Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I think the reason summoning circle isnt playing a unit is because it cant replay golds. It should just play bronze and silver cards, if that is the last unit your opponent played. Dont think it was ever intended to play golds. Otherwise it almost becomes an auto include in every deck as a 5th gold card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Err, anyone have any tips for this Dagon challenge round where he shits out an insane amount of weather? I have like 3 cards that can clear weather and he's dropping fog 5 or 6 times across the rounds and every time it revives those stupid rear end fogger things. I have no idea how I am supposed to beat this, I feel without drawing my weather clears it's basically impossible to outvalue him.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Err, anyone have any tips for this Dagon challenge round where he shits out an insane amount of weather? I have like 3 cards that can clear weather and he's dropping fog 5 or 6 times across the rounds and every time it revives those stupid rear end fogger things. I have no idea how I am supposed to beat this, I feel without drawing my weather clears it's basically impossible to outvalue him.

I just went NR with Foltest, got three Clear Weather, two of the dudes who also clear weather (only had two) and I restarted when I was given first move. First round, he drops fog, you drop Foltest, he drops the witches, pass. After that, you're on your own.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 28, 2017

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

Playing frost monsters and not clearing works pretty well. Ice Giants in particular are really strong if you just accept the fact that your melee row is frosted.
Save golds for the last round as to make weather meaningless during it.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I played a Weather Monsters tweaked deck that runs 3x griffins that clear weather to beat Dagon

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

No Wave posted:

Renew is good and not very difficult to use, I'm not sure what he's talking about.

No Renew the card is very simple but building a deck that employs Renew successfully isn't. There was a lot of theorycrafting about it during the PTR.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I run renew because I opened one and I don't have any other more exciting golds and it's better than royal decree which ends up a dead card in later rounds.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Xtanstic posted:

I run renew because I opened one and I don't have any other more exciting golds and it's better than royal decree which ends up a dead card in later rounds.

Oh it's much better than Decree.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Oops, Decoy doesn't work on Operator.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

RatHat posted:

Oops, Decoy doesn't work on Operator.

Yeah he has the Relentless keyword, so can't be returned to hand

There's bunch of stuff I thought were bugs but are actually just keywords I didn't know about, like "Regressing" on one of the Skellige ships = doesn't retain buffed Strength when it goes to graveyard

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Mr. Pool posted:

Toruviel card has the best art, I use my meteorite on that one.

It doesn't seem like many people play ambush mechanics so it gets forgotten about a lot too
Toruviel is my favorite card right now. I've won a lot of close games because of her, and downright stolen wins from sloppy players using her.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

You know how Foglet cards say they die if you clear the fog on the opposite row?

Turns out they don't if you played fog on them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2FJGLkDPLQ

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Any of you guys coming from hearthstone? Would love to hear some comparisons, thx in advance :buddy:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

dead comedy forums posted:

Any of you guys coming from hearthstone? Would love to hear some comparisons, thx in advance :buddy:

Instead of being a big dumpster fire behind the clown store, it's a fun game

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

No Mods No Masters posted:

Instead of being a big dumpster fire behind the clown store, it's a fun game

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
My Heavy Weather list runs renew for the simple reason that the golds spawn weather when they enter.
It's not a bad card, frankly more interesting than Royal Decree. If you thin your deck through various means (frost hounds, hags, summon all copies) it's pretty consistent at doing work.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ShowTime posted:

I think the reason summoning circle isnt playing a unit is because it cant replay golds. It should just play bronze and silver cards, if that is the last unit your opponent played. Dont think it was ever intended to play golds. Otherwise it almost becomes an auto include in every deck as a 5th gold card.

The problem is that sometimes it copies the card before the gold card, and other times it fizzles. I've had it fizzle as like the 9th move in a round before, with several valid targets having been played at that point. It just fizzles for completely unknown reasons much of the time.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

The ai always goes hard round one until you get like over 15 pts up on it, then it'll think about passing. Use this to make them use all their best cards in the first round. By round two it should pretty much be weathered out at which point the rest of their deck pretty much sucks

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Mr. Pool posted:

Toruviel card has the best art, I use my meteorite on that one.

