Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Dem Bones posted:

Some TVs have an optical out that you might be able to use that will output what they get over HDMI. All else fails you can put a cheap HDMI->HDMI+optical box between your ATV and your TV/surround: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBKTWT0/

Yeah, my fairly new TV has an optical port, which is why I'm hopeful, but I just don't want to rush out and buy an Apple TV without being sure.

And all the extractors tend to be a little spotty judging by reviews; I live in Europe, so a lot of US options aren't even available here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dem Bones posted:

Some TVs have an optical out that you might be able to use that will output what they get over HDMI. All else fails you can put a cheap HDMI->HDMI+optical box between your ATV and your TV/surround: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBKTWT0/

Yeah, if your amplifier doesn't have multi-HDMI in, then getting one of those for each HDMI device you have would probably be best.

I have a Dennon 5.1 system that has four HDMI in and one HDMI out. I have my PS4, Apple TV, FireTV 4K, and SteamLink attached to it. The amplifier strips the digital audio signal out and then sends the video on to the TV. All of it is controlled with Harmony Hub, so except for the PS4 and SteamLink, I only need the one remote (or the phone app) to watch stuff.

I technically have ARC, but ARC is kind of lovely and results in a multiple cables into the TV as opposed to just the one I use with my current setup. Plus if I use ARC I only get 2 Channel sound which is super irritating.

EDIT: Actually if you have multiple HDMI sources and a single SPDIF input on your amp, you may want to look at something like this instead. Plug your devices into that, HDMI out to the TV and SPDIF to the amp for sound.

https://www.amazon.com/Switcher-Selector-Extractor-Splitter-Supports/dp/B00Q2D0AV8/

I'd DEFINITELY shop around and read reviews (and if it has less than 50 reviews I wouldn't even bother if they're mostly 5 star since they're probably all fake reviews).

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 6, 2017

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

ufarn posted:

Yeah, my fairly new TV has an optical port, which is why I'm hopeful, but I just don't want to rush out and buy an Apple TV without being sure.
Something you may want to check - my cheap Vizio TV has an optical out port, but it only outputs a signal if the TV input is set to Antenna.

This is the switch I got (on sale) and for five months it's been flawless, but the front LEDs are really bright so they're covered with electrical tape. (Also sold through Amazon iirc). https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5557

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I managed to find this which seems good. Although I wish it had more ports. but I'll just swap when I need to. EDIT: This has garbage throughput of 1080p according to the description. So it has to be another one.

Because I know jack about how high-def audio works, I just want to make sure I understand this:

I've got a Panasonic CX725 (4K, no HDR) with 3 HDMI ports (incl. one with ARC) and a digital audio out.

I've got my receiver that only has the one digital port. This is connected to my optical splitter/switch.

Currently, I just get surround on all devices by hooking them up to my splitter/switch.

The devices I've hooked up to it are my TV, PS4, and (old) Apple TV. I'll probably be getting a new Apple TV and maybe a Nintendo Switch, both of which only have HDMI-based audio that use PCM 5.1 instead of Dolby 5.1.

So the way this would work is that I would connect the device's:

OpticalOut => Receiver
HDMIout => TV (either HDMI port)
HDMIin1 => PS4
HDMIin2 => ATV
Hdmiin3 => Switch

And the digital-out port on my TV would just be unused?

What is it about the HDMI audio extractor that lets devices send their digital audio signal? I guess I might as well have gotten that instead the first time around instead of the optical splitter/switch.

Do I need a specific version of HDMI cable for this to work, or is it part of how HDMI works in general.

I don't mind buying the thing if it works, it's just a bit of a leap of faith without me having the slightest clue how it actually works.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 6, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ufarn posted:

And the digital-out port on my TV would just be unused?

Correct

ufarn posted:

What is it about the HDMI audio extractor that lets devices send their digital audio signal? I guess I might as well have gotten that instead the first time around instead of the optical splitter/switch.

Do I need a specific version of HDMI cable for this to work, or is it part of how HDMI works in general.

I don't mind buying the thing if it works, it's just a bit of a leap of faith without me having the slightest clue how it actually works.

