Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Did you remember to stick them in the same rank?

Oh, right.

Y'know, this strikes me as a bit too much. It's already pretty hard to get all three of them out there at the same time, without also lining them up for annihilation. I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
I've been Avallach'd to death. Still, the temerian footsoldier / machine deck performed admirably. Ciri-Dash is a perfect counter if you can get her out the first round, giving you 9-12-15 points thanks to discard shenanigans.

I like my makeshift deck a lot.
Foltest (maybe a bit too strong?)
The dandelion-footsoldiers+1blue stripe commando is a brutal deck thinner and kaedweni siege support-ballistas murderize crowds.
Stennis and siege towes for when there aren't enough dudes to hit.
Just two reaver scouts because they are usually enough to get what I need.
Two reinforced trebuchets to draw out counters.

As golds I have dandelion, ciri dash, shani and royal decree.
Royal decree is super useful to fish out dandelion if I need the temerian meat wall up ASAP or for getting back ciri later. Shani is useful for getting back a siege support for the last round or in case of a first round wipe.

Against high value targets I quite like Dimeritium bomb and Margarita.

Tafferling fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 27, 2017

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Megazver posted:

Oh, right.

Y'know, this strikes me as a bit too much. It's already pretty hard to get all three of them out there at the same time, without also lining them up for annihilation. I dunno.

That's why I don't run Wild Hunt Cav right now. :v:

Their boost mechanic makes them vulnerable to, oh, say, weather, and their resilience mechanic is just slightly too conditional for my personal comfort.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

GreyjoyBastard posted:

That's why I don't run Wild Hunt Cav right now. :v:

Their boost mechanic makes them vulnerable to, oh, say, weather, and their resilience mechanic is just slightly too conditional for my personal comfort.

I've found them a great target for Quen, and using the Nekker Warrior to make extras for the Navigator to pull. Once two line up they tend to get murdered, but when you've three or five more in the deck and Eredin can make another they Trio pretty often.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Playing the SMork deck is great. It's probably not top tier but i win 80% of my games at 1500 and at least 90% in unranked.

I just had a game against a Queensguard deck. First round he Bran'd all 3 of them, then Draig Bon-Dhu'd them twice with decoy. I played a Savage Bear and he Blackhanded it to buff the Queensguard even further. I ressed it then started shieldsmithing Morkvarg. I then played Ciri while i was behind and he took the bait and passed so i played a couple more cards to win the first round.

Turn 1 of round 2 i ressed the bear again and he couldn't do poo poo about it. He tried using Operator on his Shieldmaiden so he had 2 in hand, then sacrificing one to do damage to the bear so he could get the chain going, but i just used a mushroom to heal it back to full and he ended up having to shoot his operator to get them all out. He endedu p with 3 cards in hand, which i assume were is medics, and forfeited.

The Savage Bear does a lot of work in the right matchups. Against Nilfgaard it denies their medics, agaisnt Skellige it denies their medics which often completely cripples them, against monsters it gets a poo poo load of value against consume decks and shits all over harpies. I love watching them play a harpy, lose all the eggs and have the harpies that spawn take 2 damage, then watching the Elder God dejectedly eat a bunch of 2 strength crap.

Then you have the mushrooms. These things are crazy. You can use them to reset damage that your minions take (perfect to use at the end of a round of Morkvarg sitting in a frost). On top of that it can be used to reset enemy buffed units. It's great against all of Nilfgaard's bullshit like the guy who gets buffed by spies, the spotter who gets buffed by reveal and that card that pulls a card from the deck with +10. Even more hilarious is using it on Ekimmara, Vran Warriors and Katakan. Watching them chain Ekimarra then dropping a mushroom to banish it never gets old.

Hardest deck to go against are the dwarf decks and the weather Monsters. Weather monsters i can do ok against it's just hard to come out ahead on value seeing how you have to sacrifice a card to get rid of weather. The Dwarves are really hard though because they can spread their buffs out and move out of weather or stack up to tank RNR.

For golds i am running Ciri, Triss, RNR and Royal Decree because i don't have anything else. I'm not sure what would be good though.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
So people that understand Nilfgaard Control decks, this is my current deck.

I'm a F2P so I'm looking for some guidance on what cards I should prioritize, scraps are hard to come by.
So far I'm playing casual and have been winning 80% +-, but I'm afraid of getting stomped on ranked.

Please let me observe a master in action.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I feel like Gwent could be a little more generous considering its a beta. Weather Monster is going to be the only deck I'm able to play for a while, and that will get boring. Kegs seem comparatively expense compared to Hearthstone, especially considering that there is no starter bundle.

