Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

lamentable dustman posted:

Just saw the bodyslam poo poo on Chris Hayes

Lmao, this timeline is amazing

should have teched the throw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I'm just watching The Amazing Race and teams are in South Korea and they arrived at an e-sports arena where the challenge is to play SFV.

A dude just keeps getting wrecked by Poongko and I think Infiltration is there but he isn't playing.

At some point I'm almost positive they're going to blindfold Poongko so dude-bro stands a chance of taking a round.

Edit: haha they tied one of Poongkos hands behind his back and he still wins.

The KoRn Identity
Apr 9, 2009

SectumSempra posted:

I think sonicfox makes flat out the most of the fighting game players in lump sum at least, and even he just kinda streams with no commentary IIRC.

In general most esports players get spurts of money and what they do from there with it is what makes or breaks them.
Usually the streamers who make the money, as you said, do one of 2 things, have a huge following already, play every single game possible and have a shtick.
Like that lifecoach guy invested super well but I'm not sure he counts because he invested poker money.
Lirik basically has a 9-5 thats streaming whatever.
MoonMoon plays overwatch for god knows how many hows a day.

xiaohai gets arteezy numbers streaming ft15s in kof2000 on doyou

The KoRn Identity
Apr 9, 2009
your boy is on the mic for chombo breaker top 24 kof

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

AndyElusive posted:

Edit: haha they tied one of Poongkos hands behind his back and he still wins.

To be fair, I feel like I would lose to a pro using one hand as well. Remember watching that adventure episode with li Joe beating some plat using one hand.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

For sure, but I have faith that you and most fighting game players would take a round off him and move past the roadblock faster than ChadBroChill did.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
I think only one of them beat the pro pre-blindfold, but he was already so far behind that it didn't matter. Pretty funny to me that infiltration was there but he just seemed to be hanging around and not doing much. I guess he was organizing/coaching?

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
I mean it's SFV so it's basically a coin flip anyway :supaburn:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Brosnan posted:

I mean it's SFV so it's basically a coin flip anyway :supaburn:

i dunno the coinflip tournaments at nec were more fun to watch than sfv

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuHv470DxsE

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The fact that they really did take the turbo out of SFII is an absolutely fascinsting story hidden in plain sight.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
FYI TeamSpooky has a stream up of a Balls 3D tournament at ComboBreaker

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

FYI TeamSpooky has a stream up of a Balls 3D tournament at ComboBreaker
They had Dong Dong Never Die on a little earlier!

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Broken Loose spotted
https://twitter.com/TheN4Us/status/868167088766169088

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

I wonder if you can jab into demon just like you can jab into SPD (unless the other guy can do his 1f reversal if I remember).

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

My god that announcer is bad. Please tell me you get the classic announcer with classic graphics.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

nice bunny ears

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Broken Loose already bodied.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

C. Everett Koop posted:

My god that announcer is bad. Please tell me you get the classic announcer with classic graphics.

give me big bird or give me death

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

anime was right posted:

give me big bird or give me death

gently caress, can't unhear.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

C. Everett Koop posted:

Just play Super Turbo?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Rutibex posted:

Just play Super Turbo?

That's not the classic announcer. The CE guy is.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
ST announcer is superior bc of "Barlog"

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i'm deejays toad voice

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

Salt rapidly moving from an area of high to low concentration :pwn:

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Pomp posted:

i'm deejays toad voice

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
New Core A Gaming Video Up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSgA_nK_w3A

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

If Street Fighter 5 is simple mode crap for pubbies than why does anyone play it competitively? Street Fighter 4 still exists, as does many other fighting games.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Rutibex posted:

If Street Fighter 5 is simple mode crap for pubbies than why does anyone play it competitively? Street Fighter 4 still exists, as does many other fighting games.
Money.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Rutibex posted:

top players and whoever is on their coattails will aggressively shill for poo poo games if they think they can make a buck. for reference see sfxt

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
It's also not terrible enough of a game (unlike xT) to make people quit playing it

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

sfv is a bad game but calling it bad because of randomness or whatever is some baby poo poo lol. they could have just said its got a dull poking game and the defense game is trash

it's volatile within the top 5% of players because of those factors, but those players are still quite consistent in making it to the top

he cited the likely staged daigo/lupe match lol

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

Randomness is definitely increased by input lag and having to be largely predictive, any time you commit to a read you're basically taking a gamble and the skill is picking the times with the high probability, but people are rarely consistent enough that it would come anywhere close to the consistency of whiff punishing (e.g. 100% of the time if you're prepared) and other forms of reactive play that SFV has decided to jettison overboard for lovely reasons

