Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Internet Explorer posted:

This is one of the most disgusting justifications for rolling out a technology that I have ever heard.

I can think of a lot more disgusting justifications for rolling things out at the office TYVM

how about deploying sharepoint for other people to use and someone else to maintain on premise.. thats pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

sneakyfrog posted:

I can think of a lot more disgusting justifications for rolling things out at the office TYVM

how about deploying sharepoint for other people to use and someone else to maintain on premise.. thats pretty bad.

I'm Hitler

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

sneakyfrog posted:

We're forced to maintain a lovely system that was purchased and pushed onto everyone by our Norwegian branch, with the reason for going with that system (over many other more qualified products) was that they thought it was made by a Norwegian company.

e: It isn't.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 23, 2017

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

even hitler wouldnt deploy sharepoint.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Internet Explorer posted:

This is one of the most disgusting justifications for rolling out a technology that I have ever heard.

Eh, we're a non-profit and saving money on monthly expenditures is good. Also, FreePBX is insanely well-documented, and I wrote up the necessary documentation so that a layperson at work could do all the easy stuff without me. It's just that no one else wants to do that stuff, so they leave it to me.

In all, I've pushed these initiatives (and more) at work. Yes, they increase complexity and make having technically-competent people around necessary, but they have tangible benefits in reducing downtime or cost:

Linksys E4200 -> pfSense system for routing and firewalling
Microwave AP -> CAT6 for connecting satellite buildings
Consumer routers for WiFi -> Ubiquiti APs
Analog capture card-based surveillance system -> IP-camera Blue Iris-based system
POTS lines / phones -> FreePBX and IP phones
(TOO MANY) Real servers -> fewer virtualized servers
On-site weekly backup -> daily off-site backup

And yeah, I'm basically the only person who knows how to manage it all. But it's all well-documented in case I ever leave. I think the increased complexity is the price you pay for better capability.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

sneakyfrog posted:

Hi folks,

So, My PBX system is lame and old. It isnt tied into my crm and erp and doesnt have all the gee whizz bang features that get me easy raises. Anyone have opinions on Digium, Asterisk or any sip type PBX systems good or bad?

The one we use (hosted) is based on Asterisk and it's absolutely not out of the box ready for plugging into anything unless you're a whizz bang programmer, however it's a few APIs and such that the Dev company who built/maintains our CRM have managed to build a connector with limited controls over it (Screen pop/click to dial/etc).

All I can do to describe it is; it's a phone system, it works
https://www.ipcortex.co.uk/index.rhtm

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

I was at a small business today. Read their news feed on the intranet because why not.

A couple weeks ago someone wrote 'hey guyz I made a powershell script repository so we don't all reinvent the wheel twice a week so if you've got anything nice throw it in there.'

this is a decent idea, even if you're just moving stackoverflow answers to a network location. But where would be the best place to put them? That it's powershell might be a hint. Think hard. It's the age of disruption, baby. The answer is so disruptive that it's probably best to stop reading if you get angry really easily

he put it on Yammer :negative: of course it's empty

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Potato Salad posted:

Largest customer is hopefully just going to do away with landlines altogether.

I don't get why I don't see this solution literally everywhere: everyone in the office has a personal mobile phone, so give them an office number to forward to their cell, pay whatever % of their phone bill (if you're not already), easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

I don't get why I don't see this solution literally everywhere: everyone in the office has a personal mobile phone, so give them an office number to forward to their cell, pay whatever % of their phone bill (if you're not already), easy peasy lemon squeezy.

People make calls from their personal cell, comes up as personal number. Also, idiots will just put their personal number on everything instead of the work number.

Likes lot of things it works great in a perfect world where people follow rules, but this isn't that world.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Ok since I was moaning about Server licensing, what's the best way to getting ahold of Server 2012 R2?
From what I've been told you can't really buy it anymore but instead go down the path of buying 2016 but using downgrade rights to 2012.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

How do you guys manage remote machines that don't regularly connect to a DC?

