Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Choco1980 posted:

I'm going to recommend you only emulate on your phone if you have external storage capability. Roms and saves will eat up your memory fast. Anyways, MyBoy! is easy enough to find in app stores. I have the free version, which doesn't have the bells and whistles, like savestates or whatever, but that's okay. It's pretty straightforward, and phone emulators usually assume you're going to control the games via touch screen overlay (usually transparent), though I've discovered that even better is to buy a bluetooth gamepad (they aren't expensive) as most emulators are compatible with them. I recommend one that comes with a clip to secure your phone to the pad, as that's easier than trying to juggle the two.

And I forgot to mention I'm on iOS. So chances are, I gotta dig a bit deeper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

widespread posted:

And I forgot to mention I'm on iOS. So chances are, I gotta dig a bit deeper?

Oh, you may be screwed then. It looks like Apple doesn't allow emulators on the app store, and does their best to patch out whatever methods the emulator makers find to get them installed.

Sounds like there is one called GBA4ios that may be working in its 2.1 version right now that you can install, just not through the ios store.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Khisanth Magus posted:

Oh, you may be screwed then. It looks like Apple doesn't allow emulators on the app store, and does their best to patch out whatever methods the emulator makers find to get them installed.

Sounds like there is one called GBA4ios that may be working in its 2.1 version right now that you can install, just not through the ios store.

Found it. For reference, what does revocation mean? Just the app could stop working?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

widespread posted:

Found it. For reference, what does revocation mean? Just the app could stop working?

Yeah, basically Apple just stops the app from working.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Can anyone recommend a good GBA emulator for the PSP? I remember playing FFVI on it several years ago but I seem to have deleted the emulator that I used to use.

It would be nice to go back to FFVa after a few years of fun with the Mobile version, but I'd like to play it on a mobile device with an actual gamepad and I'd let Squeenix take my money soooo much if they'd just bother to release the Advance games on the 3DS store :(

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Obviously owning a copy of the GBA game is impractical for most people right now, but if you use a ROM of it I don't think it'd be inappropriate to donate the cost to charity. Game with honour.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

agradine posted:

It would be nice to go back to FFVa after a few years of fun with the Mobile version, but I'd like to play it on a mobile device with an actual gamepad and I'd let Squeenix take my money soooo much if they'd just bother to release the Advance games on the 3DS store :(

I would too, if not for the fact that GBA games are locked to the New 3DS.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Countblanc posted:

Obviously owning a copy of the GBA game is impractical for most people right now, but if you use a ROM of it I don't think it'd be inappropriate to donate the cost to charity. Game with honour.

I own 3 copies of FF5 already: Original Super Famicom cart, physical GBA copy, official android version.

I think I've played my dues.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Countblanc posted:

If not this, then at least finish your fiesta runs in a day so you can comply with the law and delete the ROMs after 24 hours like all of the rest of us do.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Khisanth Magus posted:

I own 3 copies of FF5 already: Original Super Famicom cart, physical GBA copy, official android version.

I think I've played my dues.
Yeah, I still own my physical GBA copy (and also rebought it on iOS) and a method to play it (still own my GameCube with the GBA Player), so really emulating is more of a matter of convenience to me; the allure of VBA's savestates and fast-forward is too much to resist.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

Excited for the fiesta this year. I was hoping to do ten runs this year since that's the amount I almost did last year, but I don't have a very reliable way to play this year. I did convince some friends to do it this year.

Now to convince them to berserkerrisk.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Trasson posted:

A Game Boy Micro.

Busted both of ours out and bought them new batteries. Now Mrs. Fai and I get to fight over who gets to use the Game Boy Player/projector setup and who gets a handheld :laugh:

Trasson posted:

If not this, then at least finish your fiesta runs in a day so you can comply with the law and delete the ROMs after 24 hours like all of the rest of us do.

There is no "24 hour law." It's a made-up thing, like when someone insists that you can use up to X seconds of copyrighted music without having to get permission/pay for it. There's no getting around the fact that when you boot up a ROM, you're violating the law.

