Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

"The American people don't know what's best for them.... I do."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW8Zyt8SF_U

House of Cards is a quaint American political drama about an unrepentantly evil politician who tries to win the 2016 U.S. Presidential Election by playing on people's fears and promising a war against radical terrorism. It is a Netflix adaptation of a BBC miniseries of the same name.

Last season, Frank Underwood (Kevin Spacey) somehow convinced the Democratic Party to nominate him and his wife Claire (Robin Wright), despite the former being a KKK-tied Southerner who tried to abolish all welfare and the latter almost causing multiple international incidents. Frank is opposed in this effort by a slightly more competent Marco Rubio (Joel Kinnaman) and Washington Post reporter Tom Hammerschmidt (Boris McGiver). Occasionally, Frank and Claire murder people and/or monologue about power. When he isn't aiding Frank, White House Chief of Staff Doug Stamper (Michael Kelly) goes around killing terminally ill patients and dating their widows.

The new season premieres 30 May 2017.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I would vote for Underwood 2036 but luckily for me voting is abolished :getin:

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002
I'm assuming this isn't the final season, right? Because it seems like this show could be wrapped up satisfactorily in 1-2 seasons.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Anonymous John posted:

I'm assuming this isn't the final season, right? Because it seems like this show could be wrapped up satisfactorily in 1-2 seasons.

I haven't seen anything along those lines but I am not sure how much more gas is in the tank. Devoid of the Underwoods declaring martial law and disbanding Congress, Frank has more or less reached the peak of his power. I also don't know how much longer they can tease the revelation of Frank's various scandals.

tbqh, I expect this season to end with Frank narrowly winning the Electoral College while losing the popular vote and the next season to be about his long-awaited unraveling, possibly orchestrated by Claire.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Just want to reiterate how glad I am that Frank and Claire got back together to run their evil schemes together targeted at other people, it's so sweet! :3:

Also how terrifying Claire joining Frank in looking directly at the audience at the end of season 4 was :ohdear:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Anonymous John posted:

I'm assuming if this was the final season they would be promoting it as such. I'm sure there will be at least one more season of the show.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
It's going to be fun to see Frank and everyone who's supported him finally get theirs when the series finally ends, it's not like we'll see that kind of payoff happen in reality. Put me down for Frank blowing his head off with a shotgun just like his father did when the walls have finally closed down sufficiently around him, or even better arranging for someone to kill him so he can get out with his "legacy" intact. Ooh, or Claire finally has enough and offs him.

So many fun ways he could meet his doom, but I don't expect the show to end until season 7, it's too high profile a show for Netflix to allow it to die before then. Six seasons is possible, but I'm fully expecting it to go past that.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
it seems as though they're going with Conway as the Republican nominee, was half wondering if they were going to try and work some kind of Trump character into the setting.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Trump got name checked last season, back when the world was sane and him running for office was still a joke.

I think it would be really cool if this was the last season and he gets his comeuppance at the end of it, but they don't announce it as such to give away the surprise.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

khwarezm posted:

it seems as though they're going with Conway as the Republican nominee, was half wondering if they were going to try and work some kind of Trump character into the setting.

I think Frank is the closest thing the show will have to a Trump character. Going to be interested in seeing how the writers handle his fight against not!ISIS next season.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I think it'd be cute if we saw a Trump allusion character in the Republican primaries and he gets ignored and ends up with only like 3% of the vote. Frank's definitely going to do most of the Trumpy stuff, they might throw his opponent like one Trump thing like being hard on Immigration and building a wall or something, but it's not hard to picture Frank playing up threats and dangers like immigrants coming to take all the jobs or notIsis to get votes.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
HoC account on Instagram released a few images, most notably text of the Presidential Oath of Office but with letters spelling out IMPEACH sticking out

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Jerusalem posted:

Also how terrifying Claire joining Frank in looking directly at the audience at the end of season 4 was :ohdear:

That is probably one of my favourite moments in TV-history. Last season was a bit uneven for me but it ended on the loving top of Everest of quality land.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I loved this show but the 2016 cycle pretty much made HoC look like non-fiction.

We are living through a more far fetched HoC as this point.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Herv posted:

I loved this show but the 2016 cycle pretty much made HoC look like non-fiction.

We are living through a more far fetched HoC as this point.

