Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

No Wave posted:

Dudu sucks but otherwise you will eventually find that that is an incorrect opinion.

Although playing against players who don't own scorch would be great.

I do wish cow was still a free card though, new players playing pwc was like a rite of passage and its moo was like the official sound of f2p gwent.

F2P Cow died to prevent degenerate meme Skellige decks that just fill the board with Chorts apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!
Anyone got a decent NG Reveal I could netdeck?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The leader changes seem great so far. They took cards that were situationally great if you drew them at the right time - like kayran, reinforcement, triss butt, etc - and made them guaranteed draws, balancing them from there. Leader strength values allow for additional balance tweaking so that we don't get into another dagon scenario either. Really cool.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

This is the NR deck I tried to make, it seems to work ok - im winning in casual. First time trying not to just steal a list from gwentdb, thoughts welcome.

You can ves twice a game with roche, trololo and nenneke+reaver which is a lot of blue stripes being pulled.

I found field medics too disruptive to use.

I find it hard to remember to foltest first.

I am afraid of geralt: igni

The extra mulligans mean I basically try to baby the one muster card to the third round after bleeding a bit in two and dandelioning two of them after buffing them up with the sergeants. I played a lot of ST so I play it kind of similarly. Dandelion can also buff blue stripes you send to deck with nenneke so they get pulled by 6 STR in hand from sergeants.

Qmass fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 25, 2017

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.

No Mods No Masters posted:

I like you gwent goons, here's a fun deck I've been climbing with based on what I was able to open. Use crach to bring out morkvarg the magic unremoveable minion, then put all the buffs on morkvarg. It's surprisingly solid and it would be even better with the golden longship :pray:

I thought this looked fun so I put a similar one together with the cards I have available and while I realise it's by no means an accurate sample size, I have won 5 games in a row. Each time my opponent forfeiting in the second round... I feel kind of dirty but also I can't stop smiling. I only played briefly in the closed beta and didn't have/didn't come up against a Morkvarg as far as I can remember - was he as insane as he seems now? Because if you have either Cleaver to unlock him or literally any of the (good and freely available to Skellige) resurrect, you're always going to have this un-killable 12-18 strength card on the board, which is mostly nuts.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Robutt posted:

I thought this looked fun so I put a similar one together with the cards I have available and while I realise it's by no means an accurate sample size, I have won 5 games in a row. Each time my opponent forfeiting in the second round... I feel kind of dirty but also I can't stop smiling. I only played briefly in the closed beta and didn't have/didn't come up against a Morkvarg as far as I can remember - was he as insane as he seems now? Because if you have either Cleaver to unlock him or literally any of the (good and freely available to Skellige) resurrect, you're always going to have this un-killable 12-18 strength card on the board, which is mostly nuts.

Shieldsmith used to buff 4 base strength. The original Queenie-Mork deck was super broken, and discard variants remained powerful until the previous patch when they changed locks to stick in the graveyard and nerfed Bran. They made King Bran good again so you starting too see Discard come back, and Morkvarg too.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 25, 2017

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Morkvarg was the cornerstone of one of the three oppressive decks mid-to-late closed beta (the monster nest, hawker healer, skellige discard rowbuff era). Skellige players still like to pretend the deck was balanced.

He couldn't even be locked back then and it's a fair assumption that lock graveyard mechanics were implemented specifically as a response to Morkvarg.

(I wasnt there for early closed beta where things were truly broken.)

I have a personal hatred for the card after watching him hose my villentretenmerth an uncountable number of times, but to be honest there should be some card in the game that's actively good against scorch.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 25, 2017

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
it was a good deck and it probably still is now but it still had counters

monster decks used to tech in griffin regardless of variant and consume ghouls hosed up the strategy most of the time

vicovaro in NG was a lite counter but SK could run savage bear to kill it and prevent it from doing its thing

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
the best part of Morkvarg was actually the noises the card made, not the card's power level

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm trying to do a beginner Nilfgaardian deck. I only played 2-3 hours in the first weeks at the start of the closed beta, way before important changes, several months ago, so I'm basically a noob.

What I have:

quote:

and from the neutrals:

quote:

Any possible decent deck?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Unlock Calveit and Morvran first in Challenges either way.

