Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

:siren: :siren: :siren:

Stuntman posted:

since a lot of people only check bookmarks, you should know that our admin, lowtax, has been credibly accused of abusing his partner.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980

please do what you believe to be ethical.

unpurposed posted:

I didn't find one in the thread so I created an Aviation Goons Discord server here: https://discord.gg/dgs64Bg .

Hope to see y'all there - this is one of my favorite threads and it would be shame to lose out in case the forums go down.

AWSEFT posted:

It's been a pleasure keeping this thing going for the last... 14+ years? I've shifted over to discord as well.

Version 10 - A continuous thread since 2006!

Welcome to the aviation mega thread! Here pilots, controllers, and aviation buffs mingle to ask, answer, and BS about all things flying.

First, some general information for those interested in becoming a pilot. There are many things to think about when deciding to become a pilot. Most importantly is where you want aviation to take you. Do you want to fly privately (meaning you friends and family with no compensation) or commercial (where you can get compensated)? Do you want to fly for fun or go on to the airlines, corporate, cargo, or flight instruct?

No matter what you decide, you should start by joining the AOPA, which will keep you abreast all the general aviation news and will send you a free flight training magazine for 6 months as a student pilot. They have great articles for people starting out and the organization fights for General Aviation rights. The AOPA also has an airport directory where members can post comments on the local airports and flight schools. (This info is also good when you start flying). Not to mention a whole forum dedicated to pilot/plane questions.

Now to find a flight school. The best way to check out a school is to go there. You can go to a local airport or see if the college has an aviation program. When you get there, ask them about cost, training, and to show you a few of their aircraft. Look at what equipment you’ll be training in/with. An old Cessna 152 is most common when you start (unless your overweight) and then you’ll move on to the old/middle aged Cessna 172. You can check them all out for fun, just don’t get yourself hooked on the brand new Cessna 182 with glass panel just yet. During training it doesn't really matter what you learn in, the point is to be airborne as much and as often as possible. While you're there, ask about a demo flight. They are usually cheaper than a normal lesson, count as your first flight lesson, and will let you get a hands on feel of what to expect.

While at the school, find out if they are Part 61 or Part 141 (Part refers to what Part of the FARs (Federal Aviation Regulations) your training will fall under). Part 141 is a pre approved, structured approach to your ratings. Because of its structure and many stage checks, you can get your rating in less flight time. Part 61 is more general and gives you more flexibility in your training. Here is an article with more information.

So you found the school and hopefully taken a demo flight. Next you’ll want to get a FAA medical from a AME so that you know that you are capable of getting a license and aren't throwing your money away. You will also need your medical to solo and will officially label you as a student pilot. If you want to fly for fun a 3rd class FAA medical will do. If you plan to be a flight instructor (and instruct anyone w/o a private license) you will need at least a 2nd Class FAA medical. If you want to go to the airlines you will need a Class 1 FAA medical. If you plan to go airline/cargo/corporate go ahead and get a first class medical now. If cannot pass it now, chances are you wont be able to pass it then, plus they’re usually the same price. When you pass your medical it’s good to fly as a private pilot for five years (assuming you're under 40). Here is a good site explaining medicals and the requirements of each. If you cannot pass your physical, don’t worry, it’s not over yet. The FAA now has a sport pilot program that only requires a valid (non-suspended) drivers license and requires less hours to complete. However, It does have limitations and you should talk to you flight school about it. Another option is BasicMed, see below.

For Part 61 you will need 40+ hours of flight time. Cost will be close to $5000 (minimum) however everyone learns at a different pace, some people require 100+ hours to get their wings and some do it right at 40. So be mindful if it’s taking longer and don’t get discouraged. I promise it’s worth it. During that 40 hours, you will have to log specific kinds of flight toward your license. This time includes a minimum of 20 hours of instruction and 10 hours of solo. You will also have to have knowledge of specific topics listed in the Practical Test Standards (or PTS) for the written test. After passing your written test and required flight time, your instructor will sign you off for your checkride. The checkride consists of an oral exam and a flight exam by an FAA designated examiner. The PTS lists the areas of knowledge and flight maneuvers you can be tested on and how well you have to perform.

Another question that comes up is if you have a friend with a plane. Great! Schools will allow their instructors to teach you in another person’s plane (so long as it meets the standard criteria). Some schools do add a surcharge for this service but it can still save you money in the long run.

Also if you are serious, talk to the school about buying time in bulk. Most schools will offer you a discount on the flight time if you pay up front in advance. Also some community colleges also have deals with the flight schools to offer you a discount. You are then paying the college the money upfront to get the school’s discount. The school then hands the check to the flight school. This option also makes you a college student and lets you enroll in college classes like aviation weather and ground school. These courses are usually much more in depth than most flight instructors' ground school. Not to mention that up to a point college can be written off on taxes.

With you Private Pilot license you can take friends and family on vacation. Fly at night and see your city light up. If you did it for pleasure you may jump off here or ride a little further for some extras. Remember as a private pilot, all costs associated with the flight need to be shared by the pilot (no flying for compensation).

Next on the list is the Instrument Rating. (IFR, IMC) This is not an easy thing to obtain and requires a lot of hard work and dedication. It’s one of the hardest and most rewarding licenses. This add-on allows you to fly into IMC (the clouds and low/no visibility using and trusting the instruments in front of you). This rating can get you out of sticky situations (like fog rolling in) in a snap. You will be taught to interpret the instruments and understand how the aircraft is flying without seeing anything outside. This rating requires concentration, multitasking, quick thinking, and trust in your aircraft.