HDMI carries both the digital video and digital audio (and other data).

The devices redirect the audio over the fiber (or digital coax) and leave the remainder of the signal to be sent over the HDMI out port on the box. The only difference between a single port input box is this one can switch between inputs.

Almost all of these devices need HDMI 1.3a or better cable. If it specifically says it supports 4K, you'll need 1.4 at a minimum, but 2.0 is probably better since that supports 4K at 60 fps. The device specs should tell you the minimum HDMI version needed.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Thanks, flosofl, that clears that up.

Looks like I might be able to use eBay as a backup option.

I don't see anyone going higher than 4Kp30; is this a limitation, or is the press material just before the PS4 Pro came out?

In which case, is something like this fine?

EDIT: 4Kp30 limit is what it is, but some 4Kp60 devices apparently cut the signal if they only have 30 Hz of headroom? Anyone know when and where this happens?

ufarn fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 7, 2017

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
New rumor that Apple will announce Amazon Prime for AppleTV at WWDC. Amazon will also resume selling the AppleTV.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Hopefully Amazon brings a Music app with them.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
Ive been watching The Handmaids Tale on Hulu, through my TiVo. I decided to watch it through hulus ATV4 app, and was suprised to see a Hulu watermark in the lower right throughout the episode.

Wierd that its not consistent, i guess ill go back to tivo for this show

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Could be older/worse HDCP.

A lot of pirated content seems to come from Amazon's service, so I'd give the channels and networks a break for figuring out how to deal with the weakest links in their distribution.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

Hopefully Amazon brings a Music app with them.

And twitch.tv

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

badjohny posted:

And twitch.tv

Twitchy is already better than what they'd likely create.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Does anyone have any luck with VLC? I'm trying to load a bunch of short videos onto it and have them automatically play one after another and then loop from the beginning again. It has to be stand alone with no network connection so I can't stream stuff to it.

I've got a bunch of videos loaded onto it in the Remote Playback section's Cached Media. But I can't get it to play the next video automatically, it just goes back to the video listing screen. If I set repeat to "single" then it loops the current video. If I set it to folder, then at the end of the video it just stops and goes to a gray screen. I can't figure out how to create folders of local media on this version of VLC. (If I jiggle a video, I can't get it to move to drag onto another video to create a folder like it does on the iPad version.)

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

The Apple TV VLC app seemed really terrible when I last used it.

AirVideoHD has an option to autoplay the next video in the current folder, but I don't see any way to loop them.

Plex has a playlist feature which I assume would have a repeat feature. You would need to cough up $5/month to sync videos locally though.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I've used VLC to occasionally play streaming URLs and that's it. There's better tools for almost everything else.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!

Craptacular! posted:

Twitchy is already better than what they'd likely create.

Yeah Twitchy is pretty great. Only thing I'd like in an official app is the new Communities feature on Twitch that's on the website/mobile apps.

As an aside I know Apple isn't usually know for their good deals but goddamn I love their movie sales. You guys see that 10 'Revenge Movie' bundle for $10?

You get 3:10 To Yuma, Coriolanus, Crank, Dredd, Haywire, Hero, Law Abiding Citizen, Rambo First Blood, The Expendables, and some movie called Seal Team Six. All for $10

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Only AppleTV news out of WWDC today was Amazon Prime Video is confirmed. Only "later this year" confirmed for timing.

Edit: VVVVV That was my first thought too.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 5, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Thwomp posted:

Only AppleTV news out of WWDC today was Amazon Prime Video is confirmed. Only "later this year" confirmed for timing.

It'll probably launch with the 4K AppleTV.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
Edit: this post was a complete mess so I rewrote it.

Do you guys have any experience with surround sound systems getting a video/audio signal from an AppleTV and forwarding the video to the television set? The reason I'm asking this is I'd love to be able to Airplay music to an ATV4 without switching on the TV. Right now I have a basic setup with very simple speakers attached directly to my TV.

I Am Crake fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 6, 2017

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
What sort of audio output does your TV currently have? Or more importantly, what type of input do your speakers have?