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

yeah I get that part and definitely agree. i mainly took issue with the tone of the video which seemed to imply past skill was 100% useless in the game. which is definitely not true because people with good footsies and oki are still generally going to steamroll, maybe even more so now since defense is bad bad bad

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dj Meow Mix posted:

yeah I get that part and definitely agree. i mainly took issue with the tone of the video which seemed to imply past skill was 100% useless in the game. which is definitely not true because people with good footsies and oki are still generally going to steamroll, maybe even more so now since defense is bad bad bad

When games get easier good players have an easier time dominating too

brian
Sep 11, 2001

Dj Meow Mix posted:

i don't think it did that, I thought it towed the line between dutifully in depth for the competitive crowd while making the whole thing accessible enough for joe public, I got the impression they were always talking relatively to previous games, given the context of pitting it vs moment 37 over and over. I thought the lupe thing was dumb though, a single line about how it was most probably staged would've made it a lot less silly, but clearly they were trying to find a very public and exaggerated example of the perceived problem, that said it makes the rest of the argument weaker by including it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

brian posted:

i don't think it did that, I thought it towed the line between dutifully in depth for the competitive crowd while making the whole thing accessible enough for joe public, I got the impression they were always talking relatively to previous games, given the context of pitting it vs moment 37 over and over. I thought the lupe thing was dumb though, a single line about how it was most probably staged would've made it a lot less silly, but clearly they were trying to find a very public and exaggerated example of the perceived problem, that said it makes the rest of the argument weaker by including it.

Street Fighter 2 is accessible enough to the Joe Public. You push a button and you punch, you hold a direction you move in that direction. Two Joe Publics can play this game and have a fair competition of skill. I think the "accessibility" that people object to is the flattening of the skill curve.

Joe Public should never have a chance against Tom Tryhard, because the only way to do that in a competitive game is to introduce some sort of randomness (be it something as obvious as a random dizzy timer, or creating an input lag). Adding randomness like this hurts high level play, because if you flatten out the skill curve top matches end up being determined entirely by the random element. The same principals apply to board game design. You could add dice rolls to Chess to make it more "accessible" to average Joe player, but it will piss off grand-masters.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Real hurthling! posted:

When games get easier good players have an easier time dominating too

not when making the game easier also lowers the skill ceiling/"player agency"/"player expression"

Rutibex posted:

Street Fighter 2 is accessible enough to the Joe Public. You push a button and you punch, you hold a direction you move in that direction. Two Joe Publics can play this game and have a fair competition of skill. I think the "accessibility" that people object to is the flattening of the skill curve.

Joe Public should never have a chance against Tom Tryhard, because the only way to do that in a competitive game is to introduce some sort of randomness (be it something as obvious as a random dizzy timer, or creating an input lag). Adding randomness like this hurts high level play, because if you flatten out the skill curve top matches end up being determined entirely by the random element. The same principals apply to board game design. You could add dice rolls to Chess to make it more "accessible" to average Joe player, but it will piss off grand-masters.

while this is all true, it never gets to this level of computation for most people, if they would even try sf in the first place

SF2 is a good example, if its 1990 and you walk into an arcade, you see the SF2 attract mode going off. there's a low level AI fight and a cutscene of a dude getting punched. The game just looks cool. if its in an arcade, you already know some rando might come up and fight you if you're battling. you can't even play without knowing you might encounter a tough opponent. but its an arcade, you dont expect your quarter to last long anyway.

look at SFV in 2017. There's no arcade or attract mode. You find out about the game through a video online, on TV, or whatever. It's not going to be a video of stupid AIs fighting, its going to be "cool combos" and "tough battles" that people are seeing, in a promo video or a match. Instead of the FMV with the dudes punching eachother, you're going to see people in esports jerseys making faces when they are losing/winning.

the last thing that most normal, non fg people saw with SFV in it was The Amazing Race, where pro players were dominating mashing newbies one handed/blindfolded. This just stops weak baby people from ever trying and getting that first taste of blood that makes them want to say "i want to crush in this loving game." And if someone manages to ignore all of the promo material, and all of the pro matches, and everything else about the game... they go online and fight people that didn't ignore all of that stuff.

Zand fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 28, 2017

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
https://clips.twitch.tv/NimbleOutstandingPenguinHassaanChop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brian
Sep 11, 2001

Rutibex posted:

????

I was talking about the video not SFV