spoke.

If erasing you is the same thing as killing you... Then I'll stain my hands with that sin as many times as needed.

I see... so this is a battle to the death between you and me, huh? Who'll be quicker to the draw-- me with my destruction of your mind, or you with your erasure of me? Only one way to find out!

Malice descended upon Natsuhiko like a gale with that shout.

It was full of the many negative feelings in Jun's mind.

An ugly mind composed of indignation and jealousy.

All of that had been amplified to the nth power and was worming its way into Natsuhiko's mind.

(Khh...!)

Natsuhiko faltered for a moment. However-- Yuuri's voice soon echoed in his head.

{Your mind will never break as long as I'm here with you! You should be able to beat the malice!}
(Y-yeah!)

Those words gave Natsuhiko's mind the strength it needed. Natsuhiko focused with all his spirit-- And desired for Subject N's erasure from the bottom of his heart.

He felt like he heard Subject N scream at that moment.

(D... did I do it?)

He realized how clear it felt, now that the vast malice controlling Jun's heart had vanished.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Killer Queen: 09/16/2030, 12:15

And finally, what happens when we screw up Jun's memory repair?

and finally, when she watched them force open the gate to the cargo lift with a crane.

(Yes, this is it... this is where that memory is...!)

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 2

Yeah, we're counting on you.
Yep, just leave it to me--

Jun went through the opening in high spirits. But on the other side of the gate--

...all they'd found there was the unidentified body of a girl.

And then--

He suddenly realized he was standing in some unfamiliar place. He appeared to be in the crumbling corridor of an apartment complex.

Why am I suddenly in a place like this...?

Once he muttered that, he heard a voice in front of him.

???: Well, that's 'cause this here's a place of Jun's origin-- in a certain sense.
!!

You... What... what the hell is this!? What do you mean 'a place of Jun's origin'!?
See, this is where Jun lost someone precious to her nine years back.

She failed to save the girl who was like a little sister to her...
It hurt Jun like a bitch after that. Like, can you even begin to imagine? She kept mulling over this same thought: 'I failed to save her 'cause I was so weak. So I gotta get stronger.' Jun's a cute little thing like that, ain't she...? That's why I learned her a thing or two. 'Today's dispatch is messed up.' 'Step up your game, or everyone's good as dead.' 'Gotta protect everyone even if it means killing anyone suspicious.' Y'know, basic stuff.
Wha...!? Are you saying that's what made Jun go mad like that!?
Could you please not say it like it's my fault, bro? I basically just gave Jun the fuel she wanted.
Shut up! Jun's not that kind of person!
Seriously? You really think so? 'The hell do you know about Jun?
The hell do I know...?
You've seen all of Jun's memories, yeah? Well, whaddya think? Was Jun exactly how you'd pictured her?
There ain't no telling what lies behind the masks people wear. Life or death situations really bring out the ugly side of people. Anything I'm saying here ringing any bells...?

--Her words caused Natsuhiko to realize something.

(I'm not one to talk either, am I...!?)

(And I was planning on erasing him once I got out of here too...!)

The recording for this scene came from the same playthrough where I made the ''wrong'' choice in ''Partner''. I assume this line just wouldn't be there if I hadn't made that choice.

I-it's not like I wanted to! I had no other choice--
No other choice... but to do what?
To try... to kill Watase...
To protect someone, right?
R-right. But that's only because there was no other way...
Nah, it's totally fine, bro. When you're left with no other option, you just gotta do what you gotta do, am I right? I mean, how else you gonna protect the people you gotta protect?

Natsuhiko gulped at those words.

(She's right... Once you lose the ones precious to you, it's too late to do anything about it...!)

Once that thought crossed Natsuhiko's mind, he heard Yuuri's voice.

!!? Wh-what is!?
{Can't you feel it!? She's gradually corroding your thoughts! It looks like N's malice is too strong! Our memory repairs weren't enough!}
...!
{I don't know if it'll work, but erase that girl immediately!}
G-got it!