To get an instrument rating (via Part 61) a private pilot will be required to obtain 50 flight hours of pilot in command (PIC) cross country time. Cross-country means you NEED to travel at least 50 NM in a straight line from your starting airport and land. Then you need to have 40 flight hours of simulated or actual instrument flight. This means you need to fly with an instructor or another pilot for 40 hours and fly the aircraft by only reference to the instruments. 15 of those hours MUST be with an instructor. Some of this time (50-15 = 35) can be done with another pilot acting as your safety pilot. This is a great way to met other pilots and if you make it a trip to a cross-country airport you’ve killed two birds with one stone. I recommend you do as much with an instructor up front as you can and in actual conditions if at all possible.

Pilots usually then move on to the Commercial Certificate. This is when a pilot can finally get paid to fly or fly at a less than equal share of the cost.

Next logical step is to become a Flight Instructor. This allows you to teach students to fly. Its a great way to build flight time while getting paid, albeit not a lot. There are three instructor ratings listed below.

Finally, some people get an ATP or Airline Transport Pilot License. This is now required for anyone wishing to be an airline pilot. To obtain an ATP you must have 1500 hours of flight time. However, there is a specific exception for military pilots and pilots who attend an approved Collage 141 school. People who attend an approved 141 collage to receive their ratings can get an ATP with only 1000 hours (500 less then normally required).

What privileges does each license/rating give me
Licenses
Sport pilot is limited to weight, fixed gear, no more then one pax., Single engine, must be VFR, not for hire, not at night, no controlled airspace
Private pilot (PP, PPL) is able to fly anyone during day or night VFR as long as s/he pays an equal share
Commercial pilot (Comm) allows a pilot to get paid to fly others.
ATP pilot may act as PIC of a scheduled air carrier's aircraft weighting over 12,500 or having more than 9 passenger seats. Airline FOs are also required to have this.
Ratings
Single Engine (ASEL, SE) allows pilot to fly an aircraft with a single engine
Multiengine (AMEL, ME) allows pilot to fly aircraft with more then one engine
Sea Rating (ASES, AMES) allows pilot to fly aircraft on water (with floats)
Instrument rating (IR) allows pilot to fly in IFR (less then VFR) weather.
Type rating allowing a pilot fly a specific aircraft weighting over 12,500 lbs or turbine powered.
Instructor
CFI allows commercial pilot to teach others how to be private/commercial pilots.
CFII allows commercial pilot to teach instrument students
MEI allows commercial pilot to teach multiengine students
Sign offs
tailwheel signoff allows flight of aircraft with a tail wheel.
complex signoff allows flight of aircraft that have retractable gear, flaps, and controllable pitch prop
high performance allows flight of and aircraft with 201hp or greater

As you may have notice, aviation is full of acronyms. It is never ending so here is a brief list to get you started.
Operations
Dual = with instructor
X/C = Cross-country
PIC = Pilot in Command
VFR = Visual Flight Rules
IFR = Instrument Flight Rules
Night = :downs:
SIC = Second in Command
Others
FAA = Federal Aviation Administration :cop:
AME = Aviation Medical Examiner
TFR = Temporary Flight Restriction
MOA = Military Operating Area
Pax = passengers
AoA = Angle of Attack
WoW = Weight on wheels

What are all these "parts" I keep hearing about?
Aviation in the US is regulated by the FAA, and their regulations are divided into a several numbered "parts" that apply to various kinds of flying.

In addition to parts 61, 91 and 141, there are also parts 121 and 135 that govern commercial flying operations.
* Part 121 regulates scheduled air carriers, which covers both passenger airlines and some big cargo carriers like FedEx.
* Part 135 is intended to cover "commuter and on demand" operations, which are normally things like aircraft charter services without a fixed schedule, but there is also a provision for scheduled part 135 operations as well.

Aside from the listed parts, there are also sections covering everything from aircraft design and pilot drug testing to airport markings and crop dusting.

Give me an idea of different aircraft rental prices.
Wet hobbs time for my school (03/2012):
172M - $97
172R - $117
172SP - $127
172 Glass - $142
182 - $195
Instructor - $55

What is BasicMed?
BasicMed is a program that allows people to fly without having to maintain an FAA medical.

What do I need to fly under BasicMed
1: Hold a US driver's license

2:Hold (or have held) a medical certificate issued by the FAA at any point after July 15, 2006.

3:Answer the health questions on the Comprehensive Medical Examination
Checklist

4:Get your physical examination by any state-licensed physician, and have that
physician complete the CMEC

5:Take the online medical education course and complete the
attestations/consent to the National Driver Register (NDR) check.

What can I fly under BasicMed

1. Fly with no more than five passengers.

2. Fly an aircraft under 6,000 lbs maximum certificated takeoff weight.

3. Fly an aircraft that is authorized to carry no more than 6 occupants.

4. Flights within the United States, at an indicated airspeed of 250 knots or less,
and at an altitude at or below 18,000 feet mean sea level (MSL).

5. You may not fly for compensation or hire.

What if I have a medical condition that might keep me from getting a medical?
For certain cardiovascular, neurological, or mental health conditions, the FAA will require a special issuance, but only once.

For more details, see the FAA BasicMed website, and AOPA has a pretty good explanation as well.
https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/basic_med/

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2017/january/12/aopa-details-basicmed-rule

Other stuff to be aware of
As of June 2017, BasicMed isn't recognized in Canada or Mexico, although this may change.