Checking stuff like windows updates across ~40 laptops most of which probably aren't in the office on a given day is becoming a real pain.

Are any of the RMM products (Ninja, N-Central, Kaseya, Atera LabTech etc) actually good?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

InTune if it's a Windows 10 client, DirectAccess and domain joined if not.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Super Slash posted:

Ok since I was moaning about Server licensing, what's the best way to getting ahold of Server 2012 R2?
From what I've been told you can't really buy it anymore but instead go down the path of buying 2016 but using downgrade rights to 2012.

If you already have a valid MAK in your VLSC for 2012 R2 you can buy 2016 and downgrade. Otherwise no dice. Downgrade rights are kinda weird.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

sneakyfrog posted:

even hitler wouldnt deploy sharepoint.
We all know Hitler is an IBM customer. He'd use Notes databases and Connections.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Old Binsby posted:

he put it on Yammer :negative: of course it's empty

I've tried really hard to find a reason to like Yammer. None found.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Welllll, or you deploy mobile phones. Some businesses cannot maintain nonprofit status and provide that kind of fringe benefit without (relatively) massive penalties.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Potato Salad posted:

Welllll, or you deploy mobile phones. Some businesses cannot maintain nonprofit status and provide that kind of fringe benefit without (relatively) massive penalties.

Can you elaborate on that? I currently work for a non profit, and I am trying to get them to give me a company phone. Instead they only offer reimbursement.

24/7 contact really makes me want to have to separation of devices.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

And the phone is supposed to still be yours for personal use?

Eeeeeuh don't stir the pot, perhaps.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Potato Salad posted:

And the phone is supposed to still be yours for personal use?

Eeeeeuh don't stir the pot, perhaps.

My own phone is my personal phone. They provide an additional stipend to pay for it so they can call 24/7.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Beefstorm posted:

My own phone is my personal phone. They provide an additional stipend to pay for it so they can call 24/7.

That's a taxable fringe benefit that the employer needs to report in your annual income. Accountants at nonprofits notoriously get this wrong. IRS guidance 15-B mentions phones:

IRS posted:

Employer-provided cell phones
Exempt if provided primarily for noncompensatory business purposes.

You can give someone a phone that is used primarily for work. In my current state, that has shaken out to mean that more hours are spent in business apps and communication than Facebook, news, personal calls etc :newlol:

A stipend, however, isn't covered in this exclusion as the phone--the widget itself--and its service are primarily for personal use. Your stipend needs to be reported as income by your employer and appropriately withheld.

Half the nonprofits I've come across, whether they're paying stipends on cell service or are looking at doing so, get this wrong. The IT guy shouldn't be informing accountants how to interpret tax law, but there you go.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Potato Salad posted:

That's a taxable fringe benefit that the employer needs to report in your annual income. Accountants at nonprofits notoriously get this wrong. IRS guidance 15-B mentions phones:

You can give someone a phone that is used primarily for work. In my current state, that has shaken out to mean that more hours are spent in business apps and communication than Facebook, news, personal calls etc :newlol:

A stipend, however, isn't covered in this exclusion as the phone--the widget itself--and its service are primarily for personal use. Your stipend needs to be reported as income by your employer and appropriately withheld.

Half the nonprofits I've come across, whether they're paying stipends on cell service or are looking at doing so, get this wrong. The IT guy shouldn't be informing accountants how to interpret tax law, but there you go.

I told them the same thing when they figured it was just covered, or that yeah if you stock a fridge with food and drinks for the employees uh yeah guys thats a taxable fringe benefit please plan that out well.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

beyond reporting income, I'm not able to explain how the fringe benefit can gently caress up things at a higher level for nonprofits.

Oh, and if you guys receive grants, just loving lol at the idea of some living wage accountant at a little nonprofit interpreting 2 CFR 200 reporting requirements for directly billable cost reporting and nonexempt fringe benefits correctly.