I-I've had enough of your chatter! I'll erase you right now!
Oh? A little late to start rushing things, don't you think? Well, whatever. If you say so--

She said that to Natsuhiko with a glare.

Even the scenery around them seemed to warp.

Who'll be quicker to the draw-- me with my destruction of your mind, or you with your erasure of me? Only one way to find out!

(!!)

Malice descended upon Natsuhiko like a gale with that shout.

--It was full of the many negative feelings in Jun's mind. An ugly mind composed of indignation and jealousy. All of that had been amplified to the nth power and was worming its way into Natsuhiko's mind.

(Kgh, ugh, gh...!)

Natsuhiko could feel the malice seeping into his own mind.

The pitch black emotions began to rule his very spirit.

(Y-Yuuri! I can't make it! Help!)

Natsuhiko sought Yuuri's help, but--

{The malice is even infecting me too...!}
(Wh-what!?)
{H-Hikorin... we can't win... at this rate...! Let's return to reality for now before the malice consumes us!}
(Y-yeah!)

--But the moment they returned to reality--

Agh!

Natsuhiko had no time to stop her.

Jun switched on the engine cutter--

And slashed Natsuhiko diagonally from his shoulder down to his chest.

Natsuhiko screamed at the pain that came a second late.

(It hurts! It hurts! It hurts! It hurts!)

That was all he could manage to think. His thoughts were seeped in pain. His concentration failed. The intense pain drove away even his consciousness--...

???: Die!
???: Uwah! Gh-gyyahhhhh--!
???: Wha-- S-stop!
???: Ughh... wh-why you!
???: Kh... ah... gh...
???: Ugh... gh... That's right...! Sis... I gotta go... to where Sis is...

--Natsuhiko fainted as he heard those voices. ...An unknown amount of time passed. Eventually, Natsuhiko woke up.

Y-Yuuri...?

Yuuri was absentmindedly treating the wound on Natsuhiko's chest. He sat himself up, and then-- --he became speechless at the sight around him.

Ukita and Ena were on the ground. Blood was oozing out of Ukita's chest and Ena's neck. The intense stench of blood spelled their deaths.

Yuuri, what happened...!?
Ms. Jun... she...

So it really was Jun's doing. Natsuhiko had guessed as much judging from the voices he had heard. But she wasn't in the room. The only other sign she'd been there was a trail of trickled blood on the floor that led outside the room...

D-did she... spare us...?
...Yeah, probably...

Natsuhiko was wounded, but Yuuri was uninjured. Mashiro was still asleep on the bed. Yuuri looked at the bodies and murmured.

Ms. Jun might have a little bit of reason left in her, but... But this is... just too much...!

Those words gouged Natsuhiko's heart.

(It's my fault... It's because I didn't erase Subject N properly...)

He happened to catch sight of a single gun lying on the floor. It was the gun Watase had left for Ukita. It appeared that at the last minute, Ukita hesitated to shoot Jun, and she killed him.

(So that's it... It's all just as she said... ''When you're left with no other option, you have to kill.'' ''Or else you can't protect those precious to you''... That's why Jun killed them... So this time, it's my turn...)

Huh... H-Hikorin!?

Yuuri panicked and peered into Natsuhiko's face.

Hikorin! Hikorin!

He tried to answer, but couldn't use his voice. His vision was quickly growing dark.

♪ BGM: Static ♫

(Dammit... I've lost too much blood... No... I can't die here... I can't die here and leave Yuuri and the others behind...!)

But eventually, even that emotion-- --was engulfed by the pressing darkness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Work Song: 04/05/2028, 07:50

Alright, so that covers Jun's segment. With Ena, we didn't have any malice repairs to do, so going in for a more superficial mind probe shouldn't seem too bad, but still, just like with the others, not going in full prevents you from getting the best ending.

