Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

boner confessor posted:

unfortunately most of that plastic waste is marine plastic, nets and buoys and stuff, which you want to be as nondegradable as possible

hahahahaha no lots of poor countries still dump plastic waste straight into the oceans

the pacific garbage patch has thousands of metric tons of plastic waste, that's not all from lost buoys and old nets

also "biodegradable plastics" are kinda a sham, they're made with polymers that photodegrade quickly -- but only a percentage. what that means is they're good and breaking apart into lots of near-microscopic pieces. So you don't get the sad stories of sea turtles choking to death on shopping bags, but you do get plastic entering the food chain from the bottom. Research on how bad microplastics might be for us is still early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Pharohman777 posted:

This thread makes the best lovely startup names. Just remove every vowel in a word and you have the name of a hot new company for VC firms to dump money into.

There's an app for that

Vwlrmvr

how many of you just googled that

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Weatherman posted:

There's an app for that

Vwlrmvr

Back in the day the hot community-management technology was "disemvoweling," removing the vowels from bad posts. It was going to save us all from internet bigots. Ha ha. Haha. Ha.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

PJOmega posted:

Is there a bicycle tag app yet? Where you register to get chased, and a courier gets paid if they tag you. Could sell it to fitness enthusiasts and as a exercise experience.

I know there's one that encourages you to run by making it sound like zombies are chasing you. Think how immersive it was if it was other players chasing you!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Weatherman posted:

There's an app for that

Vwlrmvr

I got a bunch of people making the same joke.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

FilthyImp posted:

There's an ambulance ride app that reminds me of that, because they're missing like 2 vowels in their name.

I refuse to believe there's an ambulance ride app. I also know someone is about to list off 7 that already exist. :gonk:

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Ambulances are often used for non-emergency transportation, especially if someone can't ride in a normal car due to a disability or if they need a medical professional to monitor them during their trip. I doubt if anyone is using these apps as a replacement for 911.

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day
In the UK you can basically use ambulances as taxis if where you want to go is near a hospital and you think you can outrun the ambulance staff.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
[url= https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/may/26/ubers-london-licence-renewed-for-only-four-months]Uber's London minicab licence in danger[/url], they get a four month extension. TfL looking to gently caress around with minicabs in general, which isn't good.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/said_mitch/status/868226778845859841

Plucky little Google.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

They don't even have many employees by big company standards, what in the honest gently caress.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lawyers will say anything to stall for time.

Commissar Kayla
Dec 27, 2008
Lawyer friend of mine commented on this with "I am reminded of how many corporation's lawyers will say, with a straight face, that their client's records are kept on microfiche".

They will literally say anything.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/FortuneMagazine/status/867489160889815040

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

do they have a mailing address? because i don't want to donate online, but i'd love to send them a 20oz bottle of my piss via UPS

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

DC Murderverse posted:

do they have a mailing address? because i don't want to donate online, but i'd love to send them a 20oz bottle of my piss via UPS

Introducing Pissr, the service which allows you to send your piss anonymously, online!

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
https://mailadick.com/

http://shipadick.com/

Benagain fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 29, 2017

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Dick Bouquet. You know you want to.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
It's not an excuse for Google, but I'd venture the majority of Fortune 500 companies have complete garbage IT systems that would struggle to meet that request.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Kim Jong Il posted:

It's not an excuse for Google, but I'd venture the majority of Fortune 500 companies have complete garbage IT systems that would struggle to meet that request.

I'm pretty sure if you don't have a database with a robust query language you should be run out of business. Like seriously?

Select avg(pay) from personnel where sex = 'f'

But more than that, how do you run a business when you can't report your costs properly. How on earth do you not know every aspect of labor costs? If you don't know that stuff, how do you meet compliance requirements, many of which reduce your tax burden, or help you get reimbursed by customers, or help you pay less to your venders?

anonumos fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 29, 2017

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

anonumos posted:

I'm pretty sure if you don't have a database with a robust query language you should be run out of business. Like seriously?

But more than that, how do you run a business when you can't report your costs properly. How on earth do you not know every aspect of labor costs? If you don't know that stuff, how do you meet compliance requirements, many of which reduce your tax burden, or help you get reimbursed by customers, or help you pay less to your venders?

