Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Iirc it's even dumber and more convoluted than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Sky Shadowing posted:

I'm more wondering about beta closing. But I guess that's becoming more commonplace, isn't it? I'm used to beta being "early access", meaning "the full game, just maybe buggy".

I just don't like the perk I paid $20-25 extra dollars for just vanishing. Then the only people playing BattleTech will be the pirates.

They're being pretty up front about the beta being pretty much a tech demo of skirmish mode, not a steam early access game.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
http://community.battletechgame.com/forums/threads/6944/comments/136406

The beta won't have video options.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
I wonder if I can get it running in WINE

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Maybe they should have waited another month?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Unless the game requires you to sign in, you can just copy the game's whole directory and run the executable directly from that directory, regardless of your steam status.

It's gonna call home after every game for you to drop feedback so I suppose there will be servers.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Maybe they should have waited another month?

Well that's only advanced options do we hopefully can change resolution and bare minimum stuff like that.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Considering how a significant portion of bugs in a beta are video card/driver issues, it does not sound like it will be a very useful beta.

So far it sounds like I'm probably going to play a single skirmish map then shelve it until release.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

The beta won't have advanced video options

There's a significant difference there.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

ChickenWing posted:

The beta won't have advanced video options

There's a significant difference there.

Honestly we won't know how good/bad it is until it comes out. But having to warn that video options at all are limited isn't a good sign from a technical "We want to stress test poo poo" standpoint. Even ignoring how incredibly subjective from game to game what gets considered Basic Vs Advanced options.

So while it is nowhere near doom saying status, it's also not something to just brush off as not worth commenting over either for it to be in such a disclaimer state. (Though it is good of them to be up front about the shortcomings)

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Section Z posted:

Honestly we won't know how good/bad it is until it comes out. But having to warn that video options at all are limited isn't a good sign from a technical "We want to stress test poo poo" standpoint. Even ignoring how incredibly subjective from game to game what gets considered Basic Vs Advanced options.

So while it is nowhere near doom saying status, it's also not something to just brush off as not worth commenting over either for it to be in such a disclaimer state. (Though it is good of them to be up front about the shortcomings)

Well, it also depends on what they're specifically testing, doesn't it?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
As bad as it is from a testing perspective, Advanced video options are often one of the last things that get put into a game. Resolution options and, if that, a single quality slider is usually it until release (and for lots of lower budget games, proper video options are post-release stuff). Although I admit a significant portion of that is probably because they're console-first games and consoles don't need those options.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
this is increasingly looking like a sad beta

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Look I'm gonna write some shaders for this game and then leave the company, how could that go wrong?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Skippy McPants posted:

Those were the Unseen, mechs from very early in BT's lifespan when all the designs were stolen from anime. You probably had the Battletech 3rd Edition boxed set, which came with about a dozen plastic minis.

YES, that's it. So cool to see it again, thank you.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Psion posted:

Look I'm gonna write some shaders for this game and then leave the company, how could that go wrong?

This is how Deus Ex:IW and Thief: DS ended up the way they did. They hired a guy to develop a dynamic shadows system and while he did actually do that he also rewrote half the game engine so that it bore no resemblance to what it was based off of. Then the guy got fired and they realized they had less than a year to complete two games on what was essentially a custom fork of Unreal Engine 1.5.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Zaodai posted:

Morgan Kell's power is that he's that one guy everyone in IT has dealt with at some point in their life that can make any piece of technology fail without even trying. He's sitting there trying to get his HUD to display cat meme pictures and it ends up frying every targeting computer in a 5 mile radius.

I got a kick out of how Shadowrun PnP had a character trait called Gremlins that was exactly this.

I'm psyched for this game. I love when I kickstart something and mostly forget about it until the release date comes around. It's like a surprise gift from past me.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Why do some people seem to think beta testing is supposed to be play this finished game early?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I got a kick out of how Shadowrun PnP had a character trait called Gremlins that was exactly this.

I'm psyched for this game. I love when I kickstart something and mostly forget about it until the release date comes around. It's like a surprise gift from past me.

The BattleTech RPG has it too. The little fluff text that comes with is pretty hilarious, along the lines of "Ammo feed malfunction? A Wolfhound doesn't even have that!"

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Rygar201 posted:

Why do some people seem to think beta testing is supposed to be play this finished game early?
The dozens of games that get played to death every year as early access

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Rygar201 posted:

You're dealing with grogs on a dying comedy forum.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
To be fair, a poo poo ton of devs treat Betas that way.

