Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

VolticSurge posted:

Also, for people who pre-ordered on Steam, pre-loads are up now.

And here I am with my backerkit support like a sucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
By the way, I want every post on page 13 to be:

"ki ki ki ma ma ma"

Nothing Else!

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

By the way, I want every post on page 13 to be:

"ki ki ki ma ma ma"

Nothing Else!

Don't tell me what to do, you're not my real dad!

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Carebearz posted:

Don't tell me what to do, you're not my real dad!

Don't pretend like you're not doing this.

Homeroom Fingering
Apr 25, 2009

The secret history (((they))) don't want you to know
This is the first game I've pre-ordered and got excited about in a long time, so if history is any judge I'm sorry I made the game broken and unplayable on release.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I was hesitant to buy at first because I didn't think the fun would last very long, but people still play DBD so I guess it's worth a risk.

All in.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

And here I am with my backerkit support like a sucker.

I just got my BackerKit key, hopefully they are all going out now.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I anticipate there will be some matchmaking hitches at launch, as is fairly common in beta and other games at launch. It's hard to test your servers given that there's no way to replicate the potential load on them except with a beta or other open testing phase.

This is why it's vital to have a good pool of people you can tap for private matches!

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I just got my BackerKit key, hopefully they are all going out now.

They are, this is happening folks!

:gizz:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I should have bought the drat alternate clothes pack

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I should have bought the drat alternate clothes pack

They all look the same at the end of most matches.

Covered in gore.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Hell yeah, preloading this poo poo.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I anticipate there will be some matchmaking hitches at launch, as is fairly common in beta and other games at launch. It's hard to test your servers given that there's no way to replicate the potential load on them except with a beta or other open testing phase.

This is why it's vital to have a good pool of people you can tap for private matches!
What matchmaking would there be?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Scalding Coffee posted:

What matchmaking would there be?

Just their default quick match, I mean. I don't think there's any skill / level based matchmaking system. I'm just talking about basic multiplayer lobbies.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Even though I'm psyched for this game, I've only ever seen two of the Jason films (New York and the space one) and IIRC they were dreadful, witless trash.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

BeigeJacket posted:

Even though I'm psyched for this game, I've only ever seen two of the Jason films (New York and the space one) and IIRC they were dreadful, witless trash.

Whaaaaaat? I mean none of the film's are what you would call "good" but you need to see Crispin Glover dance at least.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am watching each movie and it isn't until the third that the serial killings happen before the hour mark.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
The second and third ones are the best of the series imo.

The remake from 2008-9 wasn't bad at all though.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Scalding Coffee posted:

I am watching each movie and it isn't until the third that the serial killings happen before the hour mark.

It's always funny to remember that he doesn't get the hockey mask until Part 3.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It was kind of odd Remake Jason went from "I will kill you all because I have mommy issues" to "I will kill you all because you touched my weed" but it was still pretty good

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

DeathChicken posted:

It was kind of odd Remake Jason went from "I will kill you all because I have mommy issues" to "I will kill you all because you touched my weed" but it was still pretty good

Jason is so iconic that he no longer requires any character development or motivation. He's one of those characters that just *is* and needs no additional explanation.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
I've not had much experience with these kinds of games but I can't shake the feeling that launching with 3 maps is "not a lot." Is anything else randomized other than the placement of the keys/battery/gas ?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Givin posted:

I've not had much experience with these kinds of games but I can't shake the feeling that launching with 3 maps is "not a lot." Is anything else randomized other than the placement of the keys/battery/gas ?

the beta only had the one map and it was extremely fun although I see where you are coming from.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Givin posted:

The phone and cars are in a random spot, as mentioned earlier.

The one map in beta did not feel like it got old or stale, and I think that this is just because there's so many possibilities on how the game is going to play out. In one game, you may run to a cabin and find it full of useful loot such as pocketknives, walkie talkie, car battery, etc. Perhaps the car is right outside and you get to fix it fast and easy!

In another game, you may find the same cabin has the power out, has been trashed and only half-looted, and there's a dead body inside you didn't expect to find. Whoops! Looks like your fear level just increased to the point where Jason can see you on his sense. Also this cabin has the phone, so he's been watching it like a hawk. Now he has morphed over and you need to run.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

The phone and cars are in a random spot, as mentioned earlier.

The one map in beta did not feel like it got old or stale, and I think that this is just because there's so many possibilities on how the game is going to play out. In one game, you may run to a cabin and find it full of useful loot such as pocketknives, walkie talkie, car battery, etc. Perhaps the car is right outside and you get to fix it fast and easy!

In another game, you may find the same cabin has the power out, has been trashed and only half-looted, and there's a dead body inside you didn't expect to find. Whoops! Looks like your fear level just increased to the point where Jason can see you on his sense. Also this cabin has the phone, so he's been watching it like a hawk. Now he has morphed over and you need to run.

