Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

anime was right posted:

im pretty sure he could just... buy it.

That's not as funny though​.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I'm putting my money on "dies testing a prototype vaporizer."

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Invests in an auto-bong. Becomes world's first pot OD.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
So hey if something that is a spoiler for episodes that haven't come out yet (or at least is a plausible thing that is being reported but isn't definite yet) could you maybe put that poo poo behind spoilers so those of us who want to discuss the show as it is currently and not what is going to happen in the future based on inside information? Thanks.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Joffrey isnt on the cast after episode 4! Gus isnt in season 5! Not a spoiler though, its just casting

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Casting news isn't spoilers, some of you all are some real babies.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I'm sure they'll get him back for an appearance or two. I don't think we've seen the last of Erlich Bachman.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I hate when people spoiler speculation

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Spoiler everything. spoiler nothing. you can't win.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I think casting news like this can be a spoiler to some degree since we now know that Erlich's being written out of the show, but then what are you going to do? News outlets aren't going to not write about it, and good luck using the internet to keep up with your interests while at the same time trying to sidestep any such news.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

You all have a weird idea of what the word "casting" means

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
We don't even know how it will be handled. No one has said if it is written into this season or if it was something decided after filming was done.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

De-casting :haw:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Do you have a solid idea of what the word "pedantic" means?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't remember people getting mad when Christopher Evan Welch died and news articles got posted about it on SA.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If a show gets cancelled, is news about that a spoiler? T.J Miller self-cancelled his character.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Spoiler everything. spoiler nothing. you can't win.

I think the trick is to spoiler only things that would spoil the show if they were revealed prematurely, like plot points aka "spoilers".

I think the show will be fine whatever they do, they could get rid of pretty much everyone except Richard and I think the show wouldn't suffer. It would just be another curve ball and at this point there's no reason to expect anything else.

TJ Miller is a fine part of the show but the only actor I'd really miss is Zack Woods, he's the constant source of laughs for me in this show. Me and my wife want to make a shirt with just his face captioned "What is my life?"

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

404notfound posted:

I think casting news like this can be a spoiler to some degree since we now know that Erlich's being written out of the show, but then what are you going to do? News outlets aren't going to not write about it, and good luck using the internet to keep up with your interests while at the same time trying to sidestep any such news.

Well I'm not using this thread to keep up on upcoming changes to the cast of the show, because that would give a clue as to changes of the cast of the show. I don't follow news sites about the show for similar reasons. I figured it was pretty obvious that we would have standard guidelines in the thread about discussing things freely that have been in the show up until now, and anything that is happening or may happen in the future outside of pure speculation or clues within the episodes themselves would be spoilered. It takes a couple seconds to add the tags that were specifically put in for that purpose, but if casually spoiling things for others is the cool adult thing to do and wanting to keep a sense of surprise in a show I love is childish then I guess I'm a big loving baby.

EDIT: Feel free to keep doing the detached cynical cool guy routine of acting as if requesting people spoiler things that spoil upcoming episodes is some sort of autistic screeching we all need to point and laugh at, guys. Because doing things for other people is for retards and not us goons. :rolleyes:

Locke Dunnegan fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 26, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I agree with the above post.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Snak posted:

I agree with the above post.

Yep. "Please use spoiler tags" is such a low-effort request, it seems silly not to.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
On the other hand, "one character out of the huge ensemble cast might or might not be written out in this season or some point in the future" is such a non-spoiler, that I don't see why anyone should bother :shrug:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
But it's not that. It's Erlich is leaving this season. Not everyone follows news about shows, nor should they be expected to.

This is how the spoiler discussion always goes: "I don't consider that a spoiler, and you shouldn't either". Instead of just being considerate.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Well I'm not using this thread to keep up on upcoming changes to the cast of the show, because that would give a clue as to changes of the cast of the show. I don't follow news sites about the show for similar reasons. I figured it was pretty obvious that we would have standard guidelines in the thread about discussing things freely that have been in the show up until now, and anything that is happening or may happen in the future outside of pure speculation or clues within the episodes themselves would be spoilered. It takes a couple seconds to add the tags that were specifically put in for that purpose, but if casually spoiling things for others is the cool adult thing to do and wanting to keep a sense of surprise in a show I love is childish then I guess I'm a big loving baby.

I'm right there with you on the spoilers. The threads for American Gods and The Expanse (both books adapted into TV shows) have had a lot of book-readers dropping bombs all over; I'm just glad I've already read them myself so I didn't have to find out certain things by reading them in the thread first.

With news like this, I feel like it's in a weird spot. It's not a spoiler per se--it's news about the show, which, hey, most people want to know about, right? But now we know Miller won't be returning, which means we know that he either dies (unlikely IMO) or otherwise has some reason to no longer interact with the cast.

I guess this is all just a long-winded way of saying I'm not sure how I feel about it :geno:

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

mobby_6kl posted:

On the other hand, "one character out of the huge ensemble cast might or might not be written out in this season or some point in the future" is such a non-spoiler, that I don't see why anyone should bother :shrug:

Isn't TJ leaving for sure?

