Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Polka_Rapper posted:

Using a Raw rear end at the moment but Muscle Wizard sounds a lot more fun.

IIRC the Raw rear end is now worse than other options like the Raw Longsword. A Fire Longsword will also carry you a long way, as long as you understand that when you hit an area with a bunch of lava and fire-spewing demons you'd better have something else to switch to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Astora's Straight Sword is now basically useless at all stages of the game. Just grab the Broadsword and infuse it with Raw if you need a decent caster weapon that you can buff.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

skasion posted:

Black fireball spam works okay.

I went later on in my runthrough and Black Fire Orb melted them so fast that Cuculus didn't have a chance to even take out her whip

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
With the current final meta, for someone who is not that great at PvP but MIIIIIIGHT do some eventually but currently is doing a PvE strength build,

Prisoner's Chain or Grundyr's Halberd?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

With the current final meta, for someone who is not that great at PvP but MIIIIIIGHT do some eventually but currently is doing a PvE strength build,

The chain got rebalanced recently so that the downside is much less onerous, and it's become quite common in PvP builds.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Halberd is a good PvP weapon with 66 strength that you can pick up in ng+

I swore by chain before it got buffed

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

IIRC the Raw rear end is now worse than other options like the Raw Longsword. A Fire Longsword will also carry you a long way, as long as you understand that when you hit an area with a bunch of lava and fire-spewing demons you'd better have something else to switch to.

Vermain posted:

Astora's Straight Sword is now basically useless at all stages of the game. Just grab the Broadsword and infuse it with Raw if you need a decent caster weapon that you can buff.

Well shoot. At least these enemies in Smouldering Lake are dropping a lot of shards. It's +6 or +7 right now so I'd need to upgrade something else to the same level. I've been buffing it with Carthus Flame Arc most of the time and it's been working okay.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I have a cheating question for TallGeese, if he's still here.

Do you know if changing the values for your character's facial appearance and going online afterward will trigger a softban? The stuff that's normally on the sliders in the character creation menu, like facial balance, chin length, etc. I tried googling for this a few times but can't find any information about it.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Cyberventurer posted:

Do you know if changing the values for your character's facial appearance and going online afterward will trigger a softban? The stuff that's normally on the sliders in the character creation menu, like facial balance, chin length, etc. I tried googling for this a few times but can't find any information about it.

you uh

you realize this is a thing you can do legitimately in-game right

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Yeah but doing it in CE means I don't have to follow some of the game's constraints on what value changes get forced on others. :3:

Edit: Basically, I'm hoping I can make something monstrous like this again, minus the head size.

Cyberventurer fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 25, 2017

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
GODDAMN YOU FRIEDE. I took down Gael in one shot, and this fuckin' boss... I didn't expect that third form.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Cyberventurer posted:

Sorry, nobody really knows for sure. I doubt it.

It doesn't matter, because even if you do the account will get unbanned eventually for good.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I'd say chain, the halberd is outclassed in its niche by the splitleaf greatsword pretty much completely, and most people have figured out the WA parriable frames by now

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
What do you guys think if the greatsword/dagger combo boss weapon?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
fun and ok, not great.
but if you don't already have a boss weapon, you might as well get it because it'll upgrade with scales instead of normal titanite so you can upgrade it alongside a non-boss weapon without having to split resources

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What do you guys think if the greatsword/dagger combo boss weapon?

fun weapon and good in some casese in pve. for example npc invaders have no idea how to handle the weapons special move. will probably kick idiot players asses too since they have no idea how to deal with it. any experienced player will just backstab you if you use the special move too much or just parry it. the weapon also relies on stunlocking and it cant really stunlock people in maximum poise mode using ultra greatswords and greathammers so thats the hard counter to it.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 07:50 on May 25, 2017

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Does Midir have a tail drop?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Sleekly posted:

Does Midir have a tail drop?

I don't think anything's had a tail drop since DS1.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Tallgeese posted:

Sorry, nobody really knows for sure. I doubt it.

It doesn't matter, because even if you do the account will get unbanned eventually for good.

does this mean cheaters only get softbanned once and only once?

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Paracelsus posted:

I don't think anything's had a tail drop since DS1.

I still always wonder though and this fight is rough.
I'll just continue trying to hit him in the face a lot then.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Did Kalameet have one?

If it did, I didn't bother because at that point I was at NG +5 on my original dude, and I didn't want to take any chances.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I have some partial playthroughs I've never finished. Got a sl 100~ish magic sorcerer dude who is just starting ringed city (which I haven't beaten yet on any dude)

A 75ish pyro guy starting ashes of ariandel I think.

45 str/fai guy at the cathedral of the deep

and a 25 dude somewhere near undead village who is basically dex

I kinda wanna delete a couple and consolidate to one sorc, one pyro, one melee. Not sure if I should go str or dex or a mixture.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Fargin Icehole posted:

Did Kalameet have one?

If it did, I didn't bother because at that point I was at NG +5 on my original dude, and I didn't want to take any chances.

Yeah, the obsidian greatsword. It was actually really good. Low requirements, no scaling, high base damage and an AoE strong attack. Definitely a bit of a pain to get though.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

MohShuvuu posted:

does this mean cheaters only get softbanned once and only once?

Pretty much. It's quite strange.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

vandalism posted:

I kinda wanna delete a couple and consolidate to one sorc, one pyro, one melee. Not sure if I should go str or dex or a mixture.

