Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Skoll posted:

Will never not be cool.

it's goofy but also kind of unsettling which is why I think it works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It's like if Jerry Lewis was a battlemch.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Strobe posted:

I also dislike the Marauder in the gif.

lol, just lol. I thought you were cool friend.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

At any point in the battletech fluff did they ever explain what happened when Kell dueled with Yorinaga? Did he somehow have a null system installed in his Archer? How did Yorinaga repeatedly miss at point blank range while Kell was standing still? The whole thing never made sense to me.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Phrosphor posted:

At any point in the battletech fluff did they ever explain what happened when Kell dueled with Yorinaga? Did he somehow have a null system installed in his Archer? How did Yorinaga repeatedly miss at point blank range while Kell was standing still? The whole thing never made sense to me.

Targeting computer mishap?

"It essentially says that every weapon we produce is an over-priced piece of junk. Now, that's not news, critics have said it for years. What was news to me touched on our supposedly "spectacular" Warhammer 70 ton front line Battlemech. It says there that when the Warhammer proved incapable of hitting moving 'Mechs, we test-fired it at walking speed targets. When it failed to hit anything that was mobile, we test-fired it at an immobilized Archer at close range, and it missed that. Now is this possible, General Yorinaga?"
"There was a problem with the tarcomp."
"According to this, the 'Mech locked on to the friendly IFF of a Panther, and destroyed the Panther! Were we test-firing at our own soldiers that day?"

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Phrosphor posted:

The power of honourable sudoku.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I didn't read the duel myself, but didn't someone in PTNs thread say it had been fluffed after the fact to be basically that Yorinaga basically made a show of intentionally missing because CODE OF HONOR? He was obligated to fire, but not obligated to aim? Or something?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So I finally decided to start reading Stackpoles thing that comes with the game, just finished the first novella, and, hey, its actually not that bad.

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear

Waffle House posted:

No Madcat. 0/10

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
No, the books are pretty clear that nobody could get a lock on Morgan Kell, and in the second duel nobody could get a lock on either of them. Plus, during the battle of Luthien it's hinted that not even the Clans are able to get a lock.

They explicitly stated "nothing supernatural" but never stated exactly what.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Waffle House posted:

No Madcat. 0/10

To be fair, according to game informer Mad Catz has gone bankrupt. :v:

That thing looks so off balance that a stiff breeze would knock it over, its legs are so far forward

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Sky Shadowing posted:

No, the books are pretty clear that nobody could get a lock on Morgan Kell, and in the second duel nobody could get a lock on either of them. Plus, during the battle of Luthien it's hinted that not even the Clans are able to get a lock.

They explicitly stated "nothing supernatural" but never stated exactly what.

It's a battle between writers and larger viewpoints. Everyone generally agreed that, walking tanks aside, BT was a realistic universe -- no ghosts need apply -- but exactly what that means to any given writer is another thing. So you have Stackpole's fiction with some mystical martial arts bullshit, and even a sourcebook or two acknowledging this with a power writeup for this Phantom Mech ability, and then every other writer since then saying "when we said 'realistic' we didn't mean Ninja III: The Domination" and doing the best they can to distance the game from it (which is where the game is generally at today).

Robert Charrette handled this sort of thing much better: there's a fun scene in one of his novels (Wolf Pack, I think) where Jaime Wolfe enters the room and a warrior monk calls out his name, even though the monk was facing the other way. When Wolf asks him how he knew that Wolf had entered the room, the monk replies that Wolf's ki was so strong that it was obvious it could only be him. But Wolf passes off the remark with a joke, and it could have been that the monk recognized his footsteps or saw a reflection (consciously or not), or heard someone mutter his name, or whatever: it leaves you room to speculate and presume what you want without being so gauche as to have a pile of targeting computers operated by multiple people all go on the fritz at once.

