Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I didn't actually know where to ask, but since it's for Fiesta prep this seems like the right place - is there still a goon that will replace GBASP screens? I have the awesome NES-skinned GBASP... but it's model AGS-001 so it's got the bad backlight and a little bit of dust has crept in besides. If anyone knows a reliable source, you can PM me or just post or whatever. Want to upgrade my Fiesta machine :3:

I bought a kit for next to nothing on Amazon for last year's Fiesta that included a new shell, buttons, screen, battery, and even a little tri-wing screwdriver. It's not a tough job at all--the only really hard part is the guddamn hinges. Those things are a bitch to get set correctly.

Grab ya a set of jeweler's screwdrivers and a new screen and you can have it done in under an hour (minus time spent screaming at the hinges).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I bought a kit for next to nothing on Amazon for last year's Fiesta that included a new shell, buttons, screen, battery, and even a little tri-wing screwdriver. It's not a tough job at all--the only really hard part is the guddamn hinges. Those things are a bitch to get set correctly.

Grab ya a set of jeweler's screwdrivers and a new screen and you can have it done in under an hour (minus time spent screaming at the hinges).
Oh, that's actually sweet. Can you point me to one of those?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Oh, that's actually sweet. Can you point me to one of those?

This will point you toward some options. I didn't see any with actual screens when I looked, though--just the screen lenses. I imagine that stuff is getting harder and harder to find.

If you've got the extra scratch, you could buy a beat up GBASP on eBay and do a full case swap with one of those kits and end up with a brand-new-looking handheld without having to risk damaging your original NES-themed one. That's essentially what I did--found one for a song on craigslist because its case and screen lens were scratched to hell and just swapped everything out.

If you do go for it, be careful and patient with the work, and maybe keep some baggies or other small containers around to keep track of the screws/little parts/etc. Some of the screws you'll be taking out are tiny. If you end up stuck or needing advice while you're mid-teardown/rebuild, shoot me a PM with a photo of where you're at and I'll try to help.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Is the "best" guide in the OP? You know, the freelancer one on GameFAQs that got a CarbyBot command at my urging last year. That guide "rules".

Break Rods Break Rods Break Rods Break Rods.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Exercu posted:

Break Rods Break Rods Break Rods Break Rods.

It also advises levelling up to 8 for Wing Raptor. You know, that tutorial boss who can be trivially beaten at the starting level of 3 by holding down 'A', during which you don't have any classes anyway.

That said, I just noticed that FAQ was written in '04. The writer is probably an accomplished, published author in his 30s now who'd be wondering why a bunch of grown-rear end idiots on an old irrelevant internet forum are making fun of a faq he wrote as a kid.

Whatever, still funny.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I haven't used the job fair, and I have a question. Just theoretically, if one were completely insane and masochistic, would it be possible to intentionally job fair into quadzerkers?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I haven't used the job fair, and I have a question. Just theoretically, if one were completely insane and masochistic, would it be possible to intentionally job fair into quadzerkers?

If you got the dosh and the heart to donate to kids, by all means quadzerk away. Or find that secret command if you so desire.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah, I don't think anything would stop you. I'm pretty sure it would only be four dollars, to boot.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Unless the Job Fair's changed, I don't think you can actually. You can set your Water crystal job to Berserker, but that's it. I guess if you get Berserker as your Wind, Fire and Earth jobs you could do it but I don't think that's possible with any of the Fiesta's modes.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
The job fair might be changed. It seems a little silly to limit it by crystal given the existence of chaos and purechaos.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I could've sworn last year he did open it up; the only restriction was that Mime/Freelancer were still Earth-only.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

It'll be nice to do the Fiesta this year and finish a second run without real life poo poo hitting the fan.

I never got round to even starting my Pure Chaos run last year and I've never actually used a chemist in FFV before

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Kyrosiris posted:

I could've sworn last year he did open it up; the only restriction was that Mime/Freelancer were still Earth-only.

I switched a team to all-Freelancers last year so not even that.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Mountaineer posted:

The job fair might be changed. It seems a little silly to limit it by crystal given the existence of chaos and purechaos.

I think you just had to manually put the tweet together because the Job Fair page isn't/wasn't set up to do it for you.

IIRC everything goes manually through RK anyway so as long as he can parse out what you want to do & that you've made the appropriate donation, he can make it so.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Woooooo it's back!

there's no chance I do 10 runs again this year but I look forward to a reg700 purechaos berserkerrisk first run

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Poque posted:

Woooooo it's back!

there's no chance I do 10 runs again this year but I look forward to a reg700 purechaos berserkerrisk first run

This but probably without the 750 parse. As fun as it is, boy howdy do I not want Quadzerk Happy Fun Times.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Whoops, I meant 750. Getting a mage along with any number of berserkers is always nice.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'll go ahead and link some good stuff too. Caves of Narshe (https://www.cavesofnarshe.com/ff5/) It has a pretty extensive walkthrough, along with job/ability information, good stuff to steal from enemies, and stuff like boss status vulnerabilities. You can even switch between GBA and PSX enemy/ability/item names on the fly with a toggle button on the left side of the site. It's mostly good although it does have some slight errors every once in a while (Atomos is immune to Old, Djibriel! TIME SLIP IS USELESS AGAINST IT!) but I still usually keep the walkthrough open during my playthroughs.

