Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Now I'm wondering if there was always supposed to be a snowy region in OOT in the north-west region but they never put it in. It would explain why there's a whole lot of nothing between the desert and Hyrule Castle in Ocarina lore-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

:allears:

What a game.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Now I'm wondering if there was always supposed to be a snowy region in OOT in the north-west region but they never put it in. It would explain why there's a whole lot of nothing between the desert and Hyrule Castle in Ocarina lore-wise.

Continental Drift on Planet Zelda happens faster than on earth. Hebra and Faron are Snowhead & Southern Swamp that broke off from Termina and attached to Hyrule. Hence the highly uneven terrain.

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
i mark things i dont finish with skulls and stuff and then forget what they are. the game is so huge. so amazing & will never forget

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I'm at 50.2% completion rate, and I really want to finish off upgrading all my armor, but I don't know how much longer I can hunt down Colored Lizalfo Tails, Ice Keese Wings, and bugs. I wanna buy MK8, so I might do that and set this down until DLC.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Is it just me or is the sense of wonder and hugeness of the game really dulled by the fact that no matter what you do or where you go, the most interesting thing you're really going to find out in the world is either yet another shrine or another korok seed?

Like there's nothing at all that makes you think "oh I wonder what the eventuality of this curious thing is going to be" because with like three exceptions, it is always either a shrine or a seed.

I have six hearts and two pieces of my third stamina wheel. Have I just not gotten far enough into the game to find all the really cool stuff?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Have you explored Hyrule Castle, found the memories, and done side quests (especially Tarry Town stuff)?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

GreatGreen posted:

Is it just me or is the sense of wonder and hugeness of the game really dulled by the fact that no matter what you do or where you go, the most interesting thing you're really going to find out in the world is either yet another shrine or another korok seed?

Like there's nothing at all that makes you think "oh I wonder what the eventuality of this curious thing is going to be" because with like three exceptions, it is always either a shrine or a seed.

I have six hearts and two pieces of my third stamina wheel. Have I just not gotten far enough into the game to find all the really cool stuff?

Or towns or NPC's or enemies or quests or the plot of the game?

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

GreatGreen posted:

Kinda agree. There are some really cool locations and hidden things that you probably haven't seen yet, but most of the stuff is just koroks and shrines. I don't mind it, as it's their first game of that type and overworld itself is loving amazing, but I really hope they move away from that as quickly as possible. Koroks are neat at first, but just like 1-ups in Mario, after a certain amount you just wish for more types of collectibles.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

GreatGreen posted:

You are probably going to want more hearts.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

ProjektorBoy posted:

Continental Drift on Planet Zelda happens faster than on earth. Hebra and Faron are Snowhead & Southern Swamp that broke off from Termina and attached to Hyrule. Hence the highly uneven terrain.

Termina isn't another continent, it's a parallel dimension.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

DoctorWhat posted:

Termina isn't another continent, it's a parallel dimension.

The continental drift is REALLY fast.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Ok, I give up. How in the hell do you mount a stag for the shrine quest? I have 3 full stamina wheels and I blew through 18 full restore+overfill stamina meals, and I still got thrown at the end of it. Googling yields nothing beyond just smashing L to soothe, so what am I doing wrong I wonder?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Ok, I give up. How in the hell do you mount a stag for the shrine quest? I have 3 full stamina wheels and I blew through 18 full restore+overfill stamina meals, and I still got thrown at the end of it. Googling yields nothing beyond just smashing L to soothe, so what am I doing wrong I wonder?

I don't know what you're loving up, but if you didn't know, you don't have to calm it in one go. If you get thrown you can sneak after it and try again, and it takes less stamina with later attempts. Same with horses.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Zoran posted:

I don't know what you're loving up, but if you didn't know, you don't have to calm it in one go. If you get thrown you can sneak after it and try again, and it takes less stamina with later attempts. Same with horses.

Deer disappear if you chase them though.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

jokes posted:

Deer disappear if you chase them though.

They do, but not so fast that you can't catch up and try again if you're clever. Sprinting after them scares them away, but if you sneak then they'll usually stop running well before they hit the despawn trigger.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Is there any benefit in spending 3000 rupees to buy the house? I'm quite early in the game, but I sold a load of junk and did anyway. Now I'm just wondering whether it's for anything, or just something to tart about with.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Flint_Paper posted:

Is there any benefit in spending 3000 rupees to buy the house? I'm quite early in the game, but I sold a load of junk and did anyway. Now I'm just wondering whether it's for anything, or just something to tart about with.

Leads to best sidequest in the game do it.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Zoran posted:

But it should work in one go, though, right? I did get one horse early on, and I don't see how I could do anything to mess up "press L a lot" so I am at a loss!

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Someone took the time to drag Paya all the way into Hyrule Castle. It's amazing what determination can make you do.

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

Have you tried turning it off an on again? I'm pretty sure I caught my male deer just fine by slamming L nonstop and having somewhere over two stamina wheels - no food was necessary!
Sounds like you may have encountered a glitched stag?!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

GreatGreen posted:

you're still early. try going up lanayru mountain.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

andipossess posted:

Someone took the time to drag Paya all the way into Hyrule Castle. It's amazing what determination can make you do.

Holy loving poo poo.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

andipossess posted:

But... Why?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I'm shocked nobody's pushed the boulder near the Shrine of Resurrection to the Sanctum in Hyrule Castle yet, considering the devs basically challenged players to do so in one of the talks they gave before the game came out.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

Have you tried turning it off an on again? I'm pretty sure I caught my male deer just fine by slamming L nonstop and having somewhere over two stamina wheels - no food was necessary!
Sounds like you may have encountered a glitched stag?!

