Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Game feels great with the pro controller . Cant play for long with the joy cons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
I ultimately passed the Yiga Clan stealth portion by killing the last two guards (and their underlings) when I messed up and didn't want to go down without a fight. It took out all three charges of my Daruk's Protection and a couple of well-placed dodges, but there by the grace of God went I.

Alxprit posted:

If you have any Ancient Arrows, you can delete the guards from existence.

I've never used a single ancient arrow. :cripes: I always forget about them.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
I had three full stamina wheels by the time I got there, so I climbed the upper walls.

The one video I saw where someone decided to fight their way through the Yiga Hideout, they brought a Blizzard Rod, and iced the Blademasters en masse.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Is rain random or is it the games way of saying "gently caress off we don't want you climbing into this area yet".

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Frankston posted:

Is rain random or is it the games way of saying "gently caress off we don't want you climbing into this area yet".

There's a few scripted rain spots, like the Zora region before you deal with the divine beast, but otherwise it's mostly random. The Akkala region seems to be particularly rainy, however.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Frankston posted:

It's permanently on in a couple of areas (until you clear that area), but otherwise random. Some places have more rain than others, though

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Ziddar posted:

There's a few scripted rain spots, like the Zora region before you deal with the divine beast, but otherwise it's mostly random. The Akkala region seems to be particularly rainy, however.

I think that's intentional, to make the torch lighting sequence challenging/annoying.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I had an issue where I really wanted to climb a cliff in the South East but it would start raining as soon as I got near it. Walk 20 feet back, sunny. Walk up to the cliff, rain.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also it never rains in the desert, but it has sandstorms which are worse than rain so welp

Taikuri
Mar 6, 2009

So it doesn't try to shitpost or anything?

Nope, it just lurks there. Completely harmless.
I finally did the 4th divine beast after 105 hours of gameplay.

Impa then told me I should hurry to Zelda

I told her she can wait till hour 300, I have only found 77 shrines, 328 koroks, and got 5 regions not explored, including Hyrule Castle

Game of the Year every year for a decade, until we get BotW2

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Also it never rains in the desert, but it has sandstorms which are worse than rain so welp

I actually liked the three shrine quests involving navigating sandstorm without map I am weird like that

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I've played the game for like 100 hours and beat Ganon and have been all over the map and done most of the side quests and shrines and all that poo poo but I've only found 100 Koroks

blows my mind that there are 800 more out there that I'll never find

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Rain is very common in the southeast part of the map, but once you visit Zora's Domain you get equipment that can help you circumvent the climbing mechanic. It's something I often forgot about, but it's there.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Kaubocks posted:

I've played the game for like 100 hours and beat Ganon and have been all over the map and done most of the side quests and shrines and all that poo poo but I've only found 100 Koroks

blows my mind that there are 800 more out there that I'll never find

Finally got my 120th shrine yesterday (and found the plaque I was supposed to read to tick off my 42nd Shine Quest today), and I'm still at am only 281 Korok seeds.

Oh well. At least I've got my weapon slots maxed. Though they're full of one-handed and two-handed Lynel weapons.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
To answer someone's question I have the stealth suit and I've upgraded it twice. I'll keep trying.

As for the OST I get the argument for it being immersive. I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying that I don't like it. Weirdly enough, I like the fight music on its own, but as a battle song it does nothing for me.

Bits of the more cinematic pieces are nice but I find the lonely silence sprinkled with some piano here and there just doesn't do it. If I'm wandering for hours I at least like the option to have nice music. I'd pay any amount to have something similar to FFXV's MP3 player that could let me listen to older Zelda soundtracks while wandering. I mean, hell, the slate has GPS and a camera, I think that option would be kinda neat.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Zoran posted:

Rain is very common in the southeast part of the map, but once you visit Zora's Domain you get equipment that can help you circumvent the climbing mechanic. It's something I often forgot about, but it's there.

Waterfalls aren't liberally sprinkled around the world, though.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

ProjektorBoy posted:

Waterfalls aren't liberally sprinkled around the world, though.

But they're all over the southeast.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

SylvainMustach posted:

As for the OST I get the argument for it being immersive. I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying that I don't like it. Weirdly enough, I like the fight music on its own, but as a battle song it does nothing for me.

Bits of the more cinematic pieces are nice but I find the lonely silence sprinkled with some piano here and there just doesn't do it. If I'm wandering for hours I at least like the option to have nice music. I'd pay any amount to have something similar to FFXV's MP3 player that could let me listen to older Zelda soundtracks while wandering. I mean, hell, the slate has GPS and a camera, I think that option would be kinda neat.

