Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
God drat do I love playing as the wild hunt and frosting people to death.

New weather owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
What do I put in a northern realms artillery deck to make it not suck? It can't do huge swings unless the enemy lets me set up for ages and if that doesn't happen I'm stuck playing 2/4's that do maybe 2 damage most of the time.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

After 28 kegs I manage to get Raag Nar Roog, a Ciri and a premium Avallac'h as my legendaries, not bad at all, I'm liking the ratio of these things

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Electronico6 posted:

You already have Geralt, Leo Bonhart is good but is very specific to a play-style of Nilfgaard(Reveal mechanic) so it needs a lot of support across all colours, while Metz will enhance any starting Northern Realms decks.

I think Leo is a great choice for most NG decks, not just Reveal. Unless you are playing a deck with nearly zero medium to large units, he's still a pretty solid Triss+ with flexibility at the loss of a small amount of information. He may not work in a spy deck with the amount of 1-6 power cards they can run, though.

This is advice assuming the account in question doesn't have a large amount of kegs/rewards already. Leo seems good a lot of the time but probably isn't optimal outside of Reveal or some sort of fatties deck, yeah.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Asehujiko posted:

What do I put in a northern realms artillery deck to make it not suck? It can't do huge swings unless the enemy lets me set up for ages and if that doesn't happen I'm stuck playing 2/4's that do maybe 2 damage most of the time.

Pick 1-2 siege and 1 type of crew for them at most, I think. Use them as tools in a greater control deck. If you run all of them, their lower base stats will suffer versus all the weather effects out there and you'll experience what it sounds like you already did, with all your combo pieces dying one by one. I can see a -looot- of potential in both of the Ballistas for big weather super slams though, build those as pieces in a big control shell? Constantly keeping your opponent on their toes about Scorch or weather effects cleaving a whole row sounds pretty fun.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Minrad posted:

Pick 1-2 siege and 1 type of crew for them at most, I think. Use them as tools in a greater control deck. If you run all of them, their lower base stats will suffer versus all the weather effects out there and you'll experience what it sounds like you already did, with all your combo pieces dying one by one. I can see a -looot- of potential in both of the Ballistas for big weather super slams though, build those as pieces in a big control shell? Constantly keeping your opponent on their toes about Scorch or weather effects cleaving a whole row sounds pretty fun.
So mill the entire lot and not have a garbage sub-deck in a proper control deck, got it.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Why the gently caress can't I loving finish the second final challenge quest against monsters. Why does the retard AI summon 18 worth of stats casually with 1 loving card left while I'm throwing my poo poo dumb cards at them.

Also 2 hundreds weather effects.

Just kidding game's amazing but it does an awful job at explaining anything and I'm not seeing this reaching critical mass unless they do something about the keywords.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Kawabata posted:

Why the gently caress can't I loving finish the second final challenge quest against monsters. Why does the retard AI summon 18 worth of stats casually with 1 loving card left while I'm throwing my poo poo dumb cards at them.

Also 2 hundreds weather effects.

Just kidding game's amazing but it does an awful job at explaining anything and I'm not seeing this reaching critical mass unless they do something about the keywords.

I'm not sure what you mean by "do something about the keywords." The keywords have definitions that pop up when you hover over the cards, so you can learn what each card does in a few seconds the first time you see them, and that is just reinforced if you see them multiple times.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by "do something about the keywords." The keywords have definitions that pop up when you hover over the cards, so you can learn what each card does in a few seconds the first time you see them, and that is just reinforced if you see them multiple times.

It's hella aggravating to open kegs and not understand what any of the keywords mean

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Or not to show you the stats/keywords if they spawn other units

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I really feel like weather is gonna get yet another rework. It's still completely dominating, between all the special weather effects and lack of removal/weather immune cards. I'm running 3 first lights and gremist, as well as ways to return Gremist or bounce him, and am unable to deal with all the weather spam.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Is there any word on whether the GOG version will carry over to the mystical UWP "You can play this on Xbox too!" version? I'd rather not jump on this only to have to restart in x months when the UWP version comes out.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Celery Jello posted:

Is there any word on whether the GOG version will carry over to the mystical UWP "You can play this on Xbox too!" version? I'd rather not jump on this only to have to restart in x months when the UWP version comes out.

What the hell is UWP?

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

ShowTime posted:

I really feel like weather is gonna get yet another rework. It's still completely dominating, between all the special weather effects and lack of removal/weather immune cards. I'm running 3 first lights and gremist, as well as ways to return Gremist or bounce him, and am unable to deal with all the weather spam.

Came in here to post that I keep getting destroyed solely by Ragh Nar Roog no matter what deck I play or what deck it is in. It may as well be a gold that says "if played at the start of round 3, delete five of your opponent's cards and gain 50 strength". I get that gold cards are supposed to be flashy, but look at RNR and then look at Geralt. Or to use a non-starter gold that does damage, good old YenCon. Unless you have 6+ dudes at the same strength for the entire round, she isn't going to touch RNR's power.

