Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Does this mean 16 people will die trying to retrieve their bodies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Does this mean 16 people will die trying to retrieve their bodies?

We can only hope

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
ugh undershot my death pool

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Jimmy Hats posted:

ugh undershot my death pool

Me too

*throws up horse racing tickets in disgust*

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Even my 12 looks like it might be low. Anyone who went higher than 12?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Do we really have to do this poo poo again

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

What will be was, what was will be.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Skarsnik posted:

yeah

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

It's pretty loving lame and this thread is good enough without it

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

nope

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Skarsnik posted:

It's pretty loving lame and this thread is good enough without it

Okay here's the thing.

I came within inches of my life falling off a mountain. I was heli-slung off, strapped to a spineboard dangling under the helicopter 1000 feet in the air because I couldn't walk and was taken to hospital in the back of an ambulance tearing rear end down this gravel road. It was 6 years ago and I still get flashbacks or start to think about what would have happened to my body had I gone over the side of the ledge I landed on and fell down a 500ft tall vertical cliff and it scares me to this day. It left me with big scars on my legs, hands, and head that serve as a constant reminder how close I came to dying on a mountain. It was a fairly traumatic experience. And I have taken part in every death pool in all of these threads. I believe I've earned my right to take part in a bad joke.

If a mountain is famous for killing a ton of people, most of whom had no business being there to begin with, then people are going to discuss it. Our way has been with the death pool for years. Most posters don't sincerely wish for people to die, even if they say they do. This is Something Awful. We're here because there's something hosed up in our heads and our sense of humour is terrible and dark. It's what this stupid community was founded on. Complain all you want about it, but the death pool is always going to be a part of these threads no matter what bitch level it gets to. The only think more annoying than reveling in the death pool are the people who endless post about how much they don't like it.

TL/DR: Shush, that's just how it is

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

that's a pretty badass road to get raced down as you nearly die

All i've got recently is some road rash and bruises from eating poo poo on a mountain bike in an attempt to save a snake that was using the same trail

Business
Feb 6, 2007

The people who died in the tent died of carbon monoxide from cooking in the tent cause it was too cold out . . .

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
jesus christ

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Wow, I never even considered that. Zhumulangma is getting creative.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Everest No Filter is about to do they're summit push about half an hour ago, said they'll be back in 48 hours

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Business posted:

The people who died in the tent died of carbon monoxide from cooking in the tent cause it was too cold out . . .

No one else instantly assumed this or lighting it for heat? There are people there who show up without having tested their gear, you shouldn't expect them to know how to use it.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

It's not the celebrating death thing I have a problem with, I've been following this thread since the very first one and enjoy a good rich idiot falling off the mountain as anyone

It's just the extremely dull wall of guesses and then accompanying 'oh I guessed too low' or 'only 5 more to go!' part of it that this thread suffers from

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 25, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Maybe we should just stop the deathpool entirely, it only causes problems.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Speaking of the Death Pool should be banned from first ascent to last descent. Assuming the last person doesn't become a corpse. Then 2nd to last descent.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Whatever system lets me dish out the most probations works for me. :clint:

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.
Didn't Nepal decide it was going to be more circumspect when issuing climbing permits? It doesn't seem to be working out very well for them, this year is kind of rough.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

right to bear karma posted:

Didn't Nepal decide it was going to be more circumspect when issuing climbing permits? It doesn't seem to be working out very well for them, this year is kind of rough.

Sure is, reminds me of some of a bad Sydney to Hobart (1998). It's a yacht race which used to have stunningly low safety standards for its competitors, such that many crew just didn't know how to operate a life raft, so when poo poo got real they'd make a ton of baffling errors that ultimately resulted in loss of life.

Bad life raft, broke in a bunch of ways, but then flipped and then they cut the bottom out, and while I sympathise with the interview that answers the criticism with "Well, when people say that to me I just sort of take it on and don't say anything because I know that they weren't there and they don't know what it was like.", in the end of the day when you go out you gotta know your poo poo. Cutting out a primary piece of your life raft's buoyancy is an error of incredible proportions that anyone going to sea should even contemplate for reasons that are obvious if trained in life rafts.

The uninitiated and untrained always seem to find ways to create unique case studies of what not to do when situations get severe. Or even how to make a benign situation fatal.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

nsaP posted:

No one else instantly assumed this or lighting it for heat? There are people there who show up without having tested their gear, you shouldn't expect them to know how to use it.

I did but have lost the ability to tell which of three active everest threads I'm posting in.

shame on an IGA posted:

Is this everest's first Carbon Monoxide kill?

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

How come CO1 deaths haven't been a thing before? Is it because people have been using different kinds of stoves before or is it that tents have got more airtight?

