Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So I'm a fat gently caress and my current no-name chair is on its last legs; vinyl has been almost completely peeled off for over a year now, and the seat wobbles terrifyingly anytime I shift my weight.

So far I'm looking at this on Amazon. $180, 400lb rating (I'm ~350 and 6'5"). Are there good options for cheaper or is that about the price floor? Anyone use this one? I'm currently on an annoyingly small pad, some carpet-friendly casters would be nice as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013
I'm leaning towards getting a Leap. There are two links from ebay that I'm looking at, should I just go for the cheaper one?

$470 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/121882349228
$365 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/282483902548

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Whitest Russian posted:

I'm leaning towards getting a Leap. There are two links from ebay that I'm looking at, should I just go for the cheaper one?

$470 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/121882349228
$365 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/282483902548

The first one is from Madison Seating; I've seen them around, they seem to sell a lot of chairs, although I didn't end up buying mine from them because I found a unique one elsewhere. I see no reason not to go with the cheaper second listing, however, note that it's local pickup only, so that may or may not rule out that option.

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013
Madison Seating reviews aren't filling me with confidence. On eBay the chair is listed as : New other

quote:

A new, unused item with absolutely no signs of wear. The item may be missing the original packaging, or in the original packaging but not sealed. The item may be a factory second or a new, unused item with defects. See the seller's listing for full details and description of any imperfections.

Madison Seating reviews are saying they replace the fabric with cheap stuff though and their warranty doesn't cover armrests at all. I wonder if eBay will completely refund the cost Madison Seating is lying.

In any case, this leather used one looks alright:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/182509543745

On a side note does anyone know if Steelcase has a sale like Hermon Miller had?

Whitest Russian fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 22, 2017

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
My Staples chair literally fell apart under me today, so I need a new chair pronto as I'm now using an even shittier office chair I had in the basement. I found a used Aeron (size B) on Craigslist for $220. The guy said his uncle bought it about ten years ago. It looks good from the pictures, except the armrests are a little nasty so I might put something over them. What's good to look out for when buying a used Aeron?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

BJPaskoff posted:

What's good to look out for when buying a used Aeron?

Finding something other than an Aeron is on the top of the list.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Moey posted:

Finding something other than an Aeron is on the top of the list.

They were highly recommended in this thread until goons turned on them a few pages ago. But a friend recommended a furniture liquidator that has a showroom about a half hour from me, so I'm going to go there tomorrow and compared the Aeron, Leap, and a few others. The Leaps there are $250-350 used, which sounds like a good deal.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I don't care for Aerons myself, as they're a decades old design and you should be able to do better for the same money these days. Most of their popularity seems to stem from inertia than objective advantages over current designs. The usual baseline recommendation is the Ikea Markus for ~$200, so I would hesitate before jumping on a ten year old worn chair that costs more and is out of warranty.

That being said, your chair is a personal thing and different people have different needs. Maybe you have a large build and the Aeron is the best option available in your budget, or certain chairs exacerbate a health condition. At the end of the day you are the one that needs to be satisfied with your purchase, not us.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

BJPaskoff posted:

My Staples chair literally fell apart under me today, so I need a new chair pronto as I'm now using an even shittier office chair I had in the basement. I found a used Aeron (size B) on Craigslist for $220. The guy said his uncle bought it about ten years ago. It looks good from the pictures, except the armrests are a little nasty so I might put something over them. What's good to look out for when buying a used Aeron?

My Aeron just had both armrests basically fall off, and then the seat half fell off too. It was like ~6 years old/used, but I only had it for like 7 months. Maybe is just a fluke but I'd look at other chairs first imo.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Ikea Markus has a headrest. That alone makes it a better chair than the Aeron.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I don't think I would ever use a headrest on a desk chair, I also don't game if that makes a difference.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Moey posted:

I don't think I would ever use a headrest on a desk chair, I also don't game if that makes a difference.
I just marathoned through season 2 of Twin Peaks and a headrest would've made a world of difference.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Josh Lyman posted:

I just marathoned through season 2 of Twin Peaks and a headrest would've made a world of difference.

Ah yeah, I really don't watch tv/movies at my desk either. On a side note, just started S01 of Twin Peaks.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I bought an Ikea Markus. I tried it out in store and loved it, but when I got home, it sits a little higher than I'm used to even at the lowest setting. Maybe it's a good thing and I've had lovely posture in Staples bargain chairs for years, but we'll see. It's definitely super comfortable to lean back in; I can't imagine how comfortable a higher end chair like a Leap or Mirra-2 or DXRacer would feel, but this is what I can afford right now.

