Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

That sounds like a chapter of Jojo's.
ゴゴゴゴゴゴゴ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Schwarzwald posted:

They can fly over any checkpoints with 3d gear.

And get noticed even faster, by leaving smoke trails, noise from the anchors and gas, and just being people sailing through the air.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It's fine, nobody ever looks up.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I kind of hope they got Annie out of the crystal and convinced her to join their side

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

In It For The Tank posted:

Perhaps the reason we've spent the last few chapters developing the characters in Marley is to capture their horror when the Attack Titan and the Colossal Titan suddenly attack, in a reversal of the beginning of the series.

Armin going tact-nuke in the middle of a Marleyan victory parade as Reiner looks on in horror. Now wouldn't that be something?

SgtSteel91 posted:

I kind of hope they got Annie out of the crystal and convinced her to join their side

Or they salvaged titan juice from the Marley incursions and had Sasha eat her.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I think Paradis infiltrators would be a fantastic twist. I really want to see Reiner drowning his lonely sorrows at some godforsaken pub, only to turn around and find Mikasa and Levi beside him.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Nah, they should play it like a horror film. Other shifters start disappearing, and Reiner's convinced it's a Paradise Island infiltrator but ever thinks he's just gone crazy.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Soooooo many motherfuckers gonna die in World War Titan.

The streets will run as red rivers, and The New Eldian Empire (Praise Ever Be to Most Holy Ymir, and her servant on earth Her Highness Historia Reiss!) will be built on a mountain of Marelian corpses.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

「THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS」

Beautiful.

I can't wait to see Armin's Colossal Titan in action, and how he might use it differently than Bert did. I'm sure he's devised some seriously what-the-gently caress level techniques over the timeskip.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

「THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS」

boy

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

comedyblissoption posted:

Eren may have figured out how to use the Coordinate after 4 years, so Marley having more titan shifters may not matter at all.

He doesn't even necessarily have to have the power to control titan shifters. He could just control Chekov's wall titans.

That would be quite the scene. An army of colossals emerging from the harbor and trampling everything into rubble.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

It's fine, nobody ever looks up.

everyone is dogs, got it

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

So I just caught up and will probably have some more questions but for now the one that's bugging me is... do we know what the 9th titan is?
Attack and Founding/Coordinate are Eren
Colossal is Armin
Armored is Reiner
???-1 is Galliard, whose brother was eaten by...
Area/???-2 as Ymir (This is ??? because that may be a mistranslation. It's the first time we hear what Titan she is, after all, and Coordinate was a mistranslation, right?)
Beast is Zeke
Female is Annie

Did I miss anything? Think maybe the 9th is the flying titan that guy speculates about?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Attack, Leader, Colossal, Armored, Horse/Cart, Beast/Monkey, Jaw, Female

9th is unknown.

Kild fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 22, 2017

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

DaveKap posted:

So I just caught up and will probably have some more questions but for now the one that's bugging me is... do we know what the 9th titan is?
Colossal is Armin
Armored is Reiner
Area/???-2 as Ymir (This is ??? because that may be a mistranslation. It's the first time we hear what Titan she is, after all, and Coordinate was a mistranslation, right?)
Beast is Zeke
Female is Annie

Did I miss anything? Think maybe the 9th is the flying titan that guy speculates about?

Galliard's titan is the Jaw titan, which is the same one that Ymir had. The Mule titan is also a shifter. As far as I know we haven't seen the 9th titan yet.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

DaveKap posted:

Colossal is Armin
Armored is Reiner
Beast is Zeke
Female is Annie

Mule titan.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I'm looking forward to Marley getting Shiganshina'ed. I probably wouldn't have given that eldian infiltrators theory too much credit if so many of the previous theories hadn't come true.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Ah, Mule was so animalistic I just assumed it was Zeke controlling a rando with spinal fluid. Also forgot that they actually did name Jaw. Thanks for the answer!
Edit: Seeing as there's some confusion about who Ymir is, the guy who is currently the Jaw titan calls her the Area titan, so I don't think she is the Jaw titan.

Schwarzwald posted:

I thought so too, but they actually introduce her in the latest chapter. She's the woman walking with crutches.
THAT makes even more sense, since I had no idea wtf she was there for. Thanks for the further clarification!

Well at this point I guess my only other question is... what is Zeke's secret butt wiping technique?!

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 22, 2017

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

DaveKap posted:

Ah, Mule was so animalistic I just assumed it was Zeke controlling a rando with spinal fluid.

I thought so too, but they actually introduce her in the latest chapter. She's the woman walking with crutches.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I want to say the 9th titan is somehow the Ackermans but Marley did boast they had 7 of 9 under control.

Man this series has been on fire since the Grisha backstory. The last chapter made Bert Annie and especially Reiner such tragic characters, and the foreshadowing has been present since the first chapter 2000 Years to You. It really shows how much work the author put in to the story before he even started drawing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The series ends with Eren and friends dining at a table surrounded by the impaled corpses of thousands of Marleyan civilians.

Maybe the 9th titan is some sort of weird titan form that involves control over all those wall titans, and he/she sealed themselves to make the walls. Would explain why we haven't heard anything about the 9th titan. (I don't actually think this is likely to be the case, though the wall titans still seem very strange given what we know regarding the special titan forms vs. regular mindless titans. We've never seen any mindless titans that look like that.)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The 9th is you, the Reader Titan.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

The series ends with Eren and friends dining at a table surrounded by the impaled corpses of thousands of Marleyan civilians.