The issue is that you have lots of reveal cards, but neither of the payoff bronzes (Mangonel and spotter). Crafting rares sucks so just working with what you have, I'd just make a basic nilfgaard control sort of deck with calveit as leader, cahir, triss, geralt, emissaries, assassination, scorch, cleaver, decoy, peter, weather and chorn/dudu I guess, 3x rot tosser, 3x emissary, 2-3x nilfgaard knight, 1-2x alzur's, and I don't know what those other bronzes do but some of those. Or you can play around with 3x emissary 2x novice 1x vicovaro 3x rot tosser and some knights.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 25, 2017

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yea you are off to a pretty decent start. Run Morvran Voorhis with that Cahir, Vattier, Triss and Assassinate I see, as well as your best silvers like Peter Saar and Decoy. Put all your best bronze cards that work of revealing, like Daerlan Foot Soldiers and Spotters. Run Vicovaro Medic, Rot Tossers and Impera Enforcers. You've got a solid foundation. Your next gold should be Vilgefortz and your next silvers should be cards like Cynthia, The Guardian and Vanhemar.

Do the tutorials to unlock Morvran and check out GwentDB.com for deck ideas. Just check out what other people are doing and try it out.

I end up switching cards in and out of my deck based on what I find works and what doesn't.\

Edit: Yea you really should knock out the tutorial first. You get all the leaders and some kegs, which will give you even more cards. Before you craft anything, try and get it from those starter kegs.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
I guess finding Villentretenmerth in a pack was a good thing because that card alone gave me a 9 win streak in casual in my first 9 Gwent games ever.

And I don't even have Yennefer Conjurer or other super popular cards, just a dumb NR Foltest deck with Keira Metz, Philippa, Triss and Villenblabla. I've had 1 insta concede, 2 shame concedes (I suppose calculating units' power in advance can be tricky if you're new and there are multiple catapults on the boards, buffers, etc) and a bunch of games where I drop the thing and the other guy slows down a lot, looks at his hand for the longest time and makes a a bunch of poo poo plays.

I swear sometimes I can almost hear the sound of their souls being crushed.

How strong is the dragon? Is it even good in non-trash tier? And should I remove either Philippa or Triss from my deck in favor of vanilla Yennefer? They're both very reactive cards and it doesn't look like I always get the value I should off of them.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Philippa is great in NR. Triss is ok but if you got better, she can be replaced. You'll find later on that people learn to play around the big golden dragon. Maybe not so much of expecting it, but once it's on board, knowing how to not get decimated by it or even have it destroy opposing units.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.

No Wave posted:

He couldn't even be locked back then and it's a fair assumption that lock graveyard mechanics were implemented specifically as a response to Morkvarg.

I'm curious, how did locking and the graveyard function beforehand and how did it work with Morkvarg? As even in the game's current state I think it's a little strange (if probably necessary) that resurrection breaks locks.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Thanks for the advice, guys.

No Wave posted:

Unlock Calveit and Morvran first in Challenges either way.

And yeah, I'm in the process of playing all the Challenges. It's just that Nilf is at the bottom so I haven't reached them.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Turin Turambar posted:

Thanks for the advice, guys.

And yeah, I'm in the process of playing all the Challenges. It's just that Nilf is at the bottom so I haven't reached them.
You can do the classes in any order. Though you'll want to do all of them so it's not like you're wastibg time.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Robutt posted:

I'm curious, how did locking and the graveyard function beforehand and how did it work with Morkvarg? As even in the game's current state I think it's a little strange (if probably necessary) that resurrection breaks locks.

When a unit died the lock broke, cause Mork triggers on death the lock broke and he came back. The game worked like this because of another early beta broken deck.

Promote Roach NR. Back then you buffed Roach to to the highest possible and promoted him, all the buffed strength became base strength. So every round you could potential pull a 40 strength gold roach from the grave. So CDPR changed that buffs and effects applied to units are removed on death. Later they made locks an exception.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 25, 2017

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Robutt posted:

Locks didn't follow a unit to the graveyard at all before, so it was like silence in hs. You couldn't unlock things either.

