Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Star Wars Battlefront 2
is a first person/third person shooter developed by Dice in collaboration with Criterion and Motive Studios who are handling the campaign. It is a large scale kinda Battlefield-esque game in the Star Wars universe, with massive battles spanning all three eras. Its plot centers around Inferno Squad, an elite group of Imperial troops loyal to Emperor Palpatine, even after his death at the Battle of Endor, covering the death of the Empire and the formation of the First Order. It features a noted set of improvements from the previous game, Star Wars Battlefront, including the actual presence of a single-player campaign and space battles.

Star Wars Battlefront 2
on the other hand, is a first person/third person shooter developed by Pandemic Studios. It is a large scale kinda Battlefield-esque game in the Star Wars universe, with massive battles spanning all two eras. Its plot centers around the 501st Legion, an elite group of Imperial troops loyal to Emperor Palpatine, even before his ascent to the title from the position of Chancellor, covering the death of the Republic and the formation of the Empire. It features a noted set of improvements from the previous game, Star Wars Battlefront, including the actual presence of a single-player campaign and space battles.

The new Battlefront 2 and the old one are extremely similar in the stories they tell, both being from the Imperial perspective most notably, and while I'm very excited for it this thread is dedicated to the older sequel. Star Wars Battlefront 2 Senior. I'll be going through all 18 missions (and the tutorial) of the original campaign which showcase the Republic and Empire units, plus Galactic Conquest to show off the Rebels and the Droids.

Only one rule: No untagged spoilers for any new Star Wars media. Some folks haven't caught up. Discuss the old films as much as you'd like, but if a new book or series comes out, put it behind spoiler tags and say where it came from. I've not had the chance to read the new Thrawn book!

Table of Contents:

Tutorial - Attack of the Clones (Geonosis)

Campaign, Part 1 - Among the Ruins (Mygeeto) (Copyright free)

Campaign, Part 2 - A Desperate Rescue (Coruscant)

Campaign, Part 3 - Heart of Darkness (Felucia)

Campaign, Part 4 - First Line of Defence (Kashyyyk)

Campaign, Part 5 - Line in the Sand (Kashyyyk)

Campaign, Part 6 - Underground Ambush (Utapau)

Campaign, Part 7 - Knightfall (Coruscant)

Campaign, Part 8 - Imperial Diplomacy (Naboo)

Campaign, Part 9 - Preventative Measures (Mustafar)

Campaign, Part 10 - Tying Up Loose Ends (Mustafar)

Campaign, Part 11 - Changing of the Guard (Kamino)

Campaign, Part 12 - Prison Break (Death Star)

Campaign, Part 13 - Birth of the Rebellion (Polis Massa)

Campaign, Part 14 - Recovering the Plans (Tantive IV)

Campaign, Part 15 - Vader's Fist Strikes Back (Yavin IV)

Campaign, Part 16 - Revenge of the Empire (Yavin IV)

Campaign, Finale - Our Finest Hour (Hoth)

Heroes and Villains - Mos Eisley Assault and Battlefront (New)

Hunt Mode, Part 1 - Endor, Geonosis, Hoth (Copyright Free)

Hunt Mode, Part 2 - Kashyyyk, Tatooine and Naboo

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jul 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Will you be playing the newer BF2 as well?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

I remember playing the poo poo outta this game as a lad. :allears: Looking forwards to experiencing the story all over again.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Does the online in this still work?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

CommissarMega posted:

Will you be playing the newer BF2 as well?

Yes, I'm a sucker for Star Wars. If I can find a copy, I'll also be looking at Battlefront (original) on PS2 and later on to fill time inbetween this and BF2 new I'll be looking at Battlefront (new) and its VR X-Wing mission.

Lunethex posted:

Does the online in this still work?

Yes, with Game Ranger. Not natively since that ran on Gamespy and the servers shut down.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
I fondly remember playing Galactic Conquest in this. Kinda miss some of the old maps though, Bespin Platforms was always great for a laugh.

gently caress Polis Masa-grad though.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Good times. Never was an overly popular game, but I enjoyed my time with it.

JakeyZydrate
Dec 26, 2012
I remember playing this during my uni years, four player splitscreen. So much goddamn fun!
Swapping controllers when one lad when to the loo to conufse him, still hasn't forgiven me. :shobon:

Strangly excited for the new Battlefront 2 even though the first was a letdown, it was a fun game but not a Battlefront fun game.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Is that Temuera Morrison as the narrator?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Gargamel Gibson posted:

imdb says yes

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
You started this thread a day early. :colbert:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Oh god, I remember this game,. I had way too much with any of the space battle missions, only doing boarding missions.

EDIT: And the clone wars CG cartoon does do star wars ground battles really well,.

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 4, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Campaign, Part 1, featuring Mygeeto - Among the Ruins.

Senerio posted:

You started this thread a day early. :colbert:

I wanted it to be out there for May 4th and I couldn't be bothered staying up until midnight for it. Probably the right day in some timezones!

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I believe so, and he's fantastic at it.

warhammer651 posted:

I fondly remember playing Galactic Conquest in this. Kinda miss some of the old maps though, Bespin Platforms was always great for a laugh.

gently caress Polis Masa-grad though.

Yeah, Battlefront 1 had some fantastic maps. I prefer the original Hoth to the BF2 iteration, and Bespin Platforms was fantastic fun to mess about with all the aircraft.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Good times. Never was an overly popular game, but I enjoyed my time with it.