Maybe the 9th titan is some sort of weird titan form that involves control over all those wall titans, and he/she sealed themselves to make the walls. Would explain why we haven't heard anything about the 9th titan. (I don't actually think this is likely to be the case, though the wall titans still seem very strange given what we know regarding the special titan forms vs. regular mindless titans. We've never seen any mindless titans that look like that.)

i thought the coordinate titan did that

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

DaveKap posted:

Ah, Mule was so animalistic I just assumed it was Zeke controlling a rando with spinal fluid. Also forgot that they actually did name Jaw. Thanks for the answer!
Edit: Seeing as there's some confusion about who Ymir is, the guy who is currently the Jaw titan calls her the Area titan, so I don't think she is the Jaw titan.

Not sure what translation you're reading, the Crunchyroll translation of the chapter is pretty explicit about Galliard getting the Jaws titan from Ymir.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
I'm curious if Walldian society has changed now that the populace is aware of the nation's origin and their antagonistic relationship with the world. A manifest destiny-ish attitude of striking back and expanding against the world that leads to a militaristic culture? We could see a new scout corps with greatly bolstered volunteer ranks with the same fire Eren had at the start of the series. These people have had a few years to stew on all these revelations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

They already had a very militaristic culture: a monarchy with no separation between the military and civic justice. It was always an autocratic police state. And now, while they're aiming to grant more freedom to the people, they're still a military junta using a secret royal heir to legitimize themselves.

That said, considering Historia and the rest of the people at the top, I'd say their goals are probably the dismantlement or crippling of the Marleyan state, the liberation of the Eldians living in Marleyan territory (either allowed self-determination or granted passage to Paradis), and between military strength and treaties with other nations establish a secure base so that they won't be threatened again. Paradis is an enormous and easily defensible territory with the roaming titans gone, and rich in natural resources, so I doubt they'd want to expand far beyond it.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

RatHat posted:

Not sure what translation you're reading, the Crunchyroll translation of the chapter is pretty explicit about Galliard getting the Jaws titan from Ymir.
A bad translation, I guess!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

TWIST FIST posted:

i thought the coordinate titan did that

Ah yeah, that's right. I'm starting to wonder if the wall titans being so different from all the other non-shifter titans we've seen might just be a minor plot hole.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Ah yeah, that's right. I'm starting to wonder if the wall titans being so different from all the other non-shifter titans we've seen might just be a minor plot hole.

they're not different. titans require sunlight to move (this is why nick said not to let the sun touch the exposed wall titan), so after they were ordered to build the wall they couldn't do anything anymore because they were stuck in perpetual darkness

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ytlaya posted:

If we're going with the theory that what form a given titan takes depends on the spinal fluid they were injected with, then the wall titans were presumably formed by some combination of collosal and armored titan serum.

This kind of leads to the question of what serum "basic" titans were made from. I'd almost guess the attack titan, but that would imply the Marlians had access to that power at one point, but that seems unlikely since that would have made it difficult for the owl to end up with it.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 23, 2017

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

In before wall titans are all Ackermans.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

they're not different. titans require sunlight to move (this is why nick said not to let the sun touch the exposed wall titan), so after they were ordered to build the wall they couldn't do anything anymore because they were stuck in perpetual darkness

They look considerably different from normal titans and I think are much larger than any other titans we've seen other than the colossal titan.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Maybe each "wall titan" is actually several regular-sized titans stacked on top of eachother, and the one that got uncovered just happened to be one of those weirdos that has a disproportionate head.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Schwarzwald posted:

If we're going with the theory that what form a given titan takes depends on the spinal fluid they were injected with, then the wall titans were presumably formed by some combination of collosal and armored titan serum.

This kind of leads to the question of what serum "basic" titans were made from. I'd almost guess the attack titan, but that would imply the Marlians had access to that power at one point, but that seems unlikely since that would have made it difficult for the owl to end up with it.

For all we know they could have been stockpiling that giant juice over several generations.

Lamebot fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 23, 2017

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Lamebot posted:

For all we know they could have been stockpiling that giant juice over several generations.

Probably, but I'm guessing if the Marleyan government controlled the Attack Titan at one point, and later lost that power, that would have played a major factor in their interactions with the Eldians.

I'm thinking specifically about when Eren's father's resistance cell was captured. If the Marleyan government know that there was a missing shifter power, they would not have handled their prisoners in that fashion. They'd gag their mouths and wouldn't inflict any torture that could trigger a transformation. They wouldn't have been caught so off guard by the owl.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah Marley said the Reiss family/Wall people had control of 2 titans, though we know the only one they had was the Progenitor. I guess the Attack Titan went missing around the same time the walls went up so they just assumed Reiss had it.

The big question is where the 9th titan is. Does Marley have control of it and we just haven't seen it yet(maybe it has a very specific use?)? Is it in the hands of another country? I really doubt it's inside the walls since there'd be no reason to hide it at this point. I used to think maybe the power was split among the Ackerman family somehow but that seems to be a completely separate thing.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 24, 2017

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

RatHat posted:

I used to think maybe the power was split among the Ackerman family somehow but that seems to be a completely separate thing.

I'd love to see Mikasa's titan form in action, though.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Aw, these are cute.

https://twitter.com/aicnanime/status/867224819334602758

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Wait did they change Hanji's name to Hans for the dub?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

RatHat posted:

Wait did they change Hanji's name to Hans for the dub?

I haven't watched the dub, but her name should be probably be "Hansi", honestly. It's a gender-neutral German name, and I imagine "Hanji" is a mistranslation that became official, a la the title.