Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Does Black Sails keep getting better or how is the quality on a per season basis? I recall liking the first season, though I don't think I quite finished it, and then just kind of forgot about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

DrVenkman posted:

I always just wonder what big drama went down between them.

Literally everyone who's been in a sketch troupe agrees it's about 300x more work than any other kind of show you could put on because you have to come up with funny poo poo nonstop and can't let the characters or plot carry something once it stops being funny. You have to start from scratch almost every time, too, you can't build on things you made previously. It's like working on 10 sitcom pilots per episode.

Arist posted:

Also I haven't seen Get Out but it seems kind of misleading to call that movie "unfunny."

I wasn't talking about Key and Peele, they seem to be doing just fine so far.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Snak posted:

If I was gonna describe the current state of this show to someone, I would say "It's​ a cross between the best of Lost and the best of Sleepy Hollow, but better."

Man I love the show but that's a really bad job trying to sell it right there.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Although, if there were a show about a British defector time traveling to a hippie commune that doubles as a research station into dark energy, I would most definitely watch it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

precision posted:

Does Black Sails keep getting better or how is the quality on a per season basis? I recall liking the first season, though I don't think I quite finished it, and then just kind of forgot about it.

Mid-seasons slumps with bombastic season finales that blows everything else out of the water is pretty much how all seasons operate.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fargo s3 hasn't been bad but it has been super uninteresting a lot of the time. The best episode so far is the one with only one member of the regular cast.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I agree that at least thus far, Fargo S3 has had more stretches of being kind of dull than previous seasons. It's not so drastic a fall that I'd characterize it as a meaningful drop in quality but I'm not glued to the set as much as I was for S1 and S2. I'm also not sure I'm feeling the villains in it as much, other than I really want to see them go down. Like you'd almost be entranced by Billy Bob Thorton and a part of you wanted to see him succeed (as long as it meant no harm to Gus and Molly), and for how monstrous the Gerhardts were they still felt very human. Varga is as menacing and alien as Malvo but with none of the charisma.

Best character by far is Nikki.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Nate RFB posted:

Best character by far is Nikki Gloria.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Not even close. I sometimes forget Fargo S3 even has a cop character B plot.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
RIP Sir Roger Moore, who will always be Simon Templar to me. :(

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The first season was such an interesting mis-step.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It was a stepping stone to give some depth to the story, instead of "ROAD TRIP! here's some flashbacks..."

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Rocksicles posted:

That's the worst example you could use. No wonder your homie bailed out.

Don't compare it to anything, it's not your strong suit. :)

I didn't use that example, I came up with it last night while I was drunk.

My homie just didn't find any of the story interesting or like any of the characters. If you don't dig the "cool factor" of time travel and you don't like any of the characters or find the story interesting, there's not much for you in the show.

I am curious how other people would describe the show. I agree there's not much like it.

edit: Yes, I admit that my drunken, off the top of my head comparison was really bad. I was trying to think of other shows that had a constantly morphing reality where the roles of characters change and are revealed through flashbacks and initially episodic plot driven conflict transitions into larger religious themes. Which is how I arrived at those two shows.

Snak fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 23, 2017

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I stopped trying to convince people about TV in sunlight world. When they don't get it, I judge them harshly.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Seven Days in Hell was one of the funniest things to come out that year.

SWEDISH

Rocksicles posted:

It was a stepping stone to give some depth to the story, instead of "ROAD TRIP! here's some flashbacks..."

Yeah, but the focus on characters and plot lines that literally go up in smoke, the relentless distancing from the main plot to focus on random side narratives, making Tulip so abrasive and unapologetically offputting, the general nastiness soaking through it....

I think it was all very purposeful and completely dedicated to doing its own thing, I also think that it makes it pretty hard to recommend as a satisfying season.

The filmmaking, writing, and acting is there. Hope that coalsces into something special next time.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rocksicles posted:

I stopped trying to convince people about TV in sunlight world. When they don't get it, I judge them harshly.

There's quite no way for someone to die in your eyes like when they first say that they dropped Breaking Bad because it was boring (mid-season 3, so ok sure) and then go on to tell you that Under the Dome was a great show. I mean there's bad taste and then there is 'I thought Dexter had a good ending' levels of objectively wrong opinions. No you didn't, you hated it like everybody else, shut up.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Shageletic posted:

Seven Days in Hell was one of the funniest things to come out that year.

SWEDISH

It just popped up as a "Recommended" selection for me on the HBO Now app the other day, I assume because they're trying to build hype for this special. I had forgotten how riotously funny it was, and it wasted no time in reminding me.

I wonder if Dolph Lundgren's role in Tour de Pharmacy will be once again consigned to repurposed interview clips, subtitled with details on his wonderful experience in Swedish men's prison.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, Seven Days in Hell was brilliant. If this comes close, I'm so in.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
drat, today is the 7 year anniversary of the :lost: finale. Time flies.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'm in this uncomfortable limbo where I'm extremely thrilled that there's a new season of Twin Peaks that I can watch RIGHT NOW but scared that I've built it up too much in my head and it's going to be weird and unnatural to try to return to that setting.

