Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
GOD DAMMIT

This game has me fighting against its mechancis more than anything else. I still find myself blindsided where I think I'm understanding game descriptions correctly only for the score multiplyers I expect to come to never actually materialize.

But worse is that twice now I've been cost a clear victory because the game asked me to reshuffle my deck on the third round and I inadvertently pressed X instead of Square. An "are you sure" prompt would be much appreciated, I do not really need to reshuffle my cards in the third round game!

GAH I hate not winning when I should have won

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

GOD DAMMIT

This game has me fighting against its mechancis more than anything else. I still find myself blindsided where I think I'm understanding game descriptions correctly only for the score multiplyers I expect to come to never actually materialize.

But worse is that twice now I've been cost a clear victory because the game asked me to reshuffle my deck on the third round and I inadvertently pressed X instead of Square. An "are you sure" prompt would be much appreciated, I do not really need to reshuffle my cards in the third round game!

GAH I hate not winning when I should have won

I don't get this post. No sarcasm meant.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I've made a huge mistake.

Kawabata posted:

Yeah, about that: I think Morkvarg is the most unfair card in the game right now, and probably the strongest value wise.

He doesn't even have a real counter.

Based on today's experience: lock him after he eats a billion strengthens, kill, caretaker him onto your own board which also unlocks him. :v:

Edit: holy poo poo, was that you Minrad? :laffo:

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 28, 2017

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Kawabata posted:

I don't get this post. No sarcasm meant.

I had a revive lady in my hand, ready to bring my victory move; instead I hit the X button and redrew her instantly, giving me a useless card and resulting in a draw.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Based on today's experience: lock him after he eats a billion strengthens, kill, caretaker him onto your own board which also unlocks him. :v:

Edit: holy poo poo, was that you Minrad? :laffo:

Haha, it might have been! Did you griffin an Olgierd too? I got wrecked pretty hard and fast, no argument there :v:

A friend just picked up 60 packs and pulled Coral, Cerys, and RNR on top of every rare and half the epics in the standard queensguard deck right now. I'm mildly jealous.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

8-Bit Scholar posted:

GOD DAMMIT

Gotta say I'm finding some of the mechanics a little obtuse also. Cards that I expect to draw or play another card just do nothing and I can't figure out why, I had to go google what weather does because there doesn't seem to be anything in the UI that tells me, cards that 'buff a unit to their left' and then seem to buff the whole row, stuff like that. Nothing that won't go away with more play time and not being a complete beginner, but if I didn't already know the Witcher world, play Gwent in Witcher 3, and be curious about this new CCG, not sure I'd be persisting.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Minrad posted:

Haha, it might have been! Did you griffin an Olgierd too? I got wrecked pretty hard and fast, no argument there :v:

A friend just picked up 60 packs and pulled Coral, Cerys, and RNR on top of every rare and half the epics in the standard queensguard deck right now. I'm mildly jealous.

gently caress, I don't run griffins. :negative:

On the plus side there are multiple Weather Monster players standing boldly against degenerate playstyles.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I had a revive lady in my hand, ready to bring my victory move; instead I hit the X button and redrew her instantly, giving me a useless card and resulting in a draw.

Oh, right. That never happened to me, but yes, they should probably copy HS system where you cross a card but don't discard it until you also click accept.

hampig posted:

Gotta say I'm finding some of the mechanics a little obtuse also. Cards that I expect to draw or play another card just do nothing and I can't figure out why, I had to go google what weather does because there doesn't seem to be anything in the UI that tells me, cards that 'buff a unit to their left' and then seem to buff the whole row, stuff like that. Nothing that won't go away with more play time and not being a complete beginner, but if I didn't already know the Witcher world, play Gwent in Witcher 3, and be curious about this new CCG, not sure I'd be persisting.

Hovering over a card will explain the keywords but yes, weather effect should be indicated somewhere and they should make the difference between Stregthen/Boost and Spawn/Summon easier to understand at first glance.. This is pretty normal for an open beta though, HS had positioning bugs for months and keyword inconsistency for years.

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 28, 2017

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Should I craft Ragh Nah Roog or Drought? Which is better?

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

RatHat posted:

Should I craft Ragh Nah Roog or Drought? Which is better?

RNR but I wouldn't craft anything other than bronze and maybe a silver or two for at least a week or so.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Rag. Rag will almost always get the full value of 3 strength a unit, while Drought will not.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

ShowTime posted:

Rag. Rag will almost always get the full value of 3 strength a unit, while Drought will not.

