Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The show is already magical realism, it's not a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
So what's the word on Legion?

I just watched the first episode. Most of it was hard to follow, and the ending made it look like it was going to turn into one of the CW super hero shows.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

-Blackadder- posted:

So what's the word on Legion?

I just watched the first episode. Most of it was hard to follow, and the ending made it look like it was going to turn into one of the CW super hero shows.

The opposite in fact, it's carefully crafted, and they nailed every visual thing in it.

It's sort of hard to follow for a few episodes until you get to the meat of it.

Visually alone it's miles above almost any superhero show, but calling it a superhero show is a disservice.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 27, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Legion, after Patriot, is one of the best shows of the year. It's really good. And really fun. It's not like just, "artsy-fartsy good", it's good like "you will be entertained" good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Legion's real cool. Also that latest American Gods was better but definitely a bit too much of a break in the narrative for an 8 episode season.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Legion's definitely not a CW hero show and its barely even a comic book or super hero thing of any recognizable kind (and I like those shows but they're just not remotely the same thing). Its much more of a moody, creepy, psychological and monster horror. It's unnerving and gets under your skin. The beginning is definitely tough to really process but that's by design. Gradually you come to understand the world and really that understanding is the point of the show.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah Legion's real cool. Also that latest American Gods was better but definitely a bit too much of a break in the narrative for an 8 episode season.

Nah, it actually answered a bunch of questions and closed a few narrative loops, actually advancing the plot more than the 2nd and 3rd episodes did...

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snak posted:

Nah, it actually answered a bunch of questions and closed a few narrative loops, actually advancing the plot more than the 2nd and 3rd episodes did...

I have something to add to that in thread...

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Legion is a great show, but very much style over substance. Watch it when you want to be dazzled.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

whowhatwhere posted:

Legion is a great show, but very much style over substance. Watch it when you want to be dazzled.

Style is substance in Legion. TV shows have been, until recently, known more for plotting and characters than anything else. but TV is, like film, a visual medium defined by editing. It's been constrained by budget, and by being seeing as more of a purely commercial product. But now that TV shows can succeed only appealing to a niche audience, the kind of experimentation Legion pulls is enabled. It's beautiful. Hannibal did the same thing. It's a loving miracle Hannibal existed, and for three seasons. Peak TV, my friends.
Noah Hawley and Bryan Fuller also seem to be operating in the same mode of pushing the boundaries of how TV shows operate. both are big fans of subverting expectations, and then making you wonder why those expectations existed in the first place, and why do things even have to be that way. in Legion in particular, Hawley does something totally unexpected with the first few minutes of the last episode, something that turns the situation on its head, and offers the sort of empathy that's usually missing in shows about heroes and villains.

Spatula City fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 27, 2017

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Once Legion settled into its groove it kind of lost everything I thought was interesting and fresh about it. Even when they went to weird places later in the season I didn't end up caring much.

e: also I really need to finish Hannibal, jesus

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Yeah, I was definitely less into Legion in the last couple of episodes, and the last episode was a pretty wet fart. I'll still come back to it next season though, I'm still interested in seeing where it goes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Thirding that sentiment about Legion. It's good but the first half of the season is ridiculously good.

e: on American Gods, last week's episode and the pacing have kind of ruined it for me

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Last week's episode of American Gods was really good, though...

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I think last week's episode was the dividing line for the show. People either loathed it or liked it. I was talking to a friend who thought it "was boring as hell" and I thought that was sort of the point. She was a boring, unlikeable person.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I would think that people who care about the plot and plot advancement would have liked it also, since it "answers a bunch of questions".

As someone who cares less about that, and more just about character stuff, I liked it because it helped give context to the characters. Until that episode, we didn't really know anything about the relationship that Shadow was mourning, and now we do.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I sort of love it when a goon show introduces relationship drama and the expected response happens. Like, it's a funny thing once you start looking for it.

I assume a lot of them will feel better this week when it gets back to some of wide world and they'll just start up the Skylar treatment in the thread (I have not read it and I have no intention to).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snak posted:

Last week's episode of American Gods was really good, though...

Medullah posted:

I think last week's episode was the dividing line for the show. People either loathed it or liked it. I was talking to a friend who thought it "was boring as hell" and I thought that was sort of the point. She was a boring, unlikeable person.

I mean, it wasn't bad, I didn't loathe it - it was good TV, I'm just not really excited like I was after the first couple episodes.

Plus right now the show is in an huge shadow cast by how good things like Handmaid's Tale, Fargo and Better Call Saul are right now. It's not like I'm gonna stop watching, I'm just not really all that excited about it. :shrug:

STAC Goat posted:

I sort of love it when a goon show introduces relationship drama and the expected response happens. Like, it's a funny thing once you start looking for it.

I can only imagine the full Skylar treatment is happening in the thread (I have not read it and I have no intention to).

Please don't lump me in with that crowd, though I've stayed away from the thread since the episode happened so I don't really know if that's happening either.

precision fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 27, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Snak posted:

I would think that people who care about the plot and plot advancement would have liked it also, since it "answers a bunch of questions".

As someone who cares less about that, and more just about character stuff, I liked it because it helped give context to the characters. Until that episode, we didn't really know anything about the relationship that Shadow was mourning, and now we do.

Yeah, I enjoyed it because I had a lot of questions or false assumptions about Shadow and what predated the series and this gave me a lot more important context.

precision posted:

Please don't lump me in with that crowd, though I've stayed away from the thread since the episode happened so I don't really know if that's happening either.