How do you taxi an airplane and is it hard?
Most aircraft taxi using the nose or tail wheel and the pilot controls this with his feet on the rudder petals. It does take a little getting use to driving with your feet and yes there are aircraft that you don’t steer with your feet (The air-coupe). Jets typically use a tiller which is a handle that turns the nose wheel.

How do they track aircraft hours?
Plane rentals come in a couple different methods. Rentals can be "wet" or "dry", wet rentals include oil/gas/etc in the rental price whereas dry rentals do not. With wet rentals if you buy gas somewhere for the plane it will be reimbursed to you. The other big distinction is "hobbes" vs "tach" time. Hobbes time measures the time you turn the airplanes electrical master switch on, until you turn it off. Tach time is like it sounds, based off the engine running. The tach timer only counts up in real time when the engine is at 100% rated rpm, anytime its lower its counting up slower. To account for that, some places will charge something like tach time * 1.3, to account for the differences. With that said, most places use hobbes time and are wet rentals.

Some other policies that you'll usually find are daily minimums, so if you want to rent a plane and fly somewhere on day 1, stay a day and come back on day 3 you'll end up with a 3 or 4 hr/day minimum fee to account for all the time you are taking that airplane out of service. Not all places have this, but its not uncommon either.

There are also clubs where you buy into shares of an airplane, but those rules vary quite widely. The often involve an up front cost to buy your share and dues which will get you X hours per month/year/etc and anything over that is at a set rate.

It gets pretty hot during the summer down here in Texas, and most airplanes don't have air conditioning. Does it get significantly cooler at 2-3000' AGL?
Yes it gets very hot outside and when you’re locked in a small cockpit with no airflow on the ground you tend to sweat A LOT. I try to wear lightweight clothing that breaths well. You can open the window (as long as your not in a piper (just open the door)) on the ground. The air does get cooler (about 2-3 C per thousand) but its really the air rushing in the vents at 130 mph that keeps you cool. Also be sure to have water on hand to avoid dehydration.

Can my passengers drink alcohol in my GA aircraft?
There is no mention of open container or the legality of allowing drinking on board. However the regulation (FAR 91.17) does state the except in an emergency “no pilot of a civil aircraft may allow a person who appears to be intoxicated or who demonstrates by manner or physical indications that the individual is under the influence of drugs (except a medical patient under proper care) to be carried in that aircraft”.

How low can you fly?
FAR 91.119 only stipulates, “the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.” So open water means you can fly <10 feet above the surface. However keep in mind that wouldn't allow you sufficient altitude to safely land in the case of an engine out.

What do I do if I’m not comfortable with my instructor?
Be vocal about it with your instructor if you're feeling uneasy or scared at any point so he can tailor the lessons to match your level of discomfort. A good instructor will not mind you changing instructors if you don’t mesh.

What accessories might I need?
(This is from a non-CFI IR private pilot, CFIs and airline pilots are different)
Headset, Tri-fold Kneeboard, VFR Sectional, IFR low altitude, IFR Approach Procedures, AF/D, Transceiver, GPS (w/ Antenna), Multi-tool, Fuel sump, PTT Switch, Flashlights, extra batteries, pens, highlighters, markers, flight computer E6B, flight timer, Plotter, IFR Plotter, log book (sometimes), foggles, passport, binder clip (for Approach plates), small notepad, flight planner sheets, gum, water, large mouthed relief container, Ibuprofen, dopamine (for the passengers not you), and acetaminophen.

How hard is it to find an aviation job in ______?
In aviation, the ease of finding work is only limited by how far you're willing to move.

New rest duty/rest rules! Part 117
Part 117, effective January 4, 2014, is the first major revision of the flight limitation regulations in 60 years. It increased minimum rest times (layovers) from 8 to 10 and reduced duty days (time on duty) from 16 hours to 9 to 13 hours based on start time and number of flights. It also added language allowing pilots to more easily avoid flying when unfit. This is ALPA’s Guide to Part 117 (pdf) and is a great resource.

I want to know more about aerodynamics.

Inferior Third Season posted:

I have a Master's in Aerospace Engineering. So I guess I could be the resident expert on questions regarding aerodynamics and such
- link to PM :D

What is the difference between a sport license and a private pilot license?
A sport license will be a little less expensive, but a lot more restrictive.

Some key points:
- Under 1320 gross weight
- 2 seats
- daytime only
- max speed of 120 knots
- can't go to towered airports without extra training
- 20 hours vs 40 hours

Items to be covered during a good passenger preflight briefing
Pilot in Command’s distinction/authority
Seat belts (how to use them, keep them on during the flight)
Headsets (how to adjust volumes)
Exits (where they are located, how to use them)
Sick-sacs (where they are, how to use them, be sure to get one out BEFORE you puke)
Fresh air vents (where they are, how to use them)
Not to touch anything without my permission (especially anything red)
Keep clear of the flight controls (since passengers may not be aware of the rudder pedals)
Sterile cockpit (especially for controlled fields)
Point out any traffic they might see
Anything they think might be a problem in flight(stuff leaking from the airplane, bits falling off etc...)
Oxygen (if required)
Positive exchange of controls

If I own an aircraft what maintenance can I perform myself?
The regs only allow preventative maintenance to be performed by a pilot, with all other work requiring a certified person of some kind. (Exception: Experimental amateur-built aircraft, where the builder is automatically the ONLY mechanic.)
More info: http://www.watsonvillepilots.org/articles/DIYmaint.htm

I want to learn how to fly helicopters. Are they different than fixed wings?
Yes! There are some major differences between rotorcraft and fixed wing.

*The licenses: The pipeline is different than fixed wing, a little more streamlined. You'll start with a private pilot (rotorcraft), then usually go for your instrument rating, commercial rating, and then CFI and CFII. We don't generally get ATP ratings and we don't have to worry about multi-engine vs. single engine. Yes, this means that your fixed wing license won't let you fly a helicopter; you'll have to go to rotorcraft school as well. On the plus side, a lot of your ground school and even some of your flight training will carry over. So, you won't have to relearn how to calculate weight and balance, navigational aids, meteorology, etc. This will cut down on study time (and expense) considerably, and allow you to spend more time hour building.

*Where you spend your time: As a new helicopter pilot, you can expect to spend several hours learning how to hover. Trust me, it's not an easy thing to learn -- while some people can learn it in as low as an hour or so, it takes most pilots two or three hours to feel comfortable holding and controlling a hover, and some can take even more than that. We also have another hurdle in learning how to autorotate -- an emergency maneuver that is part of your PPL checkride. We'll talk more about it below. You can compare learning to hover and learning to do autos in a helo with learning how to take off and land, and learning stalls and spins in a fixed wing.

*Instruments - while instrument flying isn't significantly different than fixed wing, due to the aerodynamics of helicopters, it is easier in some regards. When holding a constant level of collective pitch (and maintaining a constant manifold pressure) and a constant rotor RPM, helicopters have a strong tendency to maintain a constant (give or take 50-100 feet) altitude. Changes in altitude typically result in a change in airspeed (easily visible on your instruments) and a change in rotor RPM (both audible, visible on your instruments, and if you have a throttle governor, you probably will feel it too). Thus there is a natural tendency for the helicopter to "fly itself" at a level altitude, and bit more tactile feedback that lets you be a bit more responsive to "feel".

*Expense - Yeah, it's more expensive. A lot. You're probably looking in the $200-250 an hour range for dual instruction, and around half that for solo. If you're looking to build turbine time, it can range from $400-1000 depending if it is solo, or dual. It gets expensive real quick. Even worse, getting a job is difficult as most jobs require type experience in a turbine helicopter, which can cost you tens of thousands to obtain. There are two routes if you're seeking employment. The first the military route. This will build you a large number of turbine hours at no cost, and is realistically the only way to get turbine time in the hundreds of hours. The other option is to get a CFII and build time as an instructor. Your time will likely be on piston helicopters, but your school may give you a discount or even free turbine time, and you'll be building total time hours that will at least put you in the ballpark when you're applying for jobs.

*Flying: It's a whole different experience when you're flying. For one, you aren't bound by the same restrictions as fixed wings. Everyone else is tooling around at a few thousand feet or more; you're buzzing along at 500 ft. AGL or less. They get put into the pattern or directed by ATC while you get cleared to approach direct to the helipad, or an empty taxiway, or directly to the apron....wherever you want because you can land anywhere. Yes, this means you have to be more vigilant and keep your head on a swivel, but it's nice being able to utilize the grass runways, (or no runway at all) or make a left hand traffic pattern to 8L while everyone else is doing right hand traffic to 8R. The downside? You're much more restricted ceiling-wise. If there's weather or cloud cover, you ain't flying over it. And you're going to be more restricted in terms of fuel range (which is reflected in your cross country requirements being shorter than fixed wing). But who the gently caress cares when you can fly from Palm Beach down to the keys, land on an island with no access by land, fish all day, then fly home? Or if you live in the boonies, even just land in your own backyard?

Can you name some of your favorite aviation related web sites?
http://avherald.com/ Airline blunders/crashes/incidents
http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com – Has pay rates for Airline/Charter/Cargo
http://www.visi.com/~mim/nav/ - Basic VOR/ADF/HSI demonstrator
http://www.aeroplanner.com/
http://www.exams4pilots.org/
http://www.pfactor.com/
http://www.aopa.org/
http://www.airliners.net
http://www.wunderground.com
http://www.eaa.org
http://leftse.at/
http://pprune.org/
http://www.propilotworld.com/ :10bux: /y
https://www.studentpilot.com
http://gc.kls2.com/
https://www.avcanada.ca :canada:
http://airnav.com/
http://skyvector.com/
http://adds.aviationweather.gov/
http://fltplan.com/
https://www.mywrittenexam.com
https://www.myafd.com
https://www.myplane.com
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/aviation_videos.htm
http://www.navmonster.com/
Good info on atmospheric conditions
https://www.duat.com/
http://www.chickenwingscomics.com/
http://www.stuckmic.com

More resources
For information for fully converting your Canadian TCCA to an FAA certificate see AC 61-135 [pdf]
Sample Airmen Knowledge Test Questions
There is a way to get a license based on your foreign license with just paper work.
AAA DOLFAN = Lawyer for an Aviation Law Firm in Toronto
Home built/Light Sport catch all
Books and Guides
Aviation Handbooks and manuals I recommend the AIM (Aeronautical Information Manual), IFH (Instrument Flying Handbook), IPH (Instrument Procedure Handbook), PHoAK (Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge) and the AFH (Airplane Flying Handbook) which is on this page
Everything explained for the Professional Pilot
Stick and Rudder
Say Again, Please
and reluctantly the Gleim Knowledge test books are good for studying for the exam.