How buffs are handled in general is a little wacky. A handbuffed unit shuffled into your deck from your hand keeps the buff, a normal-buffed unit shuffled into your deck from the board loses it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

ShowTime posted:

Philippa is great in NR. Triss is ok but if you got better, she can be replaced. You'll find later on that people learn to play around the big golden dragon. Maybe not so much of expecting it, but once it's on board, knowing how to not get decimated by it or even have it destroy opposing units.
I think the jury's out on philippa vs triss and I tend to lean towards triss right now. Philippa's good scenario is 4 str better than Triss, bad-case is 6 str worse and 5 damage is already the sweet spot. In a villen deck especially triss seems better because gold str is so important.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

drat, Swim's queensguard deck is really strong. I had no idea that you could use bears to kill vicovaro medics before they hit the field. I'll try them out in a regular discard deck some time.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

There wasn't any scrap refunds for changed cards in the closed beta, right? I wonder if that's gonna change now; I'd craft a rag nar roog but I'm almost expecting it to get nerfed considering almost every deck seems to have it :v:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Got the email for the open beta today.

Gonna give this a spin.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Minrad posted:

There wasn't any scrap refunds for changed cards in the closed beta, right? I wonder if that's gonna change now; I'd craft a rag nar roog but I'm almost expecting it to get nerfed considering almost every deck seems to have it :v:

Some of the popular streamers/youtubers must be consulting or testing some of the changes and they kind of let things slip every now and then, and one of the things they let slip seems to be a patch in less than a week and a half that is addressing a lot of things. One of them is Rag (nerf), another is Queensguard (nerf) and another is Northern Realms (buff). That's all I could really piece together from vague allusions on their videos.

It's great playing this game early, especially for ranked. Just hit level 10, placed immediately into rank 7, which is free kegs and stuff. Try and hit rank 10 as soon as you can, then go into ranked mode just so it auto-places you.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Queensguard nerf is fine as long as it's going with some kind of an indirect buff to make it less feast or famine against nilfgaard and monsters. Pulling 20-30 power turn 1 round 3 every game isn't good, but nor is getting super slammed by medics and consume and losing every game either. :v:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I like the part where NR is helpless against all weather cards and they also made weather even stronger. What was nerfed was card advantage, not weather. What is it with them and this trash mechanic.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
i'll just say this as a player who has been playing since really early closed beta

i can tell that the weather mechanic as a whole is giving CDPR a lot of problems

it's been changed so much (it's been on every spectrum of effectiveness, from being terrible to extremely powerful)

i think the way that it is now is somewhere in the middle in terms of overall power and effectiveness

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The issue is that the tools to deal with new weather - especially in NR - were removed for some reason. Even just having siege supports or the 4 str buff 4 would make some difference. There were a lot of tools added that punish people for not staggering their units and way fewer ways to stagger.

Fog is now a double strength Yenncon that summons foglets, and it's bronze. The mechanic just doesn't work, weather-like effects should be much more mild and should be attached to units so that they don't dramatically win you the game when unanswered.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

General Morden posted:

i'll just say this as a player who has been playing since really early closed beta

i can tell that the weather mechanic as a whole is giving CDPR a lot of problems

it's been changed so much (it's been on every spectrum of effectiveness, from being terrible to extremely powerful)

i think the way that it is now is somewhere in the middle in terms of overall power and effectiveness

OTOH, they were able to tell when something flat out wasn't working or a good idea, and drop it entirely (the faction buffs).

I think weather is pretty close to being in a great spot right now, it's mostly the gold weather cards that are outright too strong. Even if you answer them immediately, you lost 6-9 power and a turn. And if you weren't spreading your units on row, you get blown out by normal weather!

Weather is kind of important, because without it, you might as well drop the whole row mechanic entirely, and so much of the game's depth is lost. I think they're on the right track, at least.

Minera fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 26, 2017

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Is there some place I can check if the servers are up? I tried logging in since yesterday but it was only a couple times so I figured it might be on their end.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Tunahead posted:

Is there some place I can check if the servers are up? I tried logging in since yesterday but it was only a couple times so I figured it might be on their end.

Did you update to 0.9 or whatever the open beta version is? Restart your GoG if not. It's been online with no downtime since yesterday morning.