It doesn't seem like many people play ambush mechanics so it gets forgotten about a lot too

She has an awesomely grim art.

Speaking of Toruviel. What's the best way to go about making an Elf deck?

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Up Circle posted:

i still enjoy my life in the casual play bowels where turn 1 is life or death and people will use every card in their hand to win it

I played with someone that was trying to set up a monstrous round 1, I sent him a cantarella and passed.

I probably need to stop doing this because I heard that for NG control it should be 1, 3 win. But so far I've been winning by throwing the first round.

I guess life and death round 1 players are about to run out soon and I'll need to get my bearings in this whole new brave world.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I don't know how true that is for Nilfgaard. I do alright by going real big in round 1 and then passing, making my opponent go down a couple cards to win, or letting me win the round. Either option is great. I either have a 3 card advantage for the next rounds or win. Imperial Golem is too strong.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Throwing round 2 is getting me a lot of traction

So are Elves and Dwarves gently caress You.dek

I appreciate that this game isn't afraid to just have broken poo poo. Finally, Hearthstone on my PS4.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
The new anti-weather, don't play minions, kinda sorta a meme deck

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Cleared it some time ago and the trick to it is basically that the AI is predictable. With few exceptions it will go for the same thing. Clones first round, that golden weather card on 3rd. It usually maintains a thing like that.

So for first round I would recommend playing to lose. The objective being to let it use as many fogs as it cans. If I remember correctly if you kill the foglets (lacerate/rot tosser/using a unit that clears weather on row). The AI uses the fog again. And if you get ride of at least 3 of her setting weather without using any of your weather clear cards then a lot of the difficulty is over. Always save one first light for 3rd round tho. Always.

Really play some games to lose and you'll notice it has a very set pattern a that it's pretty stupid.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

dead comedy forums posted:

Beyond what the guys above said about devs being better (it's true), I jumped ship during closed beta.

Advantages over HS:
-Easy landmarks each day (win 6 crowns, win 12 crowns) that I prefer over the HS quest system
-As a result of the above, you can accumulate cards faster. You can casually average 1-2 kegs a day easily.
-Each game feels more involved. I play HS on my second monitor while browsing/watching twitch
-Due to rarity restrictions, there is effectively a cap on the cost of a deck
-It genuinely plays like a different game and it's a fun change of pace for someone who's been playing HS since the beta like me

Cons over HS:
-Oh god the UI

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

ShowTime posted:

I don't know how true that is for Nilfgaard. I do alright by going real big in round 1 and then passing, making my opponent go down a couple cards to win, or letting me win the round. Either option is great. I either have a 3 card advantage for the next rounds or win. Imperial Golem is too strong.

Yeah that's what I do too. My objective is pretty much to get card advantage on the first round. Either via cantarella or by a really good starter and pass, hoping what I created is at least worth some 3 cards or so. But for some reason I've seen that you're supposed to win first round, lose second, win third.

I've won a lot more than Ive lost and do round 1 loss, round 2 win, round 3 win. My opening game is to get card advantage and just that. I'm wondering if I'm going to get destroyed in ranked though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's a psychological thing. Inexperienced players who lose the first round will overcompensate on the second round, and that's extremely easy to leverage into a third round win.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Xtanstic posted:

Beyond what the guys above said about devs being better (it's true), I jumped ship during closed beta.

Advantages over HS:
-Easy landmarks each day (win 6 crowns, win 12 crowns) that I prefer over the HS quest system
-As a result of the above, you can accumulate cards faster. You can casually average 1-2 kegs a day easily.
-Each game feels more involved. I play HS on my second monitor while browsing/watching twitch
-Due to rarity restrictions, there is effectively a cap on the cost of a deck
-It genuinely plays like a different game and it's a fun change of pace for someone who's been playing HS since the beta like me