I'm not sure on PC, but on console it shifted a million units at launch between the Xbox and PS2, and that's with only two months of sales. I didn't know anybody who didn't have Battlefront 2, it's probably the most recognisable and iconic Star Wars game among console gamers of the time.

E: I can't watch my own video because of the Star Wars theme. I'll edit the video, make the currently uploaded one unlisted and make a public version without the theme.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 10:59 on May 5, 2017

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

In case anyone is interested, Battlefront II is just 2.75 on Steam right now.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Well, I'm reinstalling this and buying Jedi Outcast for good measure

Battlefront 2 is still my gold standard for shooters

E: Outcast crashes on startup for Intel graphics cards without a new opengl file...

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 5, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Campaign, Part 2, featuring Coruscant: A Desperate Rescue.

The Door Frame posted:

Battlefront 2 is still my gold standard for shooters

I love Battlefront 2, but it is not a good shooter by design. It's a great Star War rather than being a tight shooter, focusing more on selling the setting and most importantly being fun. I'd not hold it as a gold standard for shooters, but definitely as a gold standard for media tie-in games

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Are you going to show off XL battles and the Mos Eisley Assault?

Also, the LA-AT is one of the worst ships in the game, it's the only one I can think of with limited rockets. Even worse than limited ordinance, the AI makes all boarding vessels into hot garbage, since they fly out of the hangar almost as soon as you depart the ship and rarely assist in assaulting the interior...

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I love Battlefront 2, but it is not a good shooter by design. It's a great Star War rather than being a tight shooter, focusing more on selling the setting and most importantly being fun. I'd not hold it as a gold standard for shooters, but definitely as a gold standard for media tie-in games

That's definitely fair to say; its shooting is sloppy, its classes aren't balanced particularly well, it has little variety outside of special classes, and the bots aren't always the best at completing objectives. Also, the Hard difficulty AI completely shits itself in XL battles.

I suppose that I should have said "multiplayer shooters" instead, as it's simply one of the most fun and varied multiplayer shooters.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

The Door Frame posted:

Are you going to show off XL battles and the Mos Eisley Assault?

I am showing off everything. If I miss something unique, please let me know because this game actually has so much stuff in it that is eminently missable.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Oh man, this brings back a whole lot of memories. Used to play this game practically daily with a friend of mine. Are you going to show off the elite weapons? Some of them were kind of underwhelming but then there's others like the rocket launcher that are total gamechangers.

JakeyZydrate
Dec 26, 2012
If I remmeber right you need when landing a gunship in a hanger you needed to land twice, otherwise the ai would try and fly it right back out. Normally flying right into the roof or wall. But if you land twice all the ai buddies get out and leave it alone.

Also i've never seen a space battle points so high with the other sides ship still so intact.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

A look at Space battles in the vein of Battlefront 2.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Campaign, Part 3, featuring Felucia - Heart of Darkness.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Campaign, Part 3, featuring Felucia - Heart of Darkness.

Currently unavailable.

VKing
Apr 22, 2008
e: fb.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I changed account before clicking public. :v:

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

The acklay was also one of the big dumb CGI monsters from the arena scene from Episode 2, along with a dumb CGI space bull and a dumb CGI space panther. They both pale in comparison to dumb CGI Peter Cushing, of course.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Campaign, Part 4, featuring Kashyyyk - First Line of Defence.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Why are you so upset about the name of the droid fighter, Herp? It's like poetry; it rhymes.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Hey man Twi'leks own, I won't sit around and listen to you trash talk them.

Now trashing talking Ewok's, that's something I'm all for.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Samovar posted:

Why are you so upset about the name of the droid fighter, Herp? It's like poetry; it rhymes.

The very notion makes me sick. Just as bad as going through my favourite training canyon.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

The space sections are probably some of the most fun of the game. But it really get's good when playing against each other in multiplayer. Some actual strategy starts coming up. Heck, even doing it co-op means some good coordination between attack and defense. It's a really good system.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

The very notion makes me sick. Just as bad as going through my favourite training canyon.

... I think they just stole that design wholesale from Rebel Assault 2

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Campaign, Part 5, featuring Kashyyyk - Line in the Sand.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
The Best Mission is next, iirc.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Loving this LP.

I'd really love a Romance of the Three Kingdoms LP, though. Your ROTK X stream was great.

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!

RickVoid posted:

I'd really love a Romance of the Three Kingdoms LP, though.

Now's not the proper time for that

Atomikus fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 25, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Campaign, Part 6, featuring Utapau - Underground Ambush.

RickVoid posted:

I'd really love a Romance of the Three Kingdoms LP, though. Your ROTK X stream was great.

I'll be doing a lot more ROTK X streams for the near future, partly in planning for a big China Game LP. I played through Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom a few months ago and beat the ROTK XIII story mode, just got started with Dynasty Warriors 8 and heard about the Kessen series quite recently. In other words:

Atomikus posted:

Now's not the proper time for that

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Turns out i did not recall correctly. NEXT mission is the best mission.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Campaign, Part 7, featuring Coruscant - Knightfall.

paragon1 posted:

Turns out i did not recall correctly. NEXT mission is the best mission.

I have issues with the mission as shown in the video, but it is cool as heck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I never bothered to try to repair the archives despite always playing an engineer...

I actually HATED this level because of how many overpowered enemies you have to fight basically solo

• Locked thread