Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

peramene posted:

Asiina: ok but whatever you do don't loving talk in-thread
Me: got it
Asiina: you can accidentally reveal alignments
Me: yep, makes sense

(saraphrasing)

you know what's funny though, I used to think this a couple times in Myst that you were really playing with fire there, but it all evened out cause whenever you seemed to be mod-confirming people as having townie intentions it was Viva and Stickup :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
I had fun with this game, sorry I couldnt be around as much as I wanted to. ++ to Kash for playing to the role.

Bif, your Abbreviated Myst series was fantastic and I hope you continue.

Incidentally, that would have been doubly good as scum because I never would have voted you. :P

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Flying Leatherman posted:

I had fun with this game, sorry I couldnt be around as much as I wanted to. ++ to Kash for playing to the role.

Bif, your Abbreviated Myst series was fantastic and I hope you continue.

Incidentally, that would have been doubly good as scum because I never would have voted you. :P

if only people had similar thoughts regarding really cool video votes in FRGs

OH WELL

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
hey pera it's all good!

Without the role pm I decided to play as a character with motivations outside the normal mafia/town dynamic.

This fed into some thoughts I had watching the second half of Myst play out, particularly to do with the enjoyment of players being taken out before the super interesting endgame parts.

Obviously taking out other players was part of the setup, but my angle was that there was something perverse about how cutting short other players' experience could be motivated by something so inconsequential as a "victory point," or moving a number from a 5 to 6.

The freedom from wincons philosophy suited itself to a bunch of MGS flavour (The Man Who Sold The World isn't there, Outer Heaven etc)

Finally getting everyone agreeing to stop voting/killing and end the game was my troll objective :v:

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Birdstrike posted:

hey pera it's all good!

Without the role pm I decided to play as a character with motivations outside the normal mafia/town dynamic.

This fed into some thoughts I had watching the second half of Myst play out, particularly to do with the enjoyment of players being taken out before the super interesting endgame parts.

Obviously taking out other players was part of the setup, but my angle was that there was something perverse about how cutting short other players' experience could be motivated by something so inconsequential as a "victory point," or moving a number from a 5 to 6.

The freedom from wincons philosophy suited itself to a bunch of MGS flavour (The Man Who Sold The World isn't there, Outer Heaven etc)

Finally getting everyone agreeing to stop voting/killing and end the game was my troll objective :v:

honestly i was legit rooting for you

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

scumdoc Moat posted:

also Jesus I am losing my mind I keep thinking bif is on the scum team

:laffo:

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
oh my loving god the wiki forces first letter capitals

goodnight

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I got really goddamn mad the last day when people were ignoring a COP RESULT because of Kash shitposting.

This game, more than any other, demonstrates why non-players and dead people should not be posting. You should all know better. It wasn't funny, and it actively interfered with the game.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Also mods should never post in the thread of their own game outside of handling game mechanics, and DEFINITELY never respond to players in the thread - let alone talking about NIGHT ACTION SUBMISSIONS. There are a scant handful of mods that can tread the fine line of posting very neutrally, but that's very hard to do.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Kash was alive though

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lumpen posted:

I can see why Kash played that way, it was indeed a good response to the incentives of his PM and a responsible exploitation of his given role. If he had been any less obnoxious and disruptive it would have been a dereliction of duty.

I got really mad reading the thread today, but upon reflection once I realized what Kash was trying to do, it WAS the right play from a gameplay perspective. Just unfun for others.

That being said, deathproof AND untargetable? Yikes. That's a little much IMO. I did like how both the roleblockers WERE actually town, though.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Hi I helped with balance this game and do believe that it was balanced even with the wacky stuff.

Scum had absolutely no roles other than Chell and town had a whole lot of roles that were difficult to get rid of. They had to rely on either being popular enough to win the honour vote (with no way to confirm themselves) OR town apathy.

Their bonus was that most of the power roles in this game were either anti-town or could only be used for town to confirm each other and not find scum.

It was a factional NK and not attached to anyone, so the roleblockers were entirely anti-town, and the watcher and tracker could only help confirm town people (that is until scum got themselves some roles).

It kinda put the entire scum team game on the shoulders of whoever got Chell to be as loud and obnoxious as possible to eat up time and waste days, which I think Kash did exceptionally well. I think it's an unusual role but definitely not a "bastard mod" one.

I liked this setup and I think Kash played the best possible game he could and really, with one more day he could have had it.

And yes, I did tell Sara as many times as I could not to post in the thread for fear of confirming people's alignments and then she confirmed Inf as town....twice. :v:

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Podima posted:

I got really goddamn mad the last day when people were ignoring a COP RESULT because of Kash shitposting.

This game, more than any other, demonstrates why non-players and dead people should not be posting. You should all know better. It wasn't funny, and it actively interfered with the game.