:canada: -ian books
Transport Canada's Official Publicaions
Air Command Weather Manual

Current pilots looking for work check out these forums
http://www.climbto350.com/ (Pay site)
http://forums.jetcareers.com/jobs-available/
http://www.pilotjobupdate.com/
http://guardreservejobs.com/ (Guard/Reserve jobs)

:siren: If you would like to be special and listed (or updated) in my Pilots ITT list. Please either PM me or respond to this message :f5: (please do NOT quote ALL the text). Also since V5.0 if you'd rather me put your airport vs Country let me know.

:siren: If you like all the info provided vote this thread up! Thanks!
Version 9er
Version 8
Version 7
Version 6
Version 5

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Pilots ITT!!!!
Alctel = Canada - Private Pilot
Aleks_r = Norway - JAA PPL-A
Animal = Puerto Rico - ATP ASEL/AMEL IR CFI 767
a patagonian cavy = KBFI - CPL IR CFI-I
ausgezeichnet = USA - ATP-MULTI COMM-SE CFI-I, 737, DC-9, BAe ATP, G4, DA-7X, Corporate
Awseft = USA - ATP AMEL
azflyboy = USA - ATP AMEL / COMM ASEL/ASES CFI/CFII DHC-8 Type
AzureSkys = USA - ASEL PP IR plus A&P
babyeatingpsychopath = ??? - PP ASEL, A&P, and Radio/Avionics repairman
Bargearse = Australia - ASEL PPL
Blackdawgg = USA - ASEL/AMEL Commercial
Bob A Feet = KNCA - Military ME/rotorcraft/powered lift/IR, V-22 Commander
Bob Mundon = USA - ASEL PP
brendanwor = Thailand/Australia - ASEL/AMEL Commercial IR NVFR CFI SF34 B737-800/900ER - Airlines
bunnyofdoom = Canada - Student Pilot
Buteruc = In UK - PPL/IFR (USA)
Butt Reactor = USA - ATP MEL/COMM SEL IR CFI/II CL-65 PIC Type
Captain Apollo = USA - ASEL/AMEL COMM IR CFI/II MEI
casey = USA - ASEL/AMEL MEI/CFI/II ATP EMB-145 – Ex-Airlines
CBJSprague24 = USA - ASEL PP IR AGI/IGI Remote Pilot
CerebralAssassin - ASEL COMM IR/Taildragger
Cessna = USA - PP ASEL
Choicecut = USA - Student
cigaw = KSAC - Comm SEL MEL IR CFI/CFII/MEI
CloFan = USA - PP IR Commercial ASEL
Colonel K = UK - EASA PPL IR(r) / nppl (Aeros, Night) and FAA 61.75 PPL
ControlledBurn = USA - Commercial ASEL/ASES/AMEL IR
CraZy GrinGo = USA - Helo ATP / CFI/CFII
Crazyivan45= USA - PP ASEL Airframe
Dalrain = USA - ASEL PP
Desi = CYOW/CYQT - ATPL, FI, FII, MEI, MU2, CL-65
dexter6 = KJYO - PP ASEL
Dominoes = ??? - PP ASEL
DrDork = USA - Rotary ASEL COMM IR, CFI/II
dupersaurus = KRDU - ASEL PP
e.pilot = Colorado - Comm SE/ATP ME CFI/II/MEI IR Tailwheel, CL-65 B767
ehnus = Canada - ASEL PP
Elliptical Dick = EHAM - ATCO
Entone = KADS - Sport Pilot ASEL
Farrok = USA - ASEL PPL
Ferris Bueller = MI - Comm ASEL/ATP AMEL MEI/CFII/CFI EMB-145 and RJ-85/Bae146 SIC
figby = ATL - ADX/COM/ME/INST - 121 Dispatch, PM questions
Foghorn = KGTU - ASEL PPL IR
fordan = N14 - ASEL/ASES
Gigbutt = KBKL - PPL IR
greasyhands = USA - ASEL/AMEL CFI/MEI/CFII Sa227 type Commercial/IR - pt135 cargo
helno = Canada - PPL
hjp766 = Europe (UK/DE) - EASA ATPL B757/767, A320, A330/A350, IR, SEP (Airline SFO)
IceLicker = USA - PP IR
ImDifferent = USA - ASEL PP IR
ImplicitAssembler = Canada - PPL ASEL, Rotary student
Inferior Third Season = USA - ASEL PP - resident expert on aerodynamics
Infinotize = ??? - ASEL PP
Jazzahn = K1B9 - PPL ASEL
K = USA - ASEL PP
Kawachi = Australia – ASEL/AMEL Commercial NVFR
kmcormick9 = USA - Private SEL and Center controller
KodiakRS = KPHX - ATP/CFII/MEI 737
KS = US - Comm IR Helo, expired CFI/II
Leif = USA - Rotor PP
leviathor = KFAR - ASEL PP
Loonytoad = UK - Quack UK JAR-PPL
MagnumHB = USA - PPL ASEL, Tailwheel
Mahnarch = USA - ASEL PPL
manic mike = USA - Commercial ASEL/AMEL IR, USAF
Meho = USA - PP ASEL
MidasAg = USA - ASEL PP
Mikojan - EU frozen ATPL, A320 FO
MrChips = Canada - ASEL/AMEL IR ATPL, glider, air safety officer
Nuggan = USA - PPL ASEL Paramotor
Nullpunkt = Germany – CPL/ME
Octoduck = USA - PP IR - naval aviator
ohno = kbdu - student pilot
Ormy = ??? - PPL UK
overdesigned = KNKT - PPL SEL IR w/ HP, Tailwheel - Naval Aviator
oversteer = UK - PP Glider
Per = Denmark - PPL
Prefect Six = ??? - PP ASEL
Pilot to Gunner = USA - Student (Engaged to a UAV AF pilot)
Pivo = Canada - student pilot
Poise aka HarryLerman = ATP ASEL/AMEL IR (Naval aviator), B737, G100
PT6A = Canada - ASEL/AMEL Commercial, IR, Class 4
Random Letters = USA - ATP AMEL, Comm ASEL/ASES, IR CFI/II, Tailwheel, DHC-8 737 Type
Rekinom = USA - Commercial AMEL, IR, Air Force
Reztes = KRAL - Comm ASEL IR CFI
Rickety Cricket = KDCA - ATP ERJ170/190 CFI/CFII
rldmoto NC - PPL ASEL/ASES Super Drifter, building Rans S20
Rolo = NC, USA - Comm ASEL/ATP AMEL IR CFI/II/MEI + A&P, C525, LR60, DA-50
Saliva = USA - PP ASEL
Samurai Monkey - JAR CPL / fATPL B737 3/900
Scotland = Canada - ATPL Instructor - Ex-King Air (in the bush), 767 and 787
Sewer Adventure = - ESEA PPL (A)
Sharma = :canada: - Comm ASEL/AMEL IR B200
Shavnir = KTKI - PPL ASEL
silversiren = KCRG - Student
simble = P19 - ASEL PP
Slamburger = US - ASEL PP
sleepy gary = USA - PP ASEL
SomeDrunkenMick = Ireland - Student Pilot
St_Ides = Canada/USA/Kenya - PP, glider, hot-air CPL
Stupid Post Maker = USA - Comm ASEL/ATP AMEL CFI/II
SwimNurd = I73 - student
Thaumaturgic = ??? - PP ASEL
TheCobraEffect = USA - PP Helicopter/ASEL
The Ferret King = USA - PP ASEL and CTO
The Slaughter = USA - ATP AMEL/COMM ASEL MEI/CFI/II PIC E170/190 737
The 3F rule = USA - ATP AMEL/ASEL/ASES/rotorcraft, IR airplane & helicopter, MEI/CFII, turbojet flight engineer, MD-11 type
Tide = USA - ASEL PPL
Tommy 2.0 = ??? - ATC Tower and Center
Two_Beer_Bishes = USA - ATP AMEL/Comm ASEL Type CL-65
Two Kings = USA - ASEL/AMEL COMM/IR CFI/II
Unicom = Canada - ASEL PP
unpurposed = ??? - PP ASEL
unnoticed = USA - ASEL PP
Varlock = Canada - High altitude ATC
vessbot = USA - ATP ASEL/AMEL CFI L-39 Albatros, TBM Avenger, CL-65, tailwheel, aerobatics
xaarman = US - ATP ASEL AMEL (Air Force) 707/737 Type
Zero One = KDET - PP