Cons over HS:
-Oh god the UI

I'd say having three (at least) different scales for card quality is pretty silly, design wise. Bronze, silver, gold, fine. Animated special versions, cool. But then the white, blue, purp, orange scale on top of that? :psyduck:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I wonder how they'll nerf Queensguard. Losing 3 power(1 each) isn't enough but losing 6(2 each) might be too much. I guess maybe remove their Veteran ability? So they'd be the same strength in round 1, 3 less round 2, and 6 less round 3.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Steve2911 posted:

I'd say having three (at least) different scales for card quality is pretty silly, design wise. Bronze, silver, gold, fine. Animated special versions, cool. But then the white, blue, purp, orange scale on top of that? :psyduck:

That's why they changed golds and silvers to always be the same rarity.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

RatHat posted:

I wonder how they'll nerf Queensguard. Losing 3 power(1 each) isn't enough but losing 6(2 each) might be too much. I guess maybe remove their Veteran ability? So they'd be the same strength in round 1, 3 less round 2, and 6 less round 3.

Maybe leave them as is, but each queensguard summons 1 other queensguard rather than all of them?

Hitting them for 2 but buffing cerys some small amount to compensate would also be okay

I spend 5 or so games playtesting a discard skellige deck revolving around ciri:dash and man, it's just an inferior queensguard. You get really strong turn 1/2s thanks to longships and raiders, but it has no way to close out a game and ciri certainly isn't doing it since half the time she doesn't show up and even best case scenario she ends up at 15 or 16 str. I should probably give up on my dream of making ciri:dash work. :v:

That said, Discard Skellige seems like it has potential and is straight forward to play. Just not sure what silvers and golds it needs to best tie it together. Restore is so terrible now. :(

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

RatHat posted:

Effort on the resurrection and -1 power? It'd be a 4-5 power loss, halfway between your proposed points.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Oh I just got Iris, she seems like a super good card.

Took me a sec to remember who she was, and then I got sad. :smith:

I couldn't think where in the books she was, remind me ??

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008

Mr. Pool posted:

I couldn't think where in the books she was, remind me ??

She's from Hearts of Stone, the W3 expansion.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Just realized most Premium cards also have audio. Sadly you can only hear it if you actually own the card though.

EDIT: Also jiggle physics

RatHat fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 29, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

RatHat posted:

Just realized most Premium cards also have audio. Sadly you can only hear it if you actually own the card though.

EDIT: Also jiggle physics

I always right click premiums to hear them if an opponent plays them. Skald's got some nice bagpipes, and there's a full lute session from a filled bar for Draig Bon-Dhu

Just avoid premium field medics

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

nothing feels as good as willingly tying a game you can win for your opponent :unsmith:

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
I just got turn 1 Tibor'ed!

and he tried to pass early on round 2 and got toruvieled :3

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013

Minrad posted:

That said, Discard Skellige seems like it has potential and is straight forward to play. Just not sure what silvers and golds it needs to best tie it together. Restore is so terrible now. :(

I've been running

Gold: Ermion, Cerys, Geralt, Triss
Silver: Gremist, Sigfrida, Champion of Champions, Morkvarg, Olgierd, Training Dummy
Bronze: 3x Brokvar, 3x Longship, 3x Priestess, 2x Adrenaline Rush, Savage Bear, First Light, and a couple skirmishers

with pretty good success. If they don't kill Champion quickly (or if you use Sigfrida to bring him back right away) and you can make him resilient the game is basically over. If they are able to get rid of Champion, you've kept them busy and made them waste damage cards while you set up a Brokvar/Longship combo or get Olgierd, Morkvarg (who I pull out with Crach), and Cerys on your board for the Cerys pull in round 3 (or in round 2 if you get lucky on priestess draws). I'm sure people who've been playing longer than me can poke holes in this, but it feel fairly solid. Play a big first turn and start turn 2 with 13+ points on the board. If you get beat down in turn 1, you'll be bringing most of it back anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So many people fall for the Operator/Priestess of Freya/Savage Bear trap. :allears:

Minrad posted:

nothing feels as good as willingly tying a game you can win for your opponent :unsmith:

What happens with that? Do both players just get credit for winning 2 rounds?

RatHat fucked around with this message at 09:02 on May 29, 2017