Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Slime posted:

He was, but he ate some of the people to the side.

I have the fortune to be "the fat one" of three siblings. I'm also six inches+ taller than my brother or sister. When we meet people as a family I often joke that there was once a fourth sibling, but I ate them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

Mock the Cross posted:

Do anyone know why the fedora guys keep pulling this specific pose? A reference?

Referencing a confusing amalgamation of Michael Jackson, West Side Story, and early Bob Fosse work.

Like the hat, the pose comes from things they don't really understand but still want to replicate.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Slime posted:

He was, but he ate some of the people to the side.

Logic checks out.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Huh, guess they do make shoes for the pigeon toed.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

whiteyfats posted:

Why isn't the fat(test) one in the middle?

Give it time and the system will reach equilibrium.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

I wanted to see if he'd do the "shrimp tail into the pocket" trick, and he did!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Ak Gara posted:

Yeah then why is Space so cold?

Not a funny picture, but the space that astronauts most frequently inhabit has a very high temperature, up to 2,500°C (4,530°F)!

Everything above 100km is considered space for the purpose of international law, and the Thermosphere can get quite "hot", but it would still feel cold. Humans don't feel temperature, but instead we feel heat transfer. This is why you can stick your hand in a 450°F oven but not in 450°F oil. I mean, you can do either but you might regret the latter.

You can be hit in the face by a jet of 2,500°C particles and have your face melted off or freeze off depending on how many particles are hitting you per second. If what is hitting your face is good at transferring heat because it's dense (like the 450°F oil) it will feel much hotter than something bad at transferring heat - like if it's low density like air or like silica foam space tiles:

These are actually 94% air by volume. That chunk is a very high temperature (hence the red glow) but it's not going to transfer that heat into your hand when you pick it up. You're only touching a very small amount of the hot particles, and the edges have already had 10 seconds to cool off while the inside is still slowly transferring its heat outwards.

Reverse the scenario - you can have very very cold things not freeze you to death. Frozen ice cream balls are tiny for a reason. They are much colder than normal ice cream, -50°F instead of 0°F. This is why they delightfully stick to your tongue for a second, the melting sensation perhaps not entirely worth the :10bux:. If they were larger (or if you took a very large spoonful) then your body's ability to rewarm your tongue before pain or frostbite might be insufficient. Think of it like this:

Yeah, that's a large, dense, solid object. Lots of heat being pulled away from you.

So how could space, with 2,500°C particles, freeze you to death? Transferring heat occurs via conduction (two things touching), convection (which is honestly just fancy moving conduction) and radiation. It's the radiation that kills the space man without a space suit. While he could be swimming in a bath of 2,500°C particles, they're only giving him a tiny amount of heat. They're the Dippin Dots of boiling your face off. If that's at one end of the tug-of-war trying to slooooowly heat you up, the other end is The Incredible Hulk pulling heat out of you via radiation, though not the gamma rays that gave him his powers. All objects radiate heat. You sitting in a room lose heat to radiation, but you also gain heat from radiation coming at you from your surroundings. If your surroundings are radiating enough heat back at you, like in a comfortable room, you hardly notice radiation because it's a net zero.

If you're sitting in front of a bonfire, even if the wind is blowing the hot air away from you, you can feel how unbalanced radiation can get.

If you're in space, completely surrounded with low-density, high-temperature particles, you will lose heat via radiation far quicker than gaining it from the intermittent smack of 2,500°F particles, and you will die. That is, only if you're too far from other sources of heat, like the Sun! I can't check the math, but Space.com states that at our distance from the sun, the normal equilibrium of radiation from the sun and radiation away into space is 45°F. That's an average, of course, and if you've got something nearby shading you from the sun (like the Earth) or other local effects it gets much colder.

If you wanted, you could calculate how close to the sun you'd have to be for the sun's radiation in front of you to match your body's radiation behind you. If equilibrium is 45°F at Earth's distance from the sun, there's a sweet spot orbit closer to the sun that space would feel like quite a comfortable temperature. That is, until you take into account heat and water lost due to evaporation...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_exposure posted:

The least severe of these is the freezing of bodily secretions due to evaporative cooling.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Nrrrrrrd

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

So what happened to his super secret super plan to wipe out ISIS within 30 days?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Stoatbringer posted:

So what happened to his super secret super plan to wipe out ISIS within 30 days?

Nobody knew wiping a terrorist organization from the face of the Earth could be so complicated!

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Thanks Brian, that was interesting!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

lol meatshoes

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BrianBoitano posted:

A wall of information

https://vtt.tumblr.com/tumblr_omkkquH0IF1t0kmxz.mp4#_=_

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Ak Gara posted:

Yeah then why is Space so cold?

This is what got me into Flat Earth.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Stoatbringer posted:

Technically he wanted to be given a plan within 30 days that would destroy isis not that he had a plan that would destroy isis within 30 days

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

That's really loving cool.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

BrianBoitano posted:

Not a funny picture, but the space that astronauts most frequently inhabit has a very high temperature, up to 2,500°C (4,530°F)!

