Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
He's not bad, but at his rank he has to face all the top guys. Next tournament he'll be at M10 or so and do a lot better against inferior competition. There are quite a few second tier guys like that who do well at the lower ranks, but have horrible records when they get promoted and have to face all the Yokozuna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

It also doesn't help that he's got a high center of gravity and is one-dimensional as gently caress, kind of like the opposite of Kotoshogiku.

His tsuppari is pretty strong, but if someone gets a hold of his belt, 9 out of 10 times he's losing. And everybody he faces knows that.

anakha fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 25, 2017

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
Aoiyama is going to bounce around mid Makuuchi for the rest of his career I think. It's still impressive to make it that high on the banzuke at all, nothing wrong with that.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Awesome seeing Ura doing this well at his highest ranking ever (M10W). Day 14 and 15 should have him against folks higher up the table at this rate (Ikioi tomorrow) and it will be an interesting watch.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 12: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71XBHR1n8Wo

Chiyonokuni-Yoshikaze for MOTN.

Congrats to Takayasu on his impending promotion!

...and suddenly there's an opening in Sekiwake. It's been a good career Giku, but I think it's time.

Terunofuji has been employing the 'be a strong motherfucker' tactic this week.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys4aGnkSQgE

Tochinoshin-Shodai :stare:

Also Harumafuji-Takayasu

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Takayasu yaaaaaay

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mary Annette posted:

Takayasu yaaaaaay

x100. Not only way the bout what I wanted to see but it was exciting to boot.

There was a lot to see today. Super entertaining and competitive for the most part. I've never really watched a sport where I'm really watching every round regardless of whether I care about the participant or not; Until now. Even with hockey I'll tune out if I don't care about the team but the fact that these are thirty second bouts gives me a chance to watch everything.

I'm really hoping to see some Sumo when I head up to Japan next year. I'll have to make sure I shift my trip to a tournament month, if tickets are relatively straightforward to get. If that's optimistic, is there a different series of tournaments I could try to attend?

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

I remember a time where all I wanted to see was Hakuho not take the yusho so we'd have some more excitement near the top. But now I'm rooting for the guy because it's been long enough and he's still the GOAT. A little disappointing that we won't get a Hakuho v Kisenosato matchup in the process, though.

Still a lot of excitement in the upper ranks and with the kids. New Ozeki Takayasu next basho, and Ura looks like he'll climb high enough to start going against sanyaku a lot more, as well as Hokutofuji if he wins his last couple. Shodai and Mitakeumi still look like future Ozeki. Exciting time to be following sumo - newcomers and veterans alike.

If there was a special prize for tough-luck losers, poor Chiyonokuni deserves better than a 2-11 right now. He's been putting up a hell of a fight every time, but that's why M1 is part of the meatgrinder.

Martytoof posted:

I'm really hoping to see some Sumo when I head up to Japan next year. I'll have to make sure I shift my trip to a tournament month, if tickets are relatively straightforward to get. If that's optimistic, is there a different series of tournaments I could try to attend?

Be sure to note where the tournament is for the month (odd months only), since they range anywhere from Tokyo to Kyushu. If you're getting the JR pass even Kyushu (November, and probably the most pleasant month to visit Japan) is fairly accessible from the Kansai area via shinkansen if you take a couple nights out of the way just for sumo. That one is probably the easiest for getting tickets, although it's also the furthest from central Japan.

Tsaedje posted:

Tamawashi just quietly plugging away, getting a year of kachikoshis under his belt, the last three at sekiwake

Wow that's hella consistent. And yet, nowhere close to what's needed for Ozeki.

Fryhtaning fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 27, 2017

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Tamawashi just quietly plugging away, getting a year of kachikoshis under his belt, the last three at sekiwake

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

anakha posted:

Hakuho is starting to remind me of NOAH-era Misawa as the slightly over the hill legend who wants to keep proving he's still on top.

He reminds me of someone who just won't stop dominating.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Day the 14th:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWmsf9uc2AE

Can we give Tochinoshin the Henka of the Year Award? I had to laugh after that one.

Hakuhou wins! Great match with Terunofuji, but Hak was due.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
A good day and a good tournament overall

shame there's not really anything to play for on the final day, only Ishiura and Kaisei are on 7-7 and the tournament's won.