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

What sort of audio output does your TV currently have? Or more importantly, what type of input do your speakers have?

Oh yeah it'd have been handy to mention I'm looking for new speakers to make this possible. Right now I've connected a pair of Logitech PC speakers to the TV's headphone jack. The TV has optical and jack for audio out.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Ok, if you want to use powered speakers, and not a receiver + traditional unpowered speakers, you're probably going to want to look at an HDMI switch with an "audio extractor" or "audio splitter". I have this one because I needed optical audio out, but they also make them with L/R line level audio out if you end up needing that:

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-10...ptical+splitter

(That particular one is probably cheaper if you buy it direct from Monoprice).

Plug the HDMI from your AppleTV and PS4 (I saw your pre-edit) into the inputs, connect the HDMI out to your TV, and connect the audio out to your speakers. You'll have to manually switch source between the ATV and PS4, but that'll give you audio whether or not the TV is on.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I Am Crake posted:

Edit: this post was a complete mess so I rewrote it.

Do you guys have any experience with surround sound systems getting a video/audio signal from an AppleTV and forwarding the video to the television set? The reason I'm asking this is I'd love to be able to Airplay music to an ATV4 without switching on the TV. Right now I have a basic setup with very simple speakers attached directly to my TV.

That's how I currently have things set up.

ATV4 ---> HDMI IN on Dennon ---HDMI OUT on Dennon --> Sony TV

It works great, but keep in mind it will likely break HDMI CEC. I use a Harmony Hub and have activities set up to use AppleTV/Dennon Sound System/Sony TV for when I want to watch PS Vue/Netflix/etc... and then another that only turns on the ATV and the Dennon for use with audio being cast via AirPlay.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Let's be fair though, a rogue sneeze can break HDMI CEC.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mine is set up the same though with an Onkyo receiver and HDMI-CEC works perfectly. I just click the AppleTV remote a couple of times and everything turns on to the correct input

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

Thanks! That sounds like a great way to have things setup.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anyone else been getting issues where you can move the cursor on Netflix but the screen doesn't scroll anything so your "cursor" essentially moves offscreen and you can't see poo poo??

Restart fixes it.. for a while...

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004
Yea, I've had that happen in other apps as well.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
Last night, yeah. A restart fixed it but I hope this doesnt recur.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Keystoned posted:

Last night, yeah. A restart fixed it but I hope this doesnt recur.

It will. It's been happening to me nearly daily. :(
For over a month.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
A workaround that I found while it was happening was using voice search to find what I wanted. Not ideal but something until its fixed.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I'd give my left leg for a remote locator function for the Siri Remote.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm usually sitting on it.

And don't realize until the video suddenly starts rewinding for no reason.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wish this had 4K support. It's crazy that tvs have built in support but they still haven't updated this to do it. Ridiculous.

Atleast it's getting amazon but considering getting rid of this for a Roku which is a shame because I love the Watch Next features :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Empress Brosephine posted:

I wish this had 4K support. It's crazy that tvs have built in support but they still haven't updated this to do it. Ridiculous.

Atleast it's getting amazon but considering getting rid of this for a Roku which is a shame because I love the Watch Next features :(

There's almost certainly a 4K one by the end of the year

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's another $200 though for a set top box. Sucks. Should just be a firmware update.

I wish there was a way to get iTunes and Apple Music on other devices though. :(

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Doesn't have the HDMI or HDCP capabilities, so it has to be new hardware. The current version basically feels like it sat on the shelf forever as they tried to get good deals in place, which then fell through, and while being way better than the old model definitely came up short. Still love mine, will add a 4K version when it comes out and relegate the old one to the bedroom.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
How many apps on AppleTV even support 4K on other devices? 1?

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

Mahoning posted:

How many apps on AppleTV even support 4K on other devices? 1?

I imagine the ones for your own media, like Plex and Infuse, all do. Then there's Netflix and YouTube I'm sure of. There's probably streaming services in the U.S. outside of Netflix (which is the only one we get) that support it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Netflix and Amazon are the big ones. Hulu does also right?