Everything above 100km is considered space for the purpose of international law, and the Thermosphere can get quite "hot", but it would still feel cold. Humans don't feel temperature, but instead we feel heat transfer. This is why you can stick your hand in a 450°F oven but not in 450°F oil. I mean, you can do either but you might regret the latter.

You can be hit in the face by a jet of 2,500°C particles and have your face melted off or freeze off depending on how many particles are hitting you per second. If what is hitting your face is good at transferring heat because it's dense (like the 450°F oil) it will feel much hotter than something bad at transferring heat - like if it's low density like air or like silica foam space tiles:

These are actually 94% air by volume. That chunk is a very high temperature (hence the red glow) but it's not going to transfer that heat into your hand when you pick it up. You're only touching a very small amount of the hot particles, and the edges have already had 10 seconds to cool off while the inside is still slowly transferring its heat outwards.

Reverse the scenario - you can have very very cold things not freeze you to death. Frozen ice cream balls are tiny for a reason. They are much colder than normal ice cream, -50°F instead of 0°F. This is why they delightfully stick to your tongue for a second, the melting sensation perhaps not entirely worth the :10bux:. If they were larger (or if you took a very large spoonful) then your body's ability to rewarm your tongue before pain or frostbite might be insufficient. Think of it like this:

Yeah, that's a large, dense, solid object. Lots of heat being pulled away from you.

So how could space, with 2,500°C particles, freeze you to death? Transferring heat occurs via conduction (two things touching), convection (which is honestly just fancy moving conduction) and radiation. It's the radiation that kills the space man without a space suit. While he could be swimming in a bath of 2,500°C particles, they're only giving him a tiny amount of heat. They're the Dippin Dots of boiling your face off. If that's at one end of the tug-of-war trying to slooooowly heat you up, the other end is The Incredible Hulk pulling heat out of you via radiation, though not the gamma rays that gave him his powers. All objects radiate heat. You sitting in a room lose heat to radiation, but you also gain heat from radiation coming at you from your surroundings. If your surroundings are radiating enough heat back at you, like in a comfortable room, you hardly notice radiation because it's a net zero.

If you're sitting in front of a bonfire, even if the wind is blowing the hot air away from you, you can feel how unbalanced radiation can get.

If you're in space, completely surrounded with low-density, high-temperature particles, you will lose heat via radiation far quicker than gaining it from the intermittent smack of 2,500°F particles, and you will die. That is, only if you're too far from other sources of heat, like the Sun! I can't check the math, but Space.com states that at our distance from the sun, the normal equilibrium of radiation from the sun and radiation away into space is 45°F. That's an average, of course, and if you've got something nearby shading you from the sun (like the Earth) or other local effects it gets much colder.

If you wanted, you could calculate how close to the sun you'd have to be for the sun's radiation in front of you to match your body's radiation behind you. If equilibrium is 45°F at Earth's distance from the sun, there's a sweet spot orbit closer to the sun that space would feel like quite a comfortable temperature. That is, until you take into account heat and water lost due to evaporation...

cool poo poo thanks for posting

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

That space shuttle tiles thing is pretty cool, I looked it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp9Yax8UNoM

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

oldpainless posted:

Technically he wanted to be given a plan within 30 days that would destroy isis not that he had a plan that would destroy isis within 30 days

More like Oldplanless...

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

IUG posted:

Yeah! It's fun stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CchPemGaEmw&t=452s
The beginning of this video discusses how they make it, but this part shows how the hydrophobic treatment they put on it repels normal water but could be used as a reusable oil spill cleanup sponge :3:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

:golfclap:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

IUG posted:

They'd be a lot loving cooler if they weren't so fragile

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-
This is a long image

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Yep. A lot of those are pure racism. Hilarious.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Zesty posted:

It's now racist to make jokes about yourself if you're a POC. You heard it here first!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Cooler Daniel looks cool af

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Zesty posted:

Don't you usually pick your own yearbook quote?

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

being racist against your own race is edgy af

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Dungeon Ecology posted:

being racist against your own race is edgy af

It's called "reclaiming" and it is the height of progressivism. See "slut walks" etc.

Like this image showcasing a tranny in the bathroom.

I can post this because I identify as an auto part.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

lol, jesus Christ they pick their own quotes

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zesty posted:

Holy poo poo, are you serious?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I think Zesty was implying that those quotes were photoshopped in by someone.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I'm very disappointed Carlos Carlos' quote wasn't "Carlos".

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Paladinus posted:

I think Zesty was implying that those quotes were photoshopped in by someone.

what if they were also photoshopped in by a POC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Hot Smart ARYAN Girl posted:

lol, jesus Christ they pick their own quotes

Assuming they aren't Photoshops. Which most probably aren't.

E:f,b