Business
Feb 6, 2007

what the gently caress there have been two everest threads this whole time?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

right to bear karma posted:

They said they would be more careful. I guess they needed more money because they let that guy try to go for oldest whatever to whatever and he died.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Business posted:

what the gently caress there have been two everest threads this whole time?

Shhh don't bring the GBS spotlight on this the good one

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

I think if Nepalese authorities have just recently told that they are more careful with dispensing summit permits, it might not be this year that the effect is seen. If I recall correctly, the permits given for the 2014 and 2015 seasons cut short by the base camp avalance and other tragedies and the Nepal earthquake, respectively, can still be used this summit season in both cases, and unless I remember wrong this year is the final year to use them from 2014.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

This links to this in-depth article which is pretty good.
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20151008-the-graveyard-in-the-clouds-everests-200-dead-bodies

I wish BBC made a similar piece about us, posters ITT.

"The Death Count is one of the things that got me interested in this thread," says Doctor Malaver, one of the posters who never climbed above 1.000 m. "I also liked pretty pictures so I followed the thread from GBS to its current location, " he recounts from his dusty but cozy apartment.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
Now Nepal is disputing that four people died in a tent.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/05/24/529855463/everest-death-toll-rises-to-10-this-season-after-4-more-climbers-found-dead

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

How come CO1 deaths haven't been a thing before? Is it because people have been using different kinds of stoves before or is it that tents have got more airtight?

Most people know about the issue of CO poisoning and run their stoves outside the tent or take steps to ensure there's some kind of ventilation happening. These guys apparently didn't.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

gohuskies posted:

Most people know about the issue of CO poisoning and run their stoves outside the tent or take steps to ensure there's some kind of ventilation happening. These guys apparently didn't.
Hypothermia and anoxia cause people to make bad decisions? :monocle:

The summit to death ratio is poor but Australia has one more hidden killer:

quote:

There have been at least 35 deaths relating to recreational climbing since such incidents began being recorded

Uluru

The schadenfreude is that the traditional owners ask people not to climb the rock for culturally sensitive reasons, so to die on the rock you have to be a completely insensitive loving idiot. Even worse, dying on the rock amounts to a desecration of a sacred place and means more people have to climb the loving rock to bring the bodies back (Dingoes have been known to chew on fall victims).

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

My mountains have incredibly diverse causes of death. There are many different ways to fall. In the past few years there's been several scramblers, rock climbers not tying knots in the ends of their ropes :wtc:, alpinists falling into crevasses, and uncontrollable glissades, and freesoloers found the next day by hikers because they went by themselves. There's been a few river and lake deaths where people fall in while kayaking or canoeing or walking on ice. BASE jumpers are on the increase. Every winter people get swept away in avalanches, usually triggered by them. Bear attacks happen sometimes, but I think there's only been one fatality in the last 5 years. Then of course there's car accidents and sometimes a murder because some of the biggest highways in the country pass through. I think someone got hit by a train too. That's the problem with a highly accessible yet still seriously dangerous mountain range. It's easy for people to go in and die at a high rate.

All of these stories get posted about by public safety sections on social media to hopefully prevent a repeat incident through education.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Cartoon posted:

Uluru

The schadenfreude is that the traditional owners ask people not to climb the rock for culturally sensitive reasons, so to die on the rock you have to be a completely insensitive loving idiot. Even worse, dying on the rock amounts to a desecration of a sacred place and means more people have to climb the loving rock to bring the bodies back (Dingoes have been known to chew on fall victims).

That's a convenient religious doctrine. We'll lease our holy ground to the government and we'll suggest to people not to climb, despite that there's a chain specifically for that purpose. So we get the money AND we're clean before the god/s because hey we placed the sign not our fault if they climb, right?

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Doctor Malaver posted:

That's a convenient religious doctrine. We'll lease our holy ground to the government and we'll suggest to people not to climb, despite that there's a chain specifically for that purpose. So we get the money AND we're clean before the god/s because hey we placed the sign not our fault if they climb, right?

lol

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Doctor Malaver posted:

Leases can come with conditions, or have you never rented anything in your life?

If the owner tells you to get off their property, maybe you should just do that, regardless of their reasons.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Doctor Malaver posted:

Maybe Australia has had even up to today, a complicated and unpleasant relationship with it's indigenous people.

Or maybe the Aboriginal people believe that their doctrine doesn't necessarily mean others can't do what the please.

But I suppose that's pretty convenient.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Dongsturm posted:

Leases can come with conditions, or have you never rented anything in your life?

If the owner tells you to get off their property, maybe you should just do that, regardless of their reasons.

Oh I do rent out an apartment. The lease says "Rent has to be paid by XY of each month", it doesn't say "Please consider paying rent by XY of each month".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business
Feb 6, 2007

the snapchat guys are leaving soon for the summit. I am rooting for them because they are doing hard mode without oxygen tanks and it seems like hell