Now whether anyone gives a poo poo or not is a different story. I'm certainly not going to judge someone who plays a FFV ROM for charity.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

There is no "24 hour law." It's a made-up thing

whooosh

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Any opinion on whether or not to use the job unlock mod for a first ever clear of FFV? I'm by no means an expert on the game but I do have previous experience with it. I have played the game multiple times towards end game but never actually fought the last boss. Does the mod also unlock monster encyclopedia or how am I supposed to understand the screenshots in OP? If so, it sounds like a good idea to unlock it just to avoid having to Google every monster weakness or carried items.

edit: vvvv lol what is up with that quote???

jyrque fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 26, 2017

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

jyrque posted:

Any opinion on whether or not to use the job unlock mod for a first ever cleaght the last boss. Does the mod also unlock monster encyclopedia or how am I supposed to understand the screenshots in OP? If so, it sounds like a good idea to unlockr of FFV? I'm by no means an expert on the game but I do have previous experience with it. I have played the game multiple times towards end game but never actually fou it just to avoid having to Google every monster weakness or carried items.

It won't really do anything for you unless you do Chaos.

I don't think it unlocks the bestiary, but there's probably a bestiary in the OP anyway.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

There's no getting around the fact that when you boot up a ROM, you're violating the law.

Welp, guess I'd better do this year's fiesta on the one legitimate copy of FFV I own - the PSX version.

Okay not really. I'd do it for a donation incentive or something, but otherwise I gotta have my emulator fast forward button.

RitzBlues
May 30, 2014
So glad that this event is back! I'll be using the fiesta mod. Last year I liked the idea of dragoons, but they're pretty weak sauce throughout the game. Thankfully Black Mage made decent use out of !Lancet. See you goons on Discord.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Mountaineer posted:

Welp, guess I'd better do this year's fiesta on the one legitimate copy of FFV I own - the PSX version.

Okay not really. I'd do it for a donation incentive or something, but otherwise I gotta have my emulator fast forward button.

Yeah, I don't think anybody is going to mind. Streamers and youtubers blatantly use ROMs all the time and nobody calls them out on it. I don't give a crap how you play as long as you have fun :toot:

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
Fiestamod trends towards making the game *very slightly* more difficult unless you like playing on Chaos, in which case it slants more towards protecting you from some of its worst excesses. If you're playing lots of Chaos runs to prove game mastery or because you like prevailing over absurd and arcane self-imposed challenges, give it a pass and pull the lever until it dishes out a 4 WHM Byblos run, but otherwise you're not *really* missing much.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Yay, can't wait for the new fiesta! First year was 2015 where I got a decent magic party (Black Mage / Red Mage / Geomancer / Dragoon, basically carried by dualcasting BM spells) while the year after was a more interesting physical party (Monk / Berserker / Beastmaster / Samurai, where I was pretty much saved at the end by quad releasing giant birds that took off most of neo-exdeaths HP). This year I kind of want to rig a stupidly overpowered run and buy a blue mage / chemist.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

jyrque posted:

Any opinion on whether or not to use the job unlock mod for a first ever clear of FFV? I'm by no means an expert on the game but I do have previous experience with it. I have played the game multiple times towards end game but never actually fought the last boss. Does the mod also unlock monster encyclopedia or how am I supposed to understand the screenshots in OP? If so, it sounds like a good idea to unlock it just to avoid having to Google every monster weakness or carried items.

Just go to the final fantasy wikia site to look up the monsters. While the site's not perfect, it's pretty great for things like bestiaries and item and spell lists. Probably in a three way tie with Marvel and DC for the wikia I look at the most/most useful.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

My preference for an all-in-one site would be FFV - Spirit of Heroes. It still won't have everything - that's for the algorithms FAQ (which you should also look up to have on hand) - but it's got a lot less extraneous fluff to it than the wiki.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah, FFV Spirit is my go-to (and in the OP :v:), that and the algorithms guide.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

jyrque posted:

Habit. I'm used to threads moving faster.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Ablative posted:

Habit. I'm used to threads moving faster.

No I mean look at the content. Looks like it mixed up my initial post draft together with my actual post. That's weird.

re: mod talk, if Fiestamod is only useful for chaos then I guess I'll pass on it.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

jyrque posted:

No I mean look at the content. Looks like it mixed up my initial post draft together with my actual post. That's weird.

re: mod talk, if Fiestamod is only useful for chaos then I guess I'll pass on it.

Chaos, Pure Chaos, and BERZERKER RISK runs could use the Fiestamod.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

jyrque posted:

Wow. I did not notice.

Also, the mod does change one thing other than unlocking all the jobs. It's purely aesthetic, but it's wonderful.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I would seriously recommend playing the fiestamod just for that thing.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
What are the different modes? OP doesn't really explain them other than regular and chaos (any job possible from any crystal)? What's this 750 stuff?