MiddleOne posted:

There's quite no way for someone to die in your eyes like when they first say that they dropped Breaking Bad because it was boring (mid-season 3, so ok sure) and then go on to tell you that Under the Dome was a great show. I mean there's bad taste and then there is 'I thought Dexter had a good ending' levels of objectively wrong opinions. No you didn't, you hated it like everybody else, shut up.

Oh, Under the Dome is a horrendous show but the first couple of seasons were occasionally hilarious in their absolute absurdity.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I had never hate watched a show.

Until Under the Dome.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

Oh, Under the Dome is a horrendous show but the first couple of seasons were occasionally hilarious in their absolute absurdity.

Oh it was very entertaining, but you'd have to mentally deranged to think it was 'good'.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
"I know you murdered my husband not even two weeks ago but you do seem to feel really bad about it so I guess we can bang some more."

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

PantsBandit posted:

"I know you murdered my husband not even two weeks ago but you do seem to feel really bad about it so I guess we can bang some more."

Who else was she supposed to bang? Joe?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Under the Dome and Zoo are two shows that transcend normal definitions of "Good" and "Bad". They are gifts to us from on high.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Zoo was a trip, man. Is there a third season? I'm really hoping for talking lions.

HanabaL03 posted:

drat, today is the 7 year anniversary of the :lost: finale. Time flies.

Every time I make the decision to stop watching a show and delete the unwatched episodes off my DVR I do so just slightly thinking back to that day.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I thought it had been cancelled, but :siren: Zoo season 3 starts next month. First 2 seasons are on Netflix, you all best catch up

I'll make the thread for it in a week or two

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

Watching Twin Peaks on amazon is great because you get all their little pop up trivia like "Kyle McLachlan maintains a website for his two dogs"

Are you talking about the new series or is this on the original? I'm actually rewatching the original series on Netflix but if there's pop up trivia on Amazon I'll gladly switch apps.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm pretty sure everything on Amazon has the x-ray, but not sure if older stuff has trivia as opposed to just showing the actors' names and faces. A lot of recent movies I've watched on there have had pretty interesting comments as well.

Would really love it if streaming services started carrying commentary tracks though

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah I just switched over to Amazon to check and it doesn't even have X-Ray for the actors/score, let alone trivia. Oh well.

I'm torn on commentary tracks, I actually got the Blu-ray for Hot Fuzz because of the much lauded commentary with Tarantino and I got bored and turned it off halfway through because it was just them jerking each other off with movie references. As much as I like behind the scenes stuff and directors talking about their decisions, I think I like the ones where the auxiliary cast just shoot the poo poo and make fun of the movie/each other best. The LotR Hobbits tracks are all great, as is the Anna Kenrick/Marc Webber/Kieran Culkan/Aubrey Plaza Scott Pilgrim commentary.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 24, 2017

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Black Sails got progressively better after season 1. I think the final season took a slight dip, but seasons 2 and 3 were fantastic.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

get that OUT of my face posted:

I saw an ad on the subway today for The Jim Jeffries Show. Judging by the picture on the ad (Jim holding a newspaper that's on fire), it looks like yet another "comedian talks about current events" show that's so prevalent on Comedy Central and other channels. Someday, there will be a market correction on those kinds of shows, because they're arguably more concerned with making a point and being right than being funny. But as it stands, CC is stuck in a rut and trying to replicate the success of Inside Amy Schumer and Broad City without knowing why audiences love those shows. It's similar to how over ten years ago, they were fixated with "edgy" comedy shows by cranking out half-assed attempts at Chappelle's Show.

It's a shame, because I like Jim Jeffries's standup, and I also thought that Legit was a great show. Too bad that the second season was on FXX and nobody watched it, it added a lot of heart to the central concept.

I don't care, I'm just glad this glorious man is getting more work.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

precision posted:

I'm pretty sure everything on Amazon has the x-ray, but not sure if older stuff has trivia as opposed to just showing the actors' names and faces. A lot of recent movies I've watched on there have had pretty interesting comments as well.

Would really love it if streaming services started carrying commentary tracks though

X-Ray is how I found out that The Legend of Korra has voice actors specifically for dog barking.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

precision posted:

I thought it had been cancelled, but :siren: Zoo season 3 starts next month. First 2 seasons are on Netflix, you all best catch up

For some reason I thought it had been cancelled after the first season :psyduck: great news!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the "some reason" we all assume Zoo is cancelled is because its really, really terrible and by all rights SHOULD be cancelled.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

quote:

Anthony Delge: But I Ain’t Worryin’. In his first stand-up special, Anthony doesn’t hold his thoughts back on toilet seats, welfare, dating and what happened to books-on-cassette.

Stephen King’s The Bringers. When Thom Bringer moves into a mansion in Derry, Maine, he discovers something has moved in with him, and that something might not be of this earth.

Horseboys. In this Sundance award-winner, a dying teacher shares his love of horses mating with his college preparatory history class. He changes their lives… and in time, they change his.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

precision posted:

gently caress yeah. Season 1 was one of my first threads.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Pretty sure they are all slated for Fall 2018.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Snak posted:

My homie just didn't find any of the story interesting or like any of the characters.

Make your friend apologize to Time Jesus right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
None of that stuff really gets going until season 2.

• Locked thread