I don't think I can bring myself to buy a used chair. Something about it feels wrong.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I got an Embody; no regrets. During the wait for my order I started to worry since I had only sat in it for 5 minutes or so in the showroom, but it's been a month or two now and I absolutely love sitting in it.

I highly recommend that anyone on the fence shoot an email to their local HM dealer. I paid a local chair store a visit and then got a quote for an Embody with arms, better fabric, and the best casters ($1500) for about $1230. Then I saw that there was actually only 1 official HM dealer in my area, a different store that didn't really have an open showroom, so I just sent them an email asking for a quote. Their price was ~$1080, but the guy mentioned unprompted that they had a small business contract for certain specs only and they could do the order I wanted without the upgraded casters for $880.

I was looking at Mirras as a cheaper alternative because I really liked them when I went to the first store, but the prices I got quoted were 750-950ish which I though was kind of crazy for them. They sell real HM casters on Amazon so my final price for a $1500 Embody came out to about $940. Still quite expensive, but if it's that last 500 or so that's making you balk then I would recommend you don't get discouraged and contact some dealers.

Makes me wonder what the wholesale prices for these things are.

edit: HM also seems to be very conservative with wait times, chair showed up 4 weeks after order was confirmed. It's a wait, but on their site and from the stores it sounded more like it could be 6-8+.

Ror fucked around with this message at 07:20 on May 30, 2017

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Facebook reminded me that today is the 1 year anniversary of my Aeron.

A good chair.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
My Aeron is on its last ride.

Soon it will be time for me to find something else.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

My Aeron is on its last ride.

Soon it will be time for me to find something else.

I got mine used and i can't find one of those on it, but it still sits good.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
My Markus is way old and having some issues, and I just saw that WB Mason is having a sale on HON Lota series chairs.

That's pretty much Markus price, but with adjustable arms, which would be nice. Anybody hear about these things? I looked up reviews and they seem to fall into the same category as the Markus.

I'm in NYC so I should probably just try to buy a nicer, used chair but :effort:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
How old is that Markus? They do have a ten year warranty after all.

Some quick googling got me zero info on the HON warranty, which is kind of troubling. Even if you don't plan on using a warranty to make a repair claim it's a good way to get an idea on how long a product is likely to last. Maybe I was looking in the wrong places though.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

BJPaskoff posted:

I don't think I can bring myself to buy a used chair. Something about it feels wrong.

Have you ever sat in a chair/seat/whatever that someone else has sat in? (Ever gone to a movie theater?) Ever purchased a used car, etc.?

Buying a used chair is just like that (except you own it.)

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
For me, used computer chairs have an additional 'ick' factor since you know they've been marinaded nightly in the rear end sweat of a furtive redtube session.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

DoctorTristan posted:

For me, used computer chairs have an additional 'ick' factor since you know they've been marinaded nightly in the rear end sweat of a furtive redtube session.

Most of them are from offices...

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

VulgarandStupid posted:

Most of them are from offices...

Yeah that poo poo still happens a lot.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

You think that doesn't also happen in cars, on couches, in the theater (trust me :cool:) etc.? I mean I get where you're coming from, but of all the things that get covered in :gizz: it's way easier to clean/reupholster a chair than, say, a keyboard. Considering the price differential between a new and used version of the same office chair (like, half price or less,) I'm willing to take my chances. :shrug:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

isndl posted:

How old is that Markus? They do have a ten year warranty after all.

It may actually still be in the 10 years. I had it in my head as five for some reason. I'll have to call Ikea and see if they'll help me track down the purchase details and make a claim.

HON also seems to have a 12-year warranty on the important chair parts like the tube and controls: https://www.hon.com/warranty

Warrantying the Markus is definitely cheaper, though!

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 1, 2017

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
Can anyone recommend a HON chair to try? That is the only dealer anywhere near me.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I'm not sure if people know, but HM updated the Aerons in October 2016. The look is basically the same but they changed up how the tilting and back brace works, and also the geometry of the sitting mesh.

