Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I could probably stand to update the OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

siggy2021 posted:

I just started playing this and I have no clue what the gently caress you guys are even saying. Is there a good resource / primer to learn the ropes?

I recommend using the various wikis for the game if you have any questions. If you just started this week and you haven't summoned any good 5* units or any units that you have a personal attachment to, then it may be worth it to delete your account and start the game all over to "reroll" for some of the top tier units. Orbs will eventually run out once you finish all of the story missions.

If you want to be a casual player, then just do whatever you want. Many of the people here have been playing for months and compete in the arena, oftentimes playing against teams owned by "whales" or people that spend hundreds/thousands of dollars in the game. That's the main reason why you would want to optimize your team compositions and give them the best passive skills through skill inheritance.

My personally favorite wiki: https://fireemblem.gamepress.gg

korben
Aug 14, 2002

ungulateman posted:

press the fancy 'advanced growth' button and 'unlock potential' button when anna and sharena reach level 20

Actually it's probably better to continue leveling past 20 at 3* & 4* to make sure you get enough SP for skill inheritance, especially since you can't merge these characters. Kind of kicking myself for promoting Anna early.

The only other advice I wish I had followed is to not merge or send home characters until you get a good understanding of which skills and characters are worthwhile. If you're lost as to which characters to focus on, the wikis have "tier lists" that rank them against each other. Take those with a grain of salt, most characters can be made viable with skill inheritance if there's one you really enjoy. The gamepedia wiki also has a starter guide http://feheroes.gamepedia.com/Basics

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I have a +Atk/-Def Hinoka but not enough good fliers to do Fire Emblem (I think, besides a -Atk/+Res Spring Camilla who is just awful). I leveled her up to 40 because I had nothing else to do with my stamina and only taught her Hone Fliers (but kept her equipped with Hone Speed 2 for now). She seems pretty decent and with proper skill inheritance she should be good even without flier buffs (though that may be a project for the far future).

What do I give her? Draconic Aura, Draw Back/Reposition, A slot... Fury 3 or Death Blow and B slot ???????? I see a lot of people with Hit and Run or Drag Back in that slot for her and I'm not sure why

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
I wouldn't bother with Flier Emblem until some better flying units come out. Invest it in Horse Emblem or an infantry team built around ~blade tome users if you happen to have one of the incest siblings. Hell, I'm giving Armor Emblem a good go before Flier Emblem.

On that note I've got me a 5* -SPD/+ATK Effie, a 5* Zephiel (who I am considering giving Distant Counter to), a 5* +ATK/-DEF Hector and, the runt of the litter: a 5* +HP/-ATK Sheena. Luckily, I have a 4* +ATK/-SPD Sheena that I completely forgot about, so there's my next promotion/merge. Pivot has been great and all, but I think I'll play around with swap as well, to keep them all bunched up for buffing.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Roger Explosion posted:

I wouldn't bother with Flier Emblem until some better flying units come out. Invest it in Horse Emblem or an infantry team built around ~blade tome users if you happen to have one of the incest siblings. Hell, I'm giving Armor Emblem a good go before Flier Emblem.

Flier emblem is pretty fun if you have Bunny Camilla and Hinoka, otherwise it's definitely not worth it. A good red unit would be nice to have though.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Armor emblem always seemed weird to me because you need to sacrifice a hector or 2 to make it really good and even with fortify armor, I think their res is low enough that mages will still one-shot them a lot (at least all the merged armor emblem teams I see in arena get destroyed by mages) and even with pivot/reposition, they just never get to the enemy without leaving one of them open to a counterattack

I do have a decent base for Horse Emblem, with a Xander, Elise, Reinhardt, and 3 different Cecilias to choose from

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I could probably stand to update the OP

make sure you mention to "be the change you want to see in the world" OP

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Andrast posted:

Flier emblem is pretty fun if you have Bunny Camilla and Hinoka, otherwise it's definitely not worth it. A good red unit would be nice to have though.

I have all the base components for Flier Emblem; Hinoka, BCamilla, Palla, and a Caeda to mulch for Fortify Fliers. Main problem is that Fliers find the green mages kinda tough and your only ranged unit (BCamilla) has pretty low Res, so baiting Reinhardt isn't always feasible unless you're gonna add Triangle Adept too.

Reposition is a really good skill for Fliers, too.

I still haven't managed to pull a Cherche either. I could just spend 20k feathers promoting Palla and then feed Caeda to Subaki though.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Andrast posted:

Flier emblem is pretty fun if you have Bunny Camilla and Hinoka, otherwise it's definitely not worth it.