Saying that it is a nice change of pace compared to other card games. The psychology around the 3 round games is fun.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

CJ posted:

The Savage Bear does a lot of work in the right matchups. Against Nilfgaard it denies their medics, agaisnt Skellige it denies their medics which often completely cripples them, against monsters it gets a poo poo load of value against consume decks and shits all over harpies. I love watching them play a harpy, lose all the eggs and have the harpies that spawn take 2 damage, then watching the Elder God dejectedly eat a bunch of 2 strength crap.

Yeah the bear has been MVP of a couple games already. Just wrecked a queensguard deck with it. He killed my bear twice but my entire hand in the final round was resurrection cards.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The bear used to be a complete rear end in a top hat because he'd attack your cards too. It had some synergy with Warcry or whatever it was, but I'm glad that's been changed. I think it may be a little too good now that it doesn't do that though, that said, it's only strength 4 so it's not like it's hard to remove.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Skimming monster decks I noticed that a (fellow) weather one was running Ceraeno Harpies. You know, the ones that spawn eggs. "Huh," says I, "guess I'll try it out. I've already got a 3-set from kegs."

:allears:

Thirteen strength, sorta, on a bronze. Sure, it's kinda squishy strength, but it can be split up between rounds.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 27, 2017

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Yeah, the third Dagon challenge was a bitch.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Skimming monster decks I noticed that a (fellow) weather one was running Ceraeno Harpies. You know, the ones that spawn eggs. "Huh," says I, "guess I'll try it out. I've already got a 3-set from kegs."

:allears:

Thirteen strength, sorta, on a bronze. Sure, it's kinda squishy strength, but it can be split up between rounds.
Most broken bronzes right now:

1.) Imperial Golem
2.) Brokvar Hunter
3.) Celaeno Harpy

They're all certainly going to get nerfed at some point, but I do think that Celaeno is actually a fun card. Maybe it can be balanced by just reducing the str of the main body.

Golem will certainly at least get to set 2, although the mechanic is fundamentally OP and it would be played if it were 0 str.

Hunter just needs to be set to boost instead of strengthen and it's basically ok.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 27, 2017

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Megazver posted:

Yeah, the third Dagon challenge was a bitch.

Yeah. I've seen people say that if you beat that you're ready for any weather monster deck but, personally, I feel that I only managed to pass that because the AI always did the same thing. So if you were playing to lose first round, it still spammed all of its weather attacks.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Flayer posted:

I feel like Gwent could be a little more generous considering its a beta. Weather Monster is going to be the only deck I'm able to play for a while, and that will get boring. Kegs seem comparatively expense compared to Hearthstone, especially considering that there is no starter bundle.

Saying that it is a nice change of pace compared to other card games. The psychology around the 3 round games is fun.

You can get two packs and a bit a day in Gwent pretty easily, or one and a bit completely trivially.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I do think the game could give out ~20 packs to new players on top of the basic cards a.) because the starter cards are a little thin and b.) it would allow for more variation of the cards new players would see.

If there's a problem with their system it's that meteorite dust is too cheap and the game will have trouble monetizing its super whales. There are crazy people in HS and Shadowverse who spend >$10,000 to bling out as much as they can (in the case of SV, it is almost impossible to have everything premium for any sum) and for 1k-2k you'll have every card in gwent in premium. This is totally irrelevant to anyone playing the game ofc.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

No Wave posted:

I do think the game could give out ~20 packs to new players on top of the basic cards a.) because the starter cards are a little thin and b.) it would allow for more variation of the cards new players would see.

I think that's going to be what the singleplayer campaign is for.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

IIRC the challenges give near 10 kegs already, and they're very manageable with the starter decks.

Also the starter decks are reasonably competitive compared to what you start with in Hearthstone.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Just started playing this and it's a lot of fun so far. I didn't see it in the OP unless I'm just blind - is there any word on how long the open beta will be, and is anything going to carry over once the game goes live?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I think the implication was that this is basically a soft launch and there will be no more wipes. I don't know if they outright stated this.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

No Wave posted:

If there's a problem with their system it's that meteorite dust is too cheap and the game will have trouble monetizing its super whales. There are crazy people in HS and Shadowverse who spend >$10,000 to bling out as much as they can (in the case of SV, it is almost impossible to have everything premium for any sum) and for 1k-2k you'll have every card in gwent in premium. This is totally irrelevant to anyone playing the game ofc.