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008

Tunahead posted:

I didn't have any issues at all with logging in since open beta starter, it might be on your end.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Minrad posted:

Did you update to 0.9 or whatever the open beta version is? Restart your GoG if not. It's been online with no downtime since yesterday morning.

Yeah, I only installed Gwent after it went into open beta, and I've since verified the file integrity and that didn't update it to a newer version. I've also had my PC off multiple times since then, and I checked that Gwent.exe isn't blocked on my system for whatever reason.

I guess it just straight up doesn't work for me, then. :sigh:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Here's an idea for a bronze card:

5 str
Every turn, deal 1 damage to enemy units on the opposite row.

Going places?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Tunahead posted:

Yeah, I only installed Gwent after it went into open beta, and I've since verified the file integrity and that didn't update it to a newer version. I've also had my PC off multiple times since then, and I checked that Gwent.exe isn't blocked on my system for whatever reason.

I guess it just straight up doesn't work for me, then. :sigh:

That's weird. Only other ideas I'd have would be to run Gwent with and without gog galaxy open, and then try contacting support.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I've been playing this deck and it's a lot of fun. Great against the current meta of lots of Skellige discard, Nilfgaard reveal/spy and Monster consume.

http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/18501-calveit-control

I didn't write much of a guide and maybe will later after more playtesting. It's currently at above a 70% winrate. It basically opens up early, thins the poo poo out of the deck and leaves you with the absolute best of the best cards available to deal with whatever they play. Rot Tossers are amazing at just making your opponent either lose units or use one of their removals to deal with the carcass. Between the Scorch, Igni and Peter, any big unit they play can get dealt with. Tibor is basically your finisher and you can very reliably end the game with just 1-2 units left in the deck. Could probably get 1 first light and the knights are just there as a big unit, but if I had a better idea of what to use for a big swing i'd put those in.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

ShowTime posted:

Some of the popular streamers/youtubers must be consulting or testing some of the changes and they kind of let things slip every now and then, and one of the things they let slip seems to be a patch in less than a week and a half that is addressing a lot of things. One of them is Rag (nerf), another is Queensguard (nerf) and another is Northern Realms (buff). That's all I could really piece together from vague allusions on their videos.

It's great playing this game early, especially for ranked. Just hit level 10, placed immediately into rank 7, which is free kegs and stuff. Try and hit rank 10 as soon as you can, then go into ranked mode just so it auto-places you.

You're already rank 10 :negative: I'm still just rank 3 from getting my 6 crowns a day.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I've been playing scoia'tel mulligan lately and it has been doing better than I would have thought. I put in a Ciri Dash which kinda-sorta works well with it- Sometimes i'm fortunate enough to get her 2/3 times and sometimes I only see her once. So far the deck as a whole has been performing relatively well but i've lost a few too many games because I clear light'd into a bladedancer (or w/e the 3 str cards are called)

Xtanstic posted:

You're already rank 10 :negative: I'm still just rank 3 from getting my 6 crowns a day.

my friend if you ain't getting 66 crowns a day you ain't living.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

ShowTime posted:

I've been playing this deck and it's a lot of fun. Great against the current meta of lots of Skellige discard, Nilfgaard reveal/spy and Monster consume.

http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/18501-calveit-control

I didn't write much of a guide and maybe will later after more playtesting. It's currently at above a 70% winrate. It basically opens up early, thins the poo poo out of the deck and leaves you with the absolute best of the best cards available to deal with whatever they play. Rot Tossers are amazing at just making your opponent either lose units or use one of their removals to deal with the carcass. Between the Scorch, Igni and Peter, any big unit they play can get dealt with. Tibor is basically your finisher and you can very reliably end the game with just 1-2 units left in the deck. Could probably get 1 first light and the knights are just there as a big unit, but if I had a better idea of what to use for a big swing i'd put those in.

This Skellige self damage/rez deck looks interesting vs all the weather decks. Brokvar hunters just look brutal against all the weather decks out there, since you end up -gaining- strength off the backs of the gold cards and frost.

http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/18333-greyboxers-viking-metal-warriors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
is there a way to counter the loving annoying as all gently caress monster weather spam