I have both of those and even then, eh. Not to take away from Bunny Camilla because mine (+SPD/Gronnraven+/Draconic Aura/Tri Adept 3/Green Tomebreaker 3/Threaten SPD 3) is a goddamned destroyer of worlds, but it's much easier and fun just to attach her to my already good Eirika/~blade team rather than invest in a bunch of mediocre flier units.

quote:

A good red unit would be nice to have though.
Yep. Though I reckon a +SPD Palla with Wo Dao+ and perhaps Iote's Shield would be "good" but just "good" isn't, well, good enough for putting in all that effort.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Armor emblem always seemed weird to me because you need to sacrifice a hector or 2 to make it really good and even with fortify armor, I think their res is low enough that mages will still one-shot them a lot (at least all the merged armor emblem teams I see in arena get destroyed by mages) and even with pivot/reposition, they just never get to the enemy without leaving one of them open to a counterattack
It's challenging, that's for sure, but I'm going to give it a shot because I want to see if I can get a higher arena score without having to whale for multi-merges (which I'm not doing anyway, so hey). As powerful as Horse Emblem is and as great as the arena rebalancing has been for making them relevant, their basement-level BSTs still take a cut out of your score. The RES issue isn't as bad as it seems behind a few buffs and spurs, and having a Sheena certainly helps, but it's very much a tome-dominated meta right now, so yeah, it's hard.

quote:

I do have a decent base for Horse Emblem, with a Xander, Elise, Reinhardt, and 3 different Cecilias to choose from
Noice. Go Xander, Rein and whichever Cecilia has +SPD or +ATK. Leave the other slot open whatever character is the flavour of the month in arena.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

I have all the base components for Flier Emblem; Hinoka, BCamilla, Palla, and a Caeda to mulch for Fortify Fliers. Main problem is that Fliers find the green mages kinda tough and your only ranged unit (BCamilla) has pretty low Res, so baiting Reinhardt isn't always feasible unless you're gonna add Triangle Adept too.

Reposition is a really good skill for Fliers, too.

I still haven't managed to pull a Cherche either. I could just spend 20k feathers promoting Palla and then feed Caeda to Subaki though.

BCamilla should OHKO every green mage with buffs (assuming a blade tome here).

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Oh my god Narcian is so loving weak, completing the last quest is gonna be such a pain in the rear end.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Kyte posted:

Oh my god Narcian is so loving weak, completing the last quest is gonna be such a pain in the rear end.
The 9:2 story chapter has a Narcian there and he hangs out over the ocean for a little bit while you clean up the units on land. Take a dancer and spam Light's Blessings.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Roger Explosion posted:

I have both of those and even then, eh. Not to take away from Bunny Camilla because mine (+SPD/Gronnraven+/Draconic Aura/Tri Adept 3/Green Tomebreaker 3/Threaten SPD 3) is a goddamned destroyer of worlds, but it's much easier and fun just to attach her to my already good Eirika/~blade team rather than invest in a bunch of mediocre flier units.

Well, all of these gimmick teams are worse than regular teams since they lack a dancer (and usually have worse arena score). I just consider them an exercise in team building.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Roger Explosion posted:

The 9:2 story chapter has a Narcian there and he hangs out over the ocean for a little bit while you clean up the units on land. Take a dancer and spam Light's Blessings.
That'll do, I s'pose. Thanks.

E: NOPE IT WON'T BE ENOUGH BECAUSE THIS USELESS SON A BITCH CAN'T DO ANYTHING AT LEVEL 30 AND SUCKS SO loving MUCH HE KEEPS loving DYING IN THE loving TOWER AGAINST A TEAM OF loving BLUES. gently caress NARCIAN YOU'VE BEEN WORSE TO LEVEL THAN loving CAEDA.

Supercar Gautier posted:

I'm pretty sure the reason they keep turning the free orbs off and on again is because players make panicked impulse purchases whenever the orb supply is cut off. But they'll never turn them off permanently, or a lot of players would completely give up on the game.
It was probably to balance out the orb income from the other stuff like the Kozaki quests. Which is kinda crappy but eh.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 07:31 on May 28, 2017

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Andrast posted:

BCamilla should OHKO every green mage with buffs (assuming a blade tome here).

She would, but I'm not sure if you can actually use her to bait them.

I guess part of it is that Flier Emblem's a lot more aggressive and I'm used to a more defensive playstyle.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

She would, but I'm not sure if you can actually use her to bait them.

I guess part of it is that Flier Emblem's a lot more aggressive and I'm used to a more defensive playstyle.

Neither Julia or Nino (without buffs) will OHKO Bunny Camilla so you can bait and kill them on the counterhit.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
Just do the Narcian killing himself on the hard GHB where he is slightly weaker. Remember to give him the atk seal and level him to ~33+

If you can't do the GHB with a dead weight bring an attack buffer and a Pain healer to 9-2.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Problem is leveling past 30 is like pulling teeth because he's incredibly lovely. Admittedly it was also because I hadn't yet bought the Emerald Axe but not unit should die that loving easily.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
It's a decent place to spend level crystals if you have them. Dude really is weak.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Kyte posted:

Problem is leveling past 30 is like pulling teeth because he's incredibly lovely. Admittedly it was also because I hadn't yet bought the Emerald Axe but not unit should die that loving easily.

