Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should go #1 overall?
This poll is closed.
Nolan Patrick 7 12.50%
Nico Hischier 8 14.29%
Someone Else 2 3.57%
Edmonton Oilers 39 69.64%
Total: 56 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Marek's rankings are up http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/jeff-mareks-top-100-prospects-2017-nhl-draft/

quote:

1. Nolan Patrick – C, Brandon Wheat Kings, WHL
2. Nico Hischier – C, Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL
3. Miro Heiskanen – D, HIFK, Liiga
4. Owen Tippett – RW, Mississauga Steelheads, OHL
5. Cody Glass – C, Portland Winterhawks, WHL
6. Gabriel Vilardi – C, Windsor Spitfires, OHL
7. Timothy Liljegren – D, Timra, Allsvenskan
8. Casey Mittelstadt - C, Eden Prairie, Minnesota High School
9. Cale Makar – D, Brooks Bandits, AJHL
10. Martin Necas – C, Brno, Czech Extraliga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Pettersson had an NHLe of 25.8 projected points vs common joke prospect Michael Rasmussen who had 23.4 projected points.

41 points in 43 games in the Allsvenskan is equivalent to a 58 point in 50 games in the WHL. To act like Pettersson is "as sure fire an NHL player as anyone in the draft" is pure nuts

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Ok sure but you also once argued with me that Johnny Gaudreau's ceiling was "Tyler Ennis"

Goon opinions on players shouldn't be trusted in general, is my point.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
I can admit when I was wrong though, it happens to everyone. I also thought Yakupov was going to be really good!

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

i still believe in yak city

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

A Typical Goon posted:

I can admit when I was wrong though, it happens to everyone. I also thought Yakupov was going to be really good!

I thought Bo Horvat was a terrible pick at the time.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Ya I was really mad when the Bruins took Pastrnak instead of Ho-Sang

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

ThinkTank posted:

I remember you having some spicey McDavid takes back in the day

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I thought Kyle Connor would tear it up this year but instead he will tear it up next year.

(also loved Yak, still want him to sign in Jersey)

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I think Jersey would be a good spot for Yak if he's allowed to do his thing on the 2nd or 3rd lines without much defensive responsibility.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Yak should go to Vegas and play with Shipabov and Devanov

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

A Typical Goon posted:

Pettersson had an NHLe of 25.8 projected points vs common joke prospect Michael Rasmussen who had 23.4 projected points.

41 points in 43 games in the Allsvenskan is equivalent to a 58 point in 50 games in the WHL. To act like Pettersson is "as sure fire an NHL player as anyone in the draft" is pure nuts

I don't think NHLe works very well for European leagues. Laine was projected to get 17 points using NHLe.

Also some guy named Dylan Gambrell was projected to get 39 points (he stayed in college and got fewer points this year than last instead).

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

A Typical Goon posted:

NHLe numbers for that league are not particularly valuable. You run into a sample size issue.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

^^^^^
NHLe isn't a stat I love, but it's actually not bad for the Allsvenskan. The current methodology is to calculate the equivalency between the jump from it to the SEL, then from the SEL to the NHL and there are hundreds of data points for that. You are right in saying that there are very few from the Allsvenskan straight to the AHL/NHL though.

A Typical Goon posted:

I remember you having some spicey McDavid takes back in the day

Yup, I felt he wasn't as far along as Tavares at the same age (16) and didn't fully understand why he was getting all the crazy hype he was (despite being a very good player and obvious #1 pick). By about the mid-point of his draft season it was clear how wrong I was.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 24, 2017

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

ThinkTank posted:

he kinda was from our perspective. that his loving skates were holding him back 15kph was not a thing we were privy to

if you said "bo horvat but a plus skater" i'd have been all over that

and i pit zero stock in nhle at this point. id probably take pettersson at 3

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 25, 2017

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Verviticus posted:

he kinda was from our perspective. that his loving skates were holding him back 15kph was not a thing we were privy to

if you said "bo horvat but a plus skater" i'd have been all over that

To be fair he kinda was a bad pick in the sense that he was drafted to be a defensively responsible two way guy with skating issues and now he's an all offence quick rush player. He's an excellent player, but that's a one in a thousand shot to work out like that.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I assumed Bo Horvat would be pretty bad because his name is Bo

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

A Typical Goon posted:

In your defence, I think most people did and if he'd landed, in, I dunno *looks up year he was drafted* Columbus, or with the Islanders, he'd probably be better off. Even Montreal would have been a better fit for him, and I think Therrien is awful. But the "culture" in Edmonton was toxic, and they haven't done a good job of developing guys. McDavid's an exception because nobody could have stopped him from being great, unless somebody elbowed his brains into oblivion. I even think Taylor Hall had his development hurt by the way things were there.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Someone finally put together an easy web version of the NHLe Calculator if you want to easily compare top prospects

https://nhlecalculator.blogspot.ca/2017/05/the-nhle-calculator-updated-24052017.html

(huge disclaimer: NHLe isn't that great, but it gives you a decent starting point)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Pretty sure I want Calgary to go with a Defenceman, I definitely don't want Klim Kostin (the fact that he didn't do poo poo in the KHL or MHL is super concerning), which one mock had happening. I'd much rather pick Foote or Valimaki, or if they have to go forward, Nick Suzuki.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 25, 2017

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Duck Rodgers posted:

I don't think NHLe works very well for European leagues. Laine was projected to get 17 points using NHLe.