Maybe have RNR affect the entire board, so both sides take a hit before either can Clear Skies.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Run lots of first lights. Two at least, preferably three. Between Rag, Drought, Skellige Storm, and the frost Wild Hunt deck that is seeing play right now, weather is a big chunk of the meta. Also, i'd recommend staying away from the Skellige discard/Queensguard deck. The aforementioned wild hunt deck also runs lots of graveyard stealers, and one of the most played decks right now is the Nilfgaard reveal/spy deck, which runs Vicovaro medics. They are gonna end up stealing all your Queensguard.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I like you gwent goons, here's a fun deck I've been climbing with based on what I was able to open. Use crach to bring out morkvarg the magic unremoveable minion, then put all the buffs on morkvarg. It's surprisingly solid and it would be even better with the golden longship :pray:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The AI is really, really dumb.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I really wish this game was a bit more "curiosity" friendly. Like I can't back out of cards when I select them, so I can't contemplate an action without first playing a card. I also wish the game would give me a visual indication of which cards would be affected by a card action I take; I don't think not allowing me to know for sure that I'm not about to kill my own allies would be very helpful.

This Skellige archer guy who shoots his own guys is bizarre. Worse still, I found myself doing better with a Skellige deck than my monster deck. Wild Hunt cards are great, but I feel like I need to invest in a lot more actual monsters before that deck is viable at all.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I really wish this game was a bit more "curiosity" friendly.

Yeah the fact that I can't loving right-click to cancel a card move drives me insane

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
You can lock ambush units now... I had no idea.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Fake Ciri is the gift that keeps on giving. I think she manhandled this dude so hard he didn't even gg me.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

neongrey posted:

Fake Ciri is the gift that keeps on giving. I think she manhandled this dude so hard he didn't even gg me.

Yeah its 50/50. Either players misunderstand how she works and go ahead and just ignore her, then pass when she's worth like 10 points and lose themselves the match. Or they freak out and go completely out of their way trying to get rid of it.

Either way its never not awesome.

Edit: What is that card based on though? I don't remember a fake Ciri in Witcher 3 unless its part of one of the expansions.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Class Warcraft posted:

Yeah its 50/50. Either players misunderstand how she works and go ahead and just ignore her, then pass when she's worth like 10 points and lose themselves the match. Or they freak out and go completely out of their way trying to get rid of it.

Either way its never not awesome.

Edit: What is that card based on though? I don't remember a fake Ciri in Witcher 3 unless its part of one of the expansions.

The books

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Why did these fuckers take old Pavetta and make her better, and a scoia card? I do like new Pavetta too, she's neat, but now I guess I'll have to switch factions to play my favorite broken card.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Man, CDPR:s support is lightning fast, they reply in ~10 minutes. Hopefully they'll solve my disconnecting issue.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
So I only played a couple days of the closed beta, but I am having a great time playing hilarious spy decks. This is a good game.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Made a Skellige enemy damage deck for the challenges and haven't lost yet, it's pretty funny. Probably wouldn't work as well in ranked because people would be running Dimeritium bomb, Shackles, Scorch, ect.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

RatHat posted:

Made a Skellige enemy damage deck for the challenges and haven't lost yet, it's pretty funny. Probably wouldn't work as well in ranked because people would be running Dimeritium bomb, Shackles, Scorch, ect.

You'd be surprised. Shackles and sometimes Scorch, yea, less so on the D-Bomb. Just get used to staggering your power, so units on your board are always different strength. If you play the Axemen which get buffed whenever an enemy loses strength, play one, have him gain a couple strength, then play the other.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Xtanstic posted:

What the hell is UWP?

Universal Windows Platform (?), it's a way for someone to make one app that works on anything running Windows without recompiling it.

The end result that they're pushing is that you can buy a game for PC and download the exact same game for your Xbox, or vice versa. The thing is you have to get UWP apps from the Windows Store, so I don't think the version that exists for PC is that version.

Hence my question - It's possible that progress on the PC version now won't carry over to the other version.

I may have the details of UWP wrong but that's the gist of if

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

257 spare cards from 100 kegs, worth 1655 scraps. I'd call that bad luck.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
Mulligan ST is really, really fun. And just for general ST stuff, the swing you can generate by having both Saskia and Roach is pretty insane.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Enjoying the game, and managed to scrape together enough cards to build a halfway decent Skellige deck (not a good deck, but serviceable), but man, the keyword descriptions in this game are not super helpful. I read them but it's often not clear how a card is going to work until I actually lay it down in a match.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Robutt posted:

Mulligan ST is really, really fun. And just for general ST stuff, the swing you can generate by having both Saskia and Roach is pretty insane.

The Brouver combo of Brouver -> the 2 cost dwarf that pulls a dwarf (which pulls Saskia which pulls Roach) -> Zoltan Chivay which gets buffed and pulls other units and buffs them is an insane turn 1 round 1 play that also thins your deck quite a bit.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Litany Unheard posted:

Enjoying the game, and managed to scrape together enough cards to build a halfway decent Skellige deck (not a good deck, but serviceable), but man, the keyword descriptions in this game are not super helpful. I read them but it's often not clear how a card is going to work until I actually lay it down in a match.

If you keep holding the mouse over a card, eventually it shows the definitions of the keywords.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

NR is so weird. The two decks look like machines and blue stripe insanity. The BS deck is either requires extremely high iq or is pure rng, I can't tell which.

The way it works is to theoretically use sergeants with henselt's ability to pull all your blue stripes for 36 power on turn 2 that all dies to scorch. You can play the muster too for 54 on turn 3 that all dies to scorch and, if you're up for it, operator your sergeant beforehand for 80-82 str turn 5 (not even very uncommon if you run adc). There's no way to stagger anything, I'm considering crafting dandelion, and I have no idea why priscilla is so bad. Send help.

Also, tons of weird interactions like medic pulling sergeant pulling a single blue stripe who hops around instead of two.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 25, 2017

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Megazver posted:

If you keep holding the mouse over a card, eventually it shows the definitions of the keywords.

Yes, that's what I meant. I read the definitions but it still doesn't always communicate the card's function well. Add in that terms on the cards like "Cursed" and "Loyal/Disloyal" are never really explained by the definitions or the tutorial and I can see quite a bit of potential confusion for someone new to the game. Definitely increases the entry barrier.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

No Wave posted:

NR is so weird. The two decks look like machines and blue stripe insanity. The BS deck is either requires extremely high iq or is pure rng, I can't tell which.

The way it works is to theoretically use sergeants with henselt's ability to pull all your blue stripes for 36 power on turn 2 that all dies to scorch. There's no way to stagger anything, I'm considering crafting dandelion, and I have no idea why priscilla is so bad. Semd help.

Also, tons of weird interactions like medic pulling sergeant pulling a single blue stripe who hops around instead of two.

I'm glad for the rework to NR, and I think it's in a better place than it was before, but either the lists need more time to be refined or there is something not gelling all that well.

I think the correct play with the Blue Stripes is Dandelion buffing Roach and 2xTemerian Foot Soldiers, so when you play the first Temerian dude he pulls the Commando and the buffed guys, and you have Roach to cover your rear end. Then you want the Promote Dude(The one that buffs adjacent cards by 1 while he has armor), to keep one of the buffed soldiers or Roach as the scorch targets. Then the rest plays normal with the sergeants.

Thing is you then have all these cards that in theory should work really well, but they just hamper your style. Trollollo and Ves don't seem that useful, as due to weather you don't want to play everything in the same row and Ves is whatever. The Lubberkin/Botchling/Nenneke nonsense isn't that great either now that the Lubberkin and Botchling are just 5 Strength, and Nenneke has zero synergy with your Sergeants/Commandos, as the stuff that hits the grave gets power reset. Scouts, Medics are also kinda awkward I don't like them. Putting in the Reinforced Trebuchets and playing them after Sergeant buffs and getting caught in strength parity might be the way to go. Then Stennis can also fit.

So far in NR I'm finding Metz, Sile, and Dethmold to be really good and the flex they provide is insane. Phillipa Eilhart and Roche are the best pals, though I'm not really sold on Roche(but I'll play him because i got him as Premium) Dandelion is okay if boring. Missing the rest of NR golds.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 25, 2017

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The way I want to use dandelion is to buff trio generated blue stripes (or just nenneke'd blue stripes) up to 6 str after 3 sergeants have been used. This will allow the 6 str medics to pull them. (I think this is why dandelion was even added)

I think there must have been more trio cards at one point.

Keira is great as expected, philippa is cool but I think I prefer triss and sile would be ridiculous in any other faction. Potential but still tough to smooth out. I would love old siege support or blue stripes 4 str buff guy back, that'd really solve my biggest problem.

Total aside but scoia seems totally insane on paper. Guaranteed agleis every game, scorch generator, nature's blessing, and the absurd ithlienne potential. Plus they got the best premium art in the game, aelirenn.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 25, 2017

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

I have a feeling that the next silvers I'm going to make are Skellige Storm and the double frost one, considering Dudu underwhelming and I keep playing decks that don't want Scorch. I kinda wish the Witcher trio were part of the starter silver package instead of dudu/scorch/decoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Dudu sucks (is there a more appropriately named card?) but otherwise you will eventually find that that is an incorrect opinion.

Although playing against players who don't own scorch would be great.

I do wish cow was still a free card though, new players playing pwc was like a rite of passage and its moo was like the official sound of f2p gwent.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 25, 2017