Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Paul MaudDib posted:

The 4C HEDT chips are a stupid idea, almost everyone would definitely go 6C on consumer/HEDT or 4C on consumer, rather than pay up for an X299 mobo and put a dinky 4C chip in it.

Yeah, this struck me immediately looking at the new lineup. No one with half a brain cell doing parts-picking would go that route, especially since, as far as I can tell, the X299 motherboards don't really add anything interesting to the mix that the Z270's don't already have.

So the only conclusion I can draw is that those are aimed at pre-builts, so that a company can offer a "HEDT" box for cheap to people who don't really know any better or are constrained by specific purchasing requirements or what have you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I also think Intel needs to do away with the 28-lane limit on the 6C and 8C chips. 44 lanes is a selling point that's actually relevant to potential Ryzen 7 customers - the ability to do x16x16-lane SLI/CF. The performance hit of x8x8 isn't too terrible, but if you're dropping the cash for a SLI rig why would you want to settle for x8x8?

I think Threadripper is probably going to be disappointing in gaming (particularly the cheaper SKUs) again due to the fact that it's basically a multi-socket processor in a single-package format, so it's not a good answer here. Consumer Ryzen only has 16 lanes in itself so you're down to x8x8 and relying on the PCH for anything else.

Intel's 6C/8T HEDT chips are the obvious sweet spot for high-end gamers, but most of those people aren't looking for a $1700 processor, they just want something a little beefier than a 7700K. And the people who are buying 10C processors don't really care about 6C and 8C anyway. It makes no sense to me to be doubling down on this particular approach to market segmentation.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 26, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm still undecided between the camps. Obviously, we need to wait for release silicon and those annoying reviewers putting them through their paces, uncovering potential teething issues. Either way, it's between high IPC machine and mother of all multitasking. Sticking point would be what Intel decides the 8-core one is supposed to cost. Given they're going with 28-lanes, you'd think it'll drop in price a lot compared to the Broadwell-E variant.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Pretty sure x264 and x265 already use AVX2, AVX512 shouldn't be too much of a problem.
That's only a small fraction of the related category of apps.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I think Threadripper is probably going to be disappointing in gaming (particularly the cheaper SKUs) again due to the fact that it's basically a multi-socket processor in a single-package format, so it's not a good answer here.
The current Ryzen's seem to do OK with the current interconnect, which runs just at RAM speeds. If the EMIB in the Naples version is good enough, performance would probably be equivalent to the non-ripping Ryzens.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Combat Pretzel posted:

The current Ryzen's seem to do OK with the current interconnect, which runs just at RAM speeds. If the EMIB in the Naples version is good enough, performance would probably be equivalent to the non-ripping Ryzens.

It's supposed to be a different interconnect, not the same as the inter-CCX interconnect or what would be used inside an APU.

We'll see I guess, games usually run notoriously poorly on multi-socket systems and Threadripper is basically multi-socket-on-a-package. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if it's locked.

Just gotta wait for Computex I guess. Reviews should follow not too long after that.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It does bum me out that they're not making a 44 lane version of the eight core Sky-X. A 7850X with 8C/16T and 44 lanes would round out their lineup pretty nicely, and I'd be comfortable paying ~$649 for it. As it stands, I'm pretty sure their MSRP for the 7900X will be $899-999, with the 7920X probably tipping the scales at $1299-1399. The lack of "50" chips over past years makes me think they're probably keeping those in reserve.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

DrDork posted:

Yeah, this struck me immediately looking at the new lineup. No one with half a brain cell doing parts-picking would go that route, especially since, as far as I can tell, the X299 motherboards don't really add anything interesting to the mix that the Z270's don't already have.

So the only conclusion I can draw is that those are aimed at pre-builts, so that a company can offer a "HEDT" box for cheap to people who don't really know any better or are constrained by specific purchasing requirements or what have you.

I don't even see any hard confirm of ECC support, it must be for that "we have a use it or lose it budget for asset refreshes" markets.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Oh hey Intel actually posted an updated firmware yesterday for my Q77 board with the ME exploit. :) But the link just goes to a 404. :(

eames
May 9, 2009

:stare:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
Hey lets put rgb in EVERYTHING.....but give everything a orange accent around everything loving everything just to gently caress up your build

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

LEDs in the RAM slots? The gently caress?