Xotl fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 25, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Morgan Kell's power is that he's that one guy everyone in IT has dealt with at some point in their life that can make any piece of technology fail without even trying. He's sitting there trying to get his HUD to display cat meme pictures and it ends up frying every targeting computer in a 5 mile radius.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

The best way to deal with Phantom Mech is to take the novels as war stories being told by the point of view characters of any given chapter well after the fact. So what happened in the duel between Morgan and Yorinaga? Well, Dan Allard tells it like this...

Although actually that particular one isn't too hard to explain. After all, the duel ends with Yorinaga's 'Hammer going into overheat shutdown. Presumably Kurita was already running hot on the turn he unwisely alpha struck at Kell. If he was at 17+ heat the +3 to hit combined with unusually lovely dice rolls could have gotten you that result. For that matter, the scene is fuzzy on the range. If the range was, say, 4 hexes (120m) then the MGs and Smalls would have been out of range, while the Mediums and SRMs would have had even more of a penalty for Medium range on top of the heat penalty. In which case it was only a couple of unusually bad rolls on the PPCs to make him miss with everything. Which is a very Battletech thing to happen, when you get right down to it.

All the other examples of Phantom Mech can be explained as exaggerations told after the fact.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Beta-related update just hit

HBS posted:

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the kind words about our last Kickstarter Update and gameplay video - seeing your reactions and excitement means the world to us, especially when we're in the thick of things.

The whole team here is really excited to get the Backer Beta into your hands on June 1st. Unfortunately, in the last few weeks, we've been working through some significant multiplayer connectivity issues and as of yesterday, we don't believe multiplayer will be stable enough for release by June 1st. Therefore, the June 1st release will contain single-player Skirmish mode ONLY, and we will update the Beta with PvP multiplayer as soon as it's ready. No time estimate on that yet but we'll keep you posted.

We're bummed that we’re not releasing multiplayer simultaneously with single-player Skirmish (especially since we've been having so much fun competing with each other at the office, and telling you guys all about it!) but sometimes the soup just needs a little more time on the stove. As always, we’ll continue to keep you informed, and we still can't wait for you to be able to go hands-on against the AI in Skirmish mode on the 1st.

Expect another Kickstarter update next week with more specific information about how to get your Beta key. In the meantime, since we’re getting down to the wire, we thought we’d proactively answer a bunch of your questions in advance of the Backer Beta release with this FAQ.

Thanks and happy hunting!
Mitch
Backer Beta FAQ

What’s in the Backer Beta at launch?
The Backer Beta contains Single Player Skirmish versus the AI. You’ll be able to choose one of five deathmatch maps, set weather conditions, select your lance of ‘Mechs from 32 avaialable ‘Mech variants, assign MechWarriors to each, and choose the enemy forces you’ll fight.

What will be in the Backer Beta when it’s updated?

In addition to bugfixes, the update to the Backer Beta will add 1v1 multiplayer with all of the same content (maps, ‘Mechs, MechWarriors) that's available in single-player Skirmish. Hosts will be able to set the C-bills level of the match, choose the time limit for each turn, and more.

Can we expect more updates for the Backer Beta after that?
We’ll update the Beta as needed to fix high-impact and game-breaking bugs but we have no plans to update the Backer Beta with additional features or content beyond the scope of the Beta Kickstarter reward. This is a targeted Beta to get data on BattleTech combat with our Backers, not an Early Access game release.

How long will the Beta last?
At least a month after the multiplayer update is released. You should expect the Beta to “go dark” at some point during the run up to the launch of the game so we focus on the shipping version without the need to maintain the beta version.

Can I customize my ‘Mechs in the beta?
No. MechLab and the ability to choose colors, paintschemes, etc. are not part of the beta.

I heard you were doing a livestreamed “Backer Beta Bash” on 6/2. Is that still on? The livestreamed Backer Beta Bash on twitch.tv/hyperrpg has been postponed to coincide with the release of the Second Backer Beta Release containing multiplayer. We’re disappointed we won’t be able to celebrate with you but we’ve got work to do and need to stay focused.

