Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

DaveKap posted:

It was weird watching the latest episode while being caught up on the manga. When Reiner talks about getting a promotion I totally thought he was talking about in the Marley army. I totally forgot it was a part of him breaking down over his split lives and PSTD.

I don't even see why that means he's definitely crazy to the other characters. He could have meant that. If he'd said ""I wonder if Commander Darius Zachary himself puts a medal on my chest" then sure, he's nuts, but surely Eren can imagine there's some kind of rank hierarchy in the mysterious Hometown military.

Beefstew posted:

I haven't watched the dub, but her name should be probably be "Hansi", honestly. It's a gender-neutral German name, and I imagine "Hanji" is a mistranslation that became official, a la the title.

And the official wiki even puts her name as Hange Zoe despite it obviously being the other way around because Zoe is a given name and Hange is a fake name which is clearly a surname.
Hell didn't people used to insist she was possibly male? What was the evidence? Just headcannon smiths running loose?

--------------
Dammit I hope an anime only viewer catches that Eren doesn't know what a monkey is while the other three do.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 11:05 on May 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I don't even see why that means he's definitely crazy to the other characters. He could have meant that. If he'd said ""I wonder if Commander Darius Zachary himself puts a medal on my chest" then sure, he's nuts, but surely Eren can imagine there's some kind of rank hierarchy in the mysterious Hometown military.
The only thing that throws it off is Bert's demeanor, which I assume is why Eren assumed PTSD poo poo was happening. Though before they started talking about it, I figured Bert's demeanor was because he knows the Children of Ymir can't actually gain ranks or something weird like that.

Hey also since the manga I was reading had a poor translation and it turns out Ymir was the Jaw titan then that means she was eaten offscreen and her letter to Christa is the last we'll ever hear from her, huh? At least until we get more memories from the current Jaw titan. Though to be honest I'm still a little thrown by the fact Ymir didn't actually have a different look pre and post eating the Jaw titan human. Like, if everyone has a specific thing they look like when they go titan, whether it's one of the 9 or not, does that mean Armin isn't going to be huge after eating Bert? But people act like each titan is a specific kind and whoever inherits a specific kind will get its special power. So Armin should now go huge but Ymir should've had weird jaw poo poo going on... right?

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:14 on May 28, 2017

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

DaveKap posted:

Hey also since the manga I was reading had a poor translation and it turns out Ymir was the Jaw titan then that means she was eaten offscreen and her letter to Christa is the last we'll ever hear from her, huh? At least until we get more memories from the current Jaw titan. Though to be honest I'm still a little thrown by the fact Ymir didn't actually have a different look pre and post eating the Jaw titan human. Like, if everyone has a specific thing they look like when they go titan, whether it's one of the 9 or not, does that mean Armin isn't going to be huge after eating Bert? But people act like each titan is a specific kind and whoever inherits a specific kind will get its special power. So Armin should now go huge but Ymir should've had weird jaw poo poo going on... right?

Guess so. I hope Historia goes out of her way to personally eat Galliard so she could coexist with Ymir.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

DaveKap posted:

Though to be honest I'm still a little thrown by the fact Ymir didn't actually have a different look pre and post eating the Jaw titan human. Like, if everyone has a specific thing they look like when they go titan, whether it's one of the 9 or not, does that mean Armin isn't going to be huge after eating Bert? But people act like each titan is a specific kind and whoever inherits a specific kind will get its special power. So Armin should now go huge but Ymir should've had weird jaw poo poo going on... right?

There seems to be some indication that people can be a fit or not a fit for the titan they take. So I suspect Ymir just wasn't a great jaw titan candidate so she couldn't make full use of it's true power or something like that. As opposed to monkey business who has royal blood and is able to take full advantage of his form.

So it's probably a bloodline thing of some kind.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Guess so. I hope Historia goes out of her way to personally eat Galliard so she could coexist with Ymir.