Also, who's Aorus?! --edit: Gigabyte.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 27, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

It gets worse

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
It's hard for me to believe that windowed cases are still a thing, but it looks like they're bigger than ever?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I have the Corsair 550D, which is a pretty nice case. Good venting with 200mm fans, but this goddamn window, and the solid panel isn't available as spare part to replace the drat window.

I was looking for the NZXT S340 for the next large update, because it looks sleeker (no more drive-bays, my BD-R has gotten rusty anyway). But same story, can't get it windowless.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

It's hard for me to believe that windowed cases are still a thing, but it looks like they're bigger than ever?

I don't like normal windowed cases but the tempered glass side ones are pretty slick looking imo. Provides good sound isolation too I have heard.

eames
May 9, 2009

It is surprisingly hard to find a good case that offers a no-window option. I personally would like to buy a Phantex Enthoo Evolv ATX without a window but they don't even offer a solid side panel as a replacement part. :shrug:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Ehhh, I like windows, if nothing else it encourages me to keep things dust free inside.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

They're the default for high-end cases now. I bought a beQuiet Dark Base 900 non-Pro because the Pro version only comes with a windowed panel, and I for one have better things to do than stare at an infernal array of diodes.

I miss the days when high-end cases were synonymous with black, angular, and closed off.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
But how else are you gonna let everyone know you bought a Chevy style 1080Ti?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

ufarn posted:

I miss the days when high-end cases were synonymous with black, angular, and closed off.

I'd like something like an original lian li pc60 without the drive cutouts. Just a medium sized monolithic tower.

Ps: I'm still working on an op for a general cpu and Platfrom thread. I'm sorry for the delay!

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

I bought a Corsair 270R when I built my new system. Newegg put the windowed version on sale, but only the windowed version, so getting it without the window would have cost me like $25.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I backordered a Thermaltake Suppressor F31 windowless from Amazon literally two months ago and my backorder has already been pushed back once to June. At this point it's out of stock everywhere and I'm wondering if it's actually discontinued.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I also found out, too late, that the Pro version of my case has a dedicated motherboard fan controller header, because cases are a loving mess who care more about pandering to the RGB crowd than boring people like me who just want something quiet and subtle.

Why would they not just include that in the non-Pro version.

At least some case makers are getting a clue about straightforward fan filters.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I meant that I'm more amazed that mobo manufacturers are catering to this sort of thing.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

I meant that I'm more amazed that mobo manufacturers are catering to this sort of thing.

I don't get it either personally. Are 14-year-olds with terrible taste really such a huge portion of the market, especially now that the PC community is shifting towards expensive higher-end systems that mom won't let you use her credit card for?

The whole windowed-case-and-LEDs-everywhere is loving played out at this point. I like having the ability to peek inside and visually verify that my AIO isn't leaking everywhere, but that's about it. Acrylic scratches, and everything smudges.

In retrospect we look back at the era of CGI warrior women CGI'd onto GPUs and shake our heads, and I feel like RGB everything is going to end up a lot the same way. There's a rave going on inside your case, congratulations, you watch it for five minutes and you're done.

The only RGB anything that seems remotely appealing to me is RGB backlights on WSAD keys because finding the home-row bumps when you're drinking and gaming sometimes leads to tragic mistakes.

(old man yells at cloud)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 27, 2017

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
I wonder if the bling-fest is more accepted/popular in other countries, like Korea? Might explain some of it, especially from manufacturers with strong Asian or Euro presences.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

DrDork posted:

I wonder if the bling-fest is more accepted/popular in other countries, like Korea? Might explain some of it, especially from manufacturers with strong Asian or Euro presences.
it is

the gaudiest poo poo sells more and it is amazing :allears:

eames
May 9, 2009

DrDork posted:

Yeah that's the only explanation. Same deal with monitors, keyboards, mice... any gaming related computer component really. I simply refuse to buy this blingy stuff figuring that it'll eventually stop because there can't be that many teenagers with the disposable income for these higher end parts. It'd make sense to me if the low end budget parts had (dirt cheap) colorful LEDs and the higher end stuff looked more subdued, like Asus' old workstation mainboards, but it's the other way around. :psyduck:

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
In the US market, maybe it's a nostalgia thing. Like, the kids who were into light-up case fans 15 years ago have jobs and a little money now, and they want a laser show inside their PC.