Cause it's a lie to stall for time :ssh:

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

anonumos posted:

I agree with you in principle bit I'm a bit concerned that you seem to think fortune 500 companies keep payroll info in an Excel doc

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Quandary posted:

I agree with you in principle bit I'm a bit concerned that you seem to think fortune 500 companies keep payroll info in an Excel doc

What implies that? SQL has functions, you know.

(Though it wouldn't surprise me in the least if there's more than one F500 company using Excel for some significant portion of their accounting.)

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Google, whom is trying to quantify human existence for ad revenue, can't tell what it pays it staff.

I feel like that should be in contempt of court its such a bad lie.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

RuanGacho posted:

Google, whom is trying to quantify human existence for ad revenue, can't tell what it pays it staff.

That would set a bad precedent, they'd have to throw most defense and probably most prosecuting attorneys in jail.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

RuanGacho posted:

You say it is "too burdensome" because that is a judgement call not a statement of fact. People can't prove you wrong, people can only have a different opinion on what "too burdensome" means. That's why you can weasel word out of stuff like that without running the dangers openly lying to a court has. :eng101:

The correct response of the court, of course, would be to say "lolno, that's doable. Do it or we make you."

Aside: Facebook once tried to argue that nobody at its headquarters in Ireland was able to read or recognize German in order to nullify being served a lawsuit.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That would set a bad precedent, they'd have to throw most defense and probably most prosecuting attorneys in jail.

Yeah i get it, its just such a farce its annoying.

Randler posted:

You say it is "too burdensome" because that is a judgement call not a statement of fact. People can't prove you wrong, people can only have a different opinion on what "too burdensome" means. That's why you can weasel word out of stuff like that without running the dangers openly lying to a court has. :eng101:

The correct response of the court, of course, would be to say "lolno, that's doable. Do it or we make you."

Aside: Facebook once tried to argue that nobody at its headquarters in Ireland was able to read or recognize German in order to nullify being served a lawsuit.

What did the court say, oh in that case have a bedtime story?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

RuanGacho posted:

What did the court say, oh in that case have a bedtime story?

Once upon a time, there was a young man in Germany who was registered on Facebook. One day this young man wanted to check his Facebook only to see that his account had been deactivated by Facebook. He was surprised and sent an e-mail to Facebook's support. They told him, they had nothing to say to him, because for reasons of security they do not give details on why they block accounts.

But the young man was German so he went forth and visited his lawyer. The lawyer drew up a lawsuit that requested 1) re-activation of the young man's facebook account, 2) payment of the lawyer's fees as damages. Now obviously the lawsuit was drafted in German, because English is the language of the common law world and no righteous German lawyer would ever want to be associated with the depressing spectactle that is Anglo-American common law. [1]

Now the lawyer sent the lawsuit to the court and the court sent it to Facebook, by which I mean Facebook Ireland Ltd., an Irish company having its head office in Ireland. [2] At this point in time, the lawsuit is still entirely in German, except for the word Facebook itself, which as a proper noun got not translated in the more apt German Gesichtsbratzenundkatzenbuch. The court also included a note with the day of the trial.

On the day of the trial the young man and his lawyer appeared, but Facebook was nowhere to be seen. Before the court date they only send somebody without power of attorney who wrote things about the serving of process. "Well, now, this has been a waste of time", thinks the young men, but the lawyer could allay his fears. "Worry not, young man! In Germany, if you do not show up on your civil court date you will just lose the case pursuant to the rules of the Versäumnisurteil[3]." The judge nodded his head, "Your lawyer speaks truly. There are some formalities, especially a valid serving of process to the other party, but that all seems to be in order here, so I'll grant you your requests!"

Because our story plays in Germany, the verdict comes with reasons which include counterarguments to what Facebook said.

Facebook said, "We have not been served! We have not been served!" and slowly turned into a corncob. According to sources speaking corn, Facebook pointed out that intra-EU serving of process have to be performed in a language that the recipient understands or that is the official language of the country the recipient resides. "Corn Corn Corn (Our legal department in Ireland does not speak German and nor does our board of directors."), they said.