The music in games is there to enhance/create emotion in the game. Considering that this is a hyrule that's been poo poo kicked for 100 years, it really accomplishes what it's meant to do (including the bits where there's no music).

It's not a great soundtrack to sit and listen to without the game play, but that's really not what it's meant for.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I always find Korok seeds in waves. There are definitely a whole bunch that I'll never find until the DLC comes out (and even then I'd probably need help) but I'll be exploring and then bam, 4-5 Koroks right in a row. I think I've found almost 100 in the past week or so while I was hunting for armor upgrade ingredients.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Do charges of Revali's Gale refresh individually or do I have to use them all up to start the timer?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Do charges of Revali's Gale refresh individually or do I have to use them all up to start the timer?

You always have to use them all up same for the master sword, it's really stupid

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

You gotta use all of it. Same goes for every other champion abilities

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Since I was the third in a row with the same answer, I'll edit this to say I've got 108 shrines but only 4 shrine quests left. Got a bit of hunting to do yet apparently. I haven't counted how many of the quests I've unlocked, but I have to think with all the wandering I've done the rest must be quests. I'll be very surprised if the slate sensor picks up a shrine again.

Winifred Madgers fucked around with this message at 06:49 on May 29, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

You always have to use them all up same for the master sword, it's really stupid

I literally just got the master sword myself and was about to ask how much I should be using it. That's dumb, now I've got Giant Robotic Crab Syndrome :(

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Cojawfee posted:

I had an issue where I really wanted to climb a cliff in the South East but it would start raining as soon as I got near it. Walk 20 feet back, sunny. Walk up to the cliff, rain.

sometimes i find the weather transitions kind of abrupt, so it might just be that the cliff is in a very rainy area and walking 20 ft back is another area for the game.

when it rains, you will slip down every 5th/6th climb step or after every jump. So if I have to climb somewhere in the rain and can't find a spot to light a fire and wait it out, my tactic is step-step-step-step-jump slide down, repeat.

also, full climbing gear (upgraded twice) and revali's gale help.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Cojawfee posted:

South East? Was this before beating Vah Ruta? Because that might've been working as intended

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Are precious gems good for anything or are they literally just for selling at shops? I'm hoarding a bunch at the moment but I could do with some rupees.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Frankston posted:

Are precious gems good for anything or are they literally just for selling at shops? I'm hoarding a bunch at the moment but I could do with some rupees.

SELL THEM ALL
MAKE A MILLION DOLLARS
JUST GRIND MORE
BECOME A GOD

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

Frankston posted:

You need them to upgrade some of the armor.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Since I was the third in a row with the same answer, I'll edit this to say I've got 108 shrines but only 4 shrine quests left. Got a bit of hunting to do yet apparently. I haven't counted how many of the quests I've unlocked, but I have to think with all the wandering I've done the rest must be quests. I'll be very surprised if the slate sensor picks up a shrine again.

With 108 shrines and four quests left, the majority of the remaining are not going to be questing shrines. Nearly all shrine quests only point to one shrine, and the one that can think of that does point to more than one shrine, each shrine that is pointed to also has its own separate shrine quest, in addition.

So I'd say /most/ of your remaining shrines are probably non-obvious ordinary shrines that you wandered past because the Shiekah sensor was tracking something else at the time, or because another shrine became obvious when the hidden shrine was hidden.

Of my last four shrines completed, three had no quest atached, Two were just hidden in out-of-the way places I hadn't spent much time exploring, one was the main Zora Domain shrine, whose puzzle I got frustrated with and had eventually quit attempting a month ago, and the last one was a shrine quest with a reputation for extreme frustration that made me a lot more reluctant to try it than I should have been.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ciaphas posted:

I literally just got the master sword myself and was about to ask how much I should be using it. That's dumb, now I've got Giant Robotic Crab Syndrome :(

After you use it to fight use it for its true purpose: hitting rocks and trees for that sweet loot.

Seriously though it takes forever to break, especially in a story area. If it gets low just break it for the cooldown, it isn't long.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

housefly posted:

That's what I suspected, thanks.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

housefly posted:

Assuming you ignore jewelry/circlets and amibo armer, and try to get everything to level 4, you're eventually going to need...

45 pieces of Amber, 129 Luminous Stones, 45 opals, 15 Rubies, 15 Sapphires, and 30 topazes (along with various other ingredients) to upgrade all the armor in the game.

This (admittedly slightly unintuitive) tool works to calculate what you need for upgrades based on what you have. http://www.volv.org/zelda/

That said, unless you are on a serious upgrade kick, it's definitely not worth attempting to hoard the luminous stones, (though you should probably keep about 10-20 of them to trade for diamonds if you are routinely using Champion weaponry.)

Other gems probably only worth keeping about 10-20 at any one time as well.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

housefly posted:

And to get/upgrade pretty earrings/tiaras from the jeweller if that's your thing.

maltesh posted:

With 108 shrines and four quests left, the majority of the remaining are not going to be questing shrines. Nearly all shrine quests only point to one shrine, and the one that can think of that does point to more than one shrine, each shrine that is pointed to also has its own separate shrine quest, in addition.

Also some of them may be ones you've found but not completed - check for ones on the map with orange centres and blue edges; they only turn full blue once you've got the monk.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
One other question. I don't know if it's spoiler territory or not but, do I have to do anything with Kilton to get him to sell me the dark link gear? I bought everything else from him and he still doesn't have it.

I get that. Well sort of. It doesn't have a sorrowful enough tone for me to match the hyrule getting its rear end kicked in thing. Again, I'm not saying it's bad, I'm saying that it doesn't do a whole lot for me.

And most of the battle themes feel too goofy (on their own I like them quite a bit) and lack urgency for me.

I love everything else though. Well, everything except Zelda and Mipha's voices.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Runcible Cat posted:

And to get/upgrade pretty earrings/tiaras from the jeweller if that's your thing.

Also some of them may be ones you've found but not completed - check for ones on the map with orange centres and blue edges; they only turn full blue once you've got the monk.

Oh yeah, there is one i forgot about - the one at the end of the mine cart track in Death Mountain. It's a longer one and you have to light torches with the blue flame, and I couldn't get the timing right on one of the later puzzles so I left. All the others I think I've done after I found them though.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

SylvainMustach posted:

One other question. I don't know if it's spoiler territory or not but, do I have to do anything with Kilton to get him to sell me the dark link gear? I bought everything else from him and he still doesn't have it.

You need to clear all four beasts.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
What stood out to me about BotW from all the other Zelda games I've played is how you can approach everything differently, literally. I didn't feel like running up the raining path full of electric monsters to Zora's Domain, so I went to Akkala tower, Rivali'd up, and paraglided to the cliffs, and then after some running, just dropped into Zora's Domain.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
I dont know why Im having so much fun filling out the Hyrule Compendium but I feel like a goddamn National Geographic photographer. I spent like 5 minutes poking out from behind a tree to get a photo of an octorock that wasnt stupid looking or obscured by the poo poo they shoot. Some fish were jumping out of the water so I waited to get a photo of them splashing out, then I saw a lizard basking in the sun and was hiding in some bushes so I wouldnt get to close and chase it off. I kinda love that they gave you an iPhone camera. I gently caress around with my own camera phone like that in real life, too. This is like Pokemon Snap except with Zelda. If you get into it youre kinda compelled to try and take good photos.

I love this loving game. It has so many little touches.

Haha, I was doing this during the Zora quest and after I spent forever getting photos of fish jumping out of the water for the cover of Hyrule Rivers and Streams Monthly, I started walking up the path and Sidon jumps out and is like, "HEY! Sorry to bother you but can you please hurry? The Zora are dying, you know!"

Devoyniche fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 29, 2017

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Sono posted:

You need to clear all four beasts.

Ahhh okay. Got it. Thanks a bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

SylvainMustach posted:

I get that. Well sort of. It doesn't have a sorrowful enough tone for me to match the hyrule getting its rear end kicked in thing. Again, I'm not saying it's bad, I'm saying that it doesn't do a whole lot for me.

And most of the battle themes feel too goofy (on their own I like them quite a bit) and lack urgency for me.

I love everything else though. Well, everything except Zelda and Mipha's voices.

This is what makes the soundtrack great.

LoZ games have always been adventure games. Having a somber soundtrack doesn't convey the sense of adventure that the game wants to promote, so instead what you do to to convey that everything has gone to poo poo is that all of the traditional melodies have been lost. The traditional themes are only sporadically present throughout the soundtrack. The classical adventure theme is only present at night, and only on a horse, and only for a bit.

I think it's a brilliant soundtrack that accomplishes a sense of desolation without resorting to a depressing soundtrack by subverting our expectations of a traditional zelda soundtrack.

:goonsay: