Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

coyo7e posted:

Has anybody watched Freeload, the train-hoppiong documentary? It sounds pretty cool but I dunno where to see it online

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2962860/

Oh hey, it's that documentary about some friends of mine. It really depends what you want out of it. It does a good job of showing that "Traveler kids" are entitled whiny little shits with little or no ethical or moral compass and that they often put dogs through hell. Also that all Travelers are free spirits but all just happen to wear the same outfit/uniform and have the same terrible "white people dreds".

All that said, again, I'm friends with the primary subjects of the doc so obviously I don't really mean to sound as vicious as all that.

It is pretty entertaining and well made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Holy poo poo, and you call those people your friends? I'd hate to see how you treat your enemies behind their back

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

To be honest, that was one of the kinder descriptions of travelers I've read.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

coyo7e posted:

Holy poo poo, and you call those people your friends? I'd hate to see how you treat your enemies behind their back

I've said all that to their faces, many times over. It's possible to be friends with people you don't 100% agree with. :shrug:

But besides that, the people in the documentary say the exact same things I did, in their own words, so if they're saying it about themselves I think it's fair game.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

precision posted:

The Keepers is on Netflix now, a series about the extremely hosed up murder of a nun. After 1 episode I'm def hooked.

Yeah, it's something. The subject is really depressing, but at the same there's hope in all those people working together to do something about it, and the way that nun affected her students positively before her untimely death. I'm at the start of episode 4 now.

The :smith:est documentary.

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.
I binged the entirety of The Keepers this weekend. It's exceptionally difficult to watch at times, but well done. I'm a sucker for docs that slowly unfold like this.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Watched the first two episodes of The Keepers last night. I agree it is both horrifying (so far) but also VERY well made.

Directed by Ryan White, one of the directors of The Case Against 8 if you ever saw that.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Mahoning posted:

Are there any good documentaries about the Watergate scandal? I realized today (as the shitstorm gathers around Trump) that I know only the basic details about Watergate but none of the specifics.

The CNN 70s documentary series has a Watergate episode I thought was pretty good.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I wonder what the reaction of the Catholic Church was to The Keepers.

SamLikesCake
Oct 6, 2006

... and he is my navigator.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I wonder what the reaction of the Catholic Church was to The Keepers.

I'm willing to bet it's something along the lines of "no comment" while collectively making GBS threads their vestments.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

GonSmithe posted:

Never Sleep Again owns, you don't feel the length at all.

That's what she said :smug:

There's another one Robert Englund is doing, Nightmares in the Makeup Chair, that looks pretty fun and is supposed to be released this year

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I never picked up on the gay text of Nightmare 2 as a kid, and haven't gone back to it. Is it worth it for that alone?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
I think it was totally worth it, I've watched it a handful of times and it's cool seeing everything from concept to final product and hearing everyone's behind the scenes stories

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Didn't the lead say it helped him realize he was gay?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

There's some great character actors in 2 as well, Clu Gulager, Marshall Bell, and Robert Rusler all have memorable bits.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

precision posted:

they often put dogs through hell.

What do they do to the doggies? :(

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Waltzing Along posted:

Well from what I saw in the documentary it mainly involves picking the dogs up and putting them onto train cars, feeding them the same food that the people are eating, and sleeping on the ground.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The Ruby Ridge and OKC docs are motherfucking essential, big ups to Netflix for acquiring the rights to air PBS docs. Tower was really good too. Now if they could get some Louis Theroux stuff......

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I am Not Your Negro is being added on Amazon Instant next month, definitely check it out when it gets put up.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The Ruby Ridge and OKC docs are motherfucking essential, big ups to Netflix for acquiring the rights to air PBS docs. Tower was really good too. Now if they could get some Louis Theroux stuff......

Most of his documentaries, except for a few of the most recent ones and the encounter with Savile, are streaming on UK Netflix right now.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I liked that Joshua Wong doc that just dropped, it was pretty interesting to learn more about the protests in Hong Kong a few years ago.

I hope HK somehow manages to get democracy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Waltzing Along posted:

Don't get me wrong, many Travelers take good care of their dogs, but many do not, primarily because many Travelers have severe mental problems and are alcoholics/junkies. A local outdoors hippie free music festival recently had to adopt a strict "no dogs, period" policy because so many would die every year from eating things they shouldn't because their owners were rolling on molly and jamming out and not watching them.

ANYWAY, Doomed! is on Hulu - it's a documentary about the Roger Corman Fantastic Four movie, and it's really good in a very Best Worst Movie kind of way.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Man, the conclusion of Mommy Dead and Dearest is really strange. I'm not at all used to seeing murder cases resolve that way.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Man, the conclusion of Mommy Dead and Dearest is really strange. I'm not at all used to seeing murder cases resolve that way.

Right? It's just one of those cases where everyone just went "gently caress, man..." and gave (what I believe to be) the correct sentencing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I gotta read up on it more. I gotta think Godejohn is just getting the whole deal.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Are there true crime docs that aren't about white trash or OJ?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Unmature posted:

The killing season on a&e was pretty good. It's got some white trash though. It pretty much comes with the territory.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I gotta read up on it more. I gotta think Godejohn is just getting the whole deal.

Yeah his sentencing was pretty brutal iirc. Of course, he is a piece of poo poo.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Volkerball posted:

Yeah his sentencing was pretty brutal iirc. Of course, he is a piece of poo poo.

I mean, that's how retributive justice works. Somebody's got to get hosed.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Unmature posted:

The Thin Blue Line

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Unmature posted:

Death on the Staircase

B. Birdsworth
Jul 31, 2014

There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.

Unmature posted:

The Jinx

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MeinPanzer posted:

Death on the Staircase

Do you mean The Staircase? That's a really good one.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Make sure to watch the sequel too. I think there's a third one on its way but I haven't heard anything about it in a few years now.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What's the sequel about?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It picks up a few years after the first one and is basically a really gripping courtroom drama with a lot of twists and turns. It's called Last Chance I think.

E: Yeah. Staircase 2: Last Chance.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Thanks

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I was kidding, but thanks for the recs!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Unmature posted:

I was kidding, but thanks for the recs!

It's definitely good, and the two Staircase movies are like 10 hours total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't know how we stand on linking certain sites but if you Google "Staircase 2" you can watch it for free (not YouTube though, hence why I'm not linking it).