Everyone above has posted something since 2014.

If you want to feel special, post your stuff with my name so I see the post, and I'll add you

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jun 12, 2020

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Wow. When did the original thread start?

Answered in the first line. But still wow

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Cool, a new thread. Congrats on the bus.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
drat time flies. HaHAAAA.

If we add types to the OP can I go ahead and throw C525 and LR60 to my name? The CJ type is SIC only for a couple weeks cause I'm off to FSI the first week of June :toot:

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
Another thread time!

Awseft mine could do with an update
Colonel K = UK - EASA PPL IR(r) / nppl (Aeros, Night) and FAA 61.75 PPL

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
I guess since we're doing updates for the list

ATP
Types:
L-39 Albatros
TBM Avenger
CRJ
Also, CFI, tailwheel, aerobatics

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
You can change me from copilot to aircraft commander.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
Yay new thread. Awseft, add me as USA PPL ASEL please

Nuggan fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 23, 2017

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I've got MEI now.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

vessbot posted:

I guess since we're doing updates for the list

ATP
Types:
L-39 Albatros
TBM Avenger

Who does one need to know to get to play with toys like these? Also, what's the insurance like for those birds?

Sewer Adventure
Aug 25, 2004
Yay add me. I have an ESEA PPL (A)

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

Yeah add me too, PPL, flying a Super Drifter and building a Rans S20 in North Cacalacky.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Perhaps this could be added to the OP.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3474976

I intended it to be just about Ultralights and Homebuilts but it has turned into a catch all for my aviation which is more on the fun side rather than the professional side.

I even updated all the broken tinypic links from my first year of ultralight flying.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

rldmoto posted:

Yeah add me too, PPL, flying a Super Drifter and building a Rans S20 in North Cacalacky.

Where in NC?

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

i am kiss u now posted:

Cool, a new thread. Congrats on the bus.

AWSEFT, who'd you get on with? Frontier? I start year eight in the 7X on June 1. As such, I'm ruined for conventional aircraft for life.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

ausgezeichnet posted:

AWSEFT, who'd you get on with? Frontier? I start year eight in the 7X on June 1. As such, I'm ruined for conventional aircraft for life.

I'm gonna guess either he's no longer "blue" about aviation or he has "(red) wood" because he's so excited.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

OP is caught up to this point.

Both incorrect

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 20, 2019

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Needs to be an updated section on BasicMed.

Any volunteers?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Might want to add to the Part 141 section that, in some cases with college programs (at least with us), you need to have a medical certificate in hand before you can even think of registering for the Private flight lab but YMMV, check with the college. This is apparently enough of an issue that our flight training partner hands out flyers with detailed instructions on what you have to do from MedXpress registration to the first flight.

Captain Apollo posted:

Any volunteers?

