Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goblin
Jun 5, 2003

code:
ftp> put babybambino.jpg
ftp> del gravybaby.png
ftp> del gravybaby2.png
ftp> del gravybaby3.png
ftp> del gravybaby4.png
ftp> del gravybaby5.png
ftp> del gravybaby6.png
ftp> del gravybaby7.png
ftp> del gravybaby8.png
ftp> bye
Lipstick Apathy

Kawabata posted:

is there a way to counter the loving annoying as all gently caress monster weather spam

clear skies, every faction has a silver now that can cast clear skies and two other spells, every faction (i think, my memory could be wrong) also has a bronze that can clear weather from a single row, decoy if you want to bounce one of those back again

the silver "mage" cards are basically auto includes imo, they put points on the board, can clear weather, and have utility if you don't need the clear. the bronze version is usually worth running a single copy at least, anything that can clear while putting at least a few points on the board is nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Goblin posted:

clear skies, every faction has a silver now that can cast clear skies and two other spells, every faction (i think, my memory could be wrong) also has a bronze that can clear weather from a single row, decoy if you want to bounce one of those back again

the silver "mage" cards are basically auto includes imo, they put points on the board, can clear weather, and have utility if you don't need the clear. the bronze version is usually worth running a single copy at least, anything that can clear while putting at least a few points on the board is nice

2 clear skies and Sile are not nearly enough because they actively play around them and there's gently caress all you can do when they have 4-5 chances to massacre your rows with frost

2 games in a row where I use both clear skies and yet I have all 3 rows with frost in the last round

weather feels super cheap and bad

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Boy, super fun losing over and over again at level 4 against people with solid gold borders on their avatar that have a badass deck from opening a million kegs and I'm basically using the starter deck

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Class Warcraft posted:

Boy, super fun losing over and over again at level 4 against people with solid gold borders on their avatar that have a badass deck from opening a million kegs and I'm basically using the starter deck

It -should- clear up in a few days, as the closed beta crowd levels up and moves on to ranked and lower ranks return to being mostly new accounts.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

No Wave posted:

Here's an idea for a bronze card:

5 str
Every turn, deal 1 damage to enemy units on the opposite row.

Going places?

Can it also thin your deck by one bronze special card?

I was happy about the weather change because I figured there would also still be weather immune units scattered through the factions. I didn't think they would see the complaints of weather being strong and binary and think "let's both make it stronger and make it harder to deal with". Maybe there should be a timer for either rounds, damage done, or units killed for weather, to give a way to trigger its end if it's thrown out at the start of round 3 and all three of your Clear Skies are on the bottom of your deck.

I mean, there are tools to fetch/create Clear Skies, but they are locked behind epic+ cards that nobody starts with in the Mages. Other than First Lights I mean, because even with three you still end up facing 3-6+ different weather effects, so you miiiight only lose 9 points (or 15+ if one is RNR or Skellige Storm) while going card-for-card with a perfect draw and answer of all three First Lights.

I'd like it if there were some proactive cards. Maybe some units that have "weather can't be played for x turns" or "weather can't be played on this row". Or add Blizzard Potion back into the game and give it the Quen treatment where it gives Weather Immune and a small Boost to all cards of a type in your hand and deck. This is just beating around the bush, though. I just hope they rethink at least the silver/gold weathers with at least a timer before they go off or a set duration that's less than an entire round.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Class Warcraft posted:

This is basically my experience too. Loved GWENT in Witcher 3 wanted to like this game bet it would actually be fun if there was actual good match making but there's no fun to be had and as far as I see no way to progress without a ridiculous grind.

If your a new player I would stay away from this game.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Kawabata posted:

2 clear skies and Sile are not nearly enough because they actively play around them and there's gently caress all you can do when they have 4-5 chances to massacre your rows with frost

2 games in a row where I use both clear skies and yet I have all 3 rows with frost in the last round

Just lost a game where the opponent went Frost Hound, Frost Hound, Navigator on Hound. I only drew one gold and none of my First Lights after aggressively mulliganing for them, so I pushed ahead as much as possible (including hitting a Cow Tosser on all three hounds for a nice 22 point bronze) and passed. He plopped a few cards down to catch up, letting me go +3 in card advantage. First turn next round I get no First Lights still, opponent drops Ragh Nar Roog. I concede. Three bronzes and a gold and there was literally nothing I could do in any order to not lose by 50+ that round, because I didn't have any copies of the card I specifically put in my deck to counter this play style.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

axelord posted:

This is basically my experience too. Loved GWENT in Witcher 3 wanted to like this game bet it would actually be fun if there was actual good match making but there's no fun to be had and as far as I see no way to progress without a ridiculous grind.

If your a new player I would stay away from this game.

