Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So Cow+Buff+Wild Boar of the Sea is pretty legit. This is old though so Wild Boar won't buff itself and it can't protect the Chorts from Scorch but still seems pretty good.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 10:00 on May 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

The Gorp posted:

I did it. I beat 4 Clear Skies in a single game.
Fun fact about this deck, you never get a Good Game bonus after the round.

You're a bad person and you should feel bad.
(Has anyone beat that yet?)

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
The ironic thing about that deck is that it performs worse against people with no anti-weather.
Basically all cards need their added weather affect to be on par. People who run no clear skies have it good because when all 3 rows have frost/fog my Rag Nah Roog, Storm and White Frost are dead cards.

The Gorp fucked around with this message at 10:19 on May 28, 2017

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I thought you could stack weather.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

RatHat posted:

no, just replace.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

RatHat posted:

Please don't give CDPR any ideas

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

This is cool, but are the current loading screens just a beta thing? Seems a bit ridiculous to have them between just about every screen even if they are really short.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I love all the Witcher stuff, but I never played Gwent in W3. Looking at some videos this seems like it's much more interesting than hearthstone and such. Guess I'll give it a shot. Are there(or going to be) a shitload of different cards to build decks with? I like variety.

For a public beta there's already a good number of different cards to build your deck with. I would say about as much as HS had at release, it feels like. And every card has a heavier "weight" to it because unlike HS you can count the poo poo cards on the palm of one hand.

Steve2911 posted:

This is cool, but are the current loading screens just a beta thing? Seems a bit ridiculous to have them between just about every screen even if they are really short.

They only last a second on my pc but yeah they are kind of dumb. I'd say they're definitely a beta thing.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Caretaker absolutely brutalizes Queensguard, and weather seems very strong against the disgusting sticky dwarf decks floating around my mmr

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Welp, found RNR in a keg. Still unsure whether I should replace Ciri with it in my Monsters Weather.

Ciri is consistently 14 points of value distributed over 2 rounds without any possible counterplay. RNR is usually 6 to 12 in a single round because even when you use it after the frosts to try and bait clear skies, players do know RNR is probably there too so they'll still eat a frost or 2 to play around it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Nilfgaard looks really fun with their ridiculous deck thinning but those decks are so expensive.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
So I played 10 matches this morning and every single one of them was against weather monsters. Safe to say the meta has been broken.

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

RNR is honestly broken in terms of how strong it is, 6 average damage on board if they can answer, with no upper limit if they can't and on average it's the cost of a bronze card as well - clearing on average is a big loss in tempo, having to clear RNR and to a lesser extent drought really sucks - Ciri is strong, but It's much better to run RNR.

The big problem with gold weathers is that their strength goes way beyond board value, unless you row stack but that just opens you up to biting frost - it’s ridiculously strong in a weather monsters deck.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

brawleh posted:

RNR is honestly broken in terms of how strong it is, 6 average damage on board if they can answer, with no upper limit if they can't and on average it's the cost of a bronze card as well - clearing on average is a big loss in tempo, having to clear RNR and to a lesser extent drought really sucks - Ciri is strong, but It's much better to run RNR.

The big problem with gold weathers is that their strength goes way beyond board value, unless you row stack but that just opens you up to biting frost - it’s ridiculously strong in a weather monsters deck.

But there definitely is an upper limit because the opponent can play around it by placing minions intelligently, or just pass. Not to mention damaged units can sometimes be healed/target dummied back into hand and replayed, RNR is only good in one round, and it's also somewhat more situational than Ciri.

It's still a ridiculously strong card but I don't think it's always the superior choice.

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 28, 2017

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I love all the Witcher stuff, but I never played Gwent in W3. Looking at some videos this seems like it's much more interesting than hearthstone and such. Guess I'll give it a shot. Are there(or going to be) a shitload of different cards to build decks with? I like variety.