This is the cost of accountability in government, though. In one hand the administrative learning curve is steep and overhead of managing all this is high, in the other we don't see nearly as much public money fraud, waste, and graft as we have in the past.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

sneakyfrog posted:

I told them the same thing when they figured it was just covered, or that yeah if you stock a fridge with food and drinks for the employees uh yeah guys thats a taxable fringe benefit please plan that out well.

"But you can provide cafeteria plans! Says it right here" [points to section on pretax benefits]

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Potato Salad posted:

When I worked for a charity they gave everyone in IT a phone (Nextel blackberry :allears:)

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Potato Salad posted:

The IT guy shouldn't be informing accountants how to interpret tax law, but there you go.

I take it there is no real appropriate way for the IT guy to tell the accountants they are wrong and they should give me a phone.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Beefstorm posted:

I take it there is no real appropriate way for the IT guy to tell the accountants they are wrong and they should give me a phone.

If you're "required" to take the stipend and want a separate phone, then buy a suitable phone, write it off as an unreimbursed business expense, and use the stipend to pay for pre-paid service for it.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Beefstorm posted:

I just stopped answering work calls on my personal phone period, for some reason that message was heard loud and clear

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It seems pretty trivial for carriers to link a single SIM to two numbers, and have a prefix for dialling out. They don't seem that bothered about offering it though.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

SamDabbers posted:

If you're "required" to take the stipend and want a separate phone, then buy a suitable phone, write it off as an unreimbursed business expense, and use the stipend to pay for pre-paid service for it.

i'd love to tell my employer they've burned through their 30 dollars in prepaid support.

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round
Does Microsoft still do a MSDN package where I just get a bunch of keys for Windows, Office etc ?

I've been asked to price up properly licencing our offices, to cover Windows7 / 10 and the various flavours of Office that we use.

what would be the best way to do this ? we have about 16 users here, spread over two locations, one AD server (which will be replaced soon with 2016 hopefully)

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Assuming you have 16 developers, yes. Using it for anything other than development is a big no-no though. Here's the info:

https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/pricing/

Best way to do MS products is go subscription based and buy everything through O365. I'd even do 10 Enterprise and pay for it month-to-month at $6 a pop.

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

milk milk lemonade posted:

Assuming you have 16 developers, yes. Using it for anything other than development is a big no-no though. Here's the info:

https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/pricing/

Best way to do MS products is go subscription based and buy everything through O365. I'd even do 10 Enterprise and pay for it month-to-month at $6 a pop.

cool, thanks for the info :)

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Aight really this is a networking question but I don't really know where to post it, I want to isolate our public WLAN from the network.

Time ago we moved office and roped in our MSP to do a lot of setup some of which was getting a wireless network up and going, problem is we have two SSIDs (Private and Public) which aren't isolated and on the same network so any visitor who gets on the guest network could go hog wild on our stuff.

The brief layout is;
Cisco Router connected to HP Aruba 2530 Switch
Win 2012r2 DHCP Server connected to HP Aruba 2530 Switch
x2 Draytek Vigor AP800 Access Points connected to HP Aruba 2530 Switch

What I've got in mind is for the access points to set their LAN-B for the public SSID, patch them to the switch, create a VLAN on the switch for the AP, create a new scope and subnet in DHCP, set an IP helper on the switch pointing towards the new subnet for the VLAN. Does that sound like a good start? I asked the MSP about it but they suggested getting another NIC for the server host machine?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Super Slash posted:

Aight really this is a networking question but I don't really know where to post it, I want to isolate our public WLAN from the network.

Time ago we moved office and roped in our MSP to do a lot of setup some of which was getting a wireless network up and going, problem is we have two SSIDs (Private and Public) which aren't isolated and on the same network so any visitor who gets on the guest network could go hog wild on our stuff.