Still, there's some good bouts to look forward to tomorrow -- personally, I'm looking forward to Mitakeumi-Shodai, Takayasu-Terunofuji and Goeido-Tamawashi: current and future Ozekis, as well as seeing if Hakuho can beat Harumafuji to get another 15-0 for the record books

Sanyaku looks very crowded for next basho. I don't think they'll go for 3 Sekiwake again, so Yoshikaze will have to stay Komusubi unless Kotoshogiku retires. After all, it would be mean not to promote Mitakeumi twice in a row.

Meanwhile in Juryo it seems the basho has been absurdly competitive: 22 out of 28 guys go into the final day with between 6 and 8 wins, and the best records are Nishigiki and Aminishiki on 9

And spare a thought for poor Hattorizakura down in Jonokuchi, he's now had 6 winless tournaments in a row and only the one win ever: this one, a year ago

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I completely forgot about the tournament until after day 11, I finally caught up today.

For those who are following wakaichiro (young guy from Texas ranked East Jd52), He finished 4-3 in Jonidan and his matches can be easily found on youtube. He seems to have problems with a throw that he keeps attempting, every time he tries he fails and falls. He went into his last match 3-3 and henka'd for his KK.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Tsaedje posted:

Meanwhile in Juryo it seems the basho has been absurdly competitive: 22 out of 28 guys go into the final day with between 6 and 8 wins, and the best records are Nishigiki and Aminishiki on 9

This was a good tournament to have 9 or 10 losses near-ish the bottom of the banzuke, there are hardly any promotable guys in juryo. Myogiryu and Yutakayama will have to go down no matter what and Kaisei must win his last match, but Toyohibiki might be able to stay with a win and Kotoyuki may get lucky and hang in there even with a loss.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Puckish Rogue posted:

He reminds me of someone who just won't stop dominating.
I started following sumo 10 years back, when Hakuho had just picked up his first yusho, and there was a great rivalry between him and Asashoryu. Then Asa retired, and Hak started dominating. He won 7 out of 12 tournaments in 2008-09, and was runner-up in the other 5. He was runner-up again in the hatsu-basho of 2010, then apparently decided 'well, better up my game', and lost a total of one entire match for the rest of the year. Four 15-0 yushos and one 14-1.

That was his peak, but from 2011-15 he was at least runner-up in all but two bashos. The last year has felt been weird without him constantly dominating, and I can't imagine what it's gonna feel like when he retires.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Final Day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wej7T3Nw1T8

Seems fitting that Hakuho-Harumafuji is the MOTN.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

A great bout to end the tournament on. July basho can't get here soon enough.

Can't wait to see how Takeyasu handles himself as an Ozeki. I'm pulling for him, admittedly just out of the blue. A lot of fun to watch.

And back to noob questions: What was the meaning behind the arrows the gyoji handed out after some bouts? Are those indicative of some of the special prizes being handed out?

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

The Boss dominated again, we have a new Ozeki, and we have a lot of exciting youngsters. That was A Good Basho.

Also lmao at Hakuho's baby:

Fryhtaning fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 29, 2017

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Martytoof posted:

And back to noob questions: What was the meaning behind the arrows the gyoji handed out after some bouts? Are those indicative of some of the special prizes being handed out?

They are special prizes, just not the SPECIAL prizes (ie the sansho).

The last three matches of the basho are called kore yori san-yaku.

Before the matches, the three dudes on each side get up and do some shiko together - I don't know if Kintamiyama usually puts that in his digest. This is called sanyaku soroibumi. It looks cool if they're in sync, but somebody usually ruins it.

The winner of each of these matches gets a prize called yaku-zumo ni kano. The winner of the first match gets arrows, the winner of the second gets a bow string and the winner of the third gets a bow.

The bow, incidentally, is related to the bow dance at the end of each day - apparently some yokozuna was awarded the bow and improvised a dance on the dohyo to celebrate.

(Thanks to Sumo Forum glossary for the proper terms - I always forget!)

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
So does Kotoshogiku retire? I'm thinking yes? What about Myorigiru? Probably not?

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Kotoshigoku already has a share in the NSK, so he could retire and start as an elder whenever he wants. Myogiryu would either have to borrow one or leave sumo entirely if he retires.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

TotallyGreen posted:

So does Kotoshogiku retire? I'm thinking yes? What about Myorigiru? Probably not?