You just wont ever understand us dad

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

:glomp:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Podima posted:

Also mods should never post in the thread of their own game outside of handling game mechanics, and DEFINITELY never respond to players in the thread - let alone talking about NIGHT ACTION SUBMISSIONS. There are a scant handful of mods that can tread the fine line of posting very neutrally, but that's very hard to do.

I literally have this as part of my default rules that I use in every game. I do not respond to questions in the thread once the game has started. Only PM questions. It's caused some problems before where people have had to all message me individually to get the definition of "deathproof" but it's prevented far more problems than it's caused.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
Pera don't listen to them and don't learn anything

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Idk how you all were stupid enough to lynch kashuno even once

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Also I should have led with this - I enjoyed the game and I'm glad town won. Thank you for modding!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I enjoyed the game but I'm sad Birb lost

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

That is actually 1000x more mind-boggling than anything in the setup or modding, that a collection of alleged humans who have been playing this game for years could fail the mafia psyche 101 test twice in a row

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Birdstrike playing the third party up is really why town should always lynch a third party the minute one becomes apparent.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Bifauxnen posted:

I enjoyed the game but I'm sad Birb lost

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

GulagDolls posted:

That is actually 1000x more mind-boggling than anything in the setup or modding, that a collection of alleged humans who have been playing this game for years could fail the mafia psyche 101 test twice in a row

You should have actually taken the game seriously and reminded people of your cop result at the end instead of hurling insults.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Podima posted:

You should have actually taken the game seriously

wrong!

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

GulagDolls posted:

I knew you were town D1. Keep up the good work!

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Podima posted:

You should have actually taken the game seriously and reminded people of your cop result at the end instead of hurling insults.

Yeah...I was the one not taking it seriously. I guess saying " don't vote kashuno, but instead, moat" repeatedly is not enough and I have to add "moat, who I have a cop result on" even though there is no other reason I or anyone else was voting him in the first place but personality I would rather die IRL than have to baby a bunch of golems online

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

GulagDolls posted:

how did you like your role gulag

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

REX GOLDSWORTH: I'm sorry for what I did and I know you want to punish me but.. PLEASE don't give me one million dollars. Anything but that. It would hurt so much, if you put a lot of money in my bank account.

MAFIA PLAYER: *nodding to self with satisfaction while reaching for wallet*

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

GulagDolls posted:

Yeah...I was the one not taking it seriously. I guess saying " don't vote kashuno, but instead, moat" repeatedly is not enough and I have to add "moat, who I have a cop result on" even though there is no other reason I or anyone else was voting him in the first place but personality I would rather die IRL than have to baby a bunch of golems online

Mafia is not a game about being right, it's a game about convincing people to agree with you.

Like, I know this is me totally holier-than-thou posting all over the place, but it was just so frustrating to watch that last day unfold.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

GulagDolls posted:

REX GOLDSWORTH: I'm sorry for what I did and I know you want to punish me but.. PLEASE don't give me one million dollars. Anything but that. It would hurt so much, if you put a lot of money in my bank account.

you will never be able to spend all the cash I will shiwer on you old man

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

GulagDolls posted:

You should have just listened to me, I would have won the game for us.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Yeah and I have no interest in explaining things you should just be able to absorb using, your eyes, critical thinking not even required. Tihs is why merk just drinks himself to death now

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

GulagDolls posted:

Yeah and I have no interest in explaining things you should just be able to absorb using, your eyes, critical thinking not even required. Tihs is why merk just drinks himself to death now

Gulag we would have done it tomorrow.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Mr. F! posted:

Kash is the worst loving player in this game and he's been posting like a mouth breathing motorcycle crash victim who's brain is leaking out of his ear.

Mr. F! posted:

Yeah because I can't understand wtf kash is doing in this thread. He's posting like he's a homeless man begging for change with a sign that says "Obama is a lizard!!"

Kash got me so good.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Birdstrike posted:

I don't have a night action which doesn't really help, but the idea that I would have killed chaoslord of all people on N1 is insulting

I felt so betrayed when you flipped scum.

Also why did I die N1?

Also also, I almost self protected that night :rip:

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop

GulagDolls posted:

Idk how you all were stupid enough to lynch kashuno even once
Imagine the hideous meta implications if behaving like that in a game made you not get lynched.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
peramene, when a tracker tracks someone who goes nowhere, they get told that rather than that their action failed. I assume that's why Inf's action "failed" on N2 while Lumpen and I were roleblocking each other?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Lumpen posted:

Imagine the hideous meta implications if behaving like that in a game made you not get lynched.

Yeah, this, and ALSO the voice friend thing :v:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

chaoslord posted:

I felt so betrayed when you flipped scum.

me too :smith:

if I had doc access I would have prevented this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Birdstrike posted:

me too :smith:

if I had doc access I would have prevented this

:smith:

• Locked thread