Haha, yesssssss

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

Ymir actually did have a different look pre- and post-Jaw. Once she has it, her titan form is significantly more muscular, and her teeth got all sharp.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I for one certainly didn't imagine that the shifters had any kind of military hierarchy. Probably because Ymir was talking about their "warriors" which gives a totally different feeling.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

genericnick posted:

I for one certainly didn't imagine that the shifters had any kind of military hierarchy. Probably because Ymir was talking about their "warriors" which gives a totally different feeling.

That and saying "Hometown" implied it's just a small community and they're being sent out by some kind of village chief or a mayor, and not that they're soldiers in the military of a large, industrialized nation.

Does anyone know enough to :goonsay: about the Japanese terms being translated as "soldier" and "warrior," and if they have the same connotations as in English? Where a soldier is just someone who's doing their job and will return to their civilian life when the fighting is over, to someone who's life revolves around fighting. Or how one is "civilized" and the other is "barbarous," etc? Because that's slightly weird in the current context unless Marley is really militant, or that the Eldian janissary soldiers are warriors because their entire lives revolve around military service to atone for the crimes of their ethnic forbears.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

And the official wiki even puts her name as Hange Zoe despite it obviously being the other way around because Zoe is a given name and Hange is a fake name which is clearly a surname.
Hell didn't people used to insist she was possibly male? What was the evidence? Just headcannon smiths running loose?
She's fairly androgynous, the manga text never actually states a gender, and when someone asked Isayama he said, "Either one is fine." The anime refers to her as female though.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I make it no secret that I want Historia to go all Inigo Montoya on Galliard. The carnage will be glorious.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Gruckles posted:

She's fairly androgynous, the manga text never actually states a gender, and when someone asked Isayama he said, "Either one is fine." The anime refers to her as female though.

Ah okay. Cool.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, that was the other thing. Armin was crispy-fried to a delicious golden brown in a matter of seconds, and THEN fell a hundred feet onto a roof. The flash-frying alone would kill literally any normal human, which Armin was at the time, whether from sheer shock or severe burning of the lungs(I believe it mentions his lungs getting hosed up, even). You don't get seared to perfection to the point where all your hair and clothes burn off and your lungs get poached and survive without IMMEDIATE medical treatment, and even then I'd say it's a tossup. And then he fell a hundred feet onto a roof, which again would kill basically anyone. This is a series where people have, generally, fairly realistically suffered physical consequences of things like slamming into a building at full speed from their 3DM Gear just completely wrecking them, or where Reiner tried to block Mikasa's sword and his arm got bisected lengthwise. Armin's insane injuries and surviving while they debated who to save rather than just jamming it in him immediately upon finding him(which might've been excusable) was just plain poorly done and one of the bigger gaffes of the series to me.

For what it's worth, it's entirely possible to fall 100 feet and suffer an injury that - while likely ultimately lethal - doesn't kill you within a couple minutes (which I think is about how long it was before they got to him with the elixir). I imagine the same isn't quite as true for his burns, though I think the author just felt the need to give some sort of easy-to-understand visual representation of his injuries.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

That and saying "Hometown" implied it's just a small community and they're being sent out by some kind of village chief or a mayor, and not that they're soldiers in the military of a large, industrialized nation.

Does anyone know enough to :goonsay: about the Japanese terms being translated as "soldier" and "warrior," and if they have the same connotations as in English? Where a soldier is just someone who's doing their job and will return to their civilian life when the fighting is over, to someone who's life revolves around fighting. Or how one is "civilized" and the other is "barbarous," etc? Because that's slightly weird in the current context unless Marley is really militant, or that the Eldian janissary soldiers are warriors because their entire lives revolve around military service to atone for the crimes of their ethnic forbears.

From earlier in the thread: https://imgur.com/a/EEGVD

And yes, for the Eldians, it appears that military service is the only way to get any measure of upwards social mobility and exceptional success means being chosen as one of the titans, which in itself means they'll spend the remaining 13 years of their lives fighting.

forhorglingrads
Aug 14, 2003

Squidster posted:

...does Paradis even have any dogs? We've seen cats, but I don't know that we've seen anyone with any other kind of pet.