For now, what he needed to confirm was ''Ena's true identity'' and ''what motivated her to mobilize in LABO today''. As well as ''whether or not she was infected with malice''.

(Should I look in detail, or just do a quick check...? I get the feeling I should just do a quick check, but... Well, there's only a low probability of malice infection... so yeah, let's just do a quick check.)

Natsuhiko focused on Ena and answered.

...Okay. Allow me to just make a quick check.
That's fine. It's better to have safety nets rather than rely on unconditional trust alone.

And as Ena said that with a smile, the kids walked up to her-- --and activated Senses Sympathy.

He found a record of Ena's ''true identity''. But what he saw... was beyond Natsuhiko's expectations.

♪ BGM: Anxious Times of Rokumei City

Ena saw Communicators as ''existences that should be protected'', and thus she strove for a career where she could protect them herself. And after she graduated, she entered a certain organization within the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT): The ''ESP Bureau''. Founded in April 2014, the organization was single-handedly responsible for the administration of BC-related activities.

I am Ena Tsubakiyama, newly assigned here today. Pleasure to work with you.
Kuroda: I'm Kuroda, chief of Communicator Commission Division 1.
Higa: And I'm Commissioner Higa of the same division.
Kuroda: Well, no need to be so stiff. We may be teased as a sort of 'BC police', but we're not actual police, obviously. So relax.
Yes, thank you, sir.

Despite her words, Ena didn't relax her posture at all. The man named Kuroda smiled wryly to see that as he spoke up to her.

Kuroda: --Well, okay then, how about we change the topic? I'm sure you're aware of this, but we are in charge of various administrative duties regarding BC-related activities. Our work is quite extensive, ranging from Communicator protection, management, and observation, all the way to the exposure of BC-related crimes. Our staff consists of people transfered from not only MEXT, but also the Police Agency, Public Security, and the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare. Anyway, at best we're a team of experts, and at worst, we're a ragtag gang of misfits.

--Kuroda spoke of how the situation surrounding Communicators had grown more tense over the years, far outgrowing what the MEXT alone could handle. He spoke of the increase in BC-related crimes. The secret maneuvers of anti-Communicator terrorist organizations. And finally-- the dangers of Communicators that the national government had been kept secret up until then. Kuroda told Ena the truth surrounding the Great Rokumei City Arson. How a certain Communicator had become a lump of malice and used BC to spread that malice all throughout the city... Throughout the explanation, Ena heard words she had never heard before, like ''Senses Sympathy'' and ''N-ification''. Kuroda continued as Ena listened on in astonishment.

Kuroda: --You must not bring to light any of the truths you learn through this work. You must commit everything to memory, mask your true character, and still come in contact with Communicators.
Kuroda: You never know when or if the one you're protecting will become a monster. Protection and surveillance are two sides of the same coin. If you want to protect Communicators, then you must never let your guard down around them. Keep your distance. Observe them calmly. It's a tough job... but can you do it, 'Commissioner Ena Tsubakiyama'?

Ena smiled at those words.

Tough? Preposterous. It's a job worth doing.

And thus, Ena became a government official in charge of Communicator management and protection-- A ''Communicator commissioner''.

The commissioners were government officials of the MEXT in name only, for they were closer in function to a police or public safety department. To protect herself, she had to take lessons in marksmanship and self defense. In 2029, they exposed researchers guilty of illegal Communicator confinement and experimentation. --But there were also times when Communicators were the victimizers rather than the victims. Criminals found uses for BC abilities. Empathy, for example, could be used in industrial espionage to gain corporate trade secrets. ''Protection and surveillance are two sides of the same coin''... Communicators were to be both protected and put under surveillance. Ena trained her body, and at the same time-- she steeled her stoic heart.

(The thought that ''Communicators have to be protected'' is too short-sighted and dangerous... I mustn't let my guard down. They're a different breed from us with their own unique abilities...)