Also, what did he do? Did he beat up an uber driver or something?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

"the rules of the forum we're posting in" posted:

SPOILER RULES: Are you talking about something that's already aired in an episode on the East Coast? Then you don't need spoiler tags. Are you talking about something that you only saw in a preview, or a commercial, or or due to a leaked ANYTHING? Then you need spoiler tags. Casting information is not a spoiler. Unless it obviously IS a spoiler, like a recurring character that was presumed dead or something coming back. Honestly, just use common sense. Netflix shows "air" all at once, so once they go up, there's no need for spoiler tags in that show's thread. You should still use them in other threads that might mention the show for at least a month. poo poo like this falls under the "common sense" clause.

Ok so that's settled, can we be done posting about posting?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I just feel like erring on the side of being considerate to people who might want to be surprised is the polite thing to do.

There are lots of other threada where peole drop links by saying "casting spoilers: link"

Because sometimes it's like "guy is cast as character's dad" which means tha character may actually meat their dad which is something people didn't expect and is kind of a stoey spoiler.

Also, when you say something like "news source reports that Jian Yang murders Erlich this season", it's only apparent that that is a joke to people who reas the link. People who don't want to know casting spoilers don't read the link.

Just be considerate.

Edit: ^ did you even read the next sentence after the one you bolded?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm all for just spoilering anything if someone asks, just out of courtesy because it takes like 2 seconds. Tbh it wouldn't have even crossed my mind to spoiler that an actor is publicly leaving a show either though. It's not even a GOT situation where the people involved are trying to hide it. It's all over entertainment headlines right now. Everything that is going to happen with him is just wild speculation.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Pharmaskittle posted:

SPOILER RULES: Are you talking about something that's already aired in an episode on the East Coast? Then you don't need spoiler tags. Are you talking about something that you only saw in a preview, or a commercial, or or due to a leaked ANYTHING? Then you need spoiler tags. Casting information is not a spoiler. Unless it obviously IS a spoiler, like a recurring character that was presumed dead or something coming back. Honestly, just use common sense. Netflix shows "air" all at once, so once they go up, there's no need for spoiler tags in that show's thread. You should still use them in other threads that might mention the show for at least a month. poo poo like this falls under the "common sense" clause.

Ok so that's settled, can we be done posting about posting?

veni veni veni posted:

Tbh it wouldn't have even crossed my mind to spoiler that an actor is publicly leaving a show either though. It's not even a GOT situation where the people involved are trying to hide it. It's all over entertainment headlines right now. Everything that is going to happen with him is just wild speculation.

I dunno, as someone who avoids 'entertainment news' like the plague, I only ever see this kind of stuff in these threads. I like to just watch the show and learn of a characters appearance/leaving through the show itself :V rather than having that experience... spoiled?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, and thats, fair. I get it.

I basically don't read entertainment news at all.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Did anyone ever stop to think that this bit of casting information was released by the writers intentionally? Maybe they intend that viewers be aware of future casting changes when watching the remaining episodes. In which case spoiler tagging the information is actually watching TV wrong.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Again, it's still available to people who read entertainment news. Some people don't because it's mostly terrible opinions and sometimes spoilers.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

cosmically_cosmic posted:

I dunno, as someone who avoids 'entertainment news' like the plague, I only ever see this kind of stuff in these threads. I like to just watch the show and learn of a characters appearance/leaving through the show itself :V rather than having that experience... spoiled?

Yeah but do you really think you wouldn't have run into that info before the next season airs in well over a year? If it was plot related and the producers were trying to hide it, I think I'd understand more (like killing off a character and them being spotted on set down the line or something) but this is just a dude leaving his job and it will effect the plot in some way out of necessity.

Like I was saying, I hate people that ruin things or argue that they are within their rights to ruin something because of X reasons, but at the same time there is only so much people can do and if someone is that sensitive to any info related to something, they are probably just best off going into a blackout.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Snak posted:

I just feel like erring on the side of being considerate to people who might want to be surprised is the polite thing to do.

I feel like the thread for every tv show shouldn't look like a FOIA request from the CIA. There's not even any guarantee he won't be on the show again.

Obviously you have to draw the line somewhere. And that's where it's been drawn here. I don't know if you were here when commercials and previews were considered bannable offenses by Herr Pedotrek, but it was loving ridiculous. Shows like Battlestar Galactica were literally "spoiling" themselves in the commercials while the episode was airing and threads were unreadable black bar ridden poo poo.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 26, 2017

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Should Carrie Fisher's death have been spoilered in Star Wars threads?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

This thread is making me long for the days when people were in earnest arguing about spaces vs tabs.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The worst is when you're working in some language where whitespace is actually part the code, like Python, and they get mixed, and then you load it into an editor with a different tabs to spaces conversion and you're just hosed.

Edit: I'm very torn on Richard's views, because I do orefer tabs over spaces, but I also use vim over emacs.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Bachman beating the poo poo out of that little kid will be the funniest thing ever :(

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Press tab to insert four spaces, but more importantly use an IDE where it auto-indents and you should hardly ever have to do so manually

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I want to know Richard's views on text editors that convert tab keypresses to spaces. It seemed like he was bothered by the tap tap tap of spacebar so perhaps that is ok.

Tab widths vary from editor to editor but if you always indent by 3 or 4 spaces then it will stay consistent!

I feel a more important thing is shunning people who save code and check it in with windows line endings. gently caress those people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Mister Fister posted:

Bachman beating the poo poo out of that little kid will be the funniest thing ever :(

I dunno, this is a pretty strong contender:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fHdA5rBjio

• Locked thread