Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
History in the making boys:

https://twitter.com/SirJadeja/status/866010016737673216

https://twitter.com/MajorPoonia/status/864668360033751041

https://twitter.com/rssurjewala/status/866254176942080000

https://twitter.com/dmotiramani/status/865082014227206144

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
Who has climbed K2 the most times? I can see Apa Sherpa is the King of Everest, but there are almost no details on total K2 ascents by one climber.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
:australia:

http://www.smh.com.au/world/australian-climber-dies-on-mount-everest-officials-say-20170521-gw9wpb.html

quote:

Australian climber dies on Mount Everest, officials say Pradeep Bashyal and Annie Gowen

Kathmandu: Three Mount Everest climbers – including one Australian – have died with storms and high winds hitting the world's tallest peak, authorities said Sunday.

A 54-year-old Australian died on the Tibet side of the mountain after suffering altitude sickness, according to a report in the Himalayan Times, which quoted a spokesperson from the Tibet Mountaineering Association.

Roland Yearwood, a doctor from Alabama who returned to Everest after surviving the earthquake-triggered avalanche in 2015, died not far from the summit on the Nepal side early Sunday, according to Nepal tourism officials and his trekking company.

Slovak mountaineer Vladimir Strba also died Sunday, while search operations continued for an Indian climber who was separated from his guide on Saturday.

First day jitters?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
i guess they're still getting stumped by the stumpy step

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
Jesus. How many is it now?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Five so far, including one missing and presumed dead.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

down n out posted:

Who has climbed K2 the most times? I can see Apa Sherpa is the King of Everest, but there are almost no details on total K2 ascents by one climber.
Total summits(Assents counts those who didn't get back down) is 302 you could just carefully look through the lists yourself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K2

http://www.everestnews.com/sumk2.htm

quote:

The first climber to summit K2 twice was a Czech climber Josef Rakoncaj. Joska was a member of the 1983 Italian expedition led by Francesco Santon, which made the second successful ascent of the North Ridge (7/31/83). Three years later, on 7/5/86, he summitted on the Abruzzi Spur (double with Broad Peak West Face solo) as a member of Agostino da Polenza's international expedition.

In 51, Joska Rakoncaj is a living legend of the Czech Alpine and Himalayan climbing. In addition to the two successful climbs of K2, he summitted on Lhotse Shar, Annapurna, Manaslu, Cho Oyu, Shishapangma, Nanga Parbat, Nanda Devi, Petit Dru, Mt. Asgard and many other challenging peaks, and he made many first ascents of fine routes. Joska is living in the Czech Republic, running his company Sir Joseph, a producer of climbing equipment for alpinists.

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007
I know this thread has multiple people who have done the trek to Everest Base Camp and/or the Annapurna Circuit. I'm planning to go to Nepal next year and am wondering how the two treks compare. How do they rate in terms of a sense of adventure, backpacking independence​, cheapness, and experiencing an environment unlike any other?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Syncopated posted:

RIP the Hillary Step. Let it from here on out be known as the Norgay Ramp.

:yeah:

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Now that the rocks of the Hillary Step have fallen away, we have a more solid foundation for the last chairlift pillar that will eventually be installed.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I hope that sherpa makes it

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

FunMerrania posted:

Jesus. How many is it now?

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Deathpool: I'm in for 12.

Guys, if I win the deathpool I want it quoted and retweeted more than news of the 1st Indian woman to summit Everest from both sides. Anything less will crush my dreams. I believe in the power of your retweets, goons!

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

No it's 5 with 1 missing, so 5 excluding the missing one. The missing one would make it six.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

A Horse Named Mandy posted:

I know this thread has multiple people who have done the trek to Everest Base Camp and/or the Annapurna Circuit. I'm planning to go to Nepal next year and am wondering how the two treks compare. How do they rate in terms of a sense of adventure, backpacking independence​, cheapness, and experiencing an environment unlike any other?

I did the Annapurna Circuit last October so I'm probably biased. I haven't done EBC but I really want to, and I think whichever one you choose you'll have an incredible time. You'll definitely get a good sense of adventure from either of them, but in terms of backpacking independence I'd say the Annapurna Circuit is a lot more independent. I'm pretty sure you have to do EBC with a group and guides because of the permits and things (someone correct me if I'm wrong about this), but the AC you can do independently as I did.

Either one you'll experience environments unlike other places. You're really spoilt for choice just being in the Himalayas. The AC has a little more variety in terms of environment as you start in subtropical jungle, then temperate forest, alpine zones, high tundra, and high desert sections. It is genuinely incredible, every single day is different. From what I've seen and heard, EBC still has variety, but you start off a lot higher and skip some of the lower altitude regions. You also come back the way you came on the EBC, unlike the AC where it's in a loop so you don't see the same thing twice.

You go through loads of cool villages and settlements on the AC too, while there are some of them on EBC, they're really only there due to trekkers and climbers so the culture isn't really the same. On the other hand with the EBC you get to see loving Everest and Lhotse and all that jazz up close. You're still surrounded by bigass mountains and some 8,000 peaks on the AC but it's not as pronounced. Some of the photos Elwood took of the EBC make it look amazing. On the AC you do get to see Annapurna 1 and 2, Manaslu and Dhaulagiri though, and they're all cool as gently caress.