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

jyrque posted:

What are the different modes? OP doesn't really explain them other than regular and chaos (any job possible from any crystal)? What's this 750 stuff?

750 is "jobs that can break rods", named after the price of a rod.
No-750 is the opposite.
Natural is bad, don't play Natural.
Classic is bad, don't play Classic.
Random gets you a job from any crystal you've unlocked.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Ablative posted:

750 is "jobs that can break rods", named after the price of a rod.
No-750 is the opposite.
Natural is bad, don't play Natural.
Classic is bad, don't play Classic.
Random gets you a job from any crystal you've unlocked.

To be specific (Because it's not actually jobs that break rods anymore), 750 is White Mage, Black Mage, Blue Mage, Time Mage, Summoner, Red Mage, Geomancer, Bard, Chemist, Dancer. No-750 is everything else except for Freelancer, Mime, and GBA classes.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Yet another year I find myself wishing there was a mode where I could sign up for 5 consecutive runs with no duplicate jobs. Which got be thinking of a fun bit of theory crafting to kill time until the fiesta starts.

If you had to complete 5 separate runs using each job once and only once, how would you distribute those jobs?

I got as far as:
Time Mage, , ,
Beastmaseter, , ,
Bard, , ,
Chemist, , ,
Mystic Knight, Ranger, ,

This gives each team a shot at beating Omega. You'd probably want to stuff all the lovely jobs with Chemist, because even a Geomancer can use Mix.

What does everyone else think?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Natural has each character stuck in one job and not able to use other jobs. Classic is the same except each character is one of the six jobs from FF1. Both are boring and miss the whole point of the Fiesta, mixing and matching jobs to your advantage.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

The only good way to run a Classic run is to pull out your NES (or your GBA copy of Dawn of Souls) and just loving play FF1 since your nostalgia thirst is that unbearable. The FF1-styled classes are 50% garbage and god help your soul if you get 4x Thief/Monk/Red Mage.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Except for that one ability, Red Mage is so bad in this game. The cutoff for what they can learn is way too harsh.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Except for that one ability, Red Mage is so bad in this game. The cutoff for what they can learn is way too harsh.

Simply adding L4 magic would help tremendously.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Also,

ZiegeDame posted:

Yet another year I find myself wishing there was a mode where I could sign up for 5 consecutive runs with no duplicate jobs. Which got be thinking of a fun bit of theory crafting to kill time until the fiesta starts.

If you had to complete 5 separate runs using each job once and only once, how would you distribute those jobs?

I got as far as:
Time Mage, , ,
Beastmaseter, , ,
Bard, , ,
Chemist, , ,
Mystic Knight, Ranger, ,

This gives each team a shot at beating Omega. You'd probably want to stuff all the lovely jobs with Chemist, because even a Geomancer can use Mix.

Based on your starts:

Time Mage/Summoner/Red Mage/Samurai aka "team making GBS threads out damage"; even a Red Mage can use !Zeninage, and Time Mage and Summoner both love Dualcast.
Beastmaster/Black Mage/Blue Mage/Knight aka "the brute force method"; not much finesse here past pokemon antics and juggling flame and/or wall rings for defense.
Bard/Monk/White Mage/Dragoon aka "sing 2 win"; Bard needs something that can pierce defenses or else it can't beat Omega, Dragoons jumping with Tridents manages that (as do Monk criticals, though that's less feasible in an Omega fight). Bard makes Monk not poo poo. White Mage keeps your two damage sponges standing.
Chemist/Geomancer/Dancer/Thief aka "chemist solo run". None of these classes work great overall, though Chicken Dancing provides a late-game offensive alternative to !Mix spam. Thief makes life minorly easier, but not much.
Mystic Knight/Ranger/Ninja/Berserker aka ":black101:". Berserker likes Dual Wield. Ranger and Mystic Knight like !Rapidfire. Ninja likes everything.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

ZiegeDame posted:

I got as far as:
Time Mage, , ,
Beastmaseter, , ,
Bard, , ,
Chemist, , ,
Mystic Knight, Ranger, ,

This actually seems really fun, maybe if I get a couple back-to-back runs with no job overlap I'll randomize the remaining jobs for three more runs and just job fair it.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Chemist/Geomancer/Dancer/Thief is gonna hate its life when it hits SoulCannon, before it has Chemist. Give it Red Mage.

Ninja pairs best with a class that can donate a high magic score, so !Throw can spread its wings fully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I think Geo/Ninja would be nice since it lets Geo's high magic score shine for once with !Throw.

• Locked thread