The Emerad Axe was the first thing that I gave him when I promoted him to 4 star. He is awful, but he has enough defense to kill blue units higher level than him without getting hurt. He definitely sucks though. I trained him with Azura and two healers (one with gravity and one with pain) just so he could one-shot other greens without getting a counterattack landing on him.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
what the hell? Narcian is good. Give him the emerald axe already and lancebreaker.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Assuming for the moment that super Tiki already wrecks all green tomes, what's Julia's best option for B slot? Right now I have an incredibly useless escape route but the usual advice for her is G Tomebreaker which I don't super need

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Assuming for the moment that super Tiki already wrecks all green tomes, what's Julia's best option for B slot? Right now I have an incredibly useless escape route but the usual advice for her is G Tomebreaker which I don't super need

Quick riposte I guess?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

cheetah7071 posted:

Assuming for the moment that super Tiki already wrecks all green tomes, what's Julia's best option for B slot?

does watersweep counter g tomebreaker's follow-up? :v:

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

cheetah7071 posted:

Bowbreaker maybe?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

so I'm looking at starting the framework for an Armor Emblem team. Unfortunately, I do not have Hector or Zephiel, but here's what I do have handy:

Sheena: 5* Neutral, 4* +HP-ATK,+SPD-HP
Effie: 4* -HP+SPD, +DEF-ATK,-HP+RES
Draug: 4* +DEF-RES, 3* -HP+DEF,-HP+SPD,Neutral, 2* unknown
Gwendolyn: 3* Neutral, -HP+Res

Hector would probably end up mulched into Effie anyway, so I'm wondering what my best set is here. I will obviously be getting Zephiel when he comes back, so if that's mandatory, that's fine, I'll just build a framework and wait for him to show up.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I don't really see a point in armor emblem without a Hector, preferably multiple so you can give distant counters to everyone.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Armor Emblem is really only worth it for people so invested in the game that building an entire expensive team in order to get sufficient arena points to maintain their rank is a worthwhile decision (because armored teams give higher scoring opponents due to higher base stat totals).

You need a bare minimum of one Hector to use and another Hector to give either Effie or preferably Zephiel distant counter so you have another unit that can fight mages - Hector can manhandle Reinhardt and Linde just fine but struggles against Nino, Cecilia and especially Julia (let's not even mention the rarer red mages). Without distant counter you're resigned to slowly shuffling your units in the direction of the enemy team and your characters can't maintain all their buffs on each other.

Given that you have a bunch of inheritance fodder and three mediocre 4* Effies, there's no point in making that leap. If you get super lucky and pull one or more Hectors, while also picking up Zephiel when they do his GHB again, you can come back and think about mulching some of those bad units into them for hone/fortify effects.

There's really no reason to go crazy like this when an offensive dancer team like Olivia/Sharena/Cecilia can easily carry you to a solid Arena score for zero money and less investment otherwise.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Really wish they release more characters. I need more characters to 4*.

Also something to do with all these useless badges.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
What's the best Hana set? Does she want +spd/-res or +atk/-res?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Tired Moritz posted:

Really wish they release more characters. I need more characters to 4*.

Also something to do with all these useless badges.

I don't think they thought the badges thing through, I've got the great badges to 5* between 5 and 10 units of all types but welp :v:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I'm ready for permadeath mode

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

ungulateman posted:

There's really no reason to go crazy like this when an offensive dancer team like Olivia/Sharena/Cecilia can easily carry you to a solid Arena score for zero money and less investment otherwise.

My horse emblem team's already pretty much guaranteed me rank 17 this week (I did bare minimum for quite a while, only been trying for a couple weeks.), I'm mostly looking for more variety and interesting things. If most of my people are garbage, though, I'll just wait for better pulls.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
The red and blue crests are useful for getting Hinatas, Roys, Lonqus , Subakis, and Shannas to 4*

Still haven't found a use for green crests

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Centzon Totochtin posted:

The red and blue crests are useful for getting Hinatas, Roys, Lonqus , Subakis, and Shannas to 4*

Still haven't found a use for green crests

There is no 3* Roy

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

What's the best Hana set? Does she want +spd/-res or +atk/-res?

+spd if you want to run the Quad Brave build, +atk if you want to run the Wo Dao+ build.

Quad Hana is easier to build since Wo Dao+ is pretty rare, Wo Dao+ build if you get your hands on it is capable of taking down more Blue counters.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ostentatious posted:

+spd if you want to run the Quad Brave build, +atk if you want to run the Wo Dao+ build.

Quad Hana is easier to build since Wo Dao+ is pretty rare, Wo Dao+ build if you get your hands on it is capable of taking down more Blue counters.

I've got a +spd/-res and a Brave Sword so I'd probably go in that direction then.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Andrast posted:

There is no 3* Roy

In my heart he will always be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Kyte posted:

His whole gimmick is the emerald axe. Why didn't you buy that first thing? Give him the axe and then just look for levels with red units that have noodles for weapons when facing Narcian.