You know what's the best part of this game? It straight up loving feels like a horror movie when you're trying to get the car running. One game I started in the cabin right next to the car and I had the battery in the cabin with me or nearby, my friend found the gas immediately and we fixed the car up immediately... except for the god drat keys. We spent the rest of the match looking for the keys, running from Jason and our numbers were dwindling. After finally finding them across the map we had to make a mad dash back to the car, get it running and Jason was on our tail the whole time. My friend broke off from the group and Jason followed him. We got the car running and took off towards the exit when my friend reemerged from the forest in front of our headlights and he jumped in and we made it. It kicked so much rear end.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

s.i.r.e. posted:

You know what's the best part of this game? It straight up loving feels like a horror movie when you're trying to get the car running. One game I started in the cabin right next to the car and I had the battery in the cabin with me or nearby, my friend found the gas immediately and we fixed the car up immediately... except for the god drat keys. We spent the rest of the match looking for the keys, running from Jason and our numbers were dwindling. After finally finding them across the map we had to make a mad dash back to the car, get it running and Jason was on our tail the whole time. My friend broke off from the group and Jason followed him. We got the car running and took off towards the exit when my friend reemerged from the forest in front of our headlights and he jumped in and we made it. It kicked so much rear end.

Some of the most entertaining moments can actually be once you are dead, watching the rest of the alive counselors with everyone else like a movie

They're running around, clearly looking for keys, while (dead) Player 4 is yelling: "Vanessa! They're on my body! VANESSSA! NOOOO, TURN BACK! VANESAAAA!" like you would yell at a dumb horror movie character.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It is going to be very boring if everyone uses mics to work against Jason. Takes the mystery/horror element out of the game.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
You already know that's going to happen. Gotta min/max every game, scrub.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Scalding Coffee posted:

It is going to be very boring if everyone uses mics to work against Jason. Takes the mystery/horror element out of the game.

Just enjoy the game while its new before it inevitably turns into Dead by Daylight and everyone figures the "meta" and best way to clown on Jason.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Scalding Coffee posted:

The voice comm is cleverly done in game. Once you find a walkie, you can communicate with other players with walkies. Before that, you are limited to proximity voice chat. Jason can hear either when he is close.

Once you are dead, nobody can hear you except the other dead players.

Also, I made a thing:

Page 13 here we come! :murder:

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

ki ki ki ma ma ma

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

The voice comm is cleverly done in game. Once you find a walkie, you can communicate with other players with walkies. Before that, you are limited to proximity voice chat. Jason can hear either when he is close.

Right, I think they meant using external mic software like discord or mumble to skip the cool atmospherics and just be in constant perfect coordination all the time like an FPS team. Which I'm sure dicksmashing tryhards will do instead of enjoying the ambiance of an interactive horror movie.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

VolticSurge posted:

ki ki ki ma ma ma

Too early, but I appreciate the practice.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

McSpanky posted:

Right, I think they meant using external mic software like discord or mumble to skip the cool atmospherics and just be in constant perfect coordination all the time like an FPS team. Which I'm sure dicksmashing tryhards will do instead of enjoying the ambiance of an interactive horror movie.

Not sure how you would co-ordinate that game setup outside of a private match. It's just random who you get thrown in with unless they have a "queue with your friends" feature. Even then, you'd be dicking over one of your friends who does happen to be Jason that round. But I guess that isn't above smashdicking tryhards.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Not sure how you would co-ordinate that game setup outside of a private match. It's just random who you get thrown in with unless they have a "queue with your friends" feature. Even then, you'd be dicking over one of your friends who does happen to be Jason that round. But I guess that isn't above smashdicking tryhards.

If I remember the beta streams, most people would just use the join function in Steam to get with friends. I think Private lobbies were broken at first.

I'm sure there will be people who take whatever path it is to max out whatever there is to max, but I think there will be $40 worth of fun to be had listening to randos squeal in terror for the first few weeks.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I like this. It was used in things like COD hardcore mode and made it super tense. Noticing the voice chat has gone silent because you're the last one alive. Then when you choke hearing the chorus of smack talk from your teammates. Discord might be good for grouping but i can see how using discord coms in game could ruin the atmosphere.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

it's worth noting that in DbD there was a lot of resistance to adding a queue with friends feature because they felt SPECIFICALLY that it was going to be a problem with people coordinating on mumble or whatever

they released the data before and after its release and survivor win rates went up by about one percent if they were a full party of 4 queued up together. reality of the situation is that unless everyone in the premade is equally good, the weakest link will drag the team down somehow. this will be equally true in F13's release, i think, because even if mumble premades get really good at attacking Jason whenever he grabs someone....Jason can just use his weapon instead. oops, you fell over and are dead, so sad jason didn't get an extra 10% xp for not being versatile perhaps you can congratulate yourself on that while you're busy being dead

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Any time spent attacking Jason is time not spent calling the cops or driving home. Jason can almost telefrag if the conditions are right, before you can even hit him.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Jason X is wonderful comedy shlock. Part 6 is pitch perfect with it though. The franchise is too stupid as a concept to begin with to be outright horror so there should always be an element of humour to them. People may argue that X went too far, but I think it stops just before crossing the line into outright (lovely) parody.

I used to chat with Todd Farmer on the old Friday the 13th message boards too. Nice bloke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Got my code from gun media this afternoon, all pre-loaded and ready to hide like a bitch.

• Locked thread