I can only imagine how frustrating this would be to a completely new player. I was in the closed beta for a couple weeks and didn't grind so now I stuck with a lovely deck and have gone from about a 65% win percentage to today winning 5 out of 23 matches.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Kawabata posted:

If you want a deck that fucks over weather check out the one I posted a few pages back. You can play up to 5 clear skies, even if you don't draw them morkvarg dgaf about weather, and believe me the monster men get very angry (they don't press gg button)

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
I also pity you if you think hs has terrible non-drawing order RNG and this doesn't because my last rounds are usually as fun as ragnaros shots

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
I want isengrim commando hordes back :(

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

this 99% weather monster decks meta is fun, I especially like going against people netdecking a loving top 100 deck after 8 hours of playtime and losing even with Sile + 3 Clear Skies

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
post the top 100 deck 2 days into open beta

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Minrad posted:

This Skellige self damage/rez deck looks interesting vs all the weather decks. Brokvar hunters just look brutal against all the weather decks out there, since you end up -gaining- strength off the backs of the gold cards and frost.

http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/18333-greyboxers-viking-metal-warriors

Don't have all of these cards but I just tested this build with most of the parts and 3 wins in a row so far. Once against a monster player spamming frost.

Not a hard counter to a weather deck but it can hold its own.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

General Morden posted:

post the top 100 deck 2 days into open beta

you can watch it on twitch, it's what less sophisticated streamers that aren't named lifecoach are using

you'll hear a lot of woooosh sounds though, might want to lower your speakers, hth

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Here's my gwent thought for today. I didn't notice what Johnny is doing on his card art. He's poopin.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Dagon is insanely more difficult than any of the other tutorial/challenges. The other ones you barely have to read what your cards do, Dagon gets like 40 strength in turn 2 while having approximately 200 weather cards in his deck.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.

ShowTime posted:

I've been playing this deck and it's a lot of fun. Great against the current meta of lots of Skellige discard, Nilfgaard reveal/spy and Monster consume.

http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/18501-calveit-control

I didn't write much of a guide and maybe will later after more playtesting. It's currently at above a 70% winrate. It basically opens up early, thins the poo poo out of the deck and leaves you with the absolute best of the best cards available to deal with whatever they play. Rot Tossers are amazing at just making your opponent either lose units or use one of their removals to deal with the carcass. Between the Scorch, Igni and Peter, any big unit they play can get dealt with. Tibor is basically your finisher and you can very reliably end the game with just 1-2 units left in the deck. Could probably get 1 first light and the knights are just there as a big unit, but if I had a better idea of what to use for a big swing i'd put those in.

I just ran into a similar deck to this and got utterly stomped. The opening of Calveit into golems and a Tibor is a 1-turn 38 strength slam dunk that I had no way to catch up from. He also ran Renew so Tibor hosed me again in round 2. Tibor is strong :negative:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Gosh my deck probably won't hold up in serious play because it has no answer to weather right now but for casuals my vicovaro deck makes randos incredibly upset at video games. I just had a dude flub his timer math on his rotten cow and he just forefeited after round 2, no gg or anything.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Pwnstar posted:

Dagon is insanely more difficult than any of the other tutorial/challenges. The other ones you barely have to read what your cards do, Dagon gets like 40 strength in turn 2 while having approximately 200 weather cards in his deck.

I'm at the same point. gently caress Ragna Rock or whatever that meteor storm is called!

(I just wanna play weather bullshit myself)

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
My current newbie strategy: Nilfgard Cowstorm.
Just shooting all them cows and bouncing the launchers repeatedly so you get more moo for your buck.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Pwnstar posted:

I totally agree. The combination of weather focused deck, NrN card and other high level cards put in there makes it much harder.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I see Swim has updated his queensguard deck... to take out Cerys and put in RNR because it's just so ridiculously strong.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Not surprising at all. Golds should basically be between 12-16 strength, either from base strength, effects, etc, and she is usually 6-12. She is also a gold that is strictly playable with one leader, King Bran, and requires a very specific strategy. Woudn't be surprised to see her changed to like 7-8 strength and no longer require the Queensguard to summon, or only 3 of them, or possibly just have a timer in the GY that goes off and after 3 turns she is resummoned.

Rag is just dumb and is undoubtedly getting changed, it's just a matter of when. They've done emergency changes in the past (Henselt/Promote) so i'd like to see them do one now. This would also be the perfect time to announce whether they are doing full scrap for changed cards or not. I still don't have one, but I know tons of people made them and admittedly i'd make one if I knew it was safe to make one.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
What's the best aggro class? I'm going to try this for the first time this evening so obviously have no cards and want to try something cheap and cheerful.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
There is no aggro in Gwent. Gwent isn't like most card games. You don't have to reduce your opponents health or beat them in anyway other than to have more numbers than them at the end of the round. The closest thing to aggro in Gwent would be something that is super up-tempo and takes control of the round early with big or swarmy creatures. Look at Wild Hunt in Monsters. The starter deck for them isn't bad.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Really conflicted about crafting RNR right now. It's obviously a must-have in every deck, but also insanely broken and obvious nerf target. 800 scraps is a lot and I'm still missing plenty of core silvers and golds, and if they nerf it without reimbursing scraps I'd be hosed.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

This is still the beta, more changes are coming and a lot more cards, so it's likely that there won't be scrap refunds.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Electronico6 posted:

This is still the beta, more changes are coming and a lot more cards, so it's likely that there won't be scrap refunds.