I've also found that many people complaining about the chair "cutting" their thighs are either One Fat Goon or sitting with the feet at the wrong height. It happened to me when I first sat in the new Aeron, then I realized I had just been sitting at the wrong height all these years and never knew.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Why does almost every streamer on twitch have a DX Racer chair? They do look tall and comfy, but are they comfy enough to warrant the off-the-charts ugliness? And do they only look tall because all the twitch streamers are children and I'm watching children?

I bought a used Aeron a few years ago because I thought that the mesh would prevent me from sweating through my shorts like I was with my previous huge leather chair. I definitely stay cooler in the Aeron, but I also moved almost immediately after buying it and I think it had more to do with being in a larger room.

I've also never considered my Aeron to be comfortable. I get lingering stiffness in my lowest back where my vestigial tail would be if I sit in it too long. I am definitely more comfortable in it when my feet are flat on the ground, but I have to lower the chair almost to the bottom for that, and then my desk always seems just a bit too tall.

Lately I been wondering what it would be like if I had a giant cushiony chair decked out in embarrassing colors. Pretty sweaty I bet.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Copper Vein posted:

Why does almost every streamer on twitch have a DX Racer chair? They do look tall and comfy, but are they comfy enough to warrant the off-the-charts ugliness? And do they only look tall because all the twitch streamers are children and I'm watching children?

I bought a used Aeron a few years ago because I thought that the mesh would prevent me from sweating through my shorts like I was with my previous huge leather chair. I definitely stay cooler in the Aeron, but I also moved almost immediately after buying it and I think it had more to do with being in a larger room.

I've also never considered my Aeron to be comfortable. I get lingering stiffness in my lowest back where my vestigial tail would be if I sit in it too long. I am definitely more comfortable in it when my feet are flat on the ground, but I have to lower the chair almost to the bottom for that, and then my desk always seems just a bit too tall.

Lately I been wondering what it would be like if I had a giant cushiony chair decked out in embarrassing colors. Pretty sweaty I bet.

I bolded one of the reasons, but also because they send a lot of popular twitch streamers these chairs for "review", they want people to see these chairs and buy them, it's a very cheap way to advertize.

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
At least one notable steamer does not like his and does not recommend it, he's also looking to replace it.

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

Jack Forge posted:

At least one notable steamer does not like his and does not recommend it, he's also looking to replace it.

by "looking to replace it" do you mean he's waiting for someone to send him a different free chair

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012

Jack_tripper posted:

by "looking to replace it" do you mean he's waiting for someone to send him a different free chair

Eh, he gets paid enough, but still. <reasons why I can't say more>

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
I have a dude bringing over a leap v2, used from CL. Anything in particular I should be checking besides basic functionality of height, lean and armrest adjustments?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Ammanas posted:

I have a dude bringing over a leap v2, used from CL. Anything in particular I should be checking besides basic functionality of height, lean and armrest adjustments?

The seat can also be adjusted forwards and backwards, it also has five settings for leaning, lean tension control and lumbar support adjustment.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The seat can also be adjusted forwards and backwards, it also has five settings for leaning, lean tension control and lumbar support adjustment.

The gentleman showed me all the cool poo poo. I don't get why these cost $950 but hell for $300 I hope it does better than what ive had before.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Ammanas posted:

The gentleman showed me all the cool poo poo. I don't get why these cost $950 but hell for $300 I hope it does better than what ive had before.

Mostly because they are built to last, I have an old Steelcase task chair that is still holding up and it's 25 years old, it was reupholstered once but that's it.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Copper Vein posted:

Just like other forms of social media influencers, twitch streamers get free products, because it's a form of advertising for the companies. Computer chairs, mouses, keyboards, headsets, monitors, and probably entire rigs.

Approved
Sep 8, 2003

Fun Shoe

ILikeVoltron posted:

The design is ancient, it's not for sitting in all day, it was originally a task chair. The loving thing gave me sciatic nerve damage. So yea, gently caress the Aeron. Read the Ergonomics section on the wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeron_chair

There's like a million reasons why this chair is horrible but people have it in their head it's the "high end chair for all things sitting!!!!!1"

Read, it's not.

Edit: Also, read this thread, many other people share this opinion but you might have to go back 20 pages or so.

Seconding this. I'm currently battling sciatic trouble from my Aeron at home and debating what to replace it with. Leap V2 at work is so much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have the (2016) updated Aeron and it's fine for me as an all-day chair, but I don't have an old one to compare against. If you're buying used it's all but guaranteed to be the old design which doesn't seem to work for some people.