Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Anything for Dreamfall Chapters? I doubt there's anything in particular to watch out for, given it's a point'n click adventure, but you never know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

double nine posted:

Anything for Dreamfall Chapters? I doubt there's anything in particular to watch out for, given it's a point'n click adventure, but you never know.

Not having played it yet myself the only thing I can think of would be play The Longest Journey and Dreamfall: The Longest Journey first.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

juliuspringle posted:

Not having played it yet myself the only thing I can think of would be play The Longest Journey and Dreamfall: The Longest Journey first.

I did, it's been a while though, so I read up on the wiki for all the plot that I've forgotten

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Nullkigan posted:

Hero Mode serves as a way to give a high level overview of the events of the period, instead of dumping you in at the deep end like previous titles and having everything end up ahistoricial.

i have fond memories of buying used rotk3 for the snes and slowly figuring out what every ridiculous abbreviation meant over the course of several months

playing as liu bei taught me how to steal generals from enemy armies, i never actually learned how to search for new units to recruit until years later

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Anything for Immortal Redneck?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
A technical tip for Prey:

If you managed to snag a pre-order copy (PS4/XBoxOne) with a code for the Cosmonaut Shotgun bonus DLC, you need to make sure of two things before you redeem it: 1) there is absolutely no Prey data on your machine (including the demo, save data from the demo, etc.) and 2) you redeem the code before installing the retail copy of the game. It's a bug they're probably working on, but if conditions 1 and 2 aren't met, you may find yourself unable to access your sweet, sweet preorder swag, despite the game telling you it's available every single time you enter the Talos I lobby.

EDIT: There's a workaround, evidently. I actually verified this myself--if you delete the game install (you don't have to delete your savegame data!) and reinstall it, your swag pops up in a cabinet near the entrance door to your office.

GOTTA STAY FAI fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 24, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

RatHat posted:

Anything for Immortal Redneck?

Hmmm...

- The same enemies appear in the same room configurations, so once you recognize that you can know what you'll face before stepping into the room.
- When deciding what weapons to replace, keep in mind that you'll generally want a weapon good against lots of weak enemies, a weapon good at long range, and a weapon good at delivering powerful hits.
- When respawning, you get to pick from a random selection of 3 of the aspects you have unlocked. If you don't like the look of an aspect and don't think you want to play with it, don't unlock it.
- Don't forget your special ability on right-mouse. It's not always useful, but some of the aspects have good skills.
- Sekhmet's passive is very powerful. The god of death's is not.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

double nine posted:

I'm holding off on playing beyond the first few hours I did way back, when I decided to wait for the full game (and now, the Final Cut), so it may have been patched, but...

The version I played didn't point out (at least not so I noticed), that the maps on street corners in Europolis actually reflect the layout of the city. They are still not great, but at least it can save you some getting lost in the first bit of the game.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I'll add more for Persona 5, mostly in regards to NG+:

- Although the best way to run the game the first time is totally blind, I highly suggest finishing at least the Sun, Moon, Tower, Fortune, Temperance, and Strength. These arcana will provide the most benefit in your first and subsequent playthroughs.
- The Death arcana sells an accessory that will restore SP on the equipped character's turn. It is worth 100,000 yen to start, but you get a 50% discount at Rank 7. This item will make it easily possible to complete a palace in only one day.
-The Star arcana has several good abilities, but only one of them carries over to NG+. You'll have to earn them back again.
-The Strength arcana can only be completed after you reach level 51. In NG+, you can immediately go from Rank 1-10 if you registered and resummoned all the Persona that they ask to see.
-The Sun arcana has an ability that sometimes guarantees a shadow will join you when you ask it. This always works, regardless of if the Shadow is a higher level than you.
- Fortune has an ability that gives you free points for a confidant of your choice for 5000 yen per day (except during rainy days). This is almost required for maxing all confidants in one run without a guide.
- Temperance ability spoilers: Temperance can make curry and coffee for you once you learn from Hierophant, and do your laundry for 5000 yen per night so you don't use your time up. At Rank 10 it becomes free and you get the ability to call them to give you a massage so you can go out at night after a trip to a palace or Mementos. Abuse the hell out of this. Have her make you coffee or curry every night that you don't need to hang out with Hierophant. (Because he becomes inaccessible that night if you call Temperance for coffee or curry)
- When you're on your last day, you'll have the opportunity to meet with all your Confidants again. Any Confidants you maxed out will give you a key item that carries over to NG+. These items unlock certain abilities for that arcana regardless of what rank it's at. It will also make that Arcana's strongest persona permanently available to fuse.
-Party member key item abilities are mostly meh and don't unlock their second persona. You'll have to work on them again.
-If you chose to romance one of the girls, she will give you a special key item for Christmas that will make her rank up faster in subsequent playthroughs. This is independent of her max rank key item, so make sure you get that too.
-If you finished Strength, you can immediately fuse any persona regardless of level for a scaling fee in NG+. Don't do this. Chances are you'll have plenty of money, but because you can't get a good arcana burst without confidant ranks all those shiny new personas get no bonus XP. Hold off on fusing new high-level personas until the endgame where your confidants are as high as you could have gotten them and the fusion fees are much smaller or non-existent.
-This however does not apply to your previously registered insanely high-level personas that you had at the end of your first playthrough however. Feel free to summon those immediately for shits and giggles. They aren't even that expensive.