If you want to use big smashy weapons go STR, if you want to use precise stabby weapons go DEX, if you want to go Quality aka STR/DEX then you can use whatever the hell you want, really.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The end of Edwad Emberpants is going loving amazing. Gael has broken all three of them and now he's actually using a good build.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I like how the winning attempt after 3-4 hours of flailing was pretty much an essential highlight reel of how i felt during the best bosses of the series, the adrenaline rush comes across really well

also they're doing bloodborne next, because of course :)

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 08:19 on May 26, 2017

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
You don't understand, Gael hates the cold. HE HATES THE COLD.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

When I switched to vordt's I finally beat gael

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
You guys weren't kidding about Pestilent Mercury vs Midir god drat

(picture of boss life bar with a five figure damage number above it)

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So I haven’t played this in ages, I remember settling on SL80 (Lower than whatever the “Community PvP cap” was) with +8 gear tops let me still see plenty of signs and get summoned to help no password pubbies out with the Twin princes, Nameless king, some guy wanting to fight the consumed king who had clearly just found and put on the claws for his ninja cosplay, etc.

Have the wacky SL+Weapon level calculations for random co-op gotten any notable shakeups of late? Has the DLCs I’ve still yet to play changed things up expected levels wise?

I’m terrible at making anything even close to resembling an efficient build (Even if I did clear the Nameless king and all the rest of pre DLC just fine). But I do like the general idea of being able to have as wide a no password summon range for as many “mid“ to “late” game areas as possible so I can help out those regular rear end players who are not following a stringent flowchart and rushing some nebulous “Community endgame PvP cap with +10 weapons"

(I’m also remembering where I last left off on my main save, I hosed up my first respec and got my 15/10 Faith/Int split backwards :downs:)

Okay, I want to cast lower miracles/pyromancies/utility sorceries. I want to wear mediumish armors. Carry a huge shield. Carry a greatsword/shortsword/longbow. Two casting implements. Be able to use dragonslayer bows if I feel like it because they are cool, and- :spergin:

How did I ever beat this game? At least my love affair with the Flamberge means I’ve got some burned in muscle memory of how to chop and dive my way through with slower weapons and sub par stats/upgrades.

EDIT: Also, does anybody know where to dig up current equipment upgrade stats? Swinging by the old fextralife wiki and there's jack poo poo for even basic stuff like Knights and Kite shield anymore except their default numbers. Wikidot seems to have most numbers still around at least, even if some of my favorite shields aesthetically are missing the upgrade stats.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 27, 2017

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
I was wanting to fight Gael again, so I tried putting my sign down to get summoned, but wow, that fight is nowhere near as good when there's 3-4 on your side. Gael was slipping and sliding all over the place. Host died on both attempts too.

My Swordspear faith guy was in NG + so I rushed through the first DLC and decided I wanted go get him to Gael. NG+ things hit pretty hard. It took me more tries than I expected to get down the Harald Knight stairs.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
So I reinstalled DS3 to play the DLCs and it turns out I'd been an idiot and New game+'d shortly before uninstalling the game last

is there a way to skip ahead to the DLCs or did I throw this money out the window

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Bohemian Nights posted:

So I reinstalled DS3 to play the DLCs and it turns out I'd been an idiot and New game+'d shortly before uninstalling the game last

is there a way to skip ahead to the DLCs or did I throw this money out the window

The 1st DLC starts at the Cleansing Chapel which doesn't take that long to get to. The 2nd DLC can be accessed either after you beat the last boss of the 1st DLC, or just before the last boss of the base game.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

7c Nickel posted:

The 1st DLC starts at the Cleansing Chapel which doesn't take that long to get to. The 2nd DLC can be accessed either after you beat the last boss of the 1st DLC, or just before the last boss of the base game.

Alright, cool, thanks. Only knew about the latter way to access the content. I was going to skip first DLC but it sounds like that would be the fastest way to get to the 2nd that I heard was actually good, so I suppose i'll do that then

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I think they're both "good", the first is just a little meager (unless you're really into the pvp arena additions, or have incredibly poor sense of direction and get lost in certain areas).

Also they're the usual dlc difficulty bump, so you're going to have a lot of fun with a fresh ng+ character. I still haven't played them on regular ng, maybe i'll try that at some point.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It's interesting the way Souls still feel so singular. I started Nioh recently. It's very good, the combat is fairly fast paced , kinda BB-ish but it really lacks the sense of story that Souls games have. It feels kinda mashed together in the way DS2 does.

I love that Souls-like games are a thing but I think all of Froms games are miles better than the imitators.

this is my problem with souls-likes. they just look at the souls games at a surface level but don't understand all the stuff that makes the series so much better than anything else out there. it's just dressing - there's no meat to the imitators.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 13:02 on May 28, 2017

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen has an entire endgame area that is effectively its own little souls-tribute and it does a pretty nice job. As you progress you unlock shortcuts back to the hub, monsters can and will gently caress you up in a matter of seconds, merchants who have no drat business being located where they are, you'll be dropping piles of resources to upgrade your gear, and the overall atmosphere is grim as all hell.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Groovelord Neato posted:

this is my problem with souls-likes. they just look at the souls games at a surface level but don't understand all the stuff that makes the series so much better than anything else out there. it's just dressing - there's no meat to the imitators.

I think the main problem is that a lot of people are really quick to point out similarities to Souls games, however superficial, and some developers (possibly more publishers, because they do advertising usually) play up their inspiration, which no doubt is there, but does not really affect the game as much as they'd want you think.

Nioh, for example, is a drat fine game, but if you played Souls games or BB you'll find it's a very different experience and enjoyable for different reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

Of course, "look at the surface level" and "no meat to the imitators" describes the whole Dark series compared to Demon's Souls, too, really.