House of Cards was a lot more entertaining when it was speculative fiction. Now that we're living it, it's more unsettling than anything else.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
this is such a prescient show. i cant wait for the biting political satire. i wonder what senile new york billionare rapist frank underwood will do next.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Anonymous John posted:

I believe to remember that Michael Kelly said just before season 4 came out, that they planned to do six seasons. However who knows what Netflix will do to the show after all.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

The Administration reminds you that if you see something, say something.

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/864507449033736192

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
I finally got around to starting HoC and holy poo poo. I should have started way sooner than I did.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"It's terrifying, isn't it?"

Yes Claire, it is terrifying that you can see us :gonk:

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Wasn't really feeling the most recent season as much as previous ones. Didn't like the focus shifting away from Frank's character as a solo villain to including more Claire screen time. Plus, I think Kevin Spacey is by far the best actor on the show.

Still, looking forward to the new season. Gonna be a fun marathon.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com
What time do new Netflix seasons usually go up?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

-Blackadder- posted:

Wasn't really feeling the most recent season as much as previous ones. Didn't like the focus shifting away from Frank's character as a solo villain to including more Claire screen time. Plus, I think Kevin Spacey is by far the best actor on the show.

Still, looking forward to the new season. Gonna be a fun marathon.

Hmm, I thought that season 4 was distinctly better than the previous one, it was more focused at the very least and dropped some of the more eye-rolling stuff like America Works.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I hard the showrunner wanted to do 52 episodes. Same as a deck of cards. But that Netflix wants to keep it going. Anybody know anything more about that?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

What time do new Netflix seasons usually go up?

Based on previous seasons, the new season will launch a little after midnight PST.

LividLiquid posted:

I hard the showrunner wanted to do 52 episodes. Same as a deck of cards. But that Netflix wants to keep it going. Anybody know anything more about that?

Unless I am mistaken, the end of the last season marked 52 episodes.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

This was just goon speculation, I'm pretty sure

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

It's up!

Caros
May 14, 2008

Holy poo poo.

The first scene with Underwood is loving incredible.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Noooo I still have to finish the old Twin Peaks so I can start the new Twin Peaks! :gonk:

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Caros posted:

Holy poo poo.

The first scene with Underwood is loving incredible.

Agreed. What a way to open.

Really, I hope this is going in the direction of "Brazen like Trump, but smart about when to do it."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh gently caress this is really hard to watch, but amazing.

Holy poo poo no fly list, did they write and shoot this season in 3 months or are they just psychic? gently caress this is good

Episode 2 haha frank just stopped time for a monologue, BLAH BLAH BULLSHIT

precision fucked around with this message at 10:05 on May 30, 2017

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Skipped ahead to the final few episodes, and drat the Underwoods are done playing around. At least one big event that I didn't really expect too, though I probably should have before the season even started. I'm starting to see how the series could end, and I hope they go in the direction I'm thinking of.

Edit: Oh, and there was a line at the end there that really twisted the knife in how the real election went down in a way that had to be intentional.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 10:28 on May 30, 2017

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Just finished Episode 1. Very promising start.

Can someone remind me who the guy doing internet and phone survelliance for the Underwoods last season is again? I can't remember his name or how specifically he got brought in.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Frank just broke the wall beyond the fourth wall :psyduck:

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I am very glad this is back.

First episode was good, I had forgotten a lot of the subplots of S4 before I saw the recap before the episode too, those are very handy.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Slashrat posted:

Agreed. What a way to open.

Really, I hope this is going in the direction of "Brazen like Trump, but smart about when to do it."

Yeah I just co-watched the first two episodes with someone and the take away was basically "I'd be scared about Trump watching this if Trump had any cunning or knowledge of US parliamentary procedure...."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I would bet actual money that Trump ends up tweeting something hilariously tone deaf about House of Cards.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Can I get a link to the House of Cards S4 thread? I realized I still need to finish the last two episodes, and I really enjoy reading discussion after each episode

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I watched to the end of S2 but then the scuttlebutt on S3 was so poor I dropped it. Should I skim S3 or read a synopsis or something and start back at S4? Or was S3 good after all?

Also add me under "2016 killed political fiction for me."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
E2: Goddamn, Donald Blythe savaged Cathy. He's going out quietly, but not taking poo poo over it from anyone who were even deeper into the mess than him.

• Locked thread