Weapons and items

- All your items except consumables (i.e. healing and SP items) will carry over to NG+. Ideally, you want to get the best gear for your characters before completing NG so you can start completely decked out, however you probably won't be able to.
-The best weapons and guns for each character come from Itemizing the strongest persona in each arcana. However these require certain special items as a catalyst, and chances are you just won't collect enough to cover all your party members. It's really not a big deal. But as previously mentioned, resummoning registered personas isn't expensive so go nuts. The only caveat is that you can only itemize one persona per game day.
- Most of the skill cards are useless because you can just fuse better personas, except for a few you can get through finishing requests and Itemizing high-end persona. The Emperor arcana can make copies of any skill card after a certain rank.
- When you have max Proficiency and get the chance to make infiltration tools during class, there's a very high chance that you'll make 3 of that tool. I prefer to make lockpicks in class every time when possible.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Something for Tyranny that I just discovered which is making it way easier to stay invested; the numpad +/- buttons control gameplay speed in and out of combat. Putting everything at max speed is really helpful for exploring and at least personally, makes the early game combat far more tolerable since you're only waiting 2 seconds between actions instead of 4.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
Anyone have any useful beginner tips for No Man's Sky?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

homewrecker posted:

Anyone have any useful beginner tips for No Man's Sky?

I've only been playing for a few hours myself, but:

1) Press UP on the DPAD and build a Signal Booster, then ask it where you can find a Drop Pod. Drop Pods contain items that incresae your suit inventory, though you need to pay a little to use them.
2) Colony Outposts (also from the Signal Booster) give you access to blueprints and things, which are also important
3) Minable resources to keep in the early game:

Plutonium
Thamium9
Heridium
Platinum (you only need a little to build signal boosters)
Zinc (you only need a little to build warp fuel)

Also useful are:

Iron (Fuels your pulse drive Do not run out of this or you can be stranded in deep space)
Carbon

But they tend to be almost everywhere, so you can mine them on demand.

4) Other minable resources can be sold to free up space until you actually find a blueprint that needs them.
5) When you find a nice planet which doesn't have some awful environment hazard and a lot of the ingredients from 3, set up a home base (use a Signal Bootser to find a good site). The home base is actually a big quest chain which unlocks lots of useful stuff, including the ability to grow your own resources and store excess stuff.
6) Spam the scanner when flying round in space a few times, it will locate interesting sights for you to find.
7) You can't give an alien an item unless it's in your suit inventory, not your ship inventory
8) Always be: Making friends with aliens, learning alien words, mining stuff you can sell
9) If you see an alien ship you can always talk to the owner to buy it from them. This is the best way to get more spaceship cargo room.
10) If you find a mining tool or derelict ship with damaged slots, you need to pay units to fix them. Fixing slots can get absurdly expensive, so its often not worth going for it, even if the item is a huge upgrade.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 08:32 on May 23, 2017

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Starpoint Gemini 2?