Drought also runs into the issue of triggering Deathwish units, potentially making the enemy board stronger.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Right so Skellige is loving bee's knee's murderbeast central, provided I get enough revivers. I'll have to stack the deck with more of them once I gather, but I'm still seeing what cards are out there. Either way, I'm finally out of the starting gate and getting wins in multiplayer.

This game has a lot of wonky issues but the core gameplay is quite solid and I love how they've developed the system. I have no idea how well-balanced it is: I haven't touched Northern Realms and Nilfgaard seems to be tailor-made to destroy my Skellige strategy. I have a bunch of elf cards and I've made a deck, so I guess I'll try and see how they play.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Kawabata posted:

RNR but I wouldn't craft anything other than bronze and maybe a silver or two for at least a week or so.

Eh, nerfs are sure to come but if you plan on going hard on the game in the short term I don't think crafting RNR is a bad call. In terms of the ranked games it's won me it's probably pretty close to paying itself off in packs already.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Right so Skellige is loving bee's knee's murderbeast central, provided I get enough revivers. I'll have to stack the deck with more of them once I gather, but I'm still seeing what cards are out there. Either way, I'm finally out of the starting gate and getting wins in multiplayer.

This game has a lot of wonky issues but the core gameplay is quite solid and I love how they've developed the system. I have no idea how well-balanced it is: I haven't touched Northern Realms and Nilfgaard seems to be tailor-made to destroy my Skellige strategy. I have a bunch of elf cards and I've made a deck, so I guess I'll try and see how they play.

Judging by rank10+ streamers the weakest deck currently is NR; Nilf and Sk the most popular, Monsters and Scoiatael in the middle. Matchups are never incredibly polarized. Also, unlike Team 5, CDPR isn't afraid of buffing/nerfing/completely changing several cards at a time if they think the meta isn't as interesting as they want it to be.

Yeah the core gameplay is excellent and boy those premium cards look incredible.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Oh, locking Queenguard doesn't stop them from reviving. I guess that makes sense since it's the ability of the played one that's reviving them.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

RatHat posted:

Oh, locking Queenguard doesn't stop them from reviving. I guess that makes sense since it's the ability of the played one that's reviving them.

Just lock all four. :shepface:

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

RatHat posted:

The cool bit is you can res the locked one and it still works because the lock gets removed when they res.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

ShowTime posted:

Imperial Golems are most definitely the strongest bronze unit in Nilfgaard. Almost certainly gonna get changed too, but they are only bronze so it's no big deal. Add 9 strength to the board in 3 different units and thinning out your deck by 3 is great. Especially with John Calveit. Your first or second turn basically turns into a 14-23 point play. Hitting that The Guardian you were looking for off him feels so good.

Which is another great addition to add to your deck. The Guardian is a big chunk of strength, but basically blanks out your opponents next draws, which is kind of the point of a control deck anyway.

So the strategy with this one is to go strong immediately at first round (unless u get a card advantage card) so that your opponent needs to spend a lot of cards to counter it?

I might try it. It would mean, though, that I have to get rid of the Knights (that i usually mulligan until 3rd round where I would need them), so I wonder how I will adjust.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
lock just removes the body text of a card basically

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
but they really need to do something about queensguard because its literally a more consistent and better version of any trio-centered henselt deck you can build

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
If you play a card into a weathered row (specifically biting frost) will it's ability not trigger? I tried playing a Wild Hunt Hound into biting frost and wasn't prompted to use biting frost my opponent's row.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Gorman Thomas posted:

If you play a card into a weathered row (specifically biting frost) will it's ability not trigger? I tried playing a Wild Hunt Hound into biting frost and wasn't prompted to use biting frost my opponent's row.

That's because you finished the Frost Weather cards in your deck. The hound still uses your own cards.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Okay so, submitting my current Monster noobdeck to the judgement of the thread.

Currently:

Eredin

Golds:
Royal Decree, Yennefer Conjurer, Caretaker, Imlerith
(Available other golds: Triss, Geralt, Ciri Dash - I figure Imlerith is an acceptable trade for Trish, and Yennefer and Caretaker carry some real oomph)

Silvers: Scorch, Water Hag, Nithral, Cleaver
(Available other silvers: Decoy, Commander's Horn, Dudu)

Bronze
3x Celaeno Harpy - :allears:
2x Wild Hunt Hound,
3x Biting Frost - well, duh.
3x Frost Giant
2x Wild Hunt Warrior
1x Earth Elemental
3x First Light - pulling a random unit is an okay consolation prize

--

I'm leaning towards my immediate crafting priorities being RNR, the Crone Trio, maybe some Drowners, probably a Frightener. Any other thoughts?

