Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
So, biggest notable coming out of this show tonight was the reitrement of Ultramantis Black. He almost de-masked himself but decided against it. He did the Undertaker retirement angle where he left some of his gear in the ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
UMB would make an outstanding manager in the vein of Paul Heyman for huge monsters. I could easily see him being a Sinister Minister type manager for someone like Braun

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

RealFoxy posted:

UMB would make an outstanding manager in the vein of Paul Heyman for huge monsters. I could easily see him being a Sinister Minister type manager for someone like Braun

I love UMB but he's far too cartoonish for WWE unless he unmasks, which I doubt he'll do.

Plus he's really into the whole ethical consumption thing, I think he'd sooner jam a fork up his rear end then go there. And they don't seem to do male managers much outside of proven guys like Heyman and Ellering.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

So here's the current lineup for King of Trios this year:

1) House Calamari (Chris Brookes, Kid Lykos and Travis Banks)
2) House Rot (Frightmare, Hallowicked and Kobald)
3) House Sendai Girls (Cassandra Miyagi, Dash Chisako and Meiko Satomura)
4) House Xyberhawx (Nytehawk, Razerhawk and Sylverhawk)
5) House Throwback (Mr. Touchdown, Dasher Hatfield and Simon Gotch)

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Shout out to whoever was smoking weed somewhere in the Wrestle Factory during today's show. I smelled it the whole time

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Dangerous Person posted:

Shout out to whoever was smoking weed somewhere in the Wrestle Factory during today's show. I smelled it the whole time

Must have been on the other side because I didn't smell anything

Silver Ant :ohdear:

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Must have been on the other side because I didn't smell anything

Silver Ant :ohdear:

I was in the front row on the right side of the entrance. Chuck Taylor TM collapsed in front of my friends and we had to cool him down. For the whole show it just reeked of skunk weed in way that definitely wasn't just wrestling crowd BO

Also that Johnny Kidd Invitational next week has ZSJ and Matt Riddle on the card so I'm probably gonna check that out

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Dangerous Person posted:

Also that Johnny Kidd Invitational next week has ZSJ and Matt Riddle on the card so I'm probably gonna check that out

For the life of me I cannot figure out why you would announce that tournament so late and not have the card revealed until after the show

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

https://twitter.com/WarTursas/status/873990035640549376

So we're down to one ant now, huh?

I wasn't at the show, but apparently the Whisper revealed that Ophidian was the fake 17 from the Chikara vs. Flood angle. Sure, why not.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Gavok posted:

I wasn't at the show, but apparently the Whisper revealed that Ophidian was the fake 17 from the Chikara vs. Flood angle. Sure, why not.

Huh, I thought it was Amasis' mask from the mask vs. mask match

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Nope.

https://twitter.com/The__Whisper/status/873646717928865795

As a catch-up because it never really led to anything: during the big Chikara vs. Flood brawl during the National Pro Wrestling Day that announced Chikara's return, 17 was pulled backstage by Quack's cane. In the season that followed, 17 remained a member of the Flood, but whenever Kid Cyclone and the rest of the rookies went after him, Hallowicked and Fire Ant and whoever would step in their way. 17 finally showed his true colors late in the season when he saved a Chikara guy from being murdered by Deucalion and then ran off. Deucalion killed Shard instead and Jimmy Jacobs only found discarded 17 mask and gear littered backstage.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Mel Mudkiper posted:

For the life of me I cannot figure out why you would announce that tournament so late and not have the card revealed until after the show

It's bizarre. With how much emphasis Quack put on buying tickets as we walked out you think he would have at least thrown out some names

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Gavok posted:

So here's the current lineup for King of Trios this year:

1) House Calamari (Chris Brookes, Kid Lykos and Travis Banks)
2) House Rot (Frightmare, Hallowicked and Kobald)
3) House Sendai Girls (Cassandra Miyagi, Dash Chisako and Meiko Satomura)
4) House Xyberhawx (Nytehawk, Razerhawk and Sylverhawk)
5) House Throwback (Mr. Touchdown, Dasher Hatfield and Simon Gotch)

Adding to this: House Furies (Fire Ant, Solo Darling, Travis Huckabee)

In other news, the Johnny Kidd Invitational is streaming on Chikaratopia right now.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Petty.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I honestly don't know whose worse off at this point. Wrestlecircus is probably going to burn itself out by the end of the year, but when is the last time CHIKARA was the talk of the town

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

RealFoxy posted:

I honestly don't know whose worse off at this point. Wrestlecircus is probably going to burn itself out by the end of the year, but when is the last time CHIKARA was the talk of the town

when Missile Assault Ant blew up a school bus of children in Zimbabwe

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

aw man

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Is it? Here's a "tip" don't steal property that isn't yours.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

rovert posted:

Hasn't he been out of the company for a while? And only recently been doing WrestleCircus stuff as they've gotten big. If Quack wanted to stop him from using that name/gimmick in general, he could have definitely acted a lot quicker than this week

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

rovert posted:

So Chikara should sue Ultramantis Black for using his gimmick in his band?

Or Hydra using his gimmick in that children's cooking show?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
He has. My understanding CHIKARA let him use it or turned a blind eye as part of getting him out of their hair so to speak.

I don't pretend to know the full story though. Solo a current CHIKARA roster member tweeted this when the news broke. Maybe related maybe not:

https://twitter.com/SoloDarling/status/882762418132316160

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

So Chikara should sue Ultramantis Black for using his gimmick in his band?

Or Hydra using his gimmick in that children's cooking show?

