Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

A question:

http://www.tssznews.com/2016/09/22/...w-exciting-way/

That's not new info, but since I haven't played Generations: Christian Whitehead has stated that Mania is going to be longer than Generations... so... how long was Generations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I want to say that Generations was six or seven levels (each with two acts, classic and modern) and a handful of bosses.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Nine levels, with three bosses and three rival battles.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Generations was nine stages and... six bosses, I think?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
and a bunch of challenge missions, and each zone had classic and modern versions.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
How the gently caress have I spent the past 20+ years not knowing you can skip over the underwater part in CPZ act 2? :psyduck:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I only learned it when the remake came out, to be fair.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

King Vidiot posted:

How the gently caress have I spent the past 20+ years not knowing you can skip over the underwater part in CPZ act 2? :psyduck:

I never would have found it on my own if I hadn't been told. It's pretty cleverly hidden.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Overbite posted:

Sounds like sonic mania was at e3 judges event so there will be some hot reveals during e3.

Get ready for some hot never before seen footage of Green Hill Zone with Knuckles instead!

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Nine levels, with three bosses and three rival battles.

That doesn't seem like a lot.

I know Sonic Mania is a freaking miracle and I'm not going to complain here.

But, for example, Rayman Origins is about 6 hours(ish) long if you just blaze through the levels and it's a fantastic, elaborate, beautiful, cleverly designed game that will make you smile from start to finish. So I was kinda wishing Sonic Mania would at least be comparable to that lenghtwise.

And BTW... now that I've mentioned it... the "bonus stages" in Rayman Origins involve running after a chest and those were incredibly fun to play. Running is pretty much what Sonic's "branding" is all about and it seems a bit bizarre to me that it's in Rayman that we get the kind of gameplay that'd be a perfect fit tor Sonic (not for main levels, I mean, but those would be cool as special stages of some kind).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EQ8QCPmryk

Andre Banzai fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 24, 2017

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Sorry, I meant nine zones, so eighteen levels in total. That seems like a fair number for a 2D Sonic even if they just match that number, especially since we'll be playing it multiple times over.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The treasure stages are great but they are basically rhythm games, not what I would like from a Sonic game at all.
If you want a game about running forward fast though, sure there are plenty of those. Mario, Rayman, bit.trip Runner...

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Interviews and quotes frame Mania as currently looking to be ten zones, four of which are new, six of which are remixes. The act 2s of the remixes are totally new maps though.

I believe it was supposed to be 12 (the % of new to old mathed out to 12 previously) but I think the game got shrunk a little.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Rolling>>>>>>>>>Running
is what I'm saying

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

I thought I didn't know what this was about, but I found a video and realized I did find this when I was younger and just forgot about it.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Augus posted:

The treasure stages are great but they are basically rhythm games, not what I would like from a Sonic game at all.
If you want a game about running forward fast though, sure there are plenty of those. Mario, Rayman, bit.trip Runner...

Yeah, I meant those as an example of cool special stages, something that could be adapted for a Sonic game in a way that would make sense, not straight copy. But that was just a thought, it's funny that Sonic doesn't have straight running/fast (special) stages.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

So apparently there's a leaked image for a new Sonic Mania level!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=237919389&postcount=3160

Source image:

Image below, taken from that photograph:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Andre Banzai fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 24, 2017

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Someone over at Sonic Retro treated the image a bit:

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Yo, it kinda resembles Egg Garden Zone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsFHfrfQEbM

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
hell yeah castle vania zone

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Sonic

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

sorry guys i have to finish this later my director came by and trust me he is ***no*** fan of sonic grrr...SIGH :mad:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

sorry guys i have to finish this later my director came by and trust me he is ***no*** fan of sonic grrr...SIGH :mad:

Show them this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zvavclgsp9k

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

hell yeah castle vania zone

It *feels* like Castlevania + Marble Zone + Hydrocity, for me.

Hhhmm by the way... a lava + water stage... that would be new. Boiling water?

Anyway, it looks beautiful.

Andre Banzai fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 24, 2017

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Ah yes, a screenshot that looks like a gamepro magazine scan. My nostalgias.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I remember when sonic fans decided sonic 4 would be bad based on literally two seconds of teaser footage and a hotel wallpaper

and hell, they were right

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

Ah yes, a screenshot that looks like a gamepro magazine scan. My nostalgias.

The only way to make this even more authentic would be to not include this level in the final version of the game.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Motto posted:

I remember when sonic fans decided sonic 4 would be bad based on literally two seconds of teaser footage and a hotel wallpaper

and hell, they were right

i decided it would be bad the moment dimps was revealed to be behind it. i remember going from excited to completely disinterested in an instant

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i'm very excited for sonic the hedgehog, and all of his friends. i'm going to enjoy sonic mania and sonic forces a lot

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Sonic 2's the perfect length, S3&K are too short as individual games and too long and weirdly paced when you combine them.

truth.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

3&K had the save feature though and it was boss

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/867497295138258946

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

arinxbig.txt

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/867424594746933248

This works better in the feed, where the preview doesn't show the third image, but clicking on the image reveals the last part.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Sonic twitter always on the ball:

Gentlemen, start your wild guesses!

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

SupSuper posted:

Sonic twitter always on the ball:

Gentlemen, start your wild guesses!

Hhmm "estadio" = stadium. Sonic Stadium?
What was hint #1?

Andre Banzai fucked around with this message at 13:32 on May 25, 2017

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Alright, so I found a reply to that Knuckles "estadio" tweet that said the reveal had something to do with the number 888. I went over to Sonic Stadium and typed "888" in their search engine. A weird glitched page came up with lyrics for a Big The Cat song and some cryptic "see you at the next checkpoint" message.

My bad if this "888" stuff is something already known of in the Sonic community and I'm just getting trolled by some kid.

Andre Banzai fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 25, 2017

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Ah anyway, Sonic News has found that page too:

https://twitter.com/sonicnewsnow/status/867619269068156929

"Checkpoint" is the name of the song in Sonic Mania's reveal trailer btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

did you know that the lyrics to it doesn't matter perfectly encapsulate the feeling of getting trapped in a longwinded internet argument?

This fight is not for anybody
This is purely for myself
There is no way I'm gonna give up
'Till the very end
I can't tell what is wrong and what is right
I've got to find the answer
But until I do there's no way
I will ever give up
Place all your bets
On the one you think is right

Also what was up with the "when all alone in my chair" line from tail's theme, was that song translated from japanese originally?