Laine put up 33 in 46 Liiga games which translates to an NHLe of almost exactly 25 points. He put up 64 in the NHL last year. NHLe isn't projecting into the future, just saying that what particular season would be equivalent to if they spent the season in the NHL. So taken like that, a jump from 25 points at 17 to 64 at 18 is quite reasonable. Laine also came on strong at the end of the year after being buried on the 4th line to start. If you use his playoff stats only, that's akin to a 30pt NHL season.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 25, 2017

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

ThinkTank posted:

Someone finally put together an easy web version of the NHLe Calculator if you want to easily compare top prospects

https://nhlecalculator.blogspot.ca/2017/05/the-nhle-calculator-updated-24052017.html

(huge disclaimer: NHLe isn't that great, but it gives you a decent starting point)

I guess I should temper my excitement about this dude the Preds signed http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=176329

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The draft combine is this week. I mention it entirely because I picked up my brother from the airport on Saturday and I realized after a few minutes I was standing next to the folks tasked with meeting the prospects as they got off the plane so I eavesdropped on their conversation. They were all in agreement that Matt Martin was a big reason the Leafs were back in the playoffs this year.

That is all.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

https://twitter.com/AGrossRecord/status/870723388846874624

https://twitter.com/AGrossRecord/status/870725357930000384

This, uh, explains a lot. I kinda think whoever takes Patrick will find a way to play him in the NHL so he can have NHL doctors

Have some more rankings

McKeen's posted:

1 Nolan Patrick
2 Nico Hischier
3 Miro Heiskanen
4 Gabriel Vilardi
5 Casey Mittelstadt
6 Owen Tippett
7 Cale Makar
8 Cody Glass
9 Kristian Vesalainen
10 Michael Rasmussen

Future Considerations posted:

1. Nolan Patrick
2. Nico Hischier
3. Miro Heiskanen
4. Gabriel Vilardi
5. Casey Mittelstadt
6. Owen Tippett
7. Cale Makar
8. Elias Pettersson
9. Martin Necas
10. Cody Glass

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
are mckeens the dumbasses that always rate the mega grinders in the top five or whatever

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Verviticus posted:

are mckeens the dumbasses that always rate the mega grinders in the top five or whatever

Pretty they're sure that Mike McLeod as high as #2 for a period last year.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

รขย€ย• Corey Dostoyevsky
Hischier came in taller than I thought.

Mittlestadt is having a Sam Bennett-esque day:

https://twitter.com/coreypronman/status/871049486369476608

https://twitter.com/coreypronman/status/871053767311060992

corn on the cop fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 3, 2017

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I can't think of a less important stat than reps on a bench press for a hockey player.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Well Sam Bennett couldn't even do a pull-up, and look how bad he is now.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Mind_Taker posted:

I can't think of a less important stat than reps on a bench press for a hockey player.

don't they do hand strength too?

bench press is useless if you never take a slap shot, never push people around, etc, but you also don't want a roster full of that. maybe squats would be a better "raw power to push people out of the way" test.

also interesting that they adjust the weight based on your height/weight/whatever. the replies to that tweet say around 100 lbs, and the nfl standard bench press is 225

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
How many did marner do. Not to body shame.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Flames website writer did a mock. It's uh, interesting.

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/mock-draft---george-johnson/c-289706278

I wouldn't mind Nick Suzuki though, unless there's something I should know about him

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I wouldn't mind Nick Suzuki though, unless there's something I should know about him

Interesting because he forgot a team?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Wonderllama posted:

How many did marner do. Not to body shame.

Apparently he managed to do 10 reps on the bench press and 11 pull-ups, but could only do 90lbs of pressure in the left- and right-hand grip strength, which was the worst in his draft year.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

flames getting suzuki at 16 would make me pissed the gently caress off

i can't imagine a team being stupid enough to take rasmussen BEFORE tippett

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 5, 2017

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

if the canucks somehow walk out with pettersson and boqvist i will say three (3) nice things about jim benning

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Verviticus posted:

flames getting suzuki at 16 would make me pissed the gently caress off

i can't imagine a team being stupid enough to take rasmussen BEFORE tippett

I'd be angrier about your boys passing on Liljegren, personally. But I strongly doubt he'll last that long. Vegas, Buffalo, Vancouver, everything I've read on him suggests they'd be would be crazy to pass on him

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 5, 2017

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

i have no real interest in liljegren. heiskanen is imo the best d in the draft and i might not even take him at 5

might even take makar over liljegren

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the coyotes desperately need right shooting forwards and not so much defensive centermen with dvorak being good, richardson coming back, and hanzal able to re-sign. their right shot forward depth is vrbata/doan/pulkkinen/jooris and that's it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i'd like it very much if the rangers were to pick kostin or yamamoto at 21, where they will both be available by most projections. and i'd like for someone to take hague before then so that they don't get tempted, because that would be a very rangers pick.

poehling would also be a very rangers pick and i don't know how i feel about him really, but a decent amount of projections i've seen have them taking him. or ratcliffe, who i don't really know anything about

• Locked thread