He might not retire because he was likely able to do just enough to stay in the Sanyaku. If he doesn't retire and gets the Komosubi slot, then it'll be the first time that the membership of the Sanyaku doesn't change in quite a while. I imagine he'll retire for sure once he's facing demotion into the rank and file.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

TotallyGreen posted:

I'd guess Giku would probably want to continue on to Fukuoka for one last basho in front of the hometown crowd, assuming his results in the next two aren't too disastrous.

Myougiryuu's 'only' dropped to juryo, so he still gets most of the same privileges - and the salaried pay - as before. It's usually only when they drop down to makushita (and don't make it back up on the first try) that the older guys decide it's not worth the indignity of carrying on.

So probably they're both staying on, but ultimately it's up to them and they might spring a surprise.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
Myogiryu dropping to Juryo is weird for me. I got into sumo around the end 2011 and the dude was just a rock in the m5 -> s range more or less the entire time. Seems like a sudden fall from grace without any obvious injury or other reason.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
I got into suno around the same time and thought he was gonna make ozeki. At some point Hakuho elbowed him in the jaw so hard that he went lights out for a full minute and he was never the same again.

All that to say concussions are a hell of a thing.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Having watched for a bit now I wonder just how bad the concussion problems in Sumo are. They clunk heads constantly and that is one of the big reasons linemen in football have so many issues and they wear helmets.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

remusclaw posted:

Having watched for a bit now I wonder just how bad the concussion problems in Sumo are. They clunk heads constantly and that is one of the big reasons linemen in football have so many issues and they wear helmets.

Well I guess bright side for sumo is that they're basically just hitting their foreheads together, and not having their heads thump around in helmets and getting hit on the back, sides, all that. Also, the big hits seem only to happen right at the takeoff. So worst case, they're getting a few shots every couple months as opposed to like 200 head clashes every week.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.

Platypus Farm posted:

Well I guess bright side for sumo is that they're basically just hitting their foreheads together, and not having their heads thump around in helmets and getting hit on the back, sides, all that. Also, the big hits seem only to happen right at the takeoff. So worst case, they're getting a few shots every couple months as opposed to like 200 head clashes every week.

I've heard that one of the big problems is repeated minor impacts to the head, and all the slapping could really cause issues. I wonder how often you get slapped in the head in training. If its mostly something that happens in matches its probably okay, but if you're getting slapped in the head 10-20 times a day It could be really bad over years. I am not a neurologist though.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
That, and it's worth asking, how often do they bang heads in training? MMA is starting to realize that most of the nasty head trauma happens while sparring, not in competition.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
My gut feeling is that it is a lot better than MMA, Tsuppari really features only very rarely in training as far as I know. The tachiai is no joke though and that is practiced often. However, nobody will even start discussing things like PEDs so any type of CTE consideration is a long way off.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i also think (and certainly hope) that they've gotten this sort of poo poo out of the sport entirely by now

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

a false posted:

i also think (and certainly hope) that they've gotten this sort of poo poo out of the sport entirely by now

Sadly, poo poo like that is part of why Brodi has already retired from the sport. Better, probably, but a long way from going away.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
well that loving sucks

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
The whole Brodi thing was a megamess. It was a smaller heya and the oyakata got accused of rerouting money to fund his wife's opera career (who is 20 years younger than him) then he ended up in dialysis after kidney failure. Also the technique training regimine sounded really weird so even if he hadn't been bullied (and the extent of that is completely unclear) I doubt he would have had much success there. Along with Michinoku, the stable Brodi was in Nishikido are probably bottom of the barrel.

Shikihide is intentionally bad and don't count.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I suppose it's likely better than MMA or Boxing where often the head is a repeated target.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

In case anyone was still wondering, we officially have an Ozeki Takayasu.

He'll be a rock solid Ozeki. Reminds me of Kisenosato in his earlier Ozeki days in terms of power and stability, except much more of an oshi guy than a belt guy than Kisenosato is/was. Only appropriate since they're from the same heya.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Is there any news on if Kisenosato is healing or getting surgery or anything? Seeing him fight with his hosed up arm is sad with how dominant he was all the way up to the injury.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
How many rikishi from Western European countries have had a run in Sumo? Like, what's the highest rank someone from the most unlikely country has attained?

I ask this, because I recent came across this video of Schwingen, which is basically the Swiss version of Sumo wrestling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ax6NdXmMqA&t=16s

The similarities are interesting, though wrestling is wrestling in the end I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Uncle Jam posted:

Shikihide is intentionally bad and don't count.

Care to elaborate? I can't see the upside to this strategy, short of it being a tax write-off or something similar.