I don't remember whether or not I ever saw one in the manga, but there's one in the first 15 seconds of the anime.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

This post in the anime thread scared me half to death because I thought someone from the manga thread was referencing that Eren's titan's name actually being the Attack Titan.

Thank Ymir Fritz God is was just the anime-only OP of the thread reacting to our joke false spoilers. Attack on Titan: even when you think you're not giving spoilers, you're giving spoilers.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

Conspiratiorist posted:

From earlier in the thread: https://imgur.com/a/EEGVD

And yes, for the Eldians, it appears that military service is the only way to get any measure of upwards social mobility and exceptional success means being chosen as one of the titans, which in itself means they'll spend the remaining 13 years of their lives fighting.

From the same interview:

Isayama posted:

In the past, I heard the phrase, "The rival who stands in the way of the main character is the form that the main character should never become, or the brother-like existence that he must surpass." I want to make Zeke a character who is in that position.

okay when did this interview happen. When did we first learn Zeke's name compared to when we learned he was Eren's [half] brother.

Still can't wait for the next/final Zeke-Eren confrontation though :v:

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

It was before the basement reveal.

Re Zeke/Eren confrontation, I'm just picturing Zeke ordering his titans to attack, and to everyone's horror Eren countering with the Coordinate power to have them charge the Marleyan lines instead.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 29, 2017

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The only issue with using the coordinate power is that they'd need to bring Historia to the front lines to use it. That's also why I think that if Zeke does turncoat he won't survive long since he and Eren would be basically unstoppable together.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

Conspiratiorist posted:

It was before the basement reveal.

Re Zeke/Eren confrontation, I'm just picturing Zeke ordering his titans to attack, and to everyone's horror Eren countering with the Coordinate power to have them charge the Marleyan lines instead.

Exactly. Well, after Eren's gotten himself close enough to Zeke to touch him or something. But honestly, I'm more looking forward to Eren gettin' his rage on. It's been a while. The new season has reminded me how much I enjoy Eren's impotent rage, just as much as his PTSD after regaining his titan memories--man, he couldn't even enjoy the ocean. And the way that he had been behaving remarkably similar to how the Reiss family would, despite not actually being under the first king's control, what with the staring off into space, seemingly possessed by someone else, minor freakouts when the subject of the walls were brought up. I really miss that in the manga. That's the biggest thing I don't like about this new direction, besides the threads Isayama left hanging that surely would've been resolved during the timeskipping, but I agree that it seems like it's setting up for an Attack On Titan attack on Marley which also seems like it'd be pretty badass.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

RatHat posted:

The only issue with using the coordinate power is that they'd need to bring Historia to the front lines to use it.

Why?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Did you miss where Eren realized he needs to be touching someone with royal blood to use the power?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

RatHat posted:

Did you miss where Eren realized he needs to be touching someone with royal blood to use the power?

*snaps fingers*

I did. Bad translations, you see.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

RatHat posted:

The only time we've seen him use the power, he was shielding Mikasa. Christa was nearby, but certainly not in contact.

I think being in contact with Christa lets Eren access the memory of folks he ate, but doesn't supercharge his powers.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Squidster posted:

The only time we've seen him use the power, he was shielding Mikasa. Christa was nearby, but certainly not in contact.

I think being in contact with Christa lets Eren access the memory of folks he ate, but doesn't supercharge his powers.

he was in contact with the titan that was his dad's former wife. she was part of a branch of the royal family that didn't leave for the island

that's why he flashes back to when he punched the titan

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

RatHat posted:

The only issue with using the coordinate power is that they'd need to bring Historia to the front lines to use it. That's also why I think that if Zeke does turncoat he won't survive long since he and Eren would be basically unstoppable together.