I'm not entirely delighted with the Frost Giants in particular. The Warriors get some work done and the Elemental is a perfectly adequate unit, 10 power points and a shield all told.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Kawabata posted:

That's because you finished the Frost Weather cards in your deck. The hound still uses your own cards.

gently caress that makes sense, thanks!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Gorman Thomas posted:

gently caress that makes sense, thanks!

Water Hag doesn't use your own cards, though! (Spawn makes cards, summon pulls deck cards.)

Or for cards you've definitely seen, Dagon also spawns weather cards. He's just, you know, inferior to Eredin chucking hounds onto the field if all you care about is reliable frost output.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
I never got into gwent while playing witcher 3. The tutorial wasn't very good and I ended up ignoring it to focus on the real game. So going into this I wasn't quite sure what to expect. Its actually really fun once you understand whats going on. I found the tutorial here much better. That said, I'm playing a dwarf scoia'tael deck right now with Eithene leader. Mostly because I don't really have cards for other decks and managing to get a bunch of dwarf cards with my early few packs so I stuck with it. I'm actually winning most of my matches only losing to someone with a really expensive deck and even those I can beat time to time. Nilfgaard sucks to play against though. Eithene is so flexible, I can use her for stammelford's tremors or scorch or just buffing the resilent dwarves with thunderbolt potion.

Heres the thing. I have no idea what to craft with my 400ish scrap. I can make two silver cards. I'm liking scoia'tael so far so I think I'll stick with it and maybe try other types of decks within the same faction. I heard the mages are strong so should I be crafting Ida Emean? Should I pick up a strong weather spell like skellige storm since everyone seems to be saying weather is strong right now. Or is there another scoia'tael card thats universal in other scoia'tael decks I should get.

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013
Was it dumb to scrap all my Northern Realms cards to get a gold I was looking for? It seems like that deck doesn't have a whole lot going for it right now, and my Skellige deck reliably takes anyone playing NR apart.

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber
Has the card crafting challenge been fixed? IIRC it was said it would eat 100 of your scrap or something

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

I did it. I beat 4 Clear Skies in a single game.
Fun fact about this deck, you never get a Good Game bonus after the round.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
Bloodcurdling roar is way more useful than I thought, A couple people I have played tried to spam Nilfgaard "Diseased Cow" catapults at me , only to have all the cows turned into raging bears :smugdog:

Also as I am playing Skellige most of the time I am glad I have learned how to best grief a skellige deck. I narrowly win first round, get crushed second round due to his buffed out queensguard, he does more buffs on his queensguard that is sitting in the discard ready to be rezzed, we both have one card left, I have a priestess, I'm 90% sure he has a priestess too. So I rez one of my raging bears, which puts me ahead by one point. He plays his priestess which gets eaten immediately before it can res his 25+ pt queensguard. I didn't get a GG on that one.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

The Gorp posted:

Add in aeromancy, MORE WEATHER

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I love all the Witcher stuff, but I never played Gwent in W3. Looking at some videos this seems like it's much more interesting than hearthstone and such. Guess I'll give it a shot. Are there(or going to be) a shitload of different cards to build decks with? I like variety.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Velveteen posted:

Heres the thing. I have no idea what to craft with my 400ish scrap. I can make two silver cards. I'm liking scoia'tael so far so I think I'll stick with it and maybe try other types of decks within the same faction. I heard the mages are strong so should I be crafting Ida Emean? Should I pick up a strong weather spell like skellige storm since everyone seems to be saying weather is strong right now. Or is there another scoia'tael card thats universal in other scoia'tael decks I should get.

The faction silvers seem absolutely the best bang for buck in terms of scrap crafting, and I really love the mages for their absurd utility. Denis Cranmer seems like an auto-include in dwarf decks so maybe him? Roach is supposed to be another excellent multipurpose silver but ymmv

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

The Gorp posted:

that d-bomb is filthy

you're a sick man

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber
e: wrong loving thread

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

The Gorp posted:

Oh my god

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I love all the Witcher stuff, but I never played Gwent in W3. Looking at some videos this seems like it's much more interesting than hearthstone and such. Guess I'll give it a shot. Are there(or going to be) a shitload of different cards to build decks with? I like variety.

Possibly!

There are five factions, each one will have 3 different styles of play.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

Mr. Pool posted:

Add in aeromancy, MORE WEATHER

It was in there for a while but it's nowhere near as good as D-Bomb or the hags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I would like to have more details of my profile, things like history of matches, Win/lose ratio, % of games played with every faction, etc. I hope they implement that stuff at some point.