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Gerblyn posted:

I've only been playing for a few hours myself, but:

Excellent, thanks so much, this really helps.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It seems pretty straight forward but Hollow Knight?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Anyone have any tips for Farming Simulator 2017 that isn't covered in the wiki?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The info in Tales of Berseria seems a little sparse, and I'm considering picking it up, so I had a few questions:

Is it necessary to have played any of the Tales games prior to find this one enjoyable? I mostly became aware of this because a couple streamers I watched used it as the game they played while in queue for another game. Is the combat real time? It always looked it, but I couldnt tell if it was that or if they were queueing commands fast, or what. It looked action-rpg-y, like some weird hybrid, and it looked awesome.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Zaodai posted:

The info in Tales of Berseria seems a little sparse, and I'm considering picking it up, so I had a few questions:

Is it necessary to have played any of the Tales games prior to find this one enjoyable? I mostly became aware of this because a couple streamers I watched used it as the game they played while in queue for another game. Is the combat real time? It always looked it, but I couldnt tell if it was that or if they were queueing commands fast, or what. It looked action-rpg-y, like some weird hybrid, and it looked awesome.

It's realtime. You set your skills to different buttons and build combos that way. As to your other question, most Tales games are standalone with some shared elements, much like Final Fantasy, but Berseria specifically is a prequel to Zestiria and some of the jokes and character bits may not work as well if you haven't played that one. Unfortunately Zestiria is terrible, so you might as well skip it and just not worry too much about that stuff. The stories are a thousand years apart anyway so it doesn't really matter.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

In Far Cry 4 (I'll edit in more if/when I remember them) (Feel free to edit these down for the wiki)

If you're the type to drive somewhere (I usually walk so i can hunt animals and collectibles) set a waypoint on the map and then click the left stick to have the vehicle automatically drive you to your waypoint.

Being inside a vehicle will only provide moderate protection from Asian Rhinos.

juliuspringle fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 25, 2017

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Item for Ghost Recon: Wildlands that isn't too obvious:

Your AI teammates will teleport into a vehicle if you drive away without them. If a situation is really lovely and you're trying to peel out you don't have to sit around and get shot up waiting for your dudes you can just leave and they'll appear. The same goes for vehicles without enough seats for your whole squad. When you get off a motorbike for instance, the rest of the squad will teleport to you.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Question for Bloodborne: are there false walls like in Dark Souls that need to be hit or activated?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Question for Bloodborne: are there false walls like in Dark Souls that need to be hit or activated?

Yes, there are at least a couple I can recall from the Let's Play I watched. You can hit them or roll into them.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

RatHat posted:

It seems pretty straight forward but Hollow Knight?
The only permanently missable things are two lategame bestiary entries, it should be obvious once you enter the area they are in. Just dive in and start exploring.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

I think full-on illusory walls like what you're thinking of are kept to the Chalice dungeons, and that the only hidden paths like that in the main game are behind objects that make more natural sense to try striking.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.
Anything for Metro 2033: Last Light (redux)? I know there's a morality system, and you should only knock people out. Also to listen to all conversations. Any point where you need to kill anyone?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

There is never a point where you need to kill a HUMAN. Feel free to murder the monsters.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

There is never a point where you need to kill a HUMAN. Feel free to murder the monsters.

Word, thanks. Any general advice? did you enjoy it?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Last light is far more tolerant of human murder, especially if A) they are bad but not named characters and B) if you do enough good stuff too.

Generally avoid a fight if you can and you'll be fine. Also explore.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Truecon420 posted:

Word, thanks. Any general advice? did you enjoy it?

Spiders are afraid of fire and hurt by lamp light. as an aside: gently caress spiders.

disclaimer - I haven't played redux, just the regular version. Most of the game is stealth, but once the monsters have seen you you whip out the shotgun and blow them to kingdom come. Try to explore a lot, there's many ammo and supply caches hidden around. when it comes to humans, darkness is your friend (shoot out the lights with a silent weapon), if npcs are chatting to each other it almost always pays to listen to the end of the conversation. You can do the knock out move on humans by sneaking up on them.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

Taerkar posted:

Last light is far more tolerant of human murder, especially if A) they are bad but not named characters and B) if you do enough good stuff too.

Generally avoid a fight if you can and you'll be fine. Also explore.

That makes sense, thanks. Should I try the "Survival mode" or is it annoying in its ammo limits?