Are they not both on good terms with Chikara though?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

hyper from Pixie Sticks posted:

Are they not both on good terms with Chikara though?

Doesn't matter, you cannot only enforce trademark/copyright punitively. Either you show you legally exert intent to protect your intellectual property or you lose to the right to claim it.

You cannot allow your intellectual property to be used freely for over a decade and then change your mind on one guy because you're mad.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

what if Jervis has been selling meth while in Gimmick?

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
the jervis gimmick is cursed!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I love that the first Jervis supposedly got kicked out of the company for rummaging through wallets backstage and continued using the gimmick in other feds, but it's the current one who's getting legally banned.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

coconono posted:

what if Jervis has been selling meth while in Gimmick?

it'd be the best work he's ever done

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Doesn't matter, you cannot only enforce trademark/copyright punitively. Either you show you legally exert intent to protect your intellectual property or you lose to the right to claim it.

You cannot allow your intellectual property to be used freely for over a decade and then change your mind on one guy because you're mad.

This is both factually accurate but also annoyingly doesn't stop people from doing it All. The. Time. It's stupid bullshit is what it is, I don't care what "insiders" know that we don't. If Quack is doing it as some gently caress you to the guy currently known as Jervis, he might be justified in doing so on a macro level, but the way he's going about it is both bullshit and likely the only recourse that Quack has.

I'd also have a lot more sympathy/benefit of the doubt to give if there weren't tons of documented examples of Quack being like, McMahon-level petty about certain things.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Also, the guy doing the Jervis gimmick really seems to be just a really good dude all told. Either that or he just is really, really into keeping kayfabe.

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian

Capsaicin posted:

Also, the guy doing the Jervis gimmick really seems to be just a really good dude all told. Either that or he just is really, really into keeping kayfabe.

100% true. The guy was always fun to talk to, keeps in character during moments I won't share but were some of the best moments I've had at wrestling shows. He understands how to have fun with the Jervis character, and even in his other personas, just loves keeping the show going at all times.

edit: wondering if this can be followed with quack seeking damages for any income made using the jervis cottonbelly name/brand outside of chikara.

DeNomolos fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jul 7, 2017

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I don't know how accurate this is, but I was talking to someone who knows this stuff better than I do and supposedly this is the gist:

- Chikara has a game in development for forever. Jervis is going to be in the game.

- Guy playing Jervis has a falling out with Chikara over a number of things. His non-Jervis twitter rants about Chikara. He wrestles as Jervis elsewhere with no issue.

- Chikara game gets greenlit thanks to crowd-funding. Jervis is still intended to be on the roster.

- Guy playing Jervis doesn't like this because he cut ties with them. Wants them to take him out of the game or give him money for it or something along those lines.

- Quack says, "Haha, no. You're not even the first Jervis. You don't own the gimmick, I do. In fact..." then goes and trademarks the gimmick.

So it's less about "You can't be Jervis elsewhere anymore" and more about "We're putting Chikara's character in Chikara's video game and you have no say in the matter."

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gavok posted:

I don't know how accurate this is, but I was talking to someone who knows this stuff better than I do and supposedly this is the gist:

- Chikara has a game in development for forever. Jervis is going to be in the game.

- Guy playing Jervis has a falling out with Chikara over a number of things. His non-Jervis twitter rants about Chikara. He wrestles as Jervis elsewhere with no issue.

- Chikara game gets greenlit thanks to crowd-funding. Jervis is still intended to be on the roster.

- Guy playing Jervis doesn't like this because he cut ties with them. Wants them to take him out of the game or give him money for it or something along those lines.

- Quack says, "Haha, no. You're not even the first Jervis. You don't own the gimmick, I do. In fact..." then goes and trademarks the gimmick.

So it's less about "You can't be Jervis elsewhere anymore" and more about "We're putting Chikara's character in Chikara's video game and you have no say in the matter."

Sounds pretty credible, has lots of familiar story beats: Chikara guy overestimating his worth elsewhere, Quack being a petty jackoff, a wrestling company loving with somebody's livelihood, etc.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Sounds pretty credible, has lots of familiar story beats: Chikara guy overestimating his worth elsewhere, Quack being a petty jackoff, a wrestling company loving with somebody's livelihood, etc.

What part of that story involves Quack being a jackoff and loving with Jervis' livelihood?

If anything, that version of events make Jervis sound like the rear end in a top hat because he is trying to hit up Chikara for money to use a gimmick that they gave to him and let him keep using

I also appreciate that we are keeping kayfabe about who 2nd Jervis is despite it being super obvious

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 9, 2017

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Until this situation was explained in any detail I didn't even know there had Been 3 Jervises

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

Until this situation was explained in any detail I didn't even know there had Been 3 Jervises

There's three?

I thought that there was first one (thief guy) and second guy (angry guy)

As far as I can tell Chikara doesn't use the character anymore

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
with this being chikara, what are the chances this is a long con?

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Capsaicin posted:

with this being chikara, what are the chances this is a long con?

with how condron's buried quack at every chance, i doubt it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

with how condron's buried quack at every chance, i doubt it.

What does Condron have to do with this we are talking about the completely different person Jervis Cottonbelly.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

It's all a bit moot though.

The Chikara game will never ever be released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Skinty McEdger posted:

It's all a bit moot though.

The Chikara game will never ever be released.

It kind of has to be released considering the colossally bad look that would come from it being part of a successful crowdfunding thing. At the very least, they have updates on it every now and then, both in emails to backers and on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/ChikaraAAW/status/883425135679733760

• Locked thread