Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

No Mods No Masters posted:

I like you gwent goons, here's a fun deck I've been climbing with based on what I was able to open. Use crach to bring out morkvarg the magic unremoveable minion, then put all the buffs on morkvarg. It's surprisingly solid and it would be even better with the golden longship :pray:

This is legit good even if straightforward. Made some changes, dropped the Rain and the lacerate and instead added the Bear Roars. You always have a target to use them, and you gain 10 points on average, plus can be ressed later on.

Wild Boar of the Sea is amazing, but it's power diminishes greatly after R1, or at least until people figure out that they should not drag a R1 when Mork and Boar are on the board. Also pro tip, if Mork dies he respawns to the LEFT of Boar, so ideally you want to put Crach/Hjalmar to buffer in case of bad things happening. Lugos is also good, more so to smooth out awkward hands and bad rally pulls.

But the real shining star of this deck is the Spores and the Nilfgaard rage concedes when you crush their hopes and dreams by reset their impera brigades. So good.

Also been trying Henselt NR Machine decks and can report that it's not very good, and shares the exact problem with other NR decks cause they are just scorch/Gigni bait. The other flaw is that all good Machines require targets on the board to be useful, the trebuchets need long rows, ballistas need a lot of setup, and the Siege Towers are underwhelming. In the end the best Machine is the one that has no Crewmen, the Reinforced Trebuchet.

Maybe you can have some luck by running the Reinforced Ballista in a Radovid deck that uses Siege Support/Platform in a more control fashion.

Overall NR rework still needs some work.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Having a blast playing my Calveit deck that isn't reveal or spy bullshit. It seems fairly tuned against them and is just using all the dumb silvers and golds they have access to. I've never played a deck that was able to play all 6 silvers and all 4 golds during the match. I changed some cards in late last night and today, so if you want to give a Nilfgaard deck a shot that isn't one of the two main ones you see and is very control heavy, give it a shot. Let me know if you think anything could be changed.

http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/18501-calveit-control

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
So is First Light considered a Weather Card? I'm away from the PC and can't check right now. I also play Nilfgaard Control with 2x First Light and I was wondering if I should craft a Vanhemar.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
death to all those who play nilfgaard

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Seedge posted:

Protip! If you have three Wild Hunt Riders boosting each other with their Trio ability, don't play a fourth or it'll switch them all off.

Well that's contre-intuitive as gently caress

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
First light is just a special card. Vanhemar is pretty decent, but mostly because he gives access to so many different abilities, including first light. Most of the time he is just a super late game tremors to swing the game like 11-15 strength, but sometimes the frost can be good if they are row stacking like Queensguard sometimes does.

Nilfgaard is pretty strong and thats why i'm basically playing the deck that counters all the other decks.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Meallan posted:

So is First Light considered a Weather Card? I'm away from the PC and can't check right now. I also play Nilfgaard Control with 2x First Light and I was wondering if I should craft a Vanhemar.

Gwentdb is outdated, Vamhemar spawns Tremors, clear skies or biting frost. Vanhemar like all Silver Mages is a decent flex option. Mostly for the Clear Skies.

But First Light does NOT count as weather.

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

Great to see this finally in open beta, also speaking of NR figure i'll share this deck since they're all i'm playing right now.

Golds are pretty flexible, apart from Shani and maybe royal decree or a renewal but the silvers are hard locked. General idea is go long in round one with reaver hunters with either Philpa or RNR to close it out, once in round three revive/resurrect the hunters and henselt them out - thinning where you can with scouts/adepts.

Though yeah, overall the faction seems a little disjointed or disconnected, i'd like to see more of the trio keyword - it's a pretty fun mechanic because armor is seriously lackluster.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Electronico6 posted:

This is legit good even if straightforward. Made some changes, dropped the Rain and the lacerate and instead added the Bear Roars. You always have a target to use them, and you gain 10 points on average, plus can be ressed later on.

Wild Boar of the Sea is amazing, but it's power diminishes greatly after R1, or at least until people figure out that they should not drag a R1 when Mork and Boar are on the board. Also pro tip, if Mork dies he respawns to the LEFT of Boar, so ideally you want to put Crach/Hjalmar to buffer in case of bad things happening. Lugos is also good, more so to smooth out awkward hands and bad rally pulls.

But the real shining star of this deck is the Spores and the Nilfgaard rage concedes when you crush their hopes and dreams by reset their impera brigades. So good.

Good changes. I also pulled the trigger on crafting Ragh Nar Roog in the hopes they won't be making balance changes over the weekend, and swapped that in for triss.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Electronico6 posted:

Also been trying Henselt NR Machine decks and can report that it's not very good, and shares the exact problem with other NR decks cause they are just scorch/Gigni bait. The other flaw is that all good Machines require targets on the board to be useful, the trebuchets need long rows, ballistas need a lot of setup, and the Siege Towers are underwhelming. In the end the best Machine is the one that has no Crewmen, the Reinforced Trebuchet.

Maybe you can have some luck by running the Reinforced Ballista in a Radovid deck that uses Siege Support/Platform in a more control fashion.

Overall NR rework still needs some work.

I'm using a machine deck with a dandelion/temerian footsoldiers+a single blue stripez commando opener/finisher with decent results

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

botany posted:

death to all those who play nilfgaard

Yessssssss, this is what I want to hear.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Electronico6 posted:

Gwentdb is outdated, Vamhemar spawns Tremors, clear skies or biting frost. Vanhemar like all Silver Mages is a decent flex option. Mostly for the Clear Skies.

But First Light does NOT count as weather.

So I see my confusion comes from the gwentdb description of Vanhemar. This card then *spawns*, not summon, 1 out 3 weather effects.
Meaning you don't need to have them on deck?

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Meallan posted:

So I see my confusion comes from the gwentdb description of Vanhemar. This card then *spawns*, not summon, 1 out 3 weather effects.
Meaning you don't need to have them on deck?

That's correct

Summon->Pulls out of the Deck

Spawn->Creates and plays X card

You can see people messing up the keywords a lot in Wild Hunt Decks.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Oh did the Open Beta move the new day rollover from 7EST to 8EST?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Xtanstic posted:

Oh did the Open Beta move the new day rollover from 7EST to 8EST?

It was already at 8 EST during the closed beta.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Emhyr can pick up cow carcasses and let them chill out in his hand. I nabbed two of them in the mirror with Emhyr -> Cahir for a nice swing, then mulliganed them away over the next couple turns to get more of my cards. It's an edge case, but it's pretty funny.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Turns out the meta is solved, and it is Eredin Frost Spam with T3 Crones. I've lost to it every time, and it's always due to the combination of the guaranteed damage I take before I can immediately respond to it with my deck teched against it, and the glut of those cards in my hand that makes my own win conditions unreliable.

Honestly, other than RNR and maybe White Frost, I think weather is pretty close to fine. The problem is that the majority of the tools to deal with weather aren't in the starter decks, and are rarity blue or higher. The blue rarity ones are pretty mediocre as well, at least for Nilfgaard. So it pushes people to have their first crafts be purely reactionary or be eaten alive by weather decks, which causes weather decks to be all over the place at the start, which they are. If Dudu were replaced by a Mage for each faction that had Clear Skies as one of their spell choices, it would go a ways toward helping out with that.

Whoever said people should rush to rank 10 for the higher rank placement is a jerk. I'm F2P so far and upon hitting 10 today I've basically only placed against people who obviously have put down a fair bit of money on the game. After a couple days rest I'm now seeing Igni and Roach every game again :allears:

EDIT: Given the much lower base power of a lot of cards in the game, I hope the Crones get looked at. 20 points of power round 3 is much easier to achieve with the mulligan every round.