The brief layout is;
Cisco Router connected to HP Aruba 2530 Switch
Win 2012r2 DHCP Server connected to HP Aruba 2530 Switch
x2 Draytek Vigor AP800 Access Points connected to HP Aruba 2530 Switch

What I've got in mind is for the access points to set their LAN-B for the public SSID, patch them to the switch, create a VLAN on the switch for the AP, create a new scope and subnet in DHCP, set an IP helper on the switch pointing towards the new subnet for the VLAN. Does that sound like a good start? I asked the MSP about it but they suggested getting another NIC for the server host machine?

hey friend i just did this. Im going to echo the thread here and say ubiquiti gear is great, and make it easy to set up a nice isolated guest wifi. Gonna post my after action report on live in service domain migration from SBS poo poo to proper win 2016 servers if the thread doesnt mind

e: also keep in mind that windows licensing classifies anything that a WINDOWS DHCP server assigns an IP address to as a client for licensing purposes so unless you have an excess of user or device CALs its usually not preferred.

TehRedWheelbarrow fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jun 29, 2017

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The 2530 switches can be a DHCP server if you want to keep it off your Windows servers.

Edit: I am dumb and thought you wrote 2930. The 25xx series are strictly layer 2.

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!

Super Slash posted:

It sounds like someone didn't do a very good job of setting sane requirements. My rule number 1 with outside vendors, the contract requirements would have included this and are written with these:

The 24 count box is key as if you get up to the 64 count they'll start to invent places they think they can cut costs. This can vary, if it's Oracle or any ERP provider you need to downscale to the 8 color box (no you may not set the admin password for the 8 services that make up your accounting system all to the same dictionary word and then put it on the internet Mr. Sage ERP contractor and yes I do in fact know how to tell if you just put a 1 after it).

edit: Since I realized I was just making snarky bad jokes and not giving an actual suggestion, the easiest (read that as cheapest) solution would be to kick a vlan out specifically for the Guest WIFI AP. I'm not sure if the switch you mentioned does vlans but the Cisco definitely will. You should then block access at the router to anything except the internet.

You'll have to setup DHCP relaying from the new VLAN to your domain controller (or the router or switch might be able to do DHCP, not sure and too lazy to look it up), give it it's own subnet, and point it at some other DNS server so you aren't leaking internal DNS names to your guest network (unless you don't care or have a reason to give guests access to internal resources but not everything).

You may eventually want to look at getting a captive portal setup, though if you're small enough you could just rotate the guest wifi PSK once a month or setup Radius and make guest accounts that expire automatically (but only if you're willing to use the domain controller dns with your guest wifi, you'll also need to play with certs which you might not find out till you read a random blog post because Microsoft's documentation sucked the last time I set it up).

These arrangements (except maybe captive portal) would cost you a grand total of $0 outside of tech time.

Ganson fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 29, 2017

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Ganson posted:

It sounds like someone didn't do a very good job of setting sane requirements. My rule number 1 with outside vendors, the contract requirements would have included this and are written with these:
What probably contributed was an incredibly overbearing and since fired manager, a weekend install/office move at no extra pay, and time... and I actually get to do all over again this year in time for this October :q:

I did ponder having a separate DHCP server just for that little WLAN as there are options for it in the Drayteks, haven't tested it though.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

on some WAPs like ruckus and meraki you can do "network isolation" so it gets dhcp from your server but after that can only send traffic through the gateway to the internet. can't talk to other nodes on the lan. I have no idea how it works or how secure it is (probably "not very")

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Super Slash posted:

What probably contributed was an incredibly overbearing and since fired manager, a weekend install/office move at no extra pay, and time... and I actually get to do all over again this year in time for this October :q:

I did ponder having a separate DHCP server just for that little WLAN as there are options for it in the Drayteks, haven't tested it though.

do it. Microsoft audits are a colonoscopy if you dont have everything documented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!

Super Slash posted:

I figured, hence why I went through the trouble to go back and give a more real answer and less of a snarky prat (though the box of crayon rules still applies).

You probably don't need another DHCP server (though that would work). You can typically do a separate scope and just hook the relay up to it, at least on most DHCPD implementation on Windows/Linux I've worked on. Though I don't know your full arrangement so you would know better than me.