I think the game may be some kind of a loss leader or sorts, to attract more people to gog galaxy. Like they'll make a ton of money b/c card game are cheap as poo poo to produce, but I think the intent is to try and get that core audience on gog galaxy so they can actually use it for other things and go "oh hey there's people using our product sell games on gog"

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDflJWDoAa4

a great shitpost

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Hey how exactly does Ermion work? I play him and it asks me to choose two cards; am I choosing the cards I am discarding? But then it shows me cards that are not in my deck--if I choose those, am I choosing not to bring those into the deck?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Hey how exactly does Ermion work? I play him and it asks me to choose two cards; am I choosing the cards I am discarding? But then it shows me cards that are not in my deck--if I choose those, am I choosing not to bring those into the deck?
Did someone play a 10 str silver Nilfgaard card that looks like a golem against you in that game?

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

Meallan posted:

So people that understand Nilfgaard Control decks, this is my current deck.

I'm a F2P so I'm looking for some guidance on what cards I should prioritize, scraps are hard to come by.
So far I'm playing casual and have been winning 80% +-, but I'm afraid of getting stomped on ranked.

Please let me observe a master in action.

By no means an expert, but with Nilfgaard you won't go wrong with Tibor or Vilgafortz for gold slots. As for silvers Guardian and Auckes would be good to have, but after that it comes down to personal taste since silvers seem to be the most competitive slot in any deck - Myrtabrekke was very strong during CB in combination with rot tossers.

Though for sure get yourself some imperial golems, the tempo swing in combination Cahir is very strong plus they help with thinning. Also a few emissaries to help with cycle and thinning as well - just be careful playing those too early.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Imperial Golems are most definitely the strongest bronze unit in Nilfgaard. Almost certainly gonna get changed too, but they are only bronze so it's no big deal. Add 9 strength to the board in 3 different units and thinning out your deck by 3 is great. Especially with John Calveit. Your first or second turn basically turns into a 14-23 point play. Hitting that The Guardian you were looking for off him feels so good.

Which is another great addition to add to your deck. The Guardian is a big chunk of strength, but basically blanks out your opponents next draws, which is kind of the point of a control deck anyway.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Asehujiko posted:

Reached rank 10 and unlocked ranked play, don't feel much drive to continue, at least not as long as weather is so dominant that RNR is an auto include in every deck.

I was angry as gently caress about weather too, but after playing more I think we're overestimating the effect of RNR on the game here. And Weather Monsters isn't top tier at all, it's just more frequent at low ranks. I'm rank 9 and I'm not seeing it as often, now it's usually either Spy Nilfgaard, Buff Skellige, Consume Monsters, Blue Stripes NR and a bunch of weird Sco'iatael decks. That said, I am playing Weather Monsters, but with a few techs to counter Nilfgaard and Skellige decks that put a bunch of big boys on the board.

RNR is probably still a bit too strong but we're in the first days of the open and they have showed fantastic reaction times so far, so if that becomes a problem I'm confident we'll see nerfs/counters very soon.

EDIT: this game is so much better than HS in terms of competitive viability, pure fun, and business models it's not even funny. It also looks prettier (and more mature) except for some menus, but those will certainly be changed before release.

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 27, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Kawabata posted:

I was angry as gently caress about weather too, but after playing more I think we're overestimating the effect of RNR on the game here. And Weather Monsters isn't top tier at all, it's just more frequent at low ranks. I'm rank 9 and I'm not seeing it as often, now it's usually either Spy Nilfgaard, Buff Skellige, Consume Monsters, Blue Stripes NR and a bunch of weird Sco'iatael decks. That said, I am playing Weather Monsters, but with a few techs to counter Nilfgaard and Skellige decks that put a bunch of big boys on the board.

RNR is probably still a bit too strong but we're in the first days of the open and they have showed fantastic reaction times so far, so if that becomes a problem I'm confident we'll see nerfs/counters very soon.

All the rnr/drought havers are in ranked, dont worry. It hasnt gone anywhere.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I think i'm something like 17 wins and 3 losses in casual play with a slightly modified monster starter and not really knowing anything about the game from starting a few days ago.

I was in the closed beta, but I only played the tutorials and kinda forgot about the game, so I have nothing to really build decks from, but monsters w/ frost is definitely OP even without the better golds and crones set.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Minrad posted:

All the rnr/drought havers are in ranked, dont worry. It hasnt gone anywhere.

I'm rank 9, not level 9. Yes I'm seeing RNR and droughts from time to time but they aren't ruining my experience at all. I find Skellige is much more aggravating against my deck but still not Hearthstone unfair.