It's worth noting, after every match the game is going to pop up a survey for you. HBS is treating Beta players as actual testers.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I really like that.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Yeah, that's pretty good. I'll give exactly $0.00 for anyone who submits all their feedback in character.

And yeah, beta means about 10 different things to any given developer so what we're seeing is for real beta, not "we're calling our demo a beta" or "perpetually in beta, I mean early access, I mean beta" or whatever. Just remember, Google said gmail was beta for over five years :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 28, 2017

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Psion posted:

Yeah, that's pretty good. I'll give exactly $0.00 for anyone who submits all their feedback in character.

And yeah, beta means about 10 different things to any given developer so what we're seeing is for real beta, not "we're calling our demo a beta" or "perpetually in beta, I mean early access, I mean beta" or whatever. Just remember, Google said gmail was beta for over five years :v:

gently caress, Google says GoogleMaps on my phone is still in beta NOW, and there are several ridesharing corporations that are built on it!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The term "Beta" really has been kind of mangled beyond belief these days, yeah. Though at least I thought it was clear "Skirmish mode only" was pretty distinct from testing the full game.

Hopefully however things shake out I can move on to being terrible at multiplayer rather than mediocre at solo skirmish sooner rather than later.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Are they still aiming for the original release date of the full game?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Raged posted:

Are they still aiming for the original release date of the full game?

Wasn't that months ago?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Right now it's tentatively set for "late summer/early fall"

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Wasn't that months ago?

Estimated delivery was May 2017. Getting the skirmish beta out by June 1 seems like it's not too much slippage.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My personal bet is the game will still make a 2017 delivery, but probably around fall or winter.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Q_res posted:

Right now it's tentatively set for "late summer/early fall"
At this rate I dont see it coming out this year. There have already been a number of setbacks and delays. A "beta" that is only actually a skirmish part of the game, with few other tools, on June 1, is a bad sign for time. I'm not trying to be a naysayer, but you've gotta be realistic.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

At this rate I dont see it coming out this year. There have already been a number of setbacks and delays. A "beta" that is only actually a skirmish part of the game, with few other tools, on June 1, is a bad sign for time. I'm not trying to be a naysayer, but you've gotta be realistic.

...did they ever say the beta would be anything different? Other than having multiplayer, that is.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Skirmish only was always the plan for the Backer Beta, all the way back to 2015 during the initial Kickstarter campaign. So treating it like some sort of bad sign is really weird. I mean, I doubt they'll actually hit "late summer/early fall" but I think it's pretty pessimistic to think they can't get this game out within the next 6 months.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

7 Months would put them around a Chrismas release, which seems fair-ish.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

BenRGamer posted:

...did they ever say the beta would be anything different? Other than having multiplayer, that is.
No and I never said that they said otherwise...(see my response to Qres to continue this thought)

Q_res posted:

Skirmish only was always the plan for the Backer Beta, all the way back to 2015 during the initial Kickstarter campaign. So treating it like some sort of bad sign is really weird. I mean, I doubt they'll actually hit "late summer/early fall" but I think it's pretty pessimistic to think they can't get this game out within the next 6 months.
I'm just saying that:
The final product is going to have a multiplayer skirmish, single player skirmish, single player linear campaign, single player non-linear contract taking campaign.

The beta for the skirmish is out on June 1, which is a delayed date. This delayed beta release for a small portion of what the final product will include...had features stripped at the last minute

Therefore I would not get my hopes up for a release in the next 6 months.

Disclaimer before the pitchforks come out: I'm not an authority on the subject and could be VERY wrong. I may just have bad opinions.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 28, 2017

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
The features it had stripped are exclusive the part of the game that isn't the focus though. The primary part of Battletech - the campaign and combat are both still in the beta. What got cut was multiplayer - that doesn't impact the campaign.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

DatonKallandor posted:

The features it had stripped are exclusive the part of the game that isn't the focus though. The primary part of Battletech - the campaign and combat are both still in the beta. What got cut was multiplayer - that doesn't impact the campaign.
The Beta is Skirmish only - no campaign. We have no idea of the status of the campaign (I don't think?).

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

This is a lot of panicking over 'they aren't confident they can get the networking good to go right now'.

That's engine work, the campaign is 2nd layer stuff, work-schedule wise they shouldn't be too interdependent. There's no reason to believe more than a few months of delay based on unexpected engine work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I'm the one who was posting about it on this page and I'm not panicking, just posting my opinion on a gay dying comedy forum and people seem to be reacting really strongly and/or misinterpreting what I am saying :confused:

Me calmly stating my opinion that I don't expect the game this year /= "Oh gently caress oh gently caress oh gently caress everything is ruined and the sky is falling".