Locke Dunnegan fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 27, 2017

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
They probably should have implemented some sane limit on the number of kegs you could carry over from closed beta. Like 50 or something. Maybe 100 at the most. I guess you could break the limit if you actually bought more than that with cash but that can't be many people.

Having closed beta folks opening 200+ kegs on day 1 of open beta and being thrown in the pool with the noobs is just incredibly lol.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Chomp8645 posted:

They probably should have implemented some sane limit on the number of kegs you could carry over from closed beta. Like 50 or something. Maybe 100 at the most. I guess you could break the limit if you actually bought more than that with cash but that can't be many people.

Having closed beta folks opening 200+ kegs on day 1 of open beta and being thrown in the pool with the noobs is just incredibly lol.

Having a special mming pool for actual newbies vs closed beta veterans would've been a good idea, yeah. Probably a worthwhile investment going forward too, but eh

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Chomp8645 posted:

Very few people got above 50 free kegs from the closed beta, and I think quite literally nobody got over 80. It's mostly people who spent money who have the expensive cards, and they are paying to beat up on everyone else right now.

I've been enjoying NR and think there are some very fun mechanics most people haven't noticed, but it really annoys me that Pavetta is fleeting. The card's not even very strong, but it's interesting.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Yeah, I think it went 1 keg for every 5 player levels and 1 keg for every player rank. Only the kegs bought with actual money were a 1:1 transfer.

Hit level 10 and got my ranked play placement. I played the last few levels with my mulli'tel deck because using Ragh Nah Roog wild hunt just felt too cheesy. I think I need to pick up a Saskia to replace one of my gold cards though.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
As someone who plays primarily Monsters atm and wants to work on a Skellige and maybe eventually Nilfgaard deck, when presented with my second choice of legendaries, between the Scoiatel dual-hand-bouncer, the Nilfgaardian banish-spy dude, and Ciri Dash, I picked Ciri. Partly because, you know, neutral.

I hope I made the right choice. :ohdear: She does seem like she'd synergize well with either Discard Skellige or Draw Literally Everything Nilfgaard.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
So, about Octovist. How is the card after it transforms and returns to your hand? Have no idea what the Exhausted actually does.

Goblin
Jun 5, 2003

code:
ftp> put babybambino.jpg
ftp> del gravybaby.png
ftp> del gravybaby2.png
ftp> del gravybaby3.png
ftp> del gravybaby4.png
ftp> del gravybaby5.png
ftp> del gravybaby6.png
ftp> del gravybaby7.png
ftp> del gravybaby8.png
ftp> bye
Lipstick Apathy

GreyjoyBastard posted:

As someone who plays primarily Monsters atm and wants to work on a Skellige and maybe eventually Nilfgaard deck, when presented with my second choice of legendaries, between the Scoiatel dual-hand-bouncer, the Nilfgaardian banish-spy dude, and Ciri Dash, I picked Ciri. Partly because, you know, neutral.

I hope I made the right choice. :ohdear: She does seem like she'd synergize well with either Discard Skellige or Draw Literally Everything Nilfgaard.

yeah, sounds like you had Milva, Letho, and CiriD, that was definitely the right choice

Meallan posted:

So, about Octovist. How is the card after it transforms and returns to your hand? Have no idea what the Exhausted actually does.

It's just a blank Ocvist card, basically giving you one card advantage after it's effect triggers (but removing his STR off the board until you replay it). He's all tuckered out after hitting the enemy board for 1 per unit

Goblin fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 27, 2017

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Wait how is Kayren an insectoid? It's basically a giant squid/octopus.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Arrrthritis posted:

Yeah, I think it went 1 keg for every 5 player levels and 1 keg for every player rank. Only the kegs bought with actual money were a 1:1 transfer.

Hit level 10 and got my ranked play placement. I played the last few levels with my mulli'tel deck because using Ragh Nah Roog wild hunt just felt too cheesy. I think I need to pick up a Saskia to replace one of my gold cards though.