Zeke wouldn't last long simply because he's been a Shifter for so long. He's already groomed his replacement, and this next mission is his last chance to do anything.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Squidster posted:

He was touching the smiley titan that ate his mom, which turned out to be Grisha's former wife, and of royal blood.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Astro Ambulance posted:

Ymir actually did have a different look pre- and post-Jaw. Once she has it, her titan form is significantly more muscular, and her teeth got all sharp.

Yeah I guess she did get some muscle and that was it. The bloodline thing makes more sense but then that makes it all the funnier that Ymir, despite being put in such a position of reverence to the Eldians, was never actually royal at all.

RatHat posted:

He was touching the smiley titan that ate his mom, which turned out to be Grisha's former wife, and of royal blood.
Which is one of the biggest, most annoyingly craziest and unlikely coincidences in this entire freaking story. You guys complain about Armin falling 100 feet while burnt to a crisp and surviving, this is way worse. I hope it's explained that there are still base instincts of the humanity inside the titan and that she actually had Grisha's scent in mind and has been following it around. That would make sense when you consider how titans always seem to sniff humans out and you can pretty much never hide from them.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:52 on May 29, 2017

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

DaveKap posted:

Which is one of the biggest, most annoyingly craziest and unlikely coincidences in this entire freaking story. You guys complain about Armin falling 100 feet while burnt to a crisp and surviving, this is way worse. I hope it's explained that there are still base instincts of the humanity inside the titan and that she actually had Grisha's scent in mind and has been following it around. That would make sense when you consider how titans always seem to sniff humans out and you can pretty much never hide from them.

That is it, though.

Titans both a) have a built-in human radar, and b) retain some measure of human sapience and memories, enough that they sometimes talk (Connie's mom) or outright betray their titan instincts to do really weird poo poo (Ymir's priest).

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
How does Luke find Yoda on an entire planet? How does Madoka run into Hitomi across an entire city? Why does Neo get picked up by Morpheus before the agents, and why does he accidentally unshackle the one program that could destroy the whole matrix? Why does the One Ring fall into the hands of the one person who could resist its influence?

Fiction is kind of dependent on improbable events all aligning in its setting.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
There's been people surviving falls from planes with malfunctioning parachutes.

I can buy Armin, a guy trained to use extremely dangerous 3D maneuver gear that should cause way more injuries and accidents than they do, to land safely, or at least with minimum harm. As for the scorching, remember that after Hiroshima and Nagasaki there were people walking around while melting without dying that they called zombies. Some of them loving survived melting! Twice!

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
Improbable events happen in real life all the time (with 7 billion people around...), but it doesn't mean it makes for good fiction. I did a writing course once and it was one of the things explicitly stated to avoid...

However, the problem isn't just that something unlikely happened (Armin surviving), it's that by reversing what we think has happened (Armin dying), it makes you distrustful of the story and thus cheapens the impact of anything happening subsequently. That wasn't the case for Eren being in contact with the smiling titan, because at the time we didn't know what was going on.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I dunno if it cheapens things much more than Erwin taking a boulder to the face and not being quite dead.

Who survived never mattered, they will fulfill the same role is what it tells us.

Honestly I'm happier with us keeping the original trio, than trade it for some guy who was basically filling the role of a desperate mentor.

Green Tea Erotica
May 5, 2010

Anything you can do I can do BETTER
I think the whole matter would've been handled fine if they removed the Levi needs to make a choice part. I think it would've been a good suspenseful and tragic plotpoint if we knew Erwin was alive but before Levi is notified he healed Armin.
Then you can keep the reader on edge without the "Who does he chooooose?!?" And still have Erwin giving dying words to Levi. I suppose then you'd have, "Is he going to make it in time?" But that probably would've played out a little better.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

levi being the one that ultimately decides who lives is the only reason there was any suspense at all. if he hadn't been there, there's no way that random guy would have stopped eren and mikasa from choosing armin. levi being wholly in erwin's camp is why there's doubt at all

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

How does Luke find Yoda on an entire planet? How does Madoka run into Hitomi across an entire city? Why does Neo get picked up by Morpheus before the agents, and why does he accidentally unshackle the one program that could destroy the whole matrix? Why does the One Ring fall into the hands of the one person who could resist its influence?