Personally, one giant purple PC was enough for me. Now my ideal PC is as close to silent and invisible as possible.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Toast Museum posted:

Now my ideal PC is as close to silent and invisible as possible.

This is why I water cool everything, even when I don't really have to.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

DrDork posted:

This is why I water cool everything, even when I don't really have to.

I'm still not quite on board with watercooling. I don't like hinging everything on a pump motor. Fortunately they keep making heatsinks the size of babies' heads and fan tech keeps getting quieter.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm still not quite on board with watercooling. I don't like hinging everything on a pump motor. Fortunately they keep making heatsinks the size of babies' heads and fan tech keeps getting quieter.

I feel the same way. I have seen countless anecdotes of pump failure, and even an image depicting a skip FULL of failed Corsair AIOs.
On good ol' regular heatsinks, you can cheaply and easily replace fans at any time, and any possible failure doesn't include liquid in your machine. They also have the possibility of being quieter, because the fans don't need to spin at all at idle, but a pump should always be running.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 27, 2017

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe people have different tastes from your own :shrug:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Sometimes you get bubble noises and that's when the case window is nice, as you dive to see whether your rig is being sluiced with conductive and corrosive liquid (to be fair: LEDs could come in handy here, no more fumbling for the flashlight!)

At this point I wish I could take my Cooler Master Nepton 140XL off my CPU, use a 212 Evo or something, and put the AIO on my GTX 1080 instead but the coldplate isn't the right type for the G10 brackets. :smith:

Say what you want though, it keeps my 5820K ice cold under load.

Custom loops are really nice in ultra-dense builds like the RVZ01 or Bitfenix Prodigy M (SLI) if you want to go to the trouble. Or bite the bullet and shell out $300 for a DAN SFX-A4 and you can use air (seriously where are the lovely $50 chinese knockoffs?)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 27, 2017

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
The NZXT H440 makes the best use of case lighting ever: A white LED activated by a button on the back that lights up the rear IO panel.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The NZXT H440 makes the best use of case lighting ever: A white LED activated by a button on the back that lights up the rear IO panel.

That's a great feature, I think the trashcan mac pro had something similar.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Some Gigabyte mobos have an LED backlight on the rear IO shield that you can toggle via BIOS or windows application. I like that plus the USB "Q-flash" capability for the UEFI (very useful if you need to flash a BIOS to get microcode for your processor, like with Z87 or X99).

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 28, 2017

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

eames posted:

Yeah that's the only explanation. Same deal with monitors, keyboards, mice... any gaming related computer component really. I simply refuse to buy this blingy stuff figuring that it'll eventually stop because there can't be that many teenagers with the disposable income for these higher end parts. It'd make sense to me if the low end budget parts had (dirt cheap) colorful LEDs and the higher end stuff looked more subdued, like Asus' old workstation mainboards, but it's the other way around. :psyduck:

I thought that the 16:9 aspect ratio fad (hell, anything but the trusty 4:3) would just simply go away when normal people (you know, those who actually use computers to program stuff) would just simply start realize how lovely they are and stop buying them. That was more than 10 years ago. I was wrong, they never realized how lovely they are, and they even went now and made 21:9 monsters. And they upped the price to the relatively acceptable 16:10 monitor to astronomic levels, if you can even find any.

LEDs on the motherboard? gently caress that, nobody looks there. 16:9 on the monitor? Now I'm pissed.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
On the other hand, triple-monitor 27" surround setups :shrug:

now that 4K 60 Hz gameplay is plausible, with a 1080 Ti you should pretty much be able to keep a triple-monitor 1440p setup above like 45 fps (which is Gsync territory). With SLI 1080 Tis it would be very decent, and the price point will only go down next generation. And now you have a 165 Hz refresh rate, if you can drive it.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:44 on May 28, 2017

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

On the other hand, triple-monitor 27" surround setups :shrug:

now that 4K 60 Hz gameplay is plausible, you should pretty much be able to keep a triple-monitor 1440p setup above like 45 fps (which is Gsync territory). Single or dual 1180 Tis will probably do a good job. And now you have a 165 Hz refresh rate, if you can drive it.

The only resolution where 16:9 would very remotely tolerable would be 4k (or the bastardization of it that it is). 1440 is well below that barrier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I want √2:1 monitors for nice clean multi-monitor scaling.