This is my new elf gimmick too. saesenthesis feels underwhelming though

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Meallan posted:

What Goblin said. I haven't seen him much since the patch (stiff competition among silvers, I guess) but he's pretty sweet with the new mulligan system. Use him for mega value in a round you plan to lose and enjoy trading him away next round for a real card on top of card advantage!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Ahhhhh yeah. Just combo'd a guy with a move straight from the Magic: The Gathering playbook.

I had the highest strength unit at 15. He had two units valued at 14 and didn't seem poised to gain anymore. I used Triss Merrigold to damage my own unit, bringing it to 10. Then I scorched both of his 14's.

I know that in a lot of situations this might not be worth it, but based on our card counts and other factors it seemed right to be the right call, and it buried him. Feels good man.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 07:20 on May 27, 2017

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I'm a newbie straight out from hearthstone, what are the recommended factions/decks for a F2P noob?

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.

Angry Lobster posted:

I'm a newbie straight out from hearthstone, what are the recommended factions/decks for a F2P noob?
The monster starter with Eredin is pretty good for new players. You've got a decent set of Wild Hunt units and 2 Frost cards so you can use a lot of their synergies from the get go. Look for one more Frost, one more Hound/Warrior/Navigator, Crones, Wild Hunt Riders, etc, when you open kegs. You will be in a very good position at this point without having to find a single gold card. You can also go harder on the weather by picking up Fog cards and Foglets.

e: I'm a new player myself and this has worked well so far unless I get matched up against high ranked closed beta players. Since you don't actually need additional gold cards to be decent you can focus on grabbing neutrals or stuff from another deck you'd like to play once you have more cards.

Magical Zero fucked around with this message at 09:57 on May 27, 2017

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
If you want to win, Weather Monsters. If you want a deck that won't get nerfed into the ground in the very first upcoming rebalancing, I'm playing queensguard and finding it fairly decent against most things that aren't weather monsters or carry GY fuckery(those would be nilfgaard or consume monsters).

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Opponents keep trying to Lock my Yennefer Conjurer and then are forced to lock their own minion since you can't cancel it. :allears:

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

Asehujiko posted:

If you want to win, Weather Monsters. If you want a deck that won't get nerfed into the ground in the very first upcoming rebalancing, I'm playing queensguard and finding it fairly decent against most things that aren't weather monsters or carry GY fuckery(those would be nilfgaard or consume monsters).

Consume Monsters is actually the best gimmick that faction has, although you don't see it a lot because it has expensive or odd pieces.
Weather is simultaneously too good and completely worthless, with 2-3 clear skies in each deck and Rag-Na-Roog splashes in random decks.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Oh yeah, my first gold cards from a keg!

Choices:
Geralt (starter), Cahir (starter), Woodland spirit.

Guess I'll take the spirit, even though I own 0(!) Foglet type cards.
:shrug:

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
It's a good card in general. Total of 8 power and a weather affect is nothing to sneeze at, and all the foglets are bronze.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

botany posted:

so what do you do against yennefer

bdsm dungeon

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Hmm, had three Wild Hunt Riders, one with one front, two with another, two from the deck and one from Eredin and the trio bonus didn't start ticking.

EDIT: Hmmm. Doesn't even start even when I pulled all three out of my deck. Maybe because it's Challenge mode, somehow? It has worked for me before in Casual.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 27, 2017

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
A refund system for changed cards is planned.

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/foru...ge5#post8015890

No word as to when it will go live, whether in the next patch, later in open beta or even for release, but there will be one eventually.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Megazver posted:

Hmm, had three Wild Hunt Riders, one with one front, two with another, two from the deck and one from Eredin and the trio bonus didn't start ticking.

EDIT: Hmmm. Doesn't even start even when I pulled all three out of my deck. Maybe because it's Challenge mode, somehow? It has worked for me before in Casual.

Did you remember to stick them in the same rank?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Reached rank 10 and unlocked ranked play, don't feel much drive to continue, at least not as long as weather is so dominant that RNR is an auto include in every deck.