Yeah I looked into it when I asked the other day, and CDPR's official reply on the topic (at the time, it was closed beta) was that they couldn't afford to do scrap refunds and have large and frequent total card overhauls as often as they do. Maybe post beta, but for now it's staying as it is. Completely understandable, and I'm willing to look the other way as long as it's in beta, but it sucks cuz I'd craft RNR right away too.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Don't have all of these cards but I just tested this build with most of the parts and 3 wins in a row so far. Once against a monster player spamming frost.

Not a hard counter to a weather deck but it can hold its own.

Yeah I'm 100 scraps away from crafting Geralt:Igni (he's so good in so many other decks too...) and then I'm gonna give it a spin with a couple of subs, like the one for wild boar of the sea.

e: SuperJJ just queued into a guy playing it and lost to a budget version that played Triss and no other golds in the game he beat SuperJJ, on top of no clear skies or weather mage. "This deck looks super strong. It's exciting to see a deck that looks stronger than your own! Morkvarg and Olgierd, just like the good old days..."

Longships + Hunters are just brutal. He even lost an 11 strength hunter to a vico medic and easily won the round :v:

Minera fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 26, 2017

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Weather is still infinitely better now than "I went last, so now that row is all ones and I win."

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

No Mods No Masters posted:

I like you gwent goons, here's a fun deck I've been climbing with based on what I was able to open. Use crach to bring out morkvarg the magic unremoveable minion, then put all the buffs on morkvarg. It's surprisingly solid and it would be even better with the golden longship :pray:

ty for this :)

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Minrad posted:

Yeah I'm 100 scraps away from crafting Geralt:Igni (he's so good in so many other decks too...) and then I'm gonna give it a spin with a couple of subs, like the one for wild boar of the sea.

e: SuperJJ just queued into a guy playing it and lost to a budget version that played Triss and no other golds in the game he beat SuperJJ, on top of no clear skies or weather mage. "This deck looks super strong. It's exciting to see a deck that looks stronger than your own! Morkvarg and Olgierd, just like the good old days..."

Longships + Hunters are just brutal. He even lost an 11 strength hunter to a vico medic and easily won the round :v:

I don't have any of those golds so I'm running Triss, Zoltan: Animal Tamer, Yenn and Coral. Running the bronze Light Longship instead of Wild Boar, and Cleaver in place of Donar.

Still wrecking everything.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Sometimes an Operator meets and enemy Operator and...

E: tables

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
They can make weather be completely unit interactive and remove the need for clear skies. Something like a single foglet spawns fog on your row only, when there are 3 or more foglets on your row, spawn a fog for one turn on opponent's row. Meaning they can use other means/units to kill one of the foglets to clear the fog from their side.

Similar for your side buffing, when you have 2-3x of a specific unit on your side, protect all other units on the row from the weather.

Many more interactive possibilities instead of cast weather, cast clear skies, cast weather, spawn that one specific weather removing unit, spawn weather...

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Protip! If you have three Wild Hunt Riders boosting each other with their Trio ability, don't play a fourth or it'll switch them all off.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
The memekvarg deck is amazing, and maybe a little salt inducing.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Morkvarg's not a meme at all. You put him out turn 1 every game and your cards buff him. It's the simplest possible strategy. I guess triple spores is kind of all-in though.

Put a cow in there and then we're talking.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 26, 2017

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I ended up doing a Nilf deck based 1/3 on Revealing and 2/3 on buffing + resilience. It's pretty gimmicky as it can be defeated with a single Scorch or lock, but at low levels it's good enough. Right now I'm winning more than losing.

The revealing part: 2 Alchemists, 3 Daerlan soldiers, Operator (which will duplicate a Daerlan or an Alchemist, depending of what I need), Vattier, 3 Knights (which usually also is the target of the buffing part). I found that I have enough revealing with that, I don't need Morvran.
The buff part: the mentioned knights, Ambassors to buff, Emissaries to thin, Vicovaro novices to more thinning and buffing, Vicovaro medics to recover some of the spies and repeat the same or to take important enemy units, 2 combat engineers to give resilience, Decoy & Cahir & Emhir to repeat some of the deploy effects.
Also Aeromancy + White Frost combo, weather can't be ignored.

I still don't have spotters, mangonels or fire scorpions to do a pure reveal deck.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
so what do you do against yennefer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Ambassador's great against yenncon.