Fiction is kind of dependent on improbable events all aligning in its setting.
The force. No idea who Madoka and Hitomi are. Because the Oracle can read The Matrix and explained it to Morpheus. Isn't a coincidence and not sure why is even in this list. The ring went through a few different hands before it found Frodo and even then Frodo couldn't resist it in the end so isn't a coincidence.

The problem isn't just that Grisha's ex found Grisha's residence and wife, it's that she was also a part of the party of Titans which chased after Eren. One of them alone is fine but both of them combined is ridiculous.

Conspiratiorist posted:

That is it, though.

Titans both a) have a built-in human radar, and b) retain some measure of human sapience and memories, enough that they sometimes talk (Connie's mom) or outright betray their titan instincts to do really weird poo poo (Ymir's priest).
Right but specific-human radar? Like, ability to sniff out just one specific person? This would be the only time a mindless titan could do it.

Okay, whatever, I'm still confused about something concerning titan transformation and their classes and whatnot.
Does royal blood make you take on the full characteristics of your class of titan?
See, I did the comparison of Ymir above and then I went back and checked out Eren pre-Attack Titan.

Which was only 3 years prior to him transforming again into the Attack Titan, which is way taller and muscular.
So... is his Attack Titan form not the "true" form of the titan? Does royal blood only matter for the Founder titan? Are these questions still up in the air or am I just mixing things up? I'm mainly confused because it's not like Bert or Reiner were royal. I really don't get how royal blood matters in any of this. Hell, what happens if a male titan eats the female titan? I'm gonna go with "I'm overthinking how titan classes work" here.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 30, 2017

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The form of the 9 titans seem to be very similar among a specific type(Though not identical. Owl, Grisha, and Eren's Attack Titan forms are all a bit different). And yeah the bloodline stuff hasn't been explained yet. It seems specific bloodlines are better/worse for specific titans and royal blood does seem to unlock new abilities in the non-founder titans(at least for the Beast titan) but that's about all we know. But you don't necessarily need to be special to inherit one of the 9, like with Eren and Armin for example. Maybe Ymir had a bloodline that was "tainted" with non-Eldian blood(which would be quite ironic considering people were worshiping her).

RatHat fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 30, 2017

Catalina
May 20, 2008

RatHat posted:

The form of the 9 titans seem to be very similar among a specific type(Though not identical. Owl, Grisha, and Eren's Attack Titan forms are all a bit different). And yeah the bloodline stuff hasn't been explained yet. It seems specific bloodlines are better/worse for specific titans and royal blood does seem to unlock new abilities in the non-founder titans(at least for the Beast titan) but that's about all we know. But you don't necessarily need to be special to inherit one of the 9, like with Eren and Armin for example. Maybe Ymir had a bloodline that was "tainted" with non-Eldian blood(which would be quite ironic considering people were worshiping her).

There is one point in the Marleyan version of history where they say that the Eldians forced people from other races to bear their children, so that they could make more titans. :stare:
Also, Eren Kruger said that he didn't know how the Attack Titan worked, but he chose Grisha because it was the one that always wanted to advance forward and fight.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

RatHat posted:

Thank you for this. I'm glad my confusion isn't just me mixing up details and bad translations.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Another factor could be the the serum used to transform them into a titan. We know there are different types of serums, so maybe there are "purer" serums that make you compatible to inherit one of the nine once transformed. Alternatively, it could just be there are nine serums for each of the nine titans and you only get the full powers of the titan if you use the right serum. Or maybe the serums are made with the blood of the incumbent titan shifters, and that is what enables the full transfer of powers and memories if the successor gets the right serum as a kind of pseudo-genetic inheritance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

A new chapter should appear soonish, right?