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Are there any permanently missable bobbleheads or magazines in Fallout 4?

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I bet this has been asked a million times, but what is the best way to manage Materia in FF7? After 20 years I downloaded it to my phone (I know I know but I have a lot downtime late at work) and, to my surprise, I'm enjoying it. Despite it's age it has really held up. Only other FF game I ever played was VIII and that was way back when it first came out, so it is not like I'm a mega-fan of the genre.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I bet this has been asked a million times, but what is the best way to manage Materia in FF7? After 20 years I downloaded it to my phone (I know I know but I have a lot downtime late at work) and, to my surprise, I'm enjoying it. Despite it's age it has really held up. Only other FF game I ever played was VIII and that was way back when it first came out, so it is not like I'm a mega-fan of the genre.

What do you mean "manage" materia? You can easily beat the game so long as you know that if two materia slots are connected it means two effects can be combined (well, only a blue+offense materia) so if you combine all+cure for instance you get a full party heal spell and otherwise loadup your characters with materia you like.

Assuming you just plan to beat the game and not like, destroy it over your knee, you know.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Solaris 2.0 posted:

The only real "trick" to materia is this: if you have multiple of the same materia, all hooked up to different support materia, then using the attack ability will trigger all the support matera attached to each version of the attack.

As in: if you have [Fira=All], [Fira=HP Absorb] and [Fira=MP Absorb] all on the same character, then casting Fira will trigger the All, HP Absorb, and MP Absorb support abilities on the attack.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Barudak posted:

What do you mean "manage" materia? You can easily beat the game so long as you know that if two materia slots are connected it means two effects can be combined (well, only a blue+offense materia) so if you combine all+cure for instance you get a full party heal spell and otherwise loadup your characters with materia you like.

Assuming you just plan to beat the game and not like, destroy it over your knee, you know.

Yea pretty much the combinations, and I couldn't find anything online if it mattered what characters got what materia. So far it seems like it doesn't matter, just make sure your Materia slots are filled. (Sorry I am really inexperienced with JRPGs)

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Truecon420 posted:

That makes sense, thanks. Should I try the "Survival mode" or is it annoying in its ammo limits?

In my experience the increased lethality of survival mode means that as long as you are not trigger happy you should be fine. The biggest pet peeve I have is that an entire clip of five or ten rounds will sometimes only give you one.

Caveat though is that I tend to be very frugal with ammo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Yea pretty much the combinations, and I couldn't find anything online if it mattered what characters got what materia. So far it seems like it doesn't matter, just make sure your Materia slots are filled. (Sorry I am really inexperienced with JRPGs)

FFVII is not a hard game, any real experimentation with Materia combos will likely involve the words "snapping the game's difficulty over your knee" before long. The real Fun way to do it is to get the Enemy Skill Materia (First one is in the Shinra lab where you meet Red XIII) and go learn all the obscenely powerful spells from various enemy monsters when they're cast on you (eg; Beta from the Midgar Zolom). Or just make yourself nigh-unkillable with a Manipulate Materia (Cait Sith comes with one) by getting Beach Plugs on the Coral Area Shoreline to cast Big Guard on the party so as to learn it.

Hell, you can just see through the entire game with with Tifa, Barret and Cloud without ever using anyone else if you want to. Mandatory party sections aside, of course.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 26, 2017

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

owl_pellet posted:

There is one bobblehead that can only be accessed after a Brotherhood of Steel quest. But that quest is before their 'choose a faction' point. In Fort Strong when you need to secure the mininukes.

For magazines I am uncertain.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Solaris 2.0 posted:

A lot of the materia also affects the necessary stats. If you want a mage for example, load their slots up with magic materia. It will increase their magic and MP, and the cost of their str and HP.

Character choice matters very little, and you can pick who you want based on limit breaks or other factors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

owl_pellet posted:

The only point at which you can be permanently locked out of a location is if you piss off a faction. You can't return to the Prydwn after making the Brotherhood hostile. As for the Institute, you can't zap back in if you anger them. You do return to the Institute at the end of the other faction's main quest,s but I'm not sure if you have full access to the map at that point.

All the magazines and the non-SPECIAL bobbleheads have a tiny effect, so I wouldn't worry overmuch about missing one.