Depending on how long you want to stay on the AC it can also be longer or shorter than EBC so it's a little more flexible. The AC would be cheaper than EBC too. I got by very well indeed on ~$20 a day. That was including a place to stay, breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, and a beer or two most nights.

Honestly you can't go wrong with either of them. I will definitely be going back in the next few years to do EBC and I also want to do the Manaslu trek as well.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I truly want to see Nanga Parbat from the Faerie Meadows before I die.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Wasabi the J posted:

I truly want to see Nanga Parbat from the Faerie Meadows before I die.

Well, if the Taliban have their way those two events could coincide.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

simplefish posted:

No it's 5 with 1 missing, so 5 excluding the missing one. The missing one would make it six.

I hope they turn up OK

so I win the death pool :q:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

simplefish posted:

Huh. I counted the named people in the linked article and only came up with 4.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Well, if the Taliban have their way those two events could coincide.

I know :c

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Huh. I counted the named people in the linked article and only came up with 4.

one climber did not collect enough retweets to earn name recognition.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
c'mon, 7 deaths...

I hope the 7th is a canadian

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Nepalese climbers say Hillary Step still there, just snow-covered

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Hi, I'm late to the thread this year. When is the 2-3 week window in which all the climbs happen? is it right now? I remember last year it was in may...

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

It is right now. 200+ ascents out of 375 have been recorded. Grab some popcorn as the remaining stragglers start to scramble!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

redreader posted:

Hi, I'm late to the thread this year. When is the 2-3 week window in which all the climbs happen? is it right now? I remember last year it was in may...

Right now.

Historically more summits happen on May 18 than on any other date.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Holy poo poo! New ascent speed record by Spanish ultra-marathoner Kilian Jornet. 26 hours from base camp to summit with no oxygen and no fixed ropes. Again, holy loving poo poo.

http://deadspin.com/new-unassisted-mt-everest-speed-record-set-by-spanish-1795487545

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Holy poo poo! New ascent speed record by Spanish ultra-marathoner Kilian Jornet. 26 hours from base camp to summit with no oxygen and no fixed ropes. Again, holy loving poo poo.

http://deadspin.com/new-unassisted-mt-everest-speed-record-set-by-spanish-1795487545

This guy and Ueli's ghost should forever protect Everest and just run and up and down it stripping people's O2 and throwing it off the edge.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

This guy and Ueli's ghost should forever protect Everest and just run and up and down it stripping people's O2 and throwing it off the edge.

Some rich dude's journal found on the side of Mt. Everest posted:

Suddenly at 8590m, a ghastly apparition materialized and ripped my oxygen tanks away, hurling them over the side end over end until they landed awkwardly on the valve, presumably breaking it and sending the tank rocketing away into china. It wailed at the sherpas accompanying me and tried to engage them in a fistfight. The banshee knocked the last porter off the rope and he went sliding down the mountain, bashing roughly into every rock and creating a small avalanche on the way over the edge and down the side of the col. I shall never forgive the loss of the celebratory bottle of whiskey that he was carrying, as I intended to take a drink of it upon summiting, saving the remainder to place in the yacht club trophy case upon my return. The ghoul taunted me by swiftly floating up to the hillary step, teabagging corpses on its ascent. My party gone, I am not long for this world. Heed my warning, whoever finds this journal. The Stecktre comes for you!

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

:vince:

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
The most proper of ueli-gies for the man, the myth.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Anya posted:

The most proper of ueli-gies for the man, the myth.

The mountain.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Haven't seen this anywhere else so don't know if it's true but: 4 climbers found dead in a tent at Camp IV

https://thehimalayantimes.com/nepal/breaking-four-climbers-found-dead-camp-iv-mt-everest/

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Well it was published tomorrow, so it must be the latest. It says a total of 9 so far.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

EverestNoFilter is going for their summit push today. They just woke up about 2 hrs ago.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Turning out to be a real hell of a season

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, 9 dudes is a lot historically right? Feels not that big of a deal compared to eartquakes and avalanches and stuff, but poo poo.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

That is a pretty high number so far with no mass tragedy.

I wonder what the numbers are actually like for climbers versus other years. Are there a lot more people there right now due to the last couple of years of having the mountain pretty much shut down?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Yuns posted:

Haven't seen this anywhere else so don't know if it's true but: 4 climbers found dead in a tent at Camp IV

https://thehimalayantimes.com/nepal/breaking-four-climbers-found-dead-camp-iv-mt-everest/

You know you're having a bad day when you go up to recover a corpse and you stumble across four extras. That's really not all that common outside of disaster or war zones.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Four bodies have been found inside a tent at the highest camp on Mount Everest, rescuers have confirmed.

Officials said the four bodies were found by a team of rescuers who were there to recover the body of Slovak mountaineer Vladimir Strba who died over the weekend.

- See more at: http://www.skynews.com.au/news/worl...h.nZOZ9wDR.dpuf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

BBC coverage of the same story:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-40025553