What platforms is the Beta on? What about the final release?
The Kickstarter Backer Beta will be downloadable from Steam for Windows and Mac. The full version of the final game will be available on Steam, GOG, and Humble for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

Can I pre-download the Beta the day before so I’m ready to go on June 1st?
No, you will not be able to pre-load the Beta, but the download isn’t massive so you’ll be up and running pretty quickly!

How do I give you feedback?
Each time you finish playing, you’ll be prompted to fill out a short survey. The survey is different each time, so please check it out after each game you complete. In addition, we’re setting up a series of Beta sub-forums on battletechgame.com for folks to discuss what they like and could use improvements. The team regularly reads the forums and the discussions players have there are very helpful to us.

How do I report bugs?
If you encounter an uncommon bug (one you think won’t be found with standard testing), consult the Backer Beta Manual (available on June 1) for further instructions.

Can we stream and share our Beta experience?
You bet! Feel free to stream your gameplay, post on Youtube, share screenshots, blog about your experience, etc.

I backed below the Reward Level containing beta access. Can I still get into the Beta?
Yes! If you are already a Backer and would like to upgrade your pledge, email us. Since this is a manual process, we’ll need to send you specific instructions.

Can my friends still get in the beta?

Yes, just tell them to go here: https://battletech.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders

Will BATTLETECH be released on Steam Early Access after the Beta but before Release?
No. The only thing between Beta and final release is a lot of hard work.

Can I get into the Beta after it launches?
Yes, but we will stop taking Backer Beta Tier pledges and upgrades two weeks prior to the close of Beta (which we’ll announce ahead of time.)

What are the system requirements for the Beta?

We’ve done our best to ensure a wide audience can play the Backer Beta but won’t have final system specs until much closer to the release of the full game.

Here are the minimum and recommended specs for this Beta release.

WINDOWS MINIMUM:
Processor: Intel Pentium Core i3 3210 3.20GHz or AMD FX 4300 3.8GHz
Memory: 8 GB RAM Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 630 GT or AMD Radeon HD 6670 DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection Storage: 11 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9 sound device

WINDOWS RECOMMENDED:
Processor: Intel Pentium Core i5 3450 3.10GHz or AMD FX 6300 3.5GHz
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750ti or AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 15 GB available space

Sound Card: DirectX 9 sound device

MAC MINIMUM:
Processor: Intel 2.5 Ghz Mid 2011
Graphics: Radeon HD 6970M
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Storage: 11 GB available space
Sound Card: On Board Audio

MAC RECOMMENDED:

Processor: Intel 2.9GHz Late 2013
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 775M
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Storage: 15 GB available space
Sound Card: On Board Audio

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

In before nerd rage over Multiplayer beta delay

I am still hype to blow up AI mechs :black101:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The mech sky is falling!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm okay with this.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I might be slightly salty if Multiplayer hadn't been a stretch goal to start with, so it's not like the multiplayer side is something they were confident in and pitching as part of the base game anyway.

If connectivity issues were the last thing on the priority list of the backers beta, it just means they spent their resources in more important areas in the run up to June 1st. Sounds good to me.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Xotl posted:

So you have Stackpole's fiction with some mystical martial arts bullshit, and even a sourcebook or two acknowledging this with a power writeup for this Phantom Mech ability, and then every other writer since then saying "when we said 'realistic' we didn't mean Ninja III: The Domination" and doing the best they can to distance the game from it (which is where the game is generally at today).
I don’t know, more 80’s ninja movie logic in battletech sounds like it could be a good time is sprinkled more liberally than just on protagonists.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
It'd be a fun novel or sourcebook excerpt, anyways. A bunch of mechs wildly flailing with their limbs like a Power Rangers episode, with the pilots all yelling about how so and so killed my father and now vengeance is mine and then the flying dropkicks commence.

*adds notes to next sourcebook pitch

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Section Z posted:

I don’t know, more 80’s ninja movie logic in battletech sounds like it could be a good time is sprinkled more liberally than just on protagonists.