Fixed this, thanks for the heads up. Let us know if you see other errors that we can address!

Poque fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 23, 2017

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Woah you're part of the Caves of Narsh? Thats awesome.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Let's see if I get something besides Water Crystal jobs this year!

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

theshim posted:

Pff, water is all you need.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

poo poo yeah, FJF thread. I'm terrible about actually completing it so my friend and I are going to cooperatively do a Classic run and probably record it since he tends to do a good three or four various runs of the Fiesta each year.

Always wondered if there's any interest in a longplay type thing like that, with the obvious grindy sections edited out unless they come out with something decent in them.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

theshim posted:

Your wish is granted: four geomancers!

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

My hopes for Fiesta 2017:

-Actually rolling a loving Mystic Knight, none so far in my 14 runs over the past 2 years.
-Not burning out and finishing all the runs I start this time.
-Something stupid to toxx my money on again.
-Actually rolling 3 zerks in my risk run instead of 2 my past 2 years.
-No loving Red Mages (Looking forward to Zerk/Zerk/Red/Red for my first run.)

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Hell yeah, this year I'll join for sure! I've been eyeballing this the past few years but never have found the courage to actually commit to it. FFV is probably my favorite game of the series I've never beaten so this sounds like a great excuse to actually complete it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Also it's looking like actually tweeting at Gilgabot, etc. won't be a necessary thing this year:

https://twitter.com/revenantkioku/status/863359878659588096

Pretty exciting!

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

Also it's looking like actually tweeting at Gilgabot, etc. won't be a necessary thing this year:

Pretty exciting!

Wow the future looks amaze balls.

Which makes my practice run of BlackMage/RedMage/Bard/Chemist seem not so grand.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kyrosiris posted:

Pretty exciting!
Is that gonna be finished in time for this year? That rules.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Is that gonna be finished in time for this year? That rules.

Man I hope so. OAuth logins are already working for looking at your past history, so I imagine it's just the other rigging.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Detheros posted:

My hopes for Fiesta 2017:

-Actually rolling a loving Mystic Knight, none so far in my 14 runs over the past 2 years.
-Not burning out and finishing all the runs I start this time.

Ditto for these with me, though in my case I need me some Time Mage; 21 runs (out of 24 in total, but two were No750s and one was Classic) where I could've been assigned one or more TIMs and not a one to show for it, except for the two I Job Fair'd for. Let's see if we can break that little streak, Gilgabot! :argh:

That said I'm looking forward to the changes. In particular I want to see the improved victory approvals RK mentioned on kickstarter. I may have to kick in some funds for that, I hate it when I'm jonesin' for a new run and have to wait 20 hours for RK to approve a victory.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

I haven't played FFV before, looking forward to taking part in this :)

What's the GBA emulator of choice these days?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Cheap Trick posted:

I haven't played FFV before, looking forward to taking part in this :)

What's the GBA emulator of choice these days?

A Game Boy Micro.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I use VBA-M. I know there was some other emulator that a few people suggested, but at the least VBA-M has some nice features like turbo mode/speedup/RAM watch that are situationally useful.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
I'd suggest Bizhawk, actually; it has Lua scripting, though I'm not sure how good it is for GBA games.

(OpenEmu is a thing if you're on a Mac, but doesn't have Lua, unfortunately.)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I still use Visual Boy Advance *shrug*

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Me too. Its been great for what, a decade? 15 years?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yeah, I'm using VBA-M with RetroArch as a frontend.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I traditionally play on my phone with My Boy.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Khisanth Magus posted:

I traditionally play on my phone with My Boy.

I want to learn how to do this.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

widespread posted:

I want to learn how to do this.

I'm going to recommend you only emulate on your phone if you have external storage capability. Roms and saves will eat up your memory fast. Anyways, MyBoy! is easy enough to find in app stores. I have the free version, which doesn't have the bells and whistles, like savestates or whatever, but that's okay. It's pretty straightforward, and phone emulators usually assume you're going to control the games via touch screen overlay (usually transparent), though I've discovered that even better is to buy a bluetooth gamepad (they aren't expensive) as most emulators are compatible with them. I recommend one that comes with a clip to secure your phone to the pad, as that's easier than trying to juggle the two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Choco1980 posted:

I'm going to recommend you only emulate on your phone if you have external storage capability. Roms and saves will eat up your memory fast. Anyways, MyBoy! is easy enough to find in app stores. I have the free version, which doesn't have the bells and whistles, like savestates or whatever, but that's okay. It's pretty straightforward, and phone emulators usually assume you're going to control the games via touch screen overlay (usually transparent), though I've discovered that even better is to buy a bluetooth gamepad (they aren't expensive) as most emulators are compatible with them. I recommend one that comes with a clip to secure your phone to the pad, as that's easier than trying to juggle the two.

...we are talking about a GBA game here. The ROM and saves are so small they aren't even noticeable on any modern phone. Like, a GBA rom is usually around 10 MB and saves are in the 100s of Kbs range.

Do you have a potato for a phone?

• Locked thread