To which the German judge said:

:frogout:

Your Terms of Service are in German.

Your Privacy policy is in German.

Your Cookie policy is in German.

You have over 20 million customers in Germany.

You did not even stipulate that all communications with regard to the Facebook-customer relation are to be conducted in non-German.

Your customer service responded to the German young man in German.

So, yeah, no. You don't get to claim Facebook Ireland Ltd. does not speak German. :colbert:

And thus Facebook lost the case but reportedly tried has already filed thet applicable appeal. But the summary judgement is still existing and it can theoretically be exceuted if need be. :kheldragar:

Oh, also, if they no-show again, they lose and don't get to appeal again.

Further reading:

[1]
[2] Yes, you have to specify that due to EU freedoms. You can have Dutch N.V. sitting in London nowadays.
[3] ~ "summary judgement" [4] https://www.berlin.de/gerichte/presse/pressemitteilungen-der-ordentlichen-gerichtsbarkeit/2017/pressemitteilung.581603.php German pressrelease and download of verdict

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Randler posted:

the word Facebook itself, which as a proper noun got not translated in the more apt German Gesichtsbratzenundkatzenbuch.

LOL

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
Thats fantastic. Will Facebook face any further fees, or just the young man's legal costs? It'd be great if they got slapped with some large fines.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

anonumos posted:

My guess is that their thought process goes something like this:
- Grouping just by gender almost certainly yields a very large pay gap
- Grouping by gender, role, level, tenure at Google, experience prior to Google, probably yields a pretty small pay gap on average

The first part looks the worst and is inevitably going to be reported, and that's what they are trying to avoid. The latter is mostly the 'right' way of doing things but all the nuance there will get ignored.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

blah_blah posted:

My guess is that their thought process goes something like this:
- Grouping just by gender almost certainly yields a very large pay gap
- Grouping by gender, role, level, tenure at Google, experience prior to Google, probably yields a pretty small pay gap on average

The first part looks the worst and is inevitably going to be reported, and that's what they are trying to avoid. The latter is mostly the 'right' way of doing things but all the nuance there will get ignored.

And the latter can easily be misleading. Google has several "levels" that do effectively the same stuff and that sets your pay band. So if women are not getting promoted to senior as quickly as men then it'll show up in the first one and not the second.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Nah guys it's just some SQL. Anyone can read w3schools and trivially satisfy the judge's request.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

And the latter can easily be misleading. Google has several "levels" that do effectively the same stuff and that sets your pay band. So if women are not getting promoted to senior as quickly as men then it'll show up in the first one and not the second.

I listed 'tenure at Google' as a feature there, so if the real causal factor of women getting paid less is that their pay/level growth is much slower after joining then you'd be able to back that out of the gender/level/tenure at Google data in theory (though you'd probably also need the level they joined at as another feature, and you'd also want to know their starting comp as well, and so on ...).

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

What is the German language? We just don't know.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

super sweet best pal posted:

What is the German language? We just don't know.

I was laughing at it being "Face and cat book".

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
Plan for new Silicon valley start up do not steal

1) Claim that gut microbiome is linked to creativity and intelligence. Propagate myth on various pseudoscience message boards.
2) Claim that gut microbiome can be changed through a mixture of cleanses and consumption of feces.
3) Sell the feces of "Silicon Valley Visionaries" to idiots.
4) Maybe use a subscription model I dunno.

It would all end with a non-zero number of people eating poo poo and tweeting excitedly about it, something we could all be proud of.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Plan for new Silicon valley start up do not steal

1) Claim that gut microbiome is linked to creativity and intelligence. Propagate myth on various pseudoscience message boards.
2) Claim that gut microbiome can be changed through a mixture of cleanses and consumption of feces.
3) Sell the feces of "Silicon Valley Visionaries" to idiots.
4) Maybe use a subscription model I dunno.

There would be a non-zero number of people who would buy this completely as long as it fit reasonably comfortably into the all natural pseudoscience. It would even be profitable if I could get a few celebrities to tweet about it.

You do know that fecal transplants are a thing, right?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Also probiotic yogurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Of course. There's even evidence that the gut microbiome can affect mood and behavior. There's just enough science to add a veneer of respectability.