I didn't intend it to be as sweeping a generalization as it came off, so I'm sorry. I was obviously referring more to the "now its ruined" sort of responses rather than the "I didn't love that episode" ones like yours.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 27, 2017

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I never thought this season of Fargo was all that lacking like some other people but wasn't feeling it quite as strongly. That said, I loved the latest episode.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

raditts posted:

Yeah, I was definitely less into Legion in the last couple of episodes, and the last episode was a pretty wet fart. I'll still come back to it next season though, I'm still interested in seeing where it goes.

For all the praise he gets Noah can't write an ending for poo poo. Every season of every show he's ran just kind of dribbles out to a limp conclusion.

Also it doesn't help that it only took Fargo two seasons to become one of the most formulaic shows on TV despite having the freedom to avoid that.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I thought Legion had a great ending. Both seasons of Fargo ended fine as well.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Legion did have a great ending.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The very last episode of Legion was the low point of the show, but the preceding one or two episodes (whichever one had the Bolero scene in it) was the absolute best episode of that season, so I don't agree that it had an overall decline.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I haven't seen any American Gods after e2.

Apparently that was a good choice.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't know how you get that from what people have been saying but whatever

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Josh Lyman posted:

Silliest thing I've seen all week, and I'm on Reddit.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Man, just finished binging S3 of 12 Monkeys. Awesome, awesome, fun ride. Thankful SyFy made the odd decision to marathon it since it set up perfectly for me to binge it instead of watching one week at a time and not getting sucked in or watching it collect for months and losing interest.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Josh Lyman posted:

They have a 7 season plan to cover a medium sized novel that even as your reading it feels stretched very thin. One season alone will cover the main character being deliberately side lined into a supernatural spin-off of Midsummer Murders.

You're best choice is to wait for the entire show to finish then binge it but even then it's only going to realistically get to season three before it's cancelled because the glacial pace makes it bleed viewers and critical reception.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

PriorMarcus posted:

They have a 7 season plan to cover a medium sized novel that even as your reading it feels stretched very thin. One season alone will cover the main character being deliberately side lined into a supernatural spin-off of Midsummer Murders.

You're best choice is to wait for the entire show to finish then binge it but even then it's only going to realistically get to season three before it's cancelled because the glacial pace makes it bleed viewers and critical reception.

This is pretty true, really. It's a good looking show and it's treating the source material well but whoever came up with the idea to stretch it beyond one or maybe two seasons is insane. They can include Anansi Boys if they want but the problem there is that novel isn't similar in tone at all and is only related to American Gods by virtue of taking place in the same general universe.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

PriorMarcus posted:

7 seasons, seriously? Man, that is loving ballsy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think that by the time they get done with the first novel/short stories they're hoping that American Gods 2 comes out. They could also kind of shoehorn Shadow into Anansi Boys' story and use that as well.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I thought it was only 5 seasons, and even then isn't the first season only 8 episodes? There's plenty of diverging they can do if they need to. I'm not going to worry about a showrunner saying how many seasons they want since that poo poo always changes.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Yeah, 5 seasons of 8 episodes is about as much show as three seasons of a usual 12 episode order for a serialized drama.

Hell, Hannibal got 39 episodes which is just one less than that.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

Yeah, 5 seasons of 8 episodes is about as much show as three seasons of a usual 12 episode order for a serialized drama.

No.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The original plan was for this season to be ten episodes long -- they had to cut two episodes of screentime because the show required extensive reshoots for a variety of reasons, (the original crocodile set looked like crap, the sex scene from episode three wasn't working out, and a lot of material was cut from the show, resulting in a version of the show that has the Laura Moon episode as it is now). Starz was perfectly happy with all this, apparently -- I wish I could find the interview I read this in, it was just a few days ago too. I imagine that future seasons will be ten episodes long.

Bare in mind a) I don't think anyone has said that they plan on having a seven year story arc, the most I've heard is five, and b) that those five seasons would include all the American Gods material that currently exists, including Anasazi Boys and the various novellas. I think I read that the intention is to get the story of the original book done in three seasons.

And that includes the (upcoming original material spoiler) apparently much enlarged roles for Laura and Sweeny going forward. I read somewhere that Fuller/Green/Gaiman were planning on sending the two of them off on their own, separate road trip, starting around episode seven.

Again, this is all based on what I've read in various interviews which I can't track down.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Honestly, if they get through the American Gods novel and Anasi Boys, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they found a way to incorporate Neverwhere as well.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Have either of you actually read Anansi Boys? Trying to fit that into the show would be... I don't even know how you'd do it unless the show just concludes the main American Gods conflict and then says "But then THIS STUFF, which by the way is tonally and thematically completely different to everything you just watched, happens"

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

precision posted:

Have either of you actually read Anansi Boys? Trying to fit that into the show would be... I don't even know how you'd do it unless the show just concludes the main American Gods conflict and then says "But then THIS STUFF, which by the way is tonally and thematically completely different to everything you just watched, happens"

What if the reason they made Shadow black was to make it easier for him to also be the protagonist of Anansi Boys :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

American Gods seems to be playing pretty fast and loose with tone and focus so far. It does seem like they're trying to work a lot of stuff in with the American Gods novel as the framework. And that could definitely fall apart sooner than later. But for now I'm enjoying it so I'm not going to worry about what might be 3, 5, or 7 years from now. How many shows last 7 years even if they want to? That seems like a weird way to be looking at a show that is 4 episodes in, unless you're DEEPLY invested in the source material.

Which again, is why I'm avoiding the thread like the plague.

• Locked thread