Eventually, it became a natural habit of Ena's to close her heart towards Communicators. --But then one day, Kuroda assigned Ena with a new duty.

Kuroda: Yes. Well, to be more accurate, you'll be stationed at a BC specialty school as a commissioner to protect and observe the Communicators. I know it's hard, but don't forget that at the core, we're part of the Ministration of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology. Considering the Education part, it shouldn't be odd to teach, should it?
B-but... I've never even imagined taking on such an assignment...
Kuroda: No, you actually need this sort of experience right now. Since your heart's been hardened considerably these past two years, you see.
...?
Kuroda: Well, you'll understand as soon as you take up the assignment. Go interact with some pure-hearted children and soothe that heart of yours.

--And thus, on her third year in the bureau, Ena reached a turning point as a commissioner.

The BC specialty school established in Ena's hometown.

(Starting today, I'm going to be playing teacher...? I know it's for work, but it's such a pain...)

Ena shook her head in frustration as she headed for the school building. She closed her heart as always and masked her true character from those around her.

♪ BGM: Quiet Days of Rokumei City

The students were all obedient and adored Ena. As she came in contact with her students, Mashiro and Natsuhiko especially, Ena's frozen heart gradually thawed.

(... These kids are innocent, aren't they? I need to protect these kids at the very least...)

Just as Kuroda had said, living as a teacher had gradually restored Ena's original intentions.

♪ BGM: Anxious Times of Rokumei City

There were several suspicious points about the state of LABO's management that provoked Ena's intuition as a commissioner. She spent her days off conducting her own investigation. Eventually, a dreadful doubt welled up within her.

(There's a possibility... that LABO's conducting human experimentation to enhance their results?)

As her investigation progressed, that doubt gradually became conviction.

Yes.

Ena gathered evidence and proposed a compulsory inspection of LABO to Kuroda and Higa. And unexpectedly, Kuroda answered thusly:

Kuroda: Higa and I have already suspected that LABO and Rokumei City are up to no good. But even if we requested a compulsory inspection, the higher ups wouldn't approve it.
Why!? Are we not a national agency!?
Kuroda: What I'm thinking... is that even the top brass here at the ESP Bureau have probably fallen to LABO's side. Perhaps by bribery or by blackmail.

Those words enraged Ena. They were the only ones who could expose LABO's crimes, and yet--

Chief Kuroda. Commissioner Higa. Do you feel nothing? It is our duty to protect Communicators, is it not?

Ena drew closer to Kuroda and Higa. And then, as if they had been waiting to hear those words from her, they spoke:

Kuroda: ...We don't need no stinkin' permission. Let's make that compulsory inspection.
Higa: With which members?
Kuroda: Well, we don't know who's in the pockets of the Rokumei City government. So let's just go with the three of us. It's a dangerous mission, though, so you don't have to come with us if you don't want to, you know, little missy...?
No. I'll go with you.

Their prepared provisions included a forged inspection warrant-- and a single handgun for Ena's self-defense only.

Kuroda: LABO is a den of demons. We don't know what's waiting for us in there. If worse comes to worst, you need to be prepared to use this.

And with those words, Ena steeled her heart.

Ena got split up from her superiors and was unable to escape... She was forced to stand up against the terrorists on her own, knowing that anybody could be an enemy--

♪ BGM: Silence ♫

Not a single memory appeared to have been altered by Subject N. After seeing all of those memories, Natsuhiko thought to himself.

(... So that's what it was... That's why Prof. Tsubakiyama closed her heart to us... She had to keep fighting all alone without even being able to reveal her true identity...)

What Natsuhiko felt in regards to the true identity Ena had hidden from them was not shock, but rather respect. All of his suspicions about Ena were swept away by what he saw of those memories.

(... It doesn't matter anymore that she closed her heart to us. Prof. Tsubakiyama is our ally!)

And with joy in his heart, Natsuhiko ended Senses Sympathy with Ena.

• Locked thread