One of the things that makes BT notable as a sci-fi setting is that's it's only humans doing human things. No aliens, and no magical realism.

And ho-boy do the fans get furious when anything comes close to breaking those rules.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Skippy McPants posted:

One of the things that makes BT notable as a sci-fi setting is that's it's only humans doing human things. No aliens, and no magical realism.

And ho-boy do the fans get furious when anything comes close to breaking those rules.

Well, there's FTL, but that's deliberately something that hardly anyone barely understands, it just kinda works and they try not to break it.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Skoll posted:

Will never not be cool.

Wacky waving inflatable arm flailing PPC Mech!

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

aniviron posted:

Don't worry, I've got you covered:

Those poor metal babbys :ohdear:

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I am disappointed but not angry. I am glad that they are willing to accept that things are not ready rather than just push things out. The skirmish AI actually looked pretty decent in the game that they showed at PDXcon.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I'm not disappointed at all, the MP experience is really secondary to me and I'm going to have a lot of fun seeing in what ways I can break the AI.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
They've been up front about their problems, so the bad news isn't that big of a deal to me.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Yeah, plus I'm gonna be really fuckin bad at launch so it'll be cool to pretend I'm good for a bit before I get clowned on by real people :sun:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I'm more wondering about beta closing. But I guess that's becoming more commonplace, isn't it? I'm used to beta being "early access", meaning "the full game, just maybe buggy".

I just don't like the perk I paid $20-25 extra dollars for just vanishing. Then the only people playing BattleTech will be the pirates.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Sky Shadowing posted:

I'm more wondering about beta closing. But I guess that's becoming more commonplace, isn't it? I'm used to beta being "early access", meaning "the full game, just maybe buggy".

I just don't like the perk I paid $20-25 extra dollars for just vanishing. Then the only people playing BattleTech will be the pirates.

Well, that assumes they're specifically taking it away, they could just be shutting down the multiplayer aspect. From the way they spoke about it, I don't imagine the single player requires you to log into anything.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

In theory, since it's on steam they can just revoke it that way, though nothing really stops you from just leaving your steam in offline mode for the duration I guess.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

BenRGamer posted:

Well, that assumes they're specifically taking it away, they could just be shutting down the multiplayer aspect. From the way they spoke about it, I don't imagine the single player requires you to log into anything.

For what it's worth, they were specifically asked about whether singleplayer Skirmish would still be available after the Beta "went dark" and they were... non-committal

Mitch Gitelmen posted:

As we get closer to the end of Beta, we'll send out a Kickstarter Update with any additional information like an answer to your question.

So it could go either way.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Q_res posted:

For what it's worth, they were specifically asked about whether singleplayer Skirmish would still be available after the Beta "went dark" and they were... non-committal

So it could go either way.

Honestly I'd be surprised if they weren't non-commital about something they weren't 100% on yet.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Zaodai posted:

In theory, since it's on steam they can just revoke it that way, though nothing really stops you from just leaving your steam in offline mode for the duration I guess.
Unless the game requires you to sign in, you can just copy the game's whole directory and run the executable directly from that directory, regardless of your steam status.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I'm trying to remember the little melted grey plastic mechs I had in the game I bought in the early 90s in the back of a faded games shop in Kingston as a teenager.

I think it was: Marauder, Warhammer, Locust, one other?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Those were the Unseen, mechs from very early in BT's lifespan when all the designs were stolen from anime. You probably had the Battletech 3rd Edition boxed set, which came with about a dozen plastic minis.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Confession: I like the clan mechs the most because my only experience with BattleTech is playing the PSX version of MechWarrior 2.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Skippy McPants posted:

Those were the Unseen, mechs from very early in BT's lifespan when all the designs were stolen from anime. You probably had the Battletech 3rd Edition boxed set, which came with about a dozen plastic minis.

They weren't stolen, their likeness was licensed from a toy company that turned out to not have sub licensing rights. :goonsay:

Or something like that. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

They were totally stolen; it just wasn't FASA that stole them!