Here's a starting point with FAQs: https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/basic_med/

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
One thing to note with basicmed that at least my AME mentioned to me was that a lot of doctors are hesitant to take on that liability and therefore will not sign you off. If you can swing it, just get a 3rd class medical. My AME said that at least when they issue a 3rd class medical, if something were to happen, the FAA has their back.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Captain Apollo posted:

Any volunteers?

You (or somebody) write it and I'll post it. It could also be a shorter description and a link to the FAA. I'd be ok with that.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Here's my quick " WTF is BasicMed?" Any comments/suggestions are welcome.

What is BasicMed?
BasicMed is a program that allows people to fly without having to maintain an FAA medical.

What do I need to fly under BasicMed
1: Hold a US driver's license

2:Hold (or have held) a medical certificate issued by the FAA at any point after July 15, 2006.

3:Answer the health questions on the Comprehensive Medical Examination
Checklist

4:Get your physical examination by any state-licensed physician, and have that
physician complete the CMEC

5:Take the online medical education course and complete the
attestations/consent to the National Driver Register (NDR) check.

What can I fly under BasicMed

1. Fly with no more than five passengers.

2. Fly an aircraft under 6,000 lbs maximum certificated takeoff weight.

3. Fly an aircraft that is authorized to carry no more than 6 occupants.

4. Flights within the United States, at an indicated airspeed of 250 knots or less,
and at an altitude at or below 18,000 feet mean sea level (MSL).

5. You may not fly for compensation or hire.

What if I have a medical condition that might keep me from getting a medical?
For certain cardiovascular, neurological, or mental health conditions, the FAA will require a special issuance, but only once.

For more details, see the FAA BasicMed website, and AOPA has a pretty good explanation as well.
https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/basic_med/

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2017/january/12/aopa-details-basicmed-rule

Other stuff to be aware of
As of June 2017, BasicMed isn't recognized in Canada or Mexico, although this may change.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 24, 2017

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I've been hearing about this supposed reticence by physicians to sign off on a Basic Med form. Interestingly, I haven't actually heard of anybody being denied, and even if they were it's not reportable so they can find a physician who is comfy with the idea! This anecdotal evidence and hearsay are doing a lot to destroy some hard fought good intentions.

As a gentle reminder, an overarching principle of BasicMed is that you develop a relationship with your physician. I think we're all overreacting to the supposed fear of denial, but we have to remember that a 3rd class medical denial instantly goes to Ok City, while a BasicMed "refusal" means the patient uses some capitalism to find a doctor that is comfortable with the patient.

I've done some research on this:

Here is the medical exam the Department of Transportation requires for truck drivers:
https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/sites/fmcsa.dot.gov/files/docs/MedicalExaminationReportForm_091616_MCSA_5875.pdf

Here is the medical exam the FAA requires for BasicMed:
https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Form/FAA_Form_8700-2.pdf

The DOT has a search feature where you can find a physician that participates in the DOT signoffs:
https://nationalregistry.fmcsa.dot.gov/NRPublicUI/home.seam

I used Omaha, NE as an example. Doing a search led to 16 pages worth of medical examiners.

I'm going to try and leave as much snark out of this reply as possible because I think it's important for future, current, and past aviators to be able to see through the "comments section" of this new process.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

i am kiss u now posted:

One thing to note with basicmed that at least my AME mentioned to me was that a lot of doctors are hesitant to take on that liability and therefore will not sign you off. If you can swing it, just get a 3rd class medical. My AME said that at least when they issue a 3rd class medical, if something were to happen, the FAA has their back.

Someone who gets patients and receives money off of medicals has some FUD to say about their services not being required? Why, I never! And the only sense in which the FAA would have their back if someone had a type of medical aviation issue that would get a "normal" doc in trouble with his liability insurance would involve the FAA's knife as well as the AME's insurance company's knife.

My personal physician had no issue signing my BasicMed paperwork back on May 1. Doctors sign medicals all the time for truck drivers, scuba divers, etc; it's not exactly an uncommon thing to do.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Yeah, I took it with a grain of salt. I think basicmed is a great idea and if I had known about it before I needed to get a special issuance for my last medical, I totally would have done it. Then I wouldn't be jumping through all this poo poo that I have to now. The FAA standards for a disqualifying event for even a 3rd class medical are absolutely outrageous. I'm guessing that if I asked my PCP to do it, they totally would.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
gently caress me is this thread really 11 years old now? jesus christ.

today some lady wouldn't leave the lav at 2500 ft on final so the flight attendants decided that was good enough to break sterile and call me and at the same time Alaska did a horrible join to a parallel runway next to us and gave us a DESCEND DESCEND ra while the flight attendants were trying to explain to me what was up with this woman.
This is the kind of poo poo they don't train you for in flight school. Or IOE, for that matter.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I see the next airline fiasco centering around the bathroom. On my flight to Paris on Aer Lingus, an elderly woman couldn't understand why she couldn't use the bathroom during turbulence. Obviously, arguing, speaking loudly, and gesturing to Irish stewardesses (Im assuming she couldn't understand them so thought they didn't speak English??) was the answer. She in turned tried to pick a fight during every drink service.