That said I've been blessed by lady luck and got Ciri, Caranthir and Ge'els in the first 20 or so kegs so I'm basically climbing with a legit decent Weather deck, only missing the Witches and Caretaker. I only lost once from 6 to 9.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Is the mushroom spell broken? Mordraena, I think it's spelled. I've tried resetting and strenghening my guys, or weakening an enemy, but the reset part is the only part that happens.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

ShowTime posted:

Imperial Golems are most definitely the strongest bronze unit in Nilfgaard. Almost certainly gonna get changed too, but they are only bronze so it's no big deal. Add 9 strength to the board in 3 different units and thinning out your deck by 3 is great. Especially with John Calveit. Your first or second turn basically turns into a 14-23 point play. Hitting that The Guardian you were looking for off him feels so good.

Which is another great addition to add to your deck. The Guardian is a big chunk of strength, but basically blanks out your opponents next draws, which is kind of the point of a control deck anyway.

Pretty much how I feel every game where ST and Nilf don't mess up the mulligan and go first

https://clips.twitch.tv/FurtiveBreakableAnteaterThunBeast

Kawabata posted:

I'm rank 9, not level 9. Yes I'm seeing RNR and droughts from time to time but they aren't ruining my experience at all. I find Skellige is much more aggravating against my deck but still not Hearthstone unfair.

That said I've been blessed by lady luck and got Ciri, Caranthir and Ge'els in the first 20 or so kegs so I'm basically climbing with a legit decent Weather deck, only missing the Witches and Caretaker. I only lost once from 6 to 9.

Ah. My experience is still seeing it almost every game, but it can depend on what deck you yourself are playing on if they'll actually play it or not, since people are better at playing and playing around rnr/drought. People will sit on RNR for a long time if I get a big morkvarg on the board, since they know it'll just get decoyed and I'm not gonna fill the other rows if I can't help it.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Minrad posted:

Ah. My experience is still seeing it almost every game, but it can depend on what deck you yourself are playing on if they'll actually play it or not, since people are better at playing and playing around rnr/drought. People will sit on RNR for a long time if I get a big morkvarg on the board, since they know it'll just get decoyed and I'm not gonna fill the other rows if I can't help it.

Yeah, about that: I think Morkvarg is the most unfair card in the game right now, and probably the strongest value wise.

He doesn't even have a real counter.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Kawabata posted:

Yeah, about that: I think Morkvarg is the most unfair card in the game right now, and probably the strongest value wise.

Letho :awesome:

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Kawabata posted:

It's time for Letho to shine again.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

The thing with Morkvarg, and the NG/ST deploy swings, is that you have to be willing to play some card advantage down now. There's no more last turn d-bomb/weather/etc to blow you out so card advantage isn't as amazing as it was in CB.

I got dunked by a Monster playing willing to play ... it was 3 CA down by baiting me to pass while I was 20 str up in round 1, I think? Then he locks Morkvarg, kills it, and steals it with Caretaker to win round 1, then ended up winning round 2 as well when I failed to bounce back after blowing too many buffs on Morkvarg in round 1.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Electronico6 posted:

It's time for Letho to shine again.

Oh that's right he does have a counter.

But it's a pretty hard tech and a faction golden that seems to be hard to put into any of the established Nilfgaard decks. Also, I definitely haven't had enough experience playing Nilfgaard to know if he's even decent in non-Skellige matchups.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

He also crushes Queensguard, which otherwise techs itself vico medics, so he's decent for that.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Minrad posted:

The thing with Morkvarg, and the NG/ST deploy swings, is that you have to be willing to play some card advantage down now. There's no more last turn d-bomb/weather/etc to blow you out so card advantage isn't as amazing as it was in CB.

I got dunked by a Monster playing willing to play ... it was 3 CA down by baiting me to pass while I was 20 str up in round 1, I think? Then he locks Morkvarg, kills it, and steals it with Caretaker to win round 1, then ended up winning round 2 as well when I failed to bounce back after blowing too many buffs on Morkvarg in round 1.

Yes but how many cards you have to invest to kill the thing is also the issue. Even locking and killing is usually wrong because he will be 100% resurrected.

Caretaker is amazing though.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

I feel like Morkvarg should just be golden. Maybe make Cerys silver to compensate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Some guy Lethod my Morkvarg for the first time a few minutes ago but then Letho got all his strength so he had to play like 3 extra cards to catch up to me and i ended up winning anyway.