No, I hadn't thought of that. I mean, I tried it one night with the 3 meals I had, failed, and then cooked a bunch and left the game and closed the software for the night before trying again yesterday, but I don't think I've ever shut the system down all the way.

I wanted to try it with as many meals as possible before asking for help. :colbert:

I wonder if that's also why it sometimes rains when the weather indicator says it should be clear. I figured I must just be on the fringe of the rainy weather, but it happens quite a bit.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

No, I hadn't thought of that. I mean, I tried it one night with the 3 meals I had, failed, and then cooked a bunch and left the game and closed the software for the night before trying again yesterday, but I don't think I've ever shut the system down all the way.

I wanted to try it with as many meals as possible before asking for help. :colbert:

I wonder if that's also why it sometimes rains when the weather indicator says it should be clear. I figured I must just be on the fringe of the rainy weather, but it happens quite a bit.

The biggest problem I had with the stag is the bastard would hear me and run away just before I could mount him. I ended up gliding onto one and yeah just mash sooth and that should be it. I don't think I even used a wheel of stamina :shrug:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Lol, well I feel like an idiot. It's been so long since I did anything with horses that I was hitting ZL the whole time. :negative:

I discovered my mistake as I had the Switch upright holding the power button.

Then I started it up, floated to that area, landed on a stag and hit L, and lo and behold it took less than one wheel of stamina. I rode him sheepishly over to the platform... where an electric Keese was waiting.

I both hate and love this game sometimes.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Or towns or NPC's or enemies or quests or the plot of the game?

Or just the loving view. It's still amazing even on my way to the castle to just stop and admire how huge the world is.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The best thing Nintendo could do at this point would be to release a creative mode as doc that lets you spawn and place anything anywhere. This game is practically built for that

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The best thing Nintendo could do at this point would be to release a creative mode as doc that lets you spawn and place anything anywhere. This game is practically built for that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phRtaSpdY2M

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I finally got this yesterday, absolutely loving it.

However, my main gripe is with the controls. They feel completely unintuitive to me and after about 8 hours of playtime I'm still pressing wrong buttons constantly. I've never played a game before that's taken me so long to get used to the controls.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Frankston posted:

However, my main gripe is with the controls. They feel completely unintuitive to me and after about 8 hours of playtime I'm still pressing wrong buttons constantly. I've never played a game before that's taken me so long to get used to the controls.

using pro-controller helps, but after 160 hrs i still sometimes open up the wrong menu etc.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Yeah, I'd have killed to be able to reverse A and B.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Then gate the good stuff, never get around to releasing the great stuff, and ban people for being too creative?

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
I'm bad at stealth and I'm getting my rear end kicked at the Yiga clan hideout.

Since this is a fairly open game, are there any ways around this? I've even tried stasis freezing guys but, and this probably has a lot to do with my lack of patience, I keep getting caught.

On a side note, I've come around to BOTW. I'm still not a huge fan of the soundtrack (I think Skyward Sword sort of spoiled me on that), even though I appreciate the bold choice they made for a lot of silence, wandering for long stretches with not a lot beyond piano really doesn't do it for me. I also think playing Nier Automata first (very different game, I know) also sort of spoiled me as I went from an amazing OST to a sort of underwhelming one.

Initially I actually wasn't really in love with the game. I didnt understand how enemies scaled and I had a hard time finding the second great fairy to upgrade my gear. Now that I've found them and my gear's upgraded I'm having a blast.

I haven't had too many issues with it on the WiiU either. I will admit though that I really miss being able to use the second screen for inventory and a map. I get why they removed it, but I wish, if nothing else, they could've kept it so the gamepad screen didnt light-up and dim when playing it on the TV.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

SylvainMustach posted:

Since this is a fairly open game, are there any ways around this? I've even tried stasis freezing guys but, and this probably has a lot to do with my lack of patience, I keep getting caught.

I failed that about 3 times. Throwing bananas in a path to distract guards and climbing walls eventually helped me win it. I also used stasis right before rushing to the next room just in case. A friend said you can hide in barrells by simply picking them up and standing still, it apparently made it super easy in his opinion.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
For the soundtrack, I think it's like Minecraft. It's not a bold choice, it's a logical one. Imagine walking around a world as big as Hyrule in this game, just constantly hearing that Zelda theme for hours. Plus, part of the experience is supposed to be immersive, and walking though the wilderness in real life, this is the type of poo poo youre gonna hear. I like hiking though, so maybe I just enjoy that atmosphere this game is emulating. But there are things like, crickets, you arent gonna find them without hearing and kinda seeing them every now and then. And it's cool to crest a hill and hear all the birds taking off or, animals running.

Frankston posted:

Im with you on that, but I somehow went to sleep after the first day I played it, and the next day I just got it. You pick it up, but I agree, the controls feel almost like upside down, I would feel like jump is B instead of X, attack is A instead of Y, put away is Y instead of B, stuff like that. Also the crouch feature, I kept accidentally crouching when I wanted to do a u-turn or turn quickly especially in combat, so I would make crouch a button not tied to the joystick. The d-pad kinda sucks in a way too and Ill try to hit up to change rune powers, but hit left, or Ill want to hit right and hit up, poo poo like that.

Devoyniche fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 28, 2017

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

SylvainMustach posted:

You did pick up the stealth suit, right? It's the most valuable outfit in the entire game.

Also, drat near any wall (outside of shrines) is climbable. Yiga FoV is limited to a small part of whats directly in front of them. Not so much above them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

If you have any Ancient Arrows, you can delete the guards from existence.