I'll give it to the head stewardess. She talked this woman down and was nothing but pleasant and completely pacified her.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
I don't see why they don't just put a seatbelt on the toilet and sell it as an extra seat.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Funny you mention that. The King Airs the Navy flies for flight school have one and a relief tube if you simply have to pee. If the Chem toilet is used, it has to be suctioned/cleaned/refilled and noted with a MAF. It's contained underneath a bench seat next to the door/stairs. No curtain. It does have a seatbelt and when you are trying to fill every seat, you use it as a seat. The Navy uses the flight school C-12 to fly students out to Roswell and El Paso for winter detachments when weather is lovely in coastal Texas-- move like 12 students at once and also get cross country training for a few at the same time.

One of my last flights from flight school I was reviewing the ADB and saw a passenger manifest from the last flight. 12 people-- drat, full flight. Next page? MAF for the chem toilet. Some bastard took a poo poo, no door or curtain, in a full King Air.

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

Rolo posted:

Where in NC?

Just outside Southern Pines, an hour south of Raleigh. Near KSOP and BQ1.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

rldmoto posted:

Oh neat. I practically grew up at KTTA so I knew a lot of builder-bums in the area. I'd love to build something someday.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

rldmoto posted:

haha wow I'm just over the state line from rockingham

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

I'd love to finish something one day! I'm in the covering stage, but aside from learning how to do it as I go, life is getting in the way currently. I was hoping to be finishing it up by the end of the year and that's looking less and less likely. On the upside, the weather is warming up and I've got this to fly:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Is that on your own property?

Respect either way, that thing is so cool looking.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

The Slaughter posted:

gently caress me is this thread really 11 years old now? jesus christ.

today some lady wouldn't leave the lav at 2500 ft on final so the flight attendants decided that was good enough to break sterile and call me and at the same time Alaska did a horrible join to a parallel runway next to us and gave us a DESCEND DESCEND ra while the flight attendants were trying to explain to me what was up with this woman.
This is the kind of poo poo they don't train you for in flight school. Or IOE, for that matter.

Parallel approaches at SEA are always fun with the TCAS.

I've done several approaches there with the "MONITOR VERTICAL SPEED" going off repeatedly (which also comes with HUD symbology) during the last few miles of the approach because it thinks we're going to hit the airplane on the parallel runway.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Bob A Feet posted:

Funny you mention that. The King Airs the Navy flies for flight school have one and a relief tube if you simply have to pee. If the Chem toilet is used, it has to be suctioned/cleaned/refilled and noted with a MAF. It's contained underneath a bench seat next to the door/stairs. No curtain. It does have a seatbelt and when you are trying to fill every seat, you use it as a seat. The Navy uses the flight school C-12 to fly students out to Roswell and El Paso for winter detachments when weather is lovely in coastal Texas-- move like 12 students at once and also get cross country training for a few at the same time.

One of my last flights from flight school I was reviewing the ADB and saw a passenger manifest from the last flight. 12 people-- drat, full flight. Next page? MAF for the chem toilet. Some bastard took a poo poo, no door or curtain, in a full King Air.

Hey, if it's that or making GBS threads your pants, you use the chem toilet.

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

Rolo posted:

Is that on your own property?

Respect either way, that thing is so cool looking.

That's a local grass strip. I am almost never on pavement, which is a good and a bad thing. It makes me work a lot harder when I fly into a real airport, but grass is just so much more fun.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Bob A Feet posted:

I see the next airline fiasco centering around the bathroom. On my flight to Paris on Aer Lingus, an elderly woman couldn't understand why she couldn't use the bathroom during turbulence. Obviously, arguing, speaking loudly, and gesturing to Irish stewardesses (Im assuming she couldn't understand them so thought they didn't speak English??) was the answer. She in turned tried to pick a fight during every drink service.

I'll give it to the head stewardess. She talked this woman down and was nothing but pleasant and completely pacified her.

I can totally see this.

I was on a flight, thru 10k, FAs are getting their carts together, and my morning coffee hits me. I got up to use the lav and she barks at me to sit. Being a pilot I understand the rules but if the flight deck isn't gonna turn the sign off on a 3 hour flight we're gonna have an issue. Before she pushed the cart down the aisle she saw me watching and called up front to get the sign off.

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
So, for the OP, "Desi - CYOW/CYQT, ATPL, FI, FII, MEI, Mitsubishi MU2"

Speaking of the MU2, there was a bit of an interest in the plane when I got the gig, thought I'd follow up now that I've got about ~150 hours on type. For one, I can say without a doubt, I don't know jack at 150 on type and this is after receiving top notch training and flying with some of the highest time MU2 pilots in the world as my captains. This thing is one hell of a machine that is an awesome medevac platform. I came in with 1700TT and 600MPIC and all that counted for effectively jack, as this plane is, in a word, humbling. It is an extremely high performance (in its class) and unstable airplane that demands constant and active monitoring and flying. If you rest for a minute, or get lazy with your scan for just a second, you will see the consequences immediately. If you have an emergency and are not prepared or well trained enough to handle it.... well, the airplane's accident history can address that. But if you respect the machine and fly it precisely and by the book you get incredible performance. We fly these things flat-out per SOPs and as a result are usually cruising up to FL280 over 300kts GS and I've seen just over 400 on occasion. We can hold 250kts to the 10 mile fix, haul the power back, dirty it up, and put it onto a remote gravel strip in a reserve hundreds of miles from civilization (look up CYPO and CYER) without breaking a sweat. On the flip side, we pick up our patients and bring them into dense airspace and mega-airports such as CYYZ, CYOW, CYTZ, and the like, where we can mesh into the flow of traffic without issue - heck, coming back into our base I've heard Q400's being told on multiple occasions to "keep your speed up as long as safely able, you're being followed by a medevac Mitsubishi that is gaining."

Suffice to say, I'm having fun!