There are already easily double, if not triple the rather large amount of cards seen in Witcher 3. There's a lot of variety I've seen, though I also notice that in the low levels, most everyone's drawing from the same card pool still.

In terms of deck variety, each of the five factions seem to be geared towards a specific type of deck, with variant strategies within based on your leader card. Like I play Skellige, but I have a leader who can summon in help when I play him, so I can go light on units and heavier on spells and buff abilities, which I can then use to create a system where I sacrifice cards and lose a round, only to revive my fallen units in the next round, go hard on weather and ailments and overwhelm an enemy for a two-round victory.

However, this is heavily reliant on having a leader card who summons in additional units, giving me a solid ace-in-the-hole. The other cards, King Bran particularly, don't seem nearly as useful, but would also call for me to restructure my deck to accomodate the new powers they bring to the field. There seems to be about 3 leaders per faction right now and they all seem pretty varied, even if every single Scoia player rocks that same lady

So yeah I'd say there's a good amount of variety.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I think going first is a huge deal now. For instance, when i play against a reveal nilf deck if i got first i can get the Savage Bear down, then protect it from the siege card that does damage when revealing with my removal. If i go second i have to remove first and he gets a few turns in where my bear isn't doing damage. That can be the difference on whether i can remove one of his cards or not. Another example is against the Skellige decks with hunters. The person who gets to go first can remove their opponent's bear with the 3 damage from playing the hunter. It really feels like a coinflip some matches.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
What's up with Summoning Circle? I had a choice between it and 2 other absolute crap silvers, so I took it. It seems bugged, sometimes when the opponent has recently used a gold card, it will fizzle out completely (since it can't copy the gold card) instead of creating a copy of whatever the person summoned last. Is there some weird interaction i'm missing here? Twice i've played it in games on round 3 as a late in the round move and it has completely fizzled out and done nothing. I've also played it after gold cards and had it copy the previous one played instead, so the normal interaction is that.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

CJ posted:

I think going first is a huge deal now. For instance, when i play against a reveal nilf deck if i got first i can get the Savage Bear down, then protect it from the siege card that does damage when revealing with my removal. If i go second i have to remove first and he gets a few turns in where my bear isn't doing damage. That can be the difference on whether i can remove one of his cards or not. Another example is against the Skellige decks with hunters. The person who gets to go first can remove their opponent's bear with the 3 damage from playing the hunter. It really feels like a coinflip some matches.

IIRC it's the opposite, going first is still considered a disadvantage in general but that can change depending on your deck archetype, your opponent's, and the kind of starting hand you got.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Lost another game cause Summoning Circle bugged out again. Man, this card is garbage.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

BabyRyoga posted:

Lost another game cause Summoning Circle bugged out again. Man, this card is garbage.

I haven't seen this reported anywhere else so far, are you sure it's a bug? If it is report it, CDPR is pretty quick at responding.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Kawabata posted:

I haven't seen this reported anywhere else so far, are you sure it's a bug? If it is report it, CDPR is pretty quick at responding.

I don't think they intend for the card to fizzle, unless it is played before your opponent has played any units at all in any given match. How do I go about reporting a bug to get an official response on the way the card should work?

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

BabyRyoga posted:

I don't think they intend for the card to fizzle, unless it is played before your opponent has played any units at all in any given match. How do I go about reporting a bug to get an official response on the way the card should work?

There should be a thread/subforum ad hoc in the official forums I think.

Here: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/forum/en/gwent/tech-support-ac

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
so why does nithral's text say "armor 3" and he only gets two armor?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

I would like to have more details of my profile, things like history of matches, Win/lose ratio, % of games played with every faction, etc. I hope they implement that stuff at some point.

