Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

david crosby posted:

It's hosed up to say this in 2017, but the new Morbid Angel song is good.

those early 90s alesis kick and snare samples

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Not really heavy metal at all, but Chon is coming up with a new album in a few weeks and it sounds to be good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQcp3UWQOmM

Video also features a skateboarding dog.

Coming to you straight from Sumerian Records, home of diverse artists such as Periphery, Animals as Leaders and... Bizzy Bone....

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Vargatron posted:

Not really heavy metal at all, but Chon is coming up with a new album in a few weeks and it sounds to be good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQcp3UWQOmM

Video also features a skateboarding dog.

Coming to you straight from Sumerian Records, home of diverse artists such as Periphery, Animals as Leaders and... Bizzy Bone....

There's no way you're going to convince me to click on this with a description like that

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Why is Dystopia such a good album

Is this Dave Mustaine's thing now? Make like 5 lovely-to-mediocre albums in a row, then drop a really good one for maximum surprise factor?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

MikeCrotch posted:

Why is Dystopia such a good album

Is this Dave Mustaine's thing now? Make like 5 lovely-to-mediocre albums in a row, then drop a really good one for maximum surprise factor?

Thirteen is my fav of the past ten years or so from them. Just gets better on each listen for me, really catchy distinctive songs.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RJ5Cf4Xv8U

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

A human heart posted:

There's no way you're going to convince me to click on this with a description like that

I guess I could put it in the guitar thread or something, it's more prog rock/fusion anyway.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

A human heart posted:

it's instrumental and good, chon owns

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Vargatron posted:

I guess I could put it in the guitar thread or something, it's more prog rock/fusion anyway.

There's a math rock thread that could use some love

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
http://www.theprp.com/2017/05/25/news/heres-happened-machine-tried-create-new-metal-bands/

quote:

Janelle Shane of Postcards From The Frontiers Of Science recently fed over 100,000 metal band names, subgenres and countries of origin from metal-archives.com into an open source neural network framework. It was done in a bid to have the program convincingly generate various fictitious metal bands on its own. Here’s what the program wound up spitting out after gleaming what it could from that dataset:

quote:

“Dragonred of Blood – Death Metal – Indonesia
Deathhouse – Melodic Death Metal – Brazil
Vultrum – Folk/Black Metal – Germany
Stäggabash – Black Metal – Canada
Deathcrack – Death Metal – Mexico
Stormgarden – Black Metal – Germany
Vermit – Thrash Metal/Crossover,/Deathcore – United States
Swiil – Progressive Metal/Shred – United States
Inbumblious – Doom/Gothic Metal – Germany
Inhuman Sand – Melodic Death Metal – Russia
ChaosWorge le Plague – Doom Metal – Brazil
Inhum the Thorg – Black Metal – Slovenia
Chaosrug – Black Metal – Mexico
Jazzy – Heavy Metal – United States
Sux – Heavy Metal/Hard Rock – Chile
Dragonsulla and Steelgosh – Heavy Metal – Tuera
Verking of the Beats – Thrash Metal/Crossover Thrashcore – Netherlands
Squeen – Doom Metal – Colombia
Death from the Trend – Black Metal – Croatia
Shuck – Death Metal – Israel
Dragorhast – Heavy Metal/Hard Rock – Germany
Verb – Black Metal – Norway
Black Clonic Sky – Black Metal – Greece
Snapersten – Folk/Melodic Black Metal – Italy
Verk – Melodic Death Metal – Sweden
Snee – Thrash/Death Metal – Brazil
Vomberdean – Melodic Black Metal – United States
Suffer the Blue – Death/Thrash Metal – Germany
Sespessstion Sanicilevus – Melodic Death Metal – United States
Sköpprag – Black Metal – Norway
Sht – Symphonic/Heavy Metal – United States
Sun Damage Omen – Symphonic Progressive Metal – France”

would absolutely give Chaosrug a shot

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Deathcrack unironically steals "Metal Up Your rear end" as their first album title.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Vermit is my solo BM project and the album art is gonna be me with a rats face staring out from a very kvlt yurt.

I really like the album after this one. Good band.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 25, 2017

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Sht :black101:

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I won tickets to both days of Blackest of Black Fest. Danzig is silly so it should be fun.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
God bless Christopher Bowes and his stupid loving band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th4Czv1j3F8

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
"Verking of the Beats" better be the Dutch version of Municipal Waste

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

Nordick posted:

The new Alestorm songs are catchy and all but seem quite simple and repetitive, even for them. I hope they have a few more 'epic' tracks on there.

Album is actually on youtube right now, as is the 'For Dogs' version. I imagine they won't last long.

Edit - yep it's gone. A little disappointed really, a lot of it is mid-tempo and sound very much like things they've done before. Still, this is Alestorm so that's a given. Dog's version is funny though.

henpod fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 26, 2017

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Nordick posted:

I needed this so, so much this morning. :allears:

Album is simple dumb fun, I appreciate that Alestorm exists.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

"Verking of the Beats" better be the Dutch version of Municipal Waste

It sounds like a Col. Klink themed trip-hop band

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
It's the most wonderful time of the year... MDF!

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

henpod posted:

The new Alestorm songs are catchy and all but seem quite simple and repetitive, even for them. I hope they have a few more 'epic' tracks on there.

Album is actually on youtube right now, as is the 'For Dogs' version. I imagine they won't last long.

Edit - yep it's gone. A little disappointed really, a lot of it is mid-tempo and sound very much like things they've done before. Still, this is Alestorm so that's a given. Dog's version is funny though.

Well the album does have a few songs on it that are a bit less cheesebally. The band's always been about the ridiculously catchy singalong songs to me, so I don't mind the simplicity.* And they're using plenty of that fake trumpet keyboard sound again, which reminds me of their debut album a lot. After a couple listens I'd say the album is not outstanding, but definitely not a disappointment either. Just a solid Alestorm slab.

*: Not saying I don't love their more epic songs like The Battle of Cartagena, because I totally do.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 26, 2017

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
For all you guys into super cheesy power metal, Rhapsody of Fire released their re-recorded greatest hits album yesterday. New singer is ok, no Fabio Leone though. At least he pronounces "emerald" correctly.

https://youtu.be/oupD5I_CG-s

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

What's a good source for keeping up with new metal releases, including the more obscure ones?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Spatulater bro! posted:

What's a good source for keeping up with new metal releases, including the more obscure ones?

I think someone in this thread once posted this, but I don't know how comprehensive it is:

https://www.thoughtco.com/heavy-metal-album-release-dates-1758888

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

me yesterday: I think I'll take it easy moshing to survive the whole MDF weekend

also me later: uhh my whole arms are bruised, and someone else's blood is on me... oh and some of my own too.. great.. never felt better

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Spatulater bro! posted:

Label forums tend to be the best for more underground stuff.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think I'm gonna go see Destruction and Warbringer tonight unless it sells out at the last minute. Kind of annoyed that Jungle Rot is on in between the two though.

Update: the show was fun as hell even though JR are insanely boring

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 29, 2017

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Henchman of Santa posted:

I think I'm gonna go see Destruction and Warbringer tonight unless it sells out at the last minute. Kind of annoyed that Jungle Rot is on in between the two though.

Great bands! Got to see Warbringer with Enforcer and Cauldron last year. Fun when they mix thrash with heavy/speed metal bands on a lineup.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm
Sadly could only do Saturday/Sunday of MDF this year, but it ended up being that most of hte bands I wanted to see were those two days anyway. Loved the new setup, always hated the sound at edison, plus the long distance walk.

Most exciting thing by far was finally getting to see Root, one of my favorite bands ever. I didn't have high hopes for them live, especially with Big Boss being fairly old/unhealthy, but everything sounded spot on. Made the trip worth it alone

Favorite Sets:
Father Befouled
Root
Exhumer
Goolagoon(didnt check out much soundstage, but randomly saw them and they were heavy as hell)
Insect Warfare - One of hte other bands I went for, insane show. Rahi is the greatest front man ever, no one tops his between song banter in either this or War Master.
Oranssi Pazuzu - Another one I was super stoked for that delivered. Much more angry and intense live than the albums even bring across, even on newer material.
Candlemass - Nightfall in full, everything sounded fantastic even without Messiah.

Also best part of the weekend was getting a a Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys Part II shirt off Sabi(the guy with the huge shirt booth in the corner) which was the only one he had, which hes had hidden in his stock for I think he said 15 years,"SUPER RARE!". Also got what he said was the only approved shirt press of Bolt Thrower - Mercenary.

Also, over the weekend my band put out a split with Macabra(one of the bands of Mark Riddick, a pretty big metal artist if you are unfamiliar).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkT7TCF8hfQ

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

ya this weekend was insane.. the setup was better than the outdoor stages imo, more time to relax in between sets and get food and drinks and merch shop and still catch everything I really wanted to.

I enjoyed these bands the most:

North
Conan
Decrepit Birth.. playing Crystal Mountain as the closer was a very nice touch too
Skeletal Remains
Morbid Saint
Sargeist
Noothgrush which might be the angriest band around
UADA... maybe the best performance of them all
Exhumed
Exumer
Agoraphobic Nosebleed
...I wanted to go see Insect Warfare but I thought Grave was too good to leave, then after I saw IW being streamed and drat I started to regret it a bit
Junior Bruce
Behexen
Akercocke
Candlemass.. so.. loving.. heavy

I also bought Bolt Thrower and Demolition Hammer shirts from that guy, he rules.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Wyzt posted:

Favorite Sets:
Root
Their studio output has been absolute poo poo since Blackie left after Madness of the Graves so I'm happy to see that at least their live show is still excellent

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I don't go to mdf but every year a few of the bands also play in NYC so I love that it brings them to the east coast. Noothgrush played with Iron Lung at Saint Vitus and both were great.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm

Vulture Culture posted:

Their studio output has been absolute poo poo since Blackie left after Madness of the Graves so I'm happy to see that at least their live show is still excellent

They played one song off the new Kargeras album, which from what I've seen has gotten a better reception. Ive only had one chance to listen to it so far but I liked it, so might be worth checking out if you havent. I haven't gotten into any other non-blackie albums, but I enjoyed the new Kargeras.

Other then that everything else they played was off Blackie. A guy I know in Chicago whos form Czech and has known Big Boss since before the first album said Big Boss wanted to play an old school set since its their first, and possible last due to age/health, show in the USA. He wanted to play what he knew people wanted to hear. That fest was worth the trip for me alone, one of my favorite bands.

Varg posted:

...I wanted to go see Insect Warfare but I thought Grave was too good to leave, then after I saw IW being streamed and drat I started to regret it a bit

I was watching the time and left Grave in time for Insect Warfare. No way was I missing Rahi's stage banter. Dude is the funniest guy on stage out of anyone. "LEMME SEE THAT SHIRT, THIS A BOOTLEG?! WHO THE gently caress MADE THIS, IMMA FIND YOU"

Wyzt fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 30, 2017

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Henchman of Santa posted:

I'm listening to Jungle Rot now just to spite you

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I enjoy Jungle Rot.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
They're the death metal equivalent of a metalcore band that does nothing but breakdowns. Or Bolt Thrower if they couldn't write an interesting riff to save their lives.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This morning I noticed Running Death snuck out a new album a couple weeks ago:

https://runningdeath.bandcamp.com/album/dressage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk0rW1o2pFU

I'm going to give it the "it slays" label.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Wyzt posted:

Also, over the weekend my band put out a split with Macabra(one of the bands of Mark Riddick, a pretty big metal artist if you are unfamiliar).

This was good, thanks. Love the "train whistle" vocals too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
MDF was great, it has come a long way from the shitshow that used to cut off their headliners while they played in a parking lot, under a bridge, or in a vinyl tent. They still had a couple shitheads working there, though.

The three bands that impressed me the most were Root, Acheron, and Candlemass - I had doubts about all of them going in, but they were incredible! Angelcorpse were a hell of a surprise, too. Sargeist, Behexen, Uada, Autopsy, Morbid Saint, and others were great, and all except MS were better than the previous times I had seen them.

Wyzt posted:

This sounds good! I should've (might have?) met you at MDF. I did hang out in the Chicago crew party rooms on Thursday, with 15 maniacs sharing two rooms. Maybe I met you on Saturday or Sunday, or maybe you've heard tales of me...