GwentTracker tracks this for you http://www.gwent-tracker.com/

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Pro Savage Bear tip: If you ever see a Foltrest deck doing that bullshit with Kaedwani Support buffing, savage bear does damage before the buff goes out, so they end up 1 behind everything else and only buff themselves. Add that to the lest of deck archetypes that gets hosed by the bear.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

CJ posted:

I think the opposite, it feels like going second is actually advantageous since you can keep responding to your opponents plays while they have to try and get value out of being countered. Going first generally feels like you have to go for a generic value play (eg a Resilient unit or something you want in the graveyard or just the highest value card you have) and your opponent might have a counter. That insane 25 strength Nilfgaard gold is the epitome of a killer first turn since your opponent cant do anything except demote it or try to get Brave value.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

BabyRyoga posted:

i've used summoning circle as my first card in second or third rounds and it fizzles

i'm not sure if thats intentional XD

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Flayer posted:

I think the opposite, it feels like going second is actually advantageous since you can keep responding to your opponents plays while they have to try and get value out of being countered. Going first generally feels like you have to go for a generic value play (eg a Resilient unit or something you want in the graveyard or just the highest value card you have) and your opponent might have a counter. That insane 25 strength Nilfgaard gold is the epitome of a killer first turn since your opponent cant do anything except demote it or try to get Brave value.

No if you drop that on your first he'll just pass and you'll probably lose the game.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
T1 Tibor is the worst possible time to play him. You get much more value out of a bronze put into your hand at the start of the game than a bronze you get after your hand is empty in round 3. If they pass after t1 tibor, you also win the round down two cards which is generally worse than losing up two cards.

The epitome of a killer t1 nilfgaard play is calveit into rainfarn+golems into joachim into nilfgaard knight to put you up 30+ points. (Still maybe incorrect because it might be overkill.)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 28, 2017

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
i still enjoy my life in the casual play bowels where turn 1 is life or death and people will use every card in their hand to win it

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired

ShowTime posted:

So I played 10 matches this morning and every single one of them was against weather monsters. Safe to say the meta has been broken.

It's a really popular deck for new players because it's flashy and doesn't take many pieces. The starter deck gives you 2 frost hounds, 2 frostbite and Dagon.
I think the higher you go the less viable it becomes, but it's worthy of attention if only for the fact that the entry door is flooded with the archetype.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

No Wave posted:

T1 Tibor is the worst possible time to play him. You get much more value out of a bronze put into your hand at the start of the game than a bronze you get after your hand is empty in round 3. If they pass after t1 tibor, you also win the round down two cards which is generally worse than losing down two cards.

The epitome of a killer t1 nilfgaard play is calveit into rainfarn+golems into joachim into nilfgaard knight to put you up 30+ points. (Still maybe incorrect because it might be overkill.)

You forgot Roach in there. But yeah folk don't T1 Tibor. Unless you have renew or something.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Electronico6 posted:

You forgot Roach in there. But yeah folk don't T1 Tibor. Unless you have renew or something.

also don't play renew unless you already have 200+ hours of gwent competitive play and are extremely good at deckbuilding

alternatively, don't play renew

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Man Alba Spearmen are good but those lines are pretty bad.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Kawabata posted:

also don't play renew unless you already have 200+ hours of gwent competitive play and are extremely good at deckbuilding

alternatively, don't play renew

why is this

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Renew is good and not very difficult to use, I'm not sure what he's talking about.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Dimeritium Bomb is my favorite Neutral card ever and I can't imagine a deck without it.
Celaeno Harpy is my favorite Monster card ever and I can't imagine a deck without it.
Priestess of Freya is my favorite....

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
Toruviel card has the best art, I use my meteorite on that one.

It doesn't seem like many people play ambush mechanics so it gets forgotten about a lot too

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mr. Pool posted:

Toruviel card has the best art, I use my meteorite on that one.

It doesn't seem like many people play ambush mechanics so it gets forgotten about a lot too

My first upgrades were Celaeno Harpy because it's going to be in all of my monster decks forever and also it makes the egg and baby harpies animated. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Oh I just got Iris, she